• Published 20th Oct 2014
  • 2,783 Views, 55 Comments

Campfire Stories - Admiral Biscuit



There is nothing more traditional than exchanging scary stories around a campfire. It started with cavemen; even on a strange new pony world, you find that the tradition is no different. And boy, do you have a scary story to tell.

  • ...
7
 55
 2,783

Inconcievable Horror

Campfire Stories
Admiral Biscuit

Some things were universal, it seemed. Love was one. While science continued the debate about whether or not non-human species could feel emotions like love (much to the chagrin of pet-owners), you had firsthand proof that they could and did.

But that wasn't really so surprising. Even if things hadn't turned out to be mostly like movies had led to you to believe, it was too much of a stretch to believe that an alien species could prosper and gain sapience without a sense of empathy for the other, and with that, a feeling of love.

Science could go on with its boring explanations of mirror neurons and modeling the self onto the other. Freudians could have their explanations of psychology, and fMRIs could demonstrate that humanity is nothing but a largish lump of cauliflower with electrical impulses; philosophers could debate what is real and what is not, and none of it really changed a thing. Humanity, as it had in the centuries before psychology and modern diagnostic instruments, continued on regardless.

At least, that was a reasonable assumption. You weren't there to see it any more. You'd somehow found yourself in a different world, a world full of sapient candy-colored ponies.


That they possessed their own humanity—or ponyanity—was beyond debate. They'd taken you in and cared for you; they'd given gifts with no expectation of those gifts being returned. They'd fed you and clothed you and given you shelter, and they'd patiently taught you their language. Many of them had become your friends, and their friendships had been just as varied as those you'd had back on Earth. You did silly physical things with Rainbow Dash and Applejack; calm and quiet things with Rarity and Fluttershy; intellectual things with Twilight Sparkle, and random things with Pinkie Pie. Every relationship was expressed differently, and yet they all helped make a whole. There was probably some German word for it in a philosophy textbook.

Taken apart, all six mares lived very different lives; yet together, they all formed a tight-knit group, one pony's weakness offset by another's strength. It reminded you of some of the cliques you had back on Earth.

In short, your observations led you to believe that humanity had much in common with alien races, and it was a relieving thought. Movies and books tended to focus on the differences—and there were many—but overall, the general similarities were more pronounced.

One of those similarities was fire. You'd been to a fair number of campfires during your time on Earth, and even on an alien world, the flames were no less compelling. As the night's chill set upon you, and you glanced up at a million million stars, the warm body pressed up against you and the dancing light of the flames was essentially no different than it had been on earth, a shared collective memory between you, the ponies, and tens of thousands of years of ancestral memory. Of course, just like humans, the ponies had lost the ability to cook actual food over an open fire, but just as on earth, charred food on sticks was no less tasty.

And after the snacks had been consumed and the night had well and truly fallen, it was time to share scare stories around the campfire.

It was fair to assume—as it had been on Earth—that said stories had only the barest grain of truth to them, and yet when you were in the wilderness with only the light of the fire between you and every monster that ever had been or would be, there was a fundamental sincerity behind them. And, just like the campfires you'd attended as a youngster, the group split into its own sub-groups—the storytellers, the listeners, and the skeptics.

As on Earth, the borders between the groups were fluid. Each story would have its own teller, and its own listeners and skeptics, so what was true for one was not for the next, and that was the way that it ought to be. Never before had you been around a campfire where the possibility of what might be was so pronounced.

Unsurprisingly, Rainbow had begun, and what her tale lacked in plausibility, it made up for in enthusiasm. You were unsurprised when at the end of it, Twilight had offered a critique, and Rainbow had challenged her to tell a scarier story.

The librarian had tried—but she got bogged down in details. If there had been a hoof-motion for a footnote, she would have used it.

Rarity's story had kind of stuck to middle ground. It was enough to make Fluttershy tremble, but not enough to make the librarian do more than shake her head slightly.

