• Published 16th Feb 2015
  • 7,543 Views, 514 Comments

The Red Cyclone - Onomonopia

  • ...
11
 514
 7,543

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

"I still cannot believe that you walked right into Canterlot and threatened the princesses to their faces! So what happened after you defeated the night guard?" Insectum asked as she looked up at Zangief with admiration and awe as the wrestler flexed for her and all of the changeling children that surrounded him. Word had quickly spread through the hive about what Zangief had done and all of the changelings wanted to hear about what went down in Canterlot. Chrysalis threatened to blast anypony who tried to talk to her what happened, so all went to Zangief to hear the story.

"I burst into the throne room and spotted the leaders of the ponies! They all glared at me, yet without fear I challenged them to battle so that I could claim their love!" he proudly said with a large grin, enthralling all of the children that sat around him. "I made the demand that I would fight their strongest warrior and when I defeated them I would have their love so that you would all never go hungry again!"

The changelings all began to cheer as his story came to an end, Zangief smiling at all the eyes of admiration that looked up at him. But with his vision he spotted a set of eyes that were not sharing in the merriment, but instead held clouds of doubt and worry. Zangief walked through the crowd of children and stood besides the one who wore doubt.

"What is the matter, child? Do you doubt the words of the great Zangief?" Zangief asked the changeling as he knelt down next to them, noticing how the little one averted their eyes so as not to look into his.

"It's not that I doubt your story, it's just...the ponies beat back Chrysalis and her entire army when they attacked Canterlot, right?" he asked the other changeling children, who nodded as they remembered the story. "So they're just as strong or stronger than all of the changelings. How do you hope to beat their strongest warrior if they could defeat and entire army?"

Zangief could feel not just all of the children's eyes upon him, but also those of the adults that sat in the back of the room to watch their larva as Zangief spoke to them. The child's words had a profound effect on all of the other changelings, as Zangief could now see doubt and fear beginning to form in their eyes as well. If there was one thing he hated more than bears that couldn't wrestle, it was when something made children upset or afraid. He would banish their fears.

"Do you believe in me?" he asked them, causing confusion to spread on their faces as Zangief took on a rare serious face. "Do you believe that I can defeat their greatest warrior?" The children all looked at each other for the longest of times, none of them sure that they did or not. The Insectum spoke out.

"Of course I believe in you! You stopped those bandits, you defeated an entire pack of wilderbeasts and you defeat Tenna, the greatest threat of the hive!" she reminded all of the other changelings with a smile. "There isn't anything Zangief can't do!" Zangief smiled at her words they sparked hope in the others, all of whom were now agreeing with her about how Zangief couldn't lose.

"Then I shall win," he said to them with such certainty in his voice that none of the changelings even teased the thought of him losing. "For when a wrestlers fans believe in him, there is nothing they cannot do! Just you wait, by the end of the fight you will see just how mighty the Red Cyclone is!"

The changeling children all began to cheer for him again, but the celebration was cut short when the queen entered into the room that they were sitting in, her mere presence silencing all talking and laughter. They all bowed to her as she walked by, stopping to rustler her daughters mane before looking up at Zangief.

"We need to talk." Zangief nodded before waving goodbye to the children, all of them climbing over each other to watch him go as he and Insectum left with Chrysalis. "The fight is set for Sunday and I still can't believe I managed to let those fools talk me into allowing you to do this."

"Why not? It will be an easy victory for us!" Zangief said with a laugh but it died immediately when Chrysalis turned to face him with a look that he had never seen on her face before. Chrysalis looked around to make sure that they were the only ones on the street within ear shot before she continued speaking.

"Zangief...for reasons I do not completely understand nearly all of the changelings and their children look up to you, like their hero," Chrysalis began with a snarl. "For some reason they all believe in you."

"Maybe it is because they see how great I am! That is why they believe in me!"

