• Published 18th Oct 2014
  • 3,261 Views, 39 Comments

Sunset's Reprieve - Cheerilyra



Sunset Shimmer feels mistreated at Canterlot High and wants to go back to Equestria.

  • ...
12
 39
 3,261

Going Home

Chapter 1: Going Home

Canterlot High’s Battle of the Bands was a huge success. Not only did the school raise a lot of money for future school activities, but the Dazzlings were defeated by Twilight and her friends with the help of Sunset Shimmer. The students were released from the spell that the Dazzlings put upon them, and the three of them were expelled from Canterlot high. Twilight stayed in this parallel world for the next couple of days in order to spend time with her friends and make sure everything returned to normal at the school. Tonight was the last night that she would be staying in this world; she would be going back to Equestria tomorrow. The seven of them were staying over at Rarity’s place for one last celebration before twilight went home.

“Thank you for letting us all spend the night Rarity. I will miss all of you girls once I am gone.” Twilight said smiling, thinking how nice they have been to her this past week.

“Not at all darling, you helped get rid of the Dazzlings from the school, it’s the least I could do.” Rarity exclaimed as the other 6 nodded in agreement. The seven of them ordered pizza for the night, as they wanted to cherish the moments they had left with their friend.

“It was because of Sunset Shimmer that we were able to defeat them, I only helped.” Twilight said. All of them began to smile at Sunset, and she began to blush.

“Oh you guys it was nothing, I just couldn’t stand there and watch you get hurt. I was just tired of everyone thinking I was still evil, so I decided to prove I was not by helping,” Sunset stammered as she took another slice of pizza.

The seven of them had fun all night, playing games like truth or dare and telling stories about both of their worlds. Sunset didn’t say much while they were telling stories and only laughed when the others laughed in order to seem like she was having fun.

I don’t have any stories; all of my good ones are from when I was back in Equestria. The only stories I have here are ones where I hurt people. She thought to herself, a couple of tears flowing out of her eyes. The group slowly began to die down as people were going to sleep after a long day of partying.

“Well I think I’m going to hit the hay, see you tomorrow you two,” Applejack yawned as she left the room. Now it was only Twilight and Sunset left in the room, and the two sat awkwardly staring at each other.

“Twilight… I-I have a question for you, a-and I really want you to think about it before you give me an answer.” Sunset stammered, preparing herself to ask one of the most difficult questions she had ever asked.

“What is it Sunset? Are you okay, did you get hurt during the battle, did the pizza make you feel sick, did Pinkie hug you too hard!?” Twilight exclaimed, nervous about the possibility that her new friend was injured.

“Nonono, it’s nothing like that,” Sunset chuckled nervously, but quickly replaced that chuckle with a serious face. “While we were telling stories, I realized that my only good stories are those from Equestria, and everyone besides our friends hate me here. I was wondering… now that I am not a raging she-demon and I partially understand what it means to be a friend… c-can I go home with you to Equestria?” Sunset stuttered, bursting into tears after asking the question.

Twilight rushed to comfort her friend, hugging her she pondered the question she was asked. “I cannot make that call, Celestia was the one who banished you here, and only she can allow you back. I can however go back and try and convince her to let you back. If she agrees, I can contact you through your journal and tell you if you can come back.” Twilight said carefully, trying not to hurt her friend’s feelings.

“Really…? You would do that for me, after all I have done in this world?” Sunset sobbed onto twilight’s shoulder.

“Of course, I consider you a friend now and friends help each other and don’t leave them behind,” Twilight said, releasing her hug on Sunset and smiling at her.

“Thank you Twilight, you don’t know how much this means to me, I won’t let you down. We should both get some sleep, big day tomorrow.” Sunset replied, wiping the tears from her face. The two got into their sleeping bags and drifted off to sleep, both worrying what events would unfold the next day.

--Next Day—

The next morning was a busy one, Twilight wanted to get back to Equestria before noon in order to talk to Celestia about Sunset. After a quick breakfast made by Applejack and Pinkie Pie, and a quick shower they were all out the door and headed to the school. The seven friends spent the last couple hours playing soccer and eating a cake that Pinkie baked for all of them. The seven gathered around the portal, hugging Twilight one last time before she left.

