• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 4,611 Views, 253 Comments

SIEG EQUESTRIA! - Macross84



Sgt Michael Black has found himself in a land far removed from the hellish fighting of the "One Year War". Yet, even here in the land of Equestria, dark clouds of battle loom over the horizon.

  • ...
13
 253
 4,611

Past Self, Future Self

The soft warm tones of a violin quartet floated through the air of the luxurious ballroom. Pleasant, soothing music adding a refined backdrop for the myriad of conversations that were being exchanged by the many small pockets of people attending this soiree. Many men, and women wearing their finest at this "small" get together of some of the highest ranked officials in the Earth Federation. It was a party to celebrate the coming Christmas holiday season that Lilith's father was throwing at his estate just a little ways north of New York city in the North American Sector. It was approximately two weeks before the start of the One Year War.

"Really Assemblyman Hardeen, this party is simply divine. You really out did yourself this year." An Elderly woman chuckled as her pearls bounced around her flabby neck.

"Thank you Assemblywoman Burnside. I'm pleased that you, and my other guests are enjoying yourself." Robert stated with an eager smile. He took a sip from his champagne glass to moisten his mouth from all the talking.

"Where is your lovely daughter? I was so hoping to meet her, and introduce her to my son. I know they'll get along just wonderfully." Burnside chortled as she took another sip from her glass.

Robert opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a soft angelic voice. "I'm here Father, Assemblywoman Burnside." Lilith spoke quietly so not to be overly disruptive.

The two turned to regard the third person in their growing group. Lilith stood there in a pearlescent evening down that was fairly form fitting. The dress came all the way up to her neck in a broad choker like collar with a small charm that hung from it. Her shoulders, and back was opened, and showed a shapely sculpted back that has yet to see the harsh regimen of military basic training and fighting in the most brutal war in Human history. Yet, it would be partially concealed behind a golden cascade of slightly curled hair that spilled down around her shoulders, and back. Falling to just above the small of her back and the hem of her gown. Like at the gala, she only had a soft touch of make up. Just enough to highlight her natural features. She would approach the two, and give a respectful curtsy

"Good Evening, and Merry Christmas." She said warmly with the same practiced smile her father had. Since her father entered politics when she was very young, Lilith was brought up to never make her father look bad in front of others, and to always be aware of how her actions would reflect upon him. As the daughter of an up, and coming Assemblyman, she had to be just as acutely aware of his image as he himself.

"A Merry Christmas to you as well, Miss Hardeen." Assemblywoman Burnside chuckled. "Now, where is that lazy lout that is my son have disappeared off too. I really think you both should simply meet."

"I would like that Assemblywoman Burnside." Lilith smiled, but inside she was cringing at the prospect of having someone thrust into her arms like her opinion didn't matter. She would then turn to her father. "Father, I was hoping to speak to you about something important." Lilith stated, her smile never leaving her lips.

"Okay, what is it?" He asked.

"I believe this discussion best be taken somewhere else." Lilith said, while trying to keep the Assemblywoman at ease.

"Nonsense. Whatever you have to say, it can be said right here." Robert stated with a chuckle.

"Father, I believe this is important, and should be discussed in private. I wouldn't want to embarrass you or anything." Lilith gently pressed.

"Lilith, out with it." Robert demanded, his stress level was already high tonight for trying to throw the perfect party, and he suspected that whatever Lilith deemed important was actually trivial. He would come to regret that decision.

Lilith let out a sigh, seemingly expecting this. "Is it true that you proposed a bill that would increase the income tax rate for those living in the colonies?" She asked.

Robert was quiet for a moment as he listened to his daughter. When she was finished, he let out a laugh. "Is that all? Yes, I did. We need to pay for those Social Programs some how." He explained so easily. It was a practiced response that he would tell to any reporter, or constituent that asked.

"But Father, the income tax rate for the colonist is already thirty-eight percent. This Tax hike would push that over forty percent. Don't you think that is a bit excessive, counter productive even? How are we to expect them to pay for their daily needs?" Lilith asked.

"Needs? Lilith, we're not trying to get blood from stone here. We're just asking them to pay a little bit more. Just their fair share is all. If there is any trouble, I'm sure the Colonist wouldn't mind cutting out some luxuries." Robert stated dismissively. He felt that this conversation was unimportant, surely his daughter understood that.