Chrysalis gave him another look as he said this before looking down at Insectum and ordering her back to the castle. She then told Zangief to come with her and she began to walk off, Zangief giving Insectum a look of concern before he followed after her. The two of them walked in silence for a while, eventually taking a road that had fallen into complete disrepair. Zangief wished to ask why the road was in such a condition, but for the first time he saw a look on Chrysalis's face that he couldn't read.

The two eventually reached a small building that was covered in vines, vines that Chrysalis moved to the side so that the pair could enter. Even in the dim light Zangief could see that there was very little in the room, with a simple table in the center of the room with a rusty urn on it.

"What...is in there?" Zangief asked, having to break the silence. When Chrysalis didn't answer he turned to look at her, shocked to see how dead her eyes looked as she gazed upon the urn. She slowly brushed her mane out of her eye as she looked up at the massive wrestler.

"My husband. The last changeling that my people believed in," she said in a deathly whisper that Zangief barely heard. "He was the greatest of us, so strong, kind and a born leader. When the time came for me to decide who my husband would be, there was no competition. All of the changelings looked up to him and for a time the hive was stronger than it had been in the past five hundred years."

"What...happened to him?" Zangief asked quietly, knowing how this story ended but not knowing why it ended that way.

"He failed," Chrysalis said quietly. "The wasteland used to be a beautiful place, filled with life and love. Love that we could feed off of to our hearts content. Then a rogue wizard came and sought to take it all for himself, to steal the beauty of our home. My husband went to battle with him, to stop him from doing so. Every changeling believed that he would with no doubt, because he was the greatest of us. And he failed. And the wasteland has been the way you see it ever since."

"The wizard...killed you husband?" Zangief asked, Chyrsalis nodding in response. "What happened to the wizard?"

"He was wounded after the fight with my husband, so he was in no condition to fight me," Chrysalis said with bitter rage in her voice. "Last I saw of him, the wilderbeasts I threw him to were eating him alive. But it didn't matter. My land was dead as well as my husband was. All I had left was my people and my barely two week old daughter that they didn't know about. And I have been ruling them ever since. They may love me, but they don't believe in me. They never believed in anyone again since that day."

"I...am so sorry," Zangief whispered to her, but then Chrysalis turned to look at him with a hard stare.

"And then you showed up and helped us, defeated all the threats that we had been facing for years in the span of a few days," she reminded him. "And for some reason they started to believe again. I don't know if it's because you're an alien or that you seem like you're invincible, but they're believing in you."

"And you...do not think that they should?" Zangief asked, Chrysalis's cold eyes answering for her.

"My people put all of their faith in someone once before and they were let down," Chrysalis continued. "And now their putting their faith in you, believing that you can defeat the ponies. But you can't. They have the power of friendship on their side, the ultimate magic. Against that kind of power my entire army was defeated with ease. What can a man who thinks himself a cyclone do that an army couldn't? And when you fail in the battle with the ponies, it will be the last time the changelings believe in anyone." Chrysalis turned and left the room as she said this, her emotions getting the better of her. Zangief watched her go with sorrow in his eyes before looking down at the urn that rested on the table before him.

"She will never say it to me, but she believed in you as well," Zangief began as he rested his hand next to the urn. "That is why she cannot allow herself to believe again, because she doesn't want to be reminded of losing you. She...they put their faith in you and it was shattered." Then Zangief tightened his grip and fire flashed in his eyes. "And now I carry the faith that they had in you. And you have my word that I shall fight like you did. I will not let their faith in me be misplaced." Zangief then bowed his head in respect before turning and leaving the room, leaving behind a promise that helped to fill the empty room.

←↙↓↘→↗+H

The air in the stadium was filled with both the energy of the spectators waiting for the fight to begin as well as their voices, as they spoke with each other about the fight and why the changelings were there. The stadium as spilt into two sides, one on which the changelings sat and the other one which the ponies sat, both keeping their eyes on each other. That was not required by the princesses, but it was the way the crowd had decided to sit.

