• Published 22nd Oct 2014
  • 1,354 Views, 23 Comments

Just A Different Kind Of Different - Bucking Nonsense



A changeling doctor, due to a single act of kindness, ends up drawn into a struggle between a tribe of zebras and a powerful, and very evil, shaman...

  • ...
5
 23
 1,354

Fishing For... Zebras?

"Well, this is a fine mess."

Green Bottle looked over the river before him, frustrated. After getting hurled from Canterlot at high speeds, it was no wonder he'd have gotten lost. He'd landed, thankfully, in a soft patch of leaves and other detritus, which had cushioned his fall. However, he was utterly lost, and had only succeeded in exiting a thick and rather primeval looking piece of woodlands just a moment before. Now he faced a clear landmark, a river that, while deep and wide, was thankfully rather gentle in its flow (It would be easy to cross, which was good since Green was not a strong swimmer, and his wings were still too sore from his landing to risk flight just yet), it would be a good landmark to use to get his bearings... were it not for the fact that his knowledge of Equestrian geography was slightly less than his knowledge of the mating habits of seaslugs.

Night was quickly falling, and it would be a bad idea to try and travel in the darkness. He spotted a small hill on the other side of the river, a cave clearly visible, a perfect place to take shelter until morning. He looked over the river one more time, and readied himself for the swim across, when he saw something completely unexpected...

There was a zebra on the opposite shore of the river, clearly unconscious... or worse.

Without hesitation, Green dove in, and began paddling to the other side. While not a strong swimmer by any length of the imagination, concern lent him wings (Or perhaps flippers), allowing him to cross the river in record time. Once clear of the river himself, he pulled the unconscious zebra ashore, and began a cursory examination.

The patient was a zebra, female, eighteen or nineteen years old. While her body was slightly cold, it was within normal tolerances, and her heartbeat, while weak, was still steady. However, she was not breathing. Otherwise, she was in good health, and with no visible injuries. Treatment? CPR.

Alternating between chest compressions and rescue breathing, Green went to work. On the third round of rescue breathing, the mare suddenly snapped to consciousness, her lips still locked with Green's (Always an awkward moment, but at least Green was not performing CPR on a male this time...). Pushing Green off of herself, the zebra took a deep breath, and began coughing. After a few seconds, the zebra's fit passed, and she began breathing normally.

Once her composure was restored, Green asked, "Are you alright?"

The zebra looked at him, a confused look on her face, and asked, "Utheni?"

Great... so apparently she didn't speak Equine. Green's knowledge of Zebric was rusty, but he might as well try. If he remembered right, she'd just asked, 'What did you say?'

Clearing his throat, he asked, "Ingabe ulungile?"" 'Are you okay?' At least, he hoped that was right...

Seemingly more surprised by the fact that he spoke Zebric than by her rescuer's odd appearance, the zebra replied, "Ngiyaphila, ngicabanga..." 'I am well, I think...' Then, looking around, she seemed startled by her surroundings. Her expression now one of near panic, she asked, "Iyini le ndawo? Ngikuphi!?!" 'Where is this place? Where am I!?!'

"Wena ezweni amahhashi," Green said, after a moment's hesitation. He couldn't remember the word for Equestria, so he'd resorted to 'You are in the land of horses.' Close enough, he supposed...

The zebra tensed for a moment, then seemed to take stock. After a moment, she said, in halting, but understandable, Equine, "This... is... Equestria?"

So she did know a little pony talk. Nodding, Green said, "Yes. This is Equestria. I'm, um, not sure where, exactly, in Equestria this is, but yes. This is Equestria."

Letting out a long breath, the zebra said, "I... I made it..." Looking up at Green, she paused, then said, in slightly better Equestrian, "Please, forgive my manners. My name is Idube. I... I have come a long way to reach this place. I thank you for..." she paused, seeming to struggle for the right words, before saying, "Umoya wokuphila." 'The breath of life'? Was that the right translation? Well, he supposed that was one way of describing what he'd done...

After a moment, she said, "I am deeply in your debt, but I fear I cannot repay you yet. I am in need of more help. I..."

Holding up his hoof, Green said, "It is getting dark, and I think you're just as cold as I am, after your trip down the river." Gesturing towards the cave, he continued, saying, "Let's get a fire going in there, and then you can give me the whole story. Alright?"

After a moment's hesitation (It seemed that, while she spoke Equine after all, her command of the language was a little bit shaky), she nodded and said, "Yes. That is good. I could do with warmth..."
--------------------------------

A few minutes later...

Her name, as she said, was Idube, and she was a princess.

Well, princess was not the right word for her role. A better translation would have been 'daughter of the chieftain of the chieftains', but princess rolled off the tongue easier. Her father, to hear her description of him, was a wealthy and powerful leader, ruler of a confederation of several large and powerful tribes. While the Zebra homelands had no single true king, there were several confederations like these, and Idube's was among the biggest.

Sadly, her position as daughter of the chief of chiefs meant that her husband would be next in line when her father passed away. While she'd been able to turn away the more repulsive suitors, one of them had decided he would not take no for an answer. Normally, this would be the kind of story that ended with 'And the jerk ended up impaled on a spear, the end', given that Idube was the apple of her father's eye, and he would not have forced her daughter to wed somebra that she did not love. However, this particular jerk was a powerful shaman (Well, that was how Green had translated the word, anyways)... one believed to be centuries old, and incredibly powerful in the ways of the dark arts...