"Pay a little bit more", "Their Fair Share", these were the political buzzwords that swarmed through the Federation Assembly, and past governments that acted as a universal excuse to demand more money. Lilith could feel her anger starting to fester deep in her gut at the blase attitude towards the Citizens she had been seeing more, and more recently, particularly from her father.

"My Dear Miss Hardeen. Think of all the starving, and homeless children that these programs will help? I'm sure you wouldn't want them to go hungry, or be left out in the cold, would you?" Assemblywoman Burnside asked, taking on a self-righteous tone.

Yet another political ploy, needling for an emotional response using guilt, particularly with the use of children. Lilith had to curtail her gag reflex at that, or her instinct to quickly retract what she said.

"Where would these Children be that will be helped with these programs?" She asked.

"Why here on Earth of course, where else?" Burnside replied like it was the most blatant answer in the world. A smug look upon her face as she looked down her nose at Lilith.

"What about the homeless children in the colonies? Don't they deserve the same compassion as ones here on Earth?" She questioned.

"Goodness no." Burnside responded quickly. "The Colonies are Climate controlled. What child is worried about being outside there? The weather on Earth is so unpredictable, I just weep for the little darlings." Burnside declared as she placed an overly jeweled hand upon her chest as if she was fighting back tears.

It was apparent that Assemblywoman Burnside never stepped foot on a colony. Many, particularly those used for agriculture cultivation like Texas Colony, had seasons, and varying weather patterns to maintain a healthy Eco system for plant, and animal growth. So a child left out on a colony was just as prone to exposure as a child on Earth.

"And the six percent pay increase for Assembly representatives along with their staff also helps the children? Considering it is the third time this year that The Assembly voted on a pay increase." Lilith asked with a slightly darker tone.

"Excuse me?" Burnside asked indignantly.

"Why can't we find the money from some place else? Like cutting funding to obviously superfluous programs. Really? We need two million credits a year to fund a study on the mating habits of the tsetsey flies in central Africa? Or a hundred thousand credits for the waste paper baskets in the offices. How can we call it "Paying their fair share" when on Earth the highest tax bracket is only twenty two percent, and yet the colonist are expected to pay, on average, thirty eight, and if the bill passes, forty three percent of their income? Over twice that on Earth?" Lilith continued, not seeing the darkening features of her father.

"Young Lady. I don't know who has been filling your head with these ridiculous notions, but you can't expect us to Rule an entire people without just compensation?" He growled.

"Rule"? Father, you told me since I was young that the Assembly does not "Rule" the People, it serves the people." Lilith protested.

Assemblywoman Burnside started to Teeter before falling back into Robert's arms. He quickly started to fan her as the woman started mumbling incoherently.

"The fuck are you trying to do!? Destroy my career? Do you know how much damage control I'll have to do now because of your immature outburst!" He hissed at his Daughter.

"B-But Dad...You cant be serious." Lilith spoke, reaching a hand for her father, only for him to slap it away.

"Get out, I don't want to see you again! No daughter of mine would ever speak of such blasphemy against her Father, and leaders!" Robert spat at Lilith, barely keeping his voice low so not to let the scene spread any further than it already has.

Lilith could only stare at her father in disbelief. Was he really throwing her out!? That knot of betrayal, and shock was causing LIlith's insides to twist, and do flips. It was like the air was being ripped from her lungs. She felt that she would lose it if not for another voice that chose this time to speak.

"Fascinating. It would appear that Michael of Black's accusations of this Federation's corruption to have some grain of truth. Though I find the similarity that this "Christmas" has with our Hearth Warming Eve to be interesting. I wonder what other similarities exist between our worlds." a familiar regal voice spoke.

Lilith spun around from the scene that was now frozen as if someone has pressed "pause" on a video player, and to the intruder into her memories. There stood Princess Luna, her long mane, and tail ever billowing upon the ethereal winds. Its ever present night sky twinkling peacefully as she stood there regarding the scene before her.

"P-Princess Luna!?" Lilith squeaked in surprise. "What are you doing in here!?" She asked.