Pinkie's story had been interesting, but you had trouble following along. It could have done better without a couple of the non-sequiturs. Judging by the reaction of the rest of the girls, you're not alone in thinking that. Twilight ended up one plot twist behind, while Rainbow got stuck in a semi-permanent eye-roll. Pinkie didn't seem to care that her tale fell slightly flat; she promptly returned to toasting marshmallows over the fire again. One day, perhaps, you'll be sent to a world where all the s'more ingredients are equally distributed, but that isn't your world and it isn't theirs, either.

It's no surprise that Fluttershy failed to tell a scary story: at the end, you were rooting for the monster.

The fire burned low as Applejack told her tale. Unlike all the others, there was a sincerity in her telling that was somehow lacking in the others, and while it was perhaps a bit less frightening, you had no trouble believing that it's firmly grounded in the bedrock of Truth.

And now it is your turn. As six pairs of eyes turn towards you, you take a moment to yourself to drink in the scene. The flickering firelight casts spooky shadows across the glade, but at the same time, the warm body pressed against your own speaks of an intimacy which transcends species. It is only fitting that you, the stranger amongst them, tells your story last, and it goes without saying that your tale will be added to their canon and re-told around campfires much like this one. As such, there is a ritualistic feel to it, and you take one long slow sip of your cider before looking directly in the eyes of each mare in turn. All ears are—quite literally—on you.

You lean forward, letting the dying embers of the fire warm you, for the tale you are about to tell is chilling beyond belief, all the more so because it is absolutely true. Your six companions do the same, preparing themselves for what it about to come. As soon as Fluttershy huddles up, you clear your throat and begin your story.

“Let me tell you about the American political system.”

Author's Note:

A One-Shot-Ober fic

Comments ( 55 )

Am I trying to give the ponies a heart attack. That's to terrifying for anyone.

"And they were never held accountable again. BLARHARHARHARHARHARHARHAR!"

:fluttershbad:

5161818
The very process is chilling. In a very few weeks, those of us who are old enough will once again cast our ballots, and then find out over the next few years how miserably our elected leaders have failed us.

5161835
This alone could be a reason that ponies would never want to come to earth.

Just a few days ago, I was discussing Mares of Diomedes--which has a 50/50 upvote to downvote ratio--and I realized that it still has a higher approval rating than Congress.

Of course, I'm pretty sure 'being kicked in the nuts' also has a higher approval rating than Congress.

Help, oh god, please! The commercials! The flyers! Make it stop! MAKE IT STOAAARRBLARGGGGGAAAAGHHHHHHhhh...

5161872
Whole forests were destroyed for the purpose of making fliers to tell you how much of an environmentalist candidate X is.

I approve this message.

5161934
It gives me shudders, sir. Shudders.

. . . MY LUNGS!

:rainbowlaugh:

jz1

I laughed so hard when I read the end. Now I really want to see how his story went!

5162099
Just watching the news is depressing enough. If I actually had to tell the story, I think I'd cry.

5162104

'Tis a horrifying tale indeed. :rainbowderp:

:pinkiecrazy:

:rainbowlaugh:

the horror

What sick, twisted reason could you possibly have for subjecting ponies to that?

Well, that ending was utter nonsense. After all, a campfire setting is not the appropriate medium for such a tale.
...
...
...
Ya need PUPPETS. :pinkiehappy:

.......... :ajsleepy:

"Goddamnit"

5162165
I get depressed just thinking about it.

5162327
Heh, I should have included a Flower Pony reaction gif.

5162980
Hey, they wanted a scary story. :rainbowlaugh:

5163347
Or a tavern, with lots and lots of drinks.

The American political system? Have you ever been in the Czech Republic? That's what I call a ghost story.
But you did a very good job. You will get a mustache. :moustache:

Those poor Ponies. No one should be subjected to hearing about that!

Reads chapter title:

5161868

But the highest approval rating is reserved for watching congress get kicked in the nuts. With the 535 congresscritters (435 house plus 100 senate), a one-hour show (minus the standard 15 minutes of commercials) could devote a full 5 seconds to each groin kick. I think a new constitutional amendment is in order, specifically to mandate this once every year. :pinkiecrazy:

5165551
OMG yes. I would pay to see that.

5164278
It's true we don't have the worst system in the world. But it could be a lot better.

I feel our forefathers imagined educated men having calm, rational decisions, and reaching an informed compromise. We've sure let them down.

