• Published 29th Sep 2014
  • 2,866 Views, 125 Comments

Fluttershy’s Pokémon Adventure - ShadowFirePon3



Sometimes, to break out of your shell, you just need to go on a little adventure.

  • ...
4
 125
 2,866

Chapter 5: Welcome to Viridian

“Hello.” Said the girl on the bike as she came to a stop near Fluttershy. She looked to be another trainer. She had orange hair which was kept in a ponytail to one side, and she wore a yellow shirt and blue shorts with suspenders. “What are you up to?”

Fluttershy tried her best to not sound nervous. “I’m just trying to figure out this water purifier.” She said quietly, holding it up and doing her best to smile, though tempted to hide her face.

The girl propped the bike on its kickstand and looked over at Fluttershy. “You must not be use to traveling like this if you haven’t used it before. Are you a new trainer or something?”

Bulbasaur gave Fluttershy an encouraging smile which calmed her down a little. “Yes, I just started on my journey this morning.”

“Well here, let me show you how to use that.” The girl said, walking over to Fluttershy. She sat down near the water’s edge next to Fluttershy and patted Bulbasaur on the head. “I’m guessing this little guy is you’re starting Pokémon, and you must have just caught that Pidgey, am I right?”

“Yes.” Fluttershy said, stroking Pidgey’s underbelly with the back of her index finger. “Pidgey is the first new friend that Bulbasaur and I made.”

“Well, how about I be the second new friend that you’ve made today.” The girl smiled and held out her hand for the pump. “My name is Misty.”

Fluttershy handed Misty the pump and the water bottle. “I’m Fauna. It’s nice to meet you Misty.”

Misty quickly put one of the tubes into the water, and the other tube into the bottle. “Basically, this tube sucks up water and that water gets filtered in the cylinder here. You pull the pump handle up to suck in water, then push it back down to make it come out this other tube here. Make sure that you keep the output tube clean, and that’s basically all there is to it.” Misty said, giving it a few pumps, then handing it back to Fluttershy to finish filling the bottle. “So, where are you coming from?”

“Oh, um…” Fluttershy thought for a second as she capped the bottle and put it, and the purifier, back into her pack. “I’m from Pallet.”

“Then you must be heading to Viridian City, right?” Misty said, pulling out a collapsible fishing rod from her own backpack.

Fluttershy nodded. “That’s right. Although, I’m not sure which way to go from here.”

“That’s an easy one.” Misty smiled. “Just follow this path in that direction.” She pointed to the right. “That’ll take you right to Viridian. It’s about an hour away on foot.”

“Thank you Misty.”

“No problem. So,” Misty said as she pulled out an odd fishing lure that looked like a little toy of herself. “Are you taking the Pokémon league challenge?”

Bulbasaur excitedly jumped up into Fluttershy’s lap and nodded at Misty. “Bulba! Bulba!”

Fluttershy placed her hand on Bulbasaur’s head and smiled. “That’s the plan I guess.”

“Well, your Bulbasaur seems pretty excited about it at least.” Misty laughed. “Believe it or not, I happen to be a gym leader myself.”

Fluttershy looked astonished for a moment. “Really?”

“Well, maybe not exactly.” Misty admitted. “My older sisters and I run the water Pokémon gym in Cerulean city. They’re the real gym leaders, for now. But I’m unquestionably the better water Pokémon trainer amongst the four of us. And right now, I’m on a journey to become an even better water Pokémon trainer. They can keep their swimming shows, but someday, I’ll be the true gym leader in Cerulean city.”

“Wow. That’s a great goal Misty.” Fluttershy said, admiring the determination in Misty’s voice.

“How about you?” Misty asked. “What’s your goal as a Pokémon trainer?”

Fluttershy thought for a second. “Well, I’m taking the Pokémon league challenge, so I guess getting eight badges would be the natural goal.”

“Not at all.” Misty interrupted. “The Pokémon league challenge is the big tournament that is held at the Indigo Plateau. Getting the badges is just to qualify. If you want to set yourself a lofty goal, why not aim for the top?”