"Yes, Tis our Name. Please don't over use it, and wear it out." She giggled, horribly butchering a saying that little Fillies, and Colts would say to each other in jest. "I am princess of the night. It is one of our sacred duties to watch over the dreams of our beloved little ponies, and guide them through their nightmares. As this is one such dream." She explained.

"I'm not a pony." Lilith retorted as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"I know, but your nightmare was such that it demanded my attention. I must say though that this is a scene I did not expect. I can see that this dream stems from a dark memory. Can you please explain it?" Luna asked as she sat upon her Haunches.

Lilith debated a moment on whether to actually tell Luna or not. However, since she was here, Lilith figured she would have other ways to find the information she wanted. So why fight it? "What is there to explain? What you saw pretty much what happened. I questioned my father in front of a very influential member of the Assembly. He's been trying to get in Regina Burnside's good gracious for months to get her vote to pass that bill, and in a ten minute conversation I destroyed that chance. After he ordered me away, I left so he could cool down. I visited friends, and wished them Happy Holidays. He had his blow outs before. It came with stress of the job, really. So I didn't think much of it. When I got back home however..." Lilith trailed off as she hugged herself tightly. This was a very painful memory from what Luna could see.

"When I got back, I found my bags were packed and waiting on the front step. I pounded on the door for hours, and when the butler finally answered. He said that I was not allowed on the grounds anymore. That was my only warning, and if I was caught trespassing in the future. I would have the police called, and be thrown in jail." She finished forcefully, starting to sound as if she couldn't even breathe.

Luna sat there, and listened with rapt attention, though the disappointment on her face was easily readable. A parent's Ego, and "Career" had gotten in the way of their sacred duty to their child. She had seen it happen before with Nobles, and it was always disheartening to see. Luna let out a sigh as she approached the frozen figure of Assemblyman Robert Hardeen. His face was frozen in that visage of dark fury, glaring icy daggers where Lilith would have been standing, or perhaps to her retreating form.

"So this one is your father, correct?" Luna asked Lilith.

The guntanker stood next to the princess of the night, and looked upon the person that helped bring her into the world, and was now casting her out. "Yes, he is." She replied simply. "I know what this looks like, and it is true. Though I can't hate my father. He's my father, and I know he is a good man. He just lost his way." Hardeen explained, wondering whom she was trying to convince. Princess Luna, or herself. "I remember when I was young, and he was first getting into politics. He would say how he would change the Assembly, and make it respectable again. That he would listen to the people, and help them." She continued as she looked upon what her father became. However she looked upon him not with hate, or malice, but with pity, and disappointment.

"I can understand the slow steep of Corruption, and power can be a very corrupting influence. Even the most altruistic person, or pony, can easily fall if they're not careful. My sister, and I must always be on constant vigil against the Corruption, even others that are in positions of power have to be closely watched." Luna stated in a warm caring fashion.

Lilith nodded, and gave Luna an appreciative smile. Lilith could tell that Luna wasn't spouting this, but spoke from actual experience. "I know that my father is part of the problem that plagues my world, and that to everyone, even my own friends, and fellow soldiers, he is nothing more than a corrupt bureaucrat. But to me, he's still my dad....and I still love him." She stated while suppressing a sob. It hurt so much for her to admit she still loved him, despite what he eventually went on to do to her.

Luna was quiet a moment. She understood how painful this was to Lilith. While it was one thing to know that your family was the cause of some direst, it still didn't make it any less painful to hear when someone wished ill upon your family. Luna was about to try, and comfort Lilith, but something caught her attention. Causing her ears to flick back, and the fold back against her skull.

This was not lost on Lilith as she tilted her head, "Something wrong?" She asked, a hint of concern hanging on her words.

"It would appear that a commotion is happening at the castle, and I must see what it is. My apologies for cutting our time short, Lilith of Hardeen. Though before I go, I'll leave you with this. You are not your Father, and his sins are not yours to bear. You are your own Pon, er Person. Live your life for yourself and for what is in your own heart." She stated with a warm tone, and a smile. "Also, Sargent Black is remorseful of his words against you. He truly did not know that your father was who he was, and I ask that you forgive him, continue to work to fostering peaceful dialogue between your factions." Luna stated as she started to fade. "I bid you good night, Staff Sargent Hardeen." Luna stated before she completely evaporated.

