• Published 30th Oct 2014
  • 785 Views, 39 Comments

The Forgotten Kind - HollyB



Cassie Quattor's life is about to be turned upside down when she finally realises what is real... and what is false on both her Earth and Equestria's.

  • ...
3
 39
 785

1. Clear Memories

7 years later.


The alarm woke me up. It screamed into my ear, like it did every morning, until I would have to pretty much break it to get it to stop. Sometimes it won't even stop then.

After I had bashed it quiet, I spent about ten minutes just laying there half-asleep. I'm not a particularly lazy person, but this is what always happens on a Monday morning. For me I guess its sort of a ritual. Monday after Monday. As you can guess, I solidly hate Mondays.

"Cassiiiiiiieeee!"

I bolted upright and yelled "Coming!"

Throwing some clothes on, I stopped to see if my phone was charged, shoved it in my pocket, grabbed my backpack (which I had mercifully packed the night before) and ran down the hallway.

I arrived in the kitchen in a bit of a mess. With my school shirt crumpled, and my skirt hitched up waaaaay too above my knees, I looked like I had just, well, gotten out of bed...

"What the hell Cassie? You were supposed to be ready..." my mother paused and looked at her watch.

"A whole half hour ago! Were you asleep again? I keep telling you to put your alar-"

"-clock earlier. Yeah I know."

"Don't give me that cheekiness. You only know it off by heart because you never get up in the morning. If you wanted to get to school on time, we would have to set your alarm a day earlier than it is..."

I heard the bus pull up outside, and started to run out the door.

"Wait!" yelled Mum.

I pulled up outside. "What?"

"Your bag!" my mother said wearily, as she pecked me on the cheek and handed me the bag. "Have a nice day, Hun."

"See you..." I groaned awkwardly.

I turned around and knew immediately what was going to happen when I got on the bus - the taunting and mocking would begin. I smiled though, because at least I had remembered to pack the nail polish remover, which was to be used at least every week when gum was shoved into my hair.

I know, it sounds like the classic bully victim story. And I guess I'm not really a victim. I have a choice in being bullied. But I blew completely it because of the incident I had when I was in kindergarten. And to be honest - I don't want to talk about it, especially since my parents would probably threaten me with a psychologist again.

Even so, I fingered my pendent nervously. The white stone on it was always warm, and I always thought I could see swirling colors and silhouettes in it. I mean, when I was little. I'm just not that gullible or dumb anymore - I was way too imaginative when I was a kid.

I don't even know where it came from. My dad has asked me to take it off so may times that I just don't even listen anymore. So what if I don't want to part with it? Its just a necklace.

I stopped fiddling and hid it back in my shirt as I boarded the bus.

The torment began immediately. As soon as the bus started its engine again a girl stood up as I started to walk down the bus isle.

Oh crap. Maddie.

Just don't even look at her. I thought, panicking. Keep your head low. Just walk right past her and sit down.

"Hey Hun." she smirked as I neared her. "Did widdle Cassie forget her wunchbawg agawn today? Oh dear. So forgetful."

"Just let me sit down Maddison." I said quietly.

"What?" she asked, flicking her long caramel-coloured hair behind her. She was looking down on me. I could tell.

"I said let me sit down." I whispered, looking up to face her.

"But why-"

"Maddison, let me sit down. Now."

Huh? Where did that come from... oh no. I should have kept my mouth shut... I thought as Maddie's face started to redden. Her fists were clenched. Oops...

"No one interrupts me! Especially you you disgusting piece of-"

"Of what?! What Maddie, what?"

She looked like she had been slapped. She glared at me. There was hurt in her eyes, and I felt bad for no reason. "No.. one. No one ever calls me.."she spat out the word. "Maddie. Ever."

But I really could not stop myself.

"Oh. Oopsies. So you gonna go cry to your mummy now are ya?" I snarled.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?! my thoughts screamed. Shes gonna kill us!!

Maddie drew back a fist. Her green eyes glinted.
"Take that back."

"Maddison, I'm sorry okay..."I stuttered, coming to my senses at last. The bus pulled up at the school curb.

She put her fist down. She grinned at her bimbo friends, then looked back to me and said, "We'll finish with you later. Now get lost, loser."

I practically ran off the bus.

********

"Maddie! Happy birthday!" The little girl squealed as her best friend threw herself into her arms.

"Cassie! Did you get me a prezzie? Do you want party food? Wait, I think first you should put that massive present down on the table... is it for me?"

"Yup!"

"Wow! Its massive!" she ran around it hyperly. "How much did it cost?"

"A million dollars." Cassie said matter-of-factly.

"Oh my, really? I only have five dollars...."

Cassie smiled as she rambled on. Maddie was totally her best friend, after Tempera. Maybe one day she would introduce them to each other.

"....but my dad gave me a whole dollar today, so I guess that means that I actually have six dollars... are you getting bored Cass? Lets go outside!"

"Okay!" said Cassie, who was starting to zone-out.

Maddie grabbed her hand and dragged her out the door into the sunshine.

*********

I walked out onto the playground cautiously. I started to head toward the library, as I did most days. I avoided the usual uncertain glares that came my way and yet again stared at the ground.

Thunk.

Oh dear God.... I thought as I looked at the small pink sneakers I had walked into.

"Sorry... Maddison..."

"You will be sorry after this, you little turd. How dare you insult me on the bus? You are a mas-"

I had looked up during her little speech. She was staring at my neck... huh?

All of a sudden, she started to strangle me.

"Gagh!" I choked. She had my necklace. I.. I must have left it out of my shirt.

"Give it to me! I want it!" she cried. I was struggling, yet everyone on the playground was ignoring me. She glanced over to her friends. "Help me!" she yelled.

I was feeling faint, and keeping the necklace on was practically choking me, but I held on just the same. I couldn't let it go. I just couldn't.

Why?

"Give it to me and nothing will happen! If you don't, we'll hurt you!"

I whimpered and splayed my arm out to grab the pendent. I missed, but tried again. This time, I grabbed the stone for a millisecond. Light flashed in my eyes and a wave of power surged through me.

"No!"I screamed, and shoved them all away from me.

And I ran.

********

"What are you talking about? You have not even told me about this the whole time!" cried Maddie. "Why wouldn't you tell me? I... I thought we were friends. Best friends. Forever, remember?"

"Yes, its just... well I've known Temp a lot longer then you, and she was my first best friend-"

"So you kept this from me for longer than I could count? So she's your real best friend huh?!"

"No Madd, but.. its just.." Cassie stuttered, trying to find the right word to say.

"Well if she's your real best friend, then I don't care! You can go play around with her now. Go drown with her in her stupid sea cave why don't you? Just... just" her eyes welled up with tears. "I hate you! I don't ever want to see you again!"

"Maddie! Wait..."

"And don't call me Maddie. I never want to speak to you ever again!"Maddison cried, her caramel hair blowing in front of her face as she slammed Cassie's front door shut and ran home in the rain.

Author's Note:

Okay. First chapter, over and done with. Phew! Still looking for fan artists and possibly an editor?
Contact me if you are up to it!
Okay... so Cassie - seven years after the Tempera Glow incident. She has gotten over it pretty well, considering the loss of her other, human best friend, Maddie. And after all that, she is completely shunned at school because of it too.
But today, well, she snaps. Flips out. And does a completely Cassie thing - runs.
I hope y'all are enjoying the little flashback scenes I have put in there as well.
Puzzled about waht happened after the prologue? That's coming up in a chapter eventually. Same as Temp (you missing her yet?)
Cassie's day is not going well!
Please comment below - I love comments!
Also like! (don't forget the like...)
Stay tuned till next time!