“Hopefully this isn’t the last time I see you guys, and Sunset I will talk to the Princess as soon as I get back but it may take a while to get to Canterlot.” Twilight mentioned while walking towards the portal. Everyone began to cry as their friend left their world, not knowing how long it would be before they saw her again.

-Back in Equestria-

Twilight stumbled out of the portal, and was surprised to see all of her friends waiting there to meet her. “Twilight, you got back here quickly, was there no problem in the other world?” Rarity questioned, a puzzled look upon her face seeing her friend standing there.”

“What do you mean, I was gone for a week. It took a lot longer than I expected to resolve the conflict over in the other world.” Twilight replied trying to figure out what happened.

“You were gone for only a couple of minutes; we were just about to leave.” Fluttershy said quietly, smiling at her friend because she was back.

Twilight examined the mirror, the machine surrounding it, and her notes that she took in making the device. “It must be because this is a weaker link to the other world, time must run slower here than in the other world. Well I’m still glad to be back either way, but I have to get to Canterlot at once. But first Spike, take a letter to the Princess.” Twilight said confidently.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I request a meeting with you today in order to talk about my encounter in the parallel universe and also to talk about some issue that needs to be resolved. I hope that you have time to meet with me; the issue is of upmost importance. Hope you are having a nice day.

Your Faithful Student,
Twilight Sparkle

Spike breathed his fire and the letter was sent out the window. Twilight’s five friends gathered around her, confused about what just happened. “Darling I don’t understand, what is so dire that you need to talk to the Princess today?” Rarity asked. Spike breathed out a letter back from the Princess, informing Twilight that she was free to discuss such matters.

“No time to explain, I will tell you all on the train. That is, if you are coming with me.” Twilight said. Twilight began trotting out the door, and the others began to follow. They got to the train station and boarded the next train to Canterlot. Once aboard the train, Twilight explained the situation with Sunset Shimmer and her experience in the other world.

“Wow! I can’t believe that all happened, but I’m glad to see that you beat the Dazzlings in the end! Do you really think the Princess will allow Sunset Shimmer back after all the problems she caused for Celestia?” Applejack exclaimed.

Twilight noticed that all of her friends were in awe after hearing the adventurous story she had just told. “I believe she will, since Sunset was only banished because of the hatred in her heart. Now that her hatred is gone and has been replaced with a simple understanding of friendship, I should be able to convince the Princess that she has changed and to let her back into Equestria.” She replied confidently.

The train arrived at Canterlot and the seven made their way up to the castle, it was only a short while until they arrived at the guard checkpoint in front of the castle. Twilight told the guards their purpose for being here and to let them through. The guards began to use their magic to search the seven, and the group yelled out in protest.

“Hey! What’s the meaning with these searches, I gave you the reason why we are here and you have confirmed our identification. There is no need to search us, it feels wrong when you scan us like we are being violated in a way!” Twilight exclaimed as the scanning spell swept over her.

“You get off of my sister and her friends, they had no reason to be searched.” The pony who said that came into view, it was Shining Armor and he did not like what he saw.

“Sorry Cap, but we’ve got strict orders from the Princess to search anyone who is trying to get into the castle, this does not exclude your sister and her friends.” A guard grunted.

“Well you’re done now, they are all clean so let them pass,” he replied, scowling at the officer that was talking to him.

The group passed through the check point and began walking up the stairs to the castle. “Shining what are you doing in Canterlot and why are the guards searching everyone who goes into the castle?” Twilight questioned.

The group stopped and Shining turned around. “There has been a serious threat made towards Princess Celestia, and anyone that is going into the castle is being searched for the Princess’s safety. I have been called back here from the Crystal Empire in order to protect her whenever she leaves the castle. Why are you here to see the Princess?” He replied.

“We are here in order to have a meeting with the Princess about the experiences I had while in the parallel world.” She replied and began to tell her brother about the experiences she had. “I am also here to talk to Celestia about allowing Sunset Shimmer to return to Equestria,” Twilight responded, noticing the shocked expression that her brother made.