"Easier said than done." Lilith grumbled as she waved to retreating form of Luna.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilith awoke in her bed with a sigh. It was still very early in the morning, and the distinct snoring of Aleki in the next room could be heard through the walls. Lilith entertained the idea of asking Twilight to sound proof the walls. Lilith rolled her head so she could look out the window by her bed. The stars were still shining bright, and she could just barely make out the Guntank, and Zaku parked near the outskirts of the town in the soft moonlight. With a sigh, Lilith hoisted herself out of bed, and stood up. She figured she was not going to get any more sleep at the moment, and a walk could clear her head.

Lilith closed the door to the house that she, and Aleki were allowed to use while they stayed in Ponyville. It was actually the same one they were put in as a holding cell right after they attacked Michael. Once they were allowed to come, and go as they wished, the house was found to be much nicer than initially thought. Michael was still staying with Rarity in her Guest bedroom. It was considered prudent since Michael, Lilith, and Aleki were enemies. So having them all under one roof was asking for trouble.

The cool night air greeted Lilith as she started to walk away from the house. It wasn't uncomfortable, but refreshing, almost making her feel like she was shedding off the harmful memories like a snake shed its skin. She could already feel the emotions from her nightmare dissipate like the morning mist before the sun. Perhaps this walk was what the doctor ordered. Lilith increased her pace, not really having a destination in mind. She simply let her feet carry her along. Though before long, it would appear she was heading for the Guntank. It was always like a second home to her, and Aleki. So it was natural she would gravitate there, and feel comfortable in the large Mobile Suit's presence.

As she arrived, she could see the Thestrals of Luna's Night Guard performing their duty. Keeping watch over the two Mobile suits in shifts. There was as small group of three laying underneath a tree eating their lunch. One with a small blood packet, and sipping it slowly. Savoring the flavor. The sight was a bit unnerving for Lilith as it brought to mind all the vampire movies she watched when she was younger. However, she hid it well. As She approached, she heard someone, pony speak.

"Halt, who goes there!?" A demanding voice came from the gloom.

Lilith rolled her eyes as she could already see a multitude of jade colored glowing eyes peer in her direction. She should have expected this, but was a bit too lost in her revere to think about it. She quickly recognized the voice. It belonged to private Comet Tail. A young thestral that was recently promoted to the Lunar Guards. This was actually his first assignment, and he was eager to prove himself. He was smaller than the average Lunar Guard with a blazing comet, and tail as his cutie mark. He was a scrappy thestral, Lilith had to give him that.

"Take it is easy Rock butt. It's me." Lilith called back as she simply walked by the Thestral much to his aggravation. Which was funny to watch to be honest.

"Good evening, Staff Sargent. What brings you Here?" Lt. Calm Night asks as he trots up. A half eaten carrot sandwich in the crook of his left forehoof.

"No reason in particular. Just checking on a friend." She replied softly before looking up at the towering Guntank. It stood Stalwart, and proud. Like great titan from ancient myth. All the while, the Zaku was knelt down a dozen yards away with its own guards. Lilith gave it a cursory look, and grimaced. It really was an ugly mobile suit.

"Okay. If you need anything. Please don't hesitate to ask." Calm Night stated before he moved back to finish his lunch.

Lilith would stand there, and look up at her Guntank for a few more minutes before the itch to keep walking became too great to ignore, and she moved off from the two mobile suits to see what else the night had to offer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilith made her way to some of the outer areas of Ponyvillle, and towards the school. She entered the school yard and found the swing set. With a smile she eased herself down, and heard the chains groan with the weight. She rolled her feet to get a soft back, and forth motion. Lilith sat there, and let time tick by lazily as she looked up at the stars. Thoughts swirled in head about her father, and where he could possibly be now. Most likely in a posh bunker waiting out the war with the other Federation Assembly, drinking themselves into a stuper as they pretended that they were still important. The bunch of cowards. And they demand their soldier's loyalty? Bah! Lilith was loyal to her friends, and the ideals of the Federation, of a United Earth and Humanity. Yet, even now, she still hoped that her father was alright, and safe, despite how he probably didn't have the same feelings for her.

