• Published 30th Oct 2014
  • 784 Views, 39 Comments

The Forgotten Kind - HollyB



Cassie Quattor's life is about to be turned upside down when she finally realises what is real... and what is false on both her Earth and Equestria's.

  • ...
3
 39
 784

Prologue

Cassie woke to the dead of the night. The dead of silence.

Huu.. huh..? What woke me up?

She looked around the room, blearily nervous. She cried out when her eyes settled on a large dark shape on her desk chair. Her eyes suddenly adjusted to the light and she sighed.
Its... its.. just a robe? Ugh. Why are you such a baby? She sighed as tears pooled in her eyes and she ran her hands through her chocolate coloured hair, tugging at it like it were a lifeline. The events of the previous day had bored holes in her mind, and replayed again and again.. and again.

No one else is a scaredy cat like you.

People were laughing at her. Even her teacher had laughed, making it even worse. she remembered looking up at the picture she drew of a unicorn, hanging up high on a piece of string, masking her shame. Or perhaps, it was the thing conveying it to her.

She noticed that her small moon-shaped night light had gone off, and the source of light was the real moonlight flowing in through the open window. Cassie's long white curtains fluttered in the breeze. She froze.
I... I never leave my window open, she thought giddily. Is there someone in the house? What if they find me here? What about my parents? She sat there for a while as buzzing, irritating, worrying thoughts surrounded her.

Nonononono.

She snapped.

"Stop!" she cried. To herself? To intruders? Realising what she had done, she shoved her hand over her mouth, and looked around, petrified.

She remembered. She remembered shouting at them all. Her kindergarten classmates went silent. The teacher came over to her, said something in a horrible condescending voice. "Unicorns aren't real Cassie. You should know that. Now lets stop this nonsense and go back to colouring."

Cassie remembered the stinging of her hand as she slapped the teacher across the face. She remembered the horror on her classmates and friends faces. She remembered the tears running down her face as she ran out of the classroom, out onto the streets and onto the beach.

And she remembered the feeling of the silky white fur of the unicorn filly, her unicorn friend she sobbed to that night, until the policemen had finally found her, alone and unconscious on the sand, in the beach cave, with an amulet around her pale neck.
She remembered

*******

"Cassie, you know it makes me sad whenever you cry.... please stop. Cassie... Cass?"

"I'm s-sorry. I.. I just don't k-know what to do. People... they just won't believe me. A-and they think I'm crazy, bu-but they're the crazy ones Temp and... please, I don't know what to do." sniffled Cassie.

Tempera Glow lit up.

"Cassie! You can come to Equestria with me! Remember? I've told you about this hundreds of times. The castles, the ponies, the food - oh the food! And the pegasi are awesome, and you can come and live with me. It will be amazing! You and me, best buds forever. Right?"

"R-right!" Cassie said, brightening. "This could work! Then we'll always be friends! And you won't have to come through here again. I'll be right there!"

Tempera nodded happily.

"In fact, in honor of our friendship, I am giving you this...." the unicorn said, pulling a rough metal chain off of her thick red mane. "It's really special, and it's hundreds of years old, so you have to be careful with it."

"Oh, wow... of course I will Temp. Um..." she said slipping it on, and wondering what to give her.
"And this... is for you." she smiled, whipping off her tiny, sapphire laden bracelet, fitting it above Temp's silver hoof snugly.

"There."

"Best friends? Forever and ever?" whispered Temp.

"You mean, best friend until the sun makes our whole entire universe explode?"

"Yes, if that's forever."

"Then yes. Of course we are."

Cassie lent into Tempera, and clutching the warm stone of the amulet, they watched the stars until they fell asleep.

********

She remembered.

********

"Please don't. Please Daddy! I don't want to go..."

"Cassandra, stop being so silly. We were worried sick about you. You were gone for hours!"

"Where are we going?'' Cassie asked as she was pulled along by her obviously angry parents.

''You're not answering! Where are we going? Mummy? Please...."

"We're going to a nice man." was all her mother replied.

"No! I want to go back! I don't know where Tempera is! Please-"
Her father looked at her angrily.

"The unicorn?"

"Yes," replied Cassie with mounting panic. "Tempera Glow... I... I need to find her!"
Her father' s worry quickly boiled over with rage.

"Cassie, open your eyes - there are no unicorns!" her father snarled, as he shoved her into the car. "You need help. We're going now. Stop the nonsense or else."

"Daddy, please, she's real! Its true... oh, why won't you believe me? Please!"

Cassie lunged for the door, but was too late as her mother locked it and they drove off in a broken, shattered silence.
Broken, because Cassie cried.

********

Why wont they understand? I... I know I'm just a kid but... please... just believe me... she thought with tears reaching her cold cheeks. She thought too much. It crowded her head and body and life. She let go of her hair and grabbed the warm black stone on the end of the rough metal chain. It filled her with a beautiful sensation. She blinked, and all of a sudden, she knew what she could do.

I'm going.

She ran around her room frantically, shoving clothes into a small backpack, her spare one for school. She felt like she was stealing from her parents as she tip-toed down to the kitchen and nabbed food and water, and felt just as bad taking $50 from the spare money jar, that was always under the bathroom sink.

What am I doing?

Shaking the thoughts out of her head, and clutching the pendant to her chest, with tears freeing themselves onto her face, she clambered out of the window and ran into the darkness, with the moon watching over her.

Author's Note:

This is my first chapter of my first story... how exiting! Please comment, even if you didn't like it. I love comments - they help me so much on my writing! Every comment boosts me towards being a better writer, so thanks if you do!
So if you don't get it so far, Cassie believes in unicorns, and has heard of Equestria. That makes her pretty special, but she is strongly misunderstood, and is then taken to a psychologist's session. Cassie is terrified of almost everything, but as you can see, she is whole when she is near Tempera Glow. You will figure out the reason to this later, but for now, NO SPOILERS! :)
I am looking for someone that can do a cover and fan art for my story (for free please...). If you think you are up to it, please contact me at either here:
http://holleeb.deviantart.com/
or just on my page on this site.
Same with an editor - please contact me if you want to edit my stories!
Thank you for reading and stay tuned for Cassie's (and possibly Temp's...) return in the next few chapters...