“Why the HELL would you ever want that bastard to come back to Equestria, do you know how much pain she caused the Princess before and after she was banished? Celestia was in her room for DAYS, crying that she had to banish her student. Luna had to take up all her sisters work, Equestria was without a proper ruler, and no political issues got resolved during that time. If she were to come back to Equestria we have NO idea how Celestia would react.” Shining raged.

“She’s changed Shining, she is not evil anymore and is actually my friend in the other world. She has the right to argue her case and come back to Equestria!” She argued.

The two continued to bicker as the group made their way up to the throne room where the meeting would take place. As they entered the throne room Twilight saw the Princess signing important legal documents. She walked towards her mentor, wanting to embrace her like she would her mother. However, the guards rushed in front of the Princess, impeding Twilight’s process. The Princess looked up to see her student trying to get through the guards.

“Guards, I don’t believe there is a reason to protect me from my student, I believe she is not trying to take my life through a hug,” Celestia chuckled as the guards let Twilight through. She embraced her student; she thinks of how long it was since her last visit. She had missed Twilight; Twilight had always treated her like a normal pony and a friend, instead of royalty. “Twilight, my faithful student, how was your trip to the other world?”

Twilight began to tell her story to the Princess, describing her journey in great detail. Twilight noticed that whenever she mentioned Sunset’s name the Princess would wince like she was in great pain or remembering a horrible memory. Twilight finished her story and the Princess gave a weak smile. “Well it seems like you had a good time, I’m proud of you for saving the other world,” the Princess replied.

“Princess, I do have another have another thing to talk to you about if you don’t mind. It’s about Sunset Shimmer; she wants to make a request to you,” Twilight said, keeping in mind that her past student was a sensitive subject to her.

The look on Celestia’s face grew grim, a tear dripped onto the ground as she said, “Guards and Twilight’s friends, please leave me and Twilight alone for a while, we have a lot to discuss.”
“But Princess, we have orders to protect you from both you and your sister, we cannot leave your sight at…” A guard started saying before interrupted by the Princess.

“You can guard me from outside of the room, but until I say it’s okay to come back in, do not disturb me,” The Princess replied venomously. Everyone in the room began to leave until it was only Twilight and Celestia. “Twilight tell me, what do you know about Sunset Shimmer besides your experiences with her in the other world?” Celestia questioned.

“Well from what you told me before I first entered the portal and from what Shining Armor told me, she used to be your student and for some reason turned evil because she wasn’t happy at the pace she was gaining new skills and was not told about certain things,” Twilight replied carefully, making sure not to upset Celestia.

“While all of that is true, there are some things that I have told nopony besides my sister about my ex-student. Sunset Shimmer was an amazing student, she was an amazing a learner and an extraordinary user of magic just like you. However, at the time I was teaching her, I didn’t realize that she needed more of a social life; she spent all of her time learning and no time making friends. Eventually she wanted to learn about restricted magic, and when I told her that she wasn’t prepared to study it she became erratic. She would never talk to me, and when we did talk, she would yell at me and my sister about how we mistreated her. Eventually we found out that she broke into a restricted part of the library and began learning dark magic. I eventually had no choice but to banish her; it was one of the saddest moments in my life. So you see why I can’t let her back, I don’t know if I can handle banishing her again if she makes the same mistakes.” Celestia sobbed.

Twilight embraced her mentor until her sobbing subsided; she waited for her mentor to compose herself. “I understand that she has hurt you in the past, but she has changed Princess. She helped save the parallel world; she has become friends with the alternate versions of my friends here, and she has been a lot nicer to the people in that world. I think under the right guidance she should be able to come back to Equestria.” Twilight exclaimed, trying to argue for Sunset’s case.

“If this is true what you’re telling me Twilight I have no problem allowing Sunset to come back to Equestria. However, I do not believe that I am the one to guide her, I would get too emotional while being with her that long. If she were to come back she would have to have someone else guide her.” Celestia replied.

“What if I was the one to guide her, I could teach her the true meaning of friendship just like you taught me?” Twilight questioned, hoping that the Princess would agree to her plan.
“If you are really serious about taking up this mentorship I will allow Sunset to return, however I want to observe her for a few days before I let you take her. I want to make sure what you are saying about her is legitimate. I hope she is really reformed, I would love to be able to be friends with her once again.” Celestia replied, giving a reassuring smile to her student as they both began to proceed out of the throne room. “I will have the portal transported up to the castle; you and your friends are allowed to stay in the castle while I complete my survey on Sunset Shimmer.”