“I guess I could try my best.” Fluttershy said, twiddling her thumbs. “But I don’t think I would stand that much of a chance.”

Misty placed her hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder to reassure her. “Maybe, maybe not. Either way, I bet you’d have a lot of fun trying. Goals aren’t always about reaching a destination, but rather the journey that trying for it takes you on. My goal is to be the world’s number one water Pokémon master. In all likeliness, that might never happen. But if I keep aiming for that goal, I’m sure to see a lot of different water Pokémon, learn new things and grow as a trainer. I might never get to actually be the best, but I will always try my best to be, and that’s good enough.”

“That makes sense.” Fluttershy perked up, her eyes sparkling with encouragement. “So, I guess that my goal would be to do my best in the Pokémon league. I can try to win, and even if I don’t, I’ll still give it my all.”

“Exactly,” Misty said, with a smile. “And don’t forget that your Pokémon will be doing their best too. You’re never alone on a Pokémon journey.” Misty smiled to herself as she thought of her Pokémon, then cast her line out into the water.

“Well,” Fluttershy said, standing up with Bulbasaur in her arms. “I’d better be on my way then. I want to get to Viridian as soon as possible, while I’m still feeling really motivated. Thank you so much Misty.”

“You’re very welcome Fauna.” Misty said, waving goodbye with a smile. “Oh, and when you challenge the Cerulean gym, tell them Misty sent you.” She laughed.

“I will.” Fluttershy waved back, walking down the path that Misty had pointed her on. Not just Gary and the Professor, but now Misty. Fluttershy was feeling really good about herself today, as she had made new Pokémon friends, a couple of human friends, and she was growing progressively more confident. In fact, she felt so good that she couldn’t just walk. Returning Pidgey and Bulbasaur to their balls, Fluttershy adjusted the straps on her backpack and began to slowly jog.

Walking had become easy enough, but moving her legs faster made things more of a challenge, and Fluttershy was determined to get the hang of it. She found herself going faster and faster until she was at a brisk jog going down the path, this way and that, nearly tripping on a few of the bumps and occasional stone sticking out of the dirt. The trees began to pass by quickly and her lungs kept demanding more air, but despite almost stumbling a bunch of times and the fast short breaths, she wanted to feel the wind on her face and kept running. She felt herself longing for her wings, to ignore the fear of falling and just soar into the open air for a while. However, exhaustion finally stayed her feet and made her rest against a tree. To her surprise however, she had found that she had made greater distance than she would have expected.

Wresting against one of the last trees of this patch of forest, at the top of a hill no less, Fluttershy looked both ways. Looking out over where she came from, she could see the tops of trees over a wide expanse, and ghosted hills bordering the horizon. Looking down the path she had yet to travel, she could see another open field leading to another patch of trees. Beyond that, she could see out in the distance what she assumed to be Viridian City. From what she could tell, it was very large, with numerous white high-rise buildings. A city unlike anything she had seen before. Manehattan had more skyscrapers than high-rises, and there were more unique individual buildings, whereas Viridian looked more uniformed. And that the high-rises were all white made the city very bright in the distance, with the sun aimed right at them from this angle.

Admiring the view, Fluttershy took out the water bottle and drank about half of it. Placing it back into her pack, she stood up and brushed herself off, then made her way down the path once again, singing to herself a song she didn’t know, but the words just kept coming to her.

“~Till the end I will be with you, we will go where our dreams come true, all the times that we have been through, you will always be my best friend.~”

She kept singing through the field and into the next forest, thinking of her Pokémon, and everypony else back in Equestria. She couldn’t wait to tell them about her day in this world. Lost in her thoughts and song, she didn’t notice until now that there hadn’t been any Pokémon or animals in the field or the forest.

“Wait a minute.” Fluttershy said to herself, stopping and listening for the slightest sound. “This doesn’t feel normal.” Pulling out Pidgey’s ball, she called him out and asked. “Is this normal for the area? It doesn’t seem like there’s any animals or Pokémon here at all.”

Pidgey listened, and