A ways away, a small bush rustled quietly as Lilith's observer shifted uncomfortably in the poking, and prodding confines of the bush. Ever since the Gala, there was a tension between Michael,and Lilith that was more than before, and it worried Sweetie Belle. Sure there was that normal level of discomfort between Michael, and the other two Humans, but this was different. She was was young, and inexperienced in such matters, and didn't realize that it was nothing more than animosity towards Michael that Lilith was conveying. The young filly feared that it was perhaps developing feelings, and that Lilith would become a rival for Michael's attention, and affection. Sweetie Belle had to nip that in the bud right now.

She slipped out of the bush to confront Lilith, and let her know exactly where she stood. Though as Sweetie approached the woman, she could see a dour look upon her normally strong features. Sweetie put her own emotions, and feelings on hold as she felt concerned for Lilith. Quietly approaching, she climbed onto the neighboring swing.

"What'cha doing out here?" She asked, as she looked up at woman.

Lilith nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard Sweetie speak. Though as she looked over, and saw the fun sized unicorn sitting there, Lilith looked at her sternly. "What are you doing out here?" She demanded. She knew full well that fillies, and colts were suppose to be asleep right now.

"I followed you." Sweetie Belle stated simply.

"you know that is not what I mean. Why are you not in your bed, asleep?" Lilith growled.

"Couldn't sleep, why are ya out here being all gloomy?" Sweetie asked again.

"Its....complicated. You wouldn't understand." Lilith huffed.

"you grown ups all say that!" Sweetie protested as she kicked the ground, and started to swing.

"I know, but it is true. Life gets more complicated as you grow up. Enjoy your time when you're young. You'll wish it was that simple later." Lilith said as she looked down at the ground.

"I bet it is because of that Prince, Blue Butt." Sweetie stated confidently.

"Wha...WHAT!? Where in the sam hell you pull that from!?" Lilith barked.

Sweetie was nonplussed by Lilith's outburst. "My sister. That was all she talked since she came home from the Gala a week ago." Sweetie replied simply. "She said that you "ripped into him", and that she was almost jealous of you. What does 'Ripping into' mean?" Sweetie asked, looking up at Lilith with curious eyes.

"Don't worry about it. It isn't important." Lilith stated as she remembered that arrogant Noble. He was just like all the ones back home. Felt his position was his to do with what he pleased. "He is nothing more than a spoiled noble." Lilith dismissed.

Sweetie shrugged as she rocked back, and forth on the swing for a few more minutes. "Why are you mean to Michael?" She finally asked.

"I'm not mean! Besides, we're enemies. We're not suppose to be friends." She stated. Wondering if Sweetie Belle had ADHD, or something, with all the skipping around.

"Yeah you are. You tried to hurt him when you first met, and then you yell at him a lot even though he doesn't do anything. Why are you enemies?" Sweetie continued.

"He is Zeon, and Aleki, and I are Federation." Lilith huffed, wanting to not talk about that idiot Zeon.

"Him being Zeon, and you Feda'a'shun really that big a deal?" Sweetie Belle asked. Showing that she had the curiosity of all children.

"It's complicated. Just know that Zeons are bad people, very bad people." Lilith replied, not wanting to delve into politics with a young filly.

"Michael's not bad!" Sweetie declared. "He is funny, and kind. He plays with me, and my friends. He never did anything to hurt us! How could you say he's bad!?" She demanded to know.

"He, and the Zeons are responsible for the death of four BILLION people." LIlith retorted.

Sweetie Belle was silent a minute as her mind tried, and failed, to process what Lilith just said.

"Four Billion people? That sounds like a lot." Sweetie stated.

What are kids taught in this world? Lilith mentally groaned as she had to explain how large a billion was. Though as she explained, Sweetie Belle grew paler, and paler. one Billion was so large, she could barely comprehend that much, but four billion dead. It was almost sickening.

"I don't care! Micheal is not like that! He saved me from a giant rock monster, and protected Ponyville twice. He's is gonna be my spec...." Sweetie Belle trailed off as she was getting too choked up. she didn't want to believe that Michael would be part of such a horrible group. She did not believe that Michael was a bad person.

When Lilith saw Sweetie Belle's wide, tearful eyes and quivering lip, she began to feel bad about breaking the image she had of Michael. She was going try, and apologize to Sweetie, but before she could, the sound of rapidly approaching feet, or hooves was heard. Lilith quickly stood up, and put herself between who ever it was, and Sweetie Belle. Though she wished she had her gun, but they were taken when they were arrested a while back.