I have a scary story it's about the time when the hospital I work at ran out of coffee and me going behind the counter and searching for the coffee because I couldn't believe they not only did they not have any coffee but slipped up a forgot to order more coffee, HOW THE HELL DOES THAT HAPPEN!

5166623
I can only imagine the horror. It's like a group of actors running out of alcohol.

This story got me thinking: has Belgium formed a government yet?

5164278 I think the Hong Kong political/social system is wayy worse, considering how much time we're spending over here getting pepper sprayed and beaten with batons. Brings a new meaning to the word 'unaccountable'.

(For those of you who don't know, we basically get to elect an opposition but China gets to choose our government. Our Congress is 50% made up of legislators who are accountable to 7m people and 50% made up of legislators who are accountable to a couple of millionaires. The result is about as bad as the international press makes it out to be.)

Wonderful story though. I always love the feeling I get when reading prose that flows so smoothly and naturally. Think the English word for that is 'immersion' :ajsmug:.

5172025 What can I say? Every country has something that makes it special.

Hehehehehehehe....

5204322
As the mid-term election nears, this story just gets both funnier and more tragic.

In truth, the American political system was designed rather well, and owes most of it's problems to simple human nature and our cleverness in finding ways to defeat our own systems. The most perfect system imaginable would still fail, given such a population.

5293157

In truth, the American political system was designed rather well, and owes most of it's problems to simple human nature and our cleverness in finding ways to defeat our own systems.

There's a lot of truth to that. I think our founding fathers had a nobler vision of politics than what we have currently.

5294791 One serious problem is that most of them never imagined us growing and expanding across the whole blasted continent as we have.

That finishing line was hilarious, by the way. This story will give the ponies new appreciation for their wise Princesses.

5450648

One serious problem is that most of them never imagined us growing and expanding across the whole blasted continent as we have.

That's very true, and I would imagine it's stubornness/tradition that kept our capital on the middle of the East Coast even as the country expanded Westward. Of course, these days with airplanes and cell phones and whatnot, it doesn't really matter where the capital is.

That finishing line was hilarious, by the way.

Thanks!

5450801 At various points a more inland location was suggested. I know Cincinnati has been proffered at least once. The original placement of Washington and the District of Columbia was a sop to Southern leaders in order to get them to go along with other political deals.

I would also point out that Virginia and Maryland each gave up land to form the District of Columbia, so that literally no State could lay claim to being the home of the American capital city. Try getting any State to yield its land today, even for something that important.

5453210
Well, for what it's worth, Michigan gave up Toledo to get the UP.

Of course, that was over a century ago.

More recently, I bet Michigan would give Flint to the federal government, if they wanted it. But they'd have to take it all.

Comment posted by Yonder Strange Things deleted Jan 16th, 2015

5509965 Totally different situation, and as you pointed out yourself, a century and more behind us now.
Today no State would even think twice before saying no.

5510457
except for Flint

But yeah, I agree with you.

Unless the feds kicked in some really sweet swag....

5510474 Flint?

Yes, like another, more profitable stretch of land.

...And some cake.

...And Belgium.

Lol that was unexpected, At this point perhaps a random presidential lottery might work better, or we could just wait for our robot overlords.

5512740
I'd go for a random lottery. It sounds more fun.

TRUTH!

Though I was mildly disappointed by the lack of an actual story XD

5609921

Though I was mildly disappointed by the lack of an actual story XD

That's a fair complaint, to be honest. This really is a shaggy dog joke, but it was written in a hurry (One-Shot-Ober), during the performance of a play where I had a lead role (Dracula; I was VanHelsing), and during election season.

I probably would have done better to make it much shorter, and just added it to Everypony's Drunk and Speaking Russian For Some Reason.

Was not expecting that at the end. That would be a maddening and terrifying story to tell.

Login or register to comment