News about the fight had spread like wildfire through both races about the fight and none of them wished to miss what was sure to be the biggest fight in recent years. Celestia had informed the populace of what the conditions were and why no matter who won or lost the results would benefit both nations. Neither side cared about that as the ponies wanted to see the changelings pay, still upset about their invasion. The changelings were there to see the ponies finally lose...hopeful that they would lose this time.

"Quite the turnout, wouldn't you say Chrysalis?" Celestia asked the changeling queen next to her, only getting a sneer in response. "I did not think that so many changelings would come to support your fighter, even though he is unlike anything they had ever seen."

"Faust, you do not shut up," Chrysalis grumbled from the seat that Celestia had brought for her into the rulers booth, Chrysalis surprised that they were willing to let her of all creatures in there. Luna smirked at the response while Celestia shrugged and turned her attention towards Insectum, who was nervously sitting in the chair next to her mother.

"So then Princess Insectum, how are your knife throwing lessons going?" Luna had to stifle a laugh at the look Chrysalis gave Celestia, Celestia not bothering to hid hers as Insectum looked between the two with confusion. "You must know that I jest Chrysalis, I am simply trying to break the ice."

"When is the darn fight starting? There are a lot of things that I need to get done."

"Chrysalis, I have received reports of what has happened in the changeling empire during the last ten years or so and I know that you and your people need help," Celestia began, causing Chrysalis to roll her eyes as she rested her head on her hoof. "Peace between the two nations would be beneficial to both of our people and you know that. All I am asking is that you throw your stubborn pride aside and allow us to help you."

"Please. when Zangief has crushed your pretty Pegasus and shown the power of the changeling people I will not need peace treaties or talks to get what I want," she contested, but there was no conviction in her voice.

"I am just happy to get to try this new stadium out," Luna remarked, Chrysalis snarling again in response.

←↙↓↘→↗+H

"Alright Rainbow Dash, let's just go over it one more time to make sure that you understand completely," Twilight said to her friend, who was throwing jabs with her forehooves while warming up for the fight that was to come. "What can you do and what can't you do to Zangief during the fight?"

"Ugh, I get it already Twilight! No rainbooms, no tornados and no lightning. And as long as I don't go too fast I can hit him as hard as I like," Dash replied before busting out a spin kick with a yell. Twilight sighed and figured that she was ready, but as Dash trained she turned to look to where Zangief rested in the locker room. He was standing up completely straight with both arms crossed and eyes closed, having been standing like that for nearly an hour, never moving.

'I wonder if he's been listening the entire time or if he is focusing on the fight?' she asked herself before the Celestia's voice echoed throughout the locker room, asking for the two fighters to enter the arena. Zangief's eyes opened as she said this and he uncrossed his arms so that he could flex them, a smile on his face as he did so. Both him and Dash gave each other a look before they walked down the hallway and into the stadium, where they were both deafened by the cheers.

"Wow...sure are a lot of ponies here," Dash said with a hint of nerves that Zangief picked up on.

"Yes and they are all here to cheer you on! So enjoy the spotlight and wave to the crowd," Zangief advised her as he began to wave, getting boos from the ponies but cheers from the changelings. The two walked into a large, circular arena that was massive, both of them taking up spaces for them to stand that were perfectly distanced from each other.

"Alright everypony, here are the rules for this fight. The first person or pony to score knock out is the winner, I want to be clear on that. No killing each other. Also try not to fight dirty," Luna instructed in her regal voice so that the crowd could hear. "Now then fighters, do you have any words to say to each other before we begin?"

"I am not going to lose to a pretty Pegasus," Zangief said with a smirk as he looked down upon the pegasus in front of him. "I hope you are ready to be broken, because that is the only way this battle will end."

"Please, I've done martial arts nearly all of my life. I'm not going to lose to some fake wrestler," Dash retorted.

"It is not fake, some events are simply more scripted than others!" The two took up their fighting positions after saying this, glaring into each others eyes as they prepared for the fight. The crowd fell into a hush as Luna rose to her hooves, smiling to herself before firing a bolt of magic into the air while yelling,

"FIGHT!"