The sounds got closer, and closer before Michael, and Twilight came trotting out of the gloom. "There you are! We've been looking all over for you." Michael stated as he came to stop several feet away from Lilith.

"Michael!" Sweetie called happily out as she came galloping around Lilith, and towards the Zeon pilot.

"Sweetie!? What are you doing out here?" Michael asked as he reached down, and scooped the bundle of adorableness up into his arms. He started to scratch under her chin which had her giggling, and batting his hand away with her fore hooves.

"I was following Lilith. She was sneaking about suspicishwy." Sweetie Belle explained.

"I was not sneaking! I was having trouble sleeping, and thought a walk would help." Lilith explained with a huff as she crossed her arms.

"Yes, very suspicious." Michael chuckled to Sweetie before tucking her into his arms like a football.

Lilith was staring very intently at Michael for what he said.

"Um, what are you doing?" Twilight asked.

"I'm trying to blow up his head with the power of my mind!" Lilith growled.

"Wha...no. No! " Twilight stated as she lit up her horn with her magic in an attempt to stop Lilith.

"Relax, Twilight. She can't do that. No human can, as far as I know." Michael explained giving Lilith a smug grin that was causing her blood to boil.

Lilith crossed her arms, and scowled. "What you do you want?" She demanded to know.

"I've been asked to travel North to the Crystal Empire. Strange sightings of a large Creature skulking about has the ponies there spooked. Celestia thinks it may be similar to the creature that attacked here in Ponyville shortly before you arrived." Michael explained.

"Okay, but why tell me?" Lilith asked as she stared at him in an accusatory fashion.

"Because if you, and Sargent Vaaulu help. Then Princess Celestia will pay the balance of what you owe the Cakes for smashing up their shop, and consider your Community Service fulfilled." Twilight answered.

"Aleki already agreed to go, But he needs his Gunner." Michael stated as he closed the distance while reaching behind his back.

Lilith tensed up as Michael approached, and his hand disappearing. Making herself ready for anything. What he would pull out was her service pistol. He held it out to her in a peace offering. Lilith looked at him suspiciously as she tentatively reached out for it. Taking it from him, she quickly check the magazine. It was full, and a round was in the chamber. She nodded and quickly slipped the gun into her waist band.

"Is that a yes?" Micheal asked.

"...Alright. When do we leave?" Lilith asked.

"We leave in the morning. But First, I got to get this little sneak back into bed before her sister finds out, and skins us both." Michael stated as he tussled Sweetie's mane, causing the filly to let out a squeal of giggles.

Michael, and Lilith started to make their way back towards town, Twilight following just behind, watching the two curiously. She was still a bit on edge as Lilith shown to be the more aggressive of the three humans. She wondered if this was a trait of human females, or just Lilith. She moved up to Micheal's side, and whispered up to him.

"Are all human females as antagonistic as her?" She asked quietly while throwing curious glances at Lilith.

"Like a bear, Human women can find great reserves of strength in times of need. Like if their children are threatened. We are predators afterall." Michael explained as they continued down the path, with Lilith getting an uncontrollable grin on her face and feeling a desire to flex her arms.

The three continued to walk in silence for a couple of minutes, the soft swaying of Michael's arm having lulled Sweetie to a soft slumber.

Eventually Michael spoke up, and broke the silence; "I'm sorry about what I said about your father. I did not know he was on the council." Michael said to Lilith. Trying to mend fences. "However, my opinion of the Assembly still stands. They're corrupt, and are only interested in their own pockets." Michael stated as he gave Lilith a sideways glance.

Again, a silence fell over the group. Michael, and Twilight were curious as to what Lilith was thinking. Would she accept the apology, or continue to hold that chip on her shoulder.

"Apology accepted." Lilith replied quietly. "And to be honest, we both share that opinion." Lilith said before continuing on with a soft smile, admitting to herself that it felt rather good to clear the air with him.

The tension around group started to dissipate back to what was considered "normal", and Twilight smiled as she saw that if these two enemies could peacefully coexist, then there was hope for their people after all.

Author's Note:

Next Chapter: The battle of the Crystal Empire Pt. 1; Encounter in the Frozen Wastes