The shaman had threatened to rain disasters down upon her father's tribes, should Idube refuse his advances. As a result, Idube's father was caught between love for his daughter, and his responsibilities to his subjects, and Idube, not wanting to force her father to make a decision between the two, had chosen to flee her homeland. She had set off for Equestria, hoping to beg for the aid of the princesses, since Celestia had been a friend of her father for many years. Idube had hoped that, with the aid of Luna and Celestia, it might be possible to defeat the shaman and save her people from his cruelties. After all, a practitioner of the dark arts could hardly be expected to be a kind ruler. Odds were, if he became the chieftain of chieftains, he'd just end up being a striped Sombra...

She'd not counted on the shaman following her, however. Nor had she expected the shaman to sink the ship she was sailing on in an attempt to capture her. Hopefully, the shaman thought her dead, killed by the storm he had summoned, and would pursue no further. However, if he did think her dead, he might decide to visit plagues and famines amongst her people out of spite...

"And so," she said in conclusion, "I need help in reaching the castle of the princesses as soon as possible. Can you help me get there?"

Author's Note:

Idube: A Zulu word for Zebra. Likewise, the 'Zebra' speech is also taken from google translate for Zulu. If I made any typos, please forgive me.

Comments ( 20 )

Looks interesting.

Buuuut, I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket here. Bucking, are you ever going to finish any of your other stories? Not that you have to, to roughly paraphrase Gaiman you do not owe us anything, but just recently you blogged about people losing interest in your stories after the first chapter. Part of that is just a fact of fanfiction, the most successful stories here have far fewer views on the last chapter than on the first. However, I have a feeling that it is also partly due to people not expecting much past a first chapter anyway, so they don't stick around.

5172369
I do, in fact, plan on going back to my other stories next month. I also plan on posting a chapter on The King Is Dead, Long Live The Emperor later this month. The only reason I'm posting this story instead of a chapter on one of the others is due to the fact that I'm currently on pain meds due to back problems... and we've seen what happens if I try to update one of my stories on pain meds. Since t his is a new story, I don't think that will make a major difference...

...I just hope I don't forget the plans I have for this story once I'm off the meds :twilightsheepish:

5172555

...I just hope I don't forget the plans I have for this story once I'm off the meds :twilightsheepish:

Write them down before you forget. :twilightsmile:

Also, I'm glad her name is Idube, as I also have a zebra 'princess' character, and having the same name would be awkward. XD

(Intala warra mootii, (Tala for short) if you were wondering.)

5173063
In the words of the eternal bard... "Damn, nature! You scary!"

So, not from the same area/region as Zecora, then?

Awesome beginning of a new story ... interesting protagonists ... I think Green is only something like the second Changeling doctor/healer/medic I've seen on this site. Does he know any healing magic? He is an Aristo, so he can cast spells; but could he learn spells developed by other spellcasters/spellcasting traditions? If so, would that be limited to Unicorn spells, or could he learn stuff from Sphinxes, Zebras, etc? Speaking of Zebras, I kinda like that you're using Zulu for their language.

I have one nitpick, though ... Green only needs to use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, not CPR since Idube has a pulse. Sorry, I'm friends with too many medical professionals, and that has begun to bug me (no pun intended).

5173598
Nope. It would be weirder if she was: Africa is a large continent with a diverse population. The continent zebras come from would be much the same.

That's an interesting start. Since Green Bottle is interested in healing, and Zecora is a healer, it might be good for them to meet despite her being from a different region, with possibly a different language. Unless the two tribes are traditional enemies of course... That could be a little bit too interesting, as story complications go. :twilightoops:
Dagnabbit. Now I want a Zecora smilie...

5174770 They're expatriates, with Idube being a refugee, and I don't think we know for sure why Zecora came to Equestria. Combine that with Zecora at least being pretty level-headed, I don't think there'll be anything other than some initial tensions unless their nations were full-on at war with each other when one or both left.

Saw a changeling story. Thought it looked interesting.
Saw who it was written by.
:pinkiegasp:
Instant watch list.

If somebody has a pulse you DO NOT use chest compressions. Doing so can stop the heart.
The proper response here is to check for and remove airway blockages, then give rescue breaths.

5177365
> Changeling with zero formal medical training

Just sayin'... :scootangel:

5183937
This counts as basic first aid, and he said he 'talked shop' with doctors. I'm pretty sure the Hive doesn't get cable, so if he knows CPR well enough to do it then he would reasonably also know when to use it.

A bit rushed, I must say.

5184403
I read a little bit about how to treat drowning victims (The internet doesn't give a lot on that), and it recommended CPR at the earliest possible time if the subject isn't breathing. Didn't say to leave out chest compressions (I would have assumed that it was to help force any water out of the lungs), so I left those in. Sorry.

Alright, I've been thinking... What if that dark shaman did that on purpose? He saw potential in Idube, she would make a good dark shaman herself. So he make her feel negative emotions, so her magical gift become dark, and her heart bitter. Like Sith Lord torturing Jedi to evoke negative emotions, make her feel the power of Dark Side and fall. If she marry him - okay, he can be bad husband and torture her this way, and also kill her father and torture his subjects. If she flee - he can follow her and torture her other ways, like he did in text. And eventually she'll fall, if nopony will help her. But any helpers except alicorns are mortal... and seeing friends dying will be good torture too.

Am I right?

Login or register to comment