The seven went to Donut Joes donut shop to eat and wait for the mirror to be moved to the castle. After three hours of waiting, the group received a letter stating that the mirror had arrived, so the group rushed back to the castle. The mirror was placed into the same location when Twilight first went through it. Twilight then wrote into Sunset’s journal saying she could come through the portal; the machine around the portal was then activated. The group began to wait for Sunset to come through the portal; it had been about thirty minutes until Pinkie Pie spoke. “Come on! How long is it going to take for her to get here, I’m soooooooo bored.”

The group ignored Pinkie’s comment and continued to wait. Suddenly Sunset Shimmer stumbled through the portal and fell to the ground, not used to walking on four legs. After being helped up by Twilight, Sunset began to stare at each member of the group. I have not seen a pony from Equestia in many years; I have missed this world, Sunset thought.

“Twilight… thank you so much for talking to Celestia about letting me back,” Sunset exclaimed as she hugged Twilight. The two separated as Sunset noticed Celestia stepped forward.

“No problem Sunset, as I mentioned to you before it was mainly the Princess’s decision to let you back. I only recounted the experiences you have had and how you have changed since you were banished.” The two turned to Celestia to see what she had to say in the matter.

“Sunset Shimmer, from now on you are welcomed back into Equestria. However, if I notice that you have not changed in your behavior since I last saw you or you break any Equestrian law while I am observing you, you will go back through the mirror and never return. I will be watching your behavior for the next week, do you understand? I hope for your sake that what my student has been telling me is the truth.” Celestia said, glaring at her ex-student and remembering all the painful memories.

Sunset walked up to her past teacher and began to sob as she hugged her. “I am so sorry! I feel horrible for the awful things I have said to you and your sister,” she stuttered, hoping that the Princess would forgive her for her past actions.

Celestia stood there; she did not return the embrace that her past student was giving her. “Please get off of me; I haven’t forgiven you for what you have done to my sister and I. If it were not for Twilight persuading me to give you a chance, you wouldn’t even be here. I don’t think we will ever be friends after what you have done, but I am willing to give you a chance to prove yourself to me.” She responded harshly, choosing not to return eye contact with Sunset.
Sunset released her embrace from her past mentor and continued to sob. Twilight ran up to comfort her friend. Twilight understood why Celestia was being harsh towards Sunset, but she still felt sorry for her friend.

“All of you will stay in the castle for the next week while I make my observations; all of you are allowed to travel around Canterlot only. You will also be able to view the Summer Sun Celebration from the special guest’s area at the end of this week. Please try not to get into too much trouble all of you, once the week end I will make my decision on whether Sunset Shimmer can stay in Equestria.” Celestia replied, looking at Pinkie Pie when saying the last statement.

The girls walked to the guest rooms and began to split off into groups, as there were only four guest rooms in the castle. Fluttershy went with Rainbow Dash, and Rarity went with Applejack. “Well I guess I will go with Sunset then, because I have known her the longest.” Twilight commented. The three went into their respected rooms and prepared to sleep. Twilight and Sunset got into their bed and laid there for the longest while until Sunset broke the silence.

“Twilight, thank you for all that you have done for me today, I will never forget what happened here today. If there is anything you ever need, I will try my best to help you.” Sunset said, embracing her friend and remembering all of the nice gestures she did for her.

Twilight blushed as she returned the hug and replied “No problem, you would have done the same for me if the scenario was switched.” Two began to drift off to sleep, both thinking that they had feelings for each other.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading the first chapter of hopefully a ten chapter series. I would like to thank Palyk, a fellow fanfic reader for proofreading this chapter. Please leave any suggestions or changes in the comments and if you want leave a rating for the story. Lastly, I would like to ask you all a question, I have enjoyed writing this teen rated story. However, I do write clopfics and was wondering if I should write a separate story about Twilight and Sunset's romance? Please tell me your thoughts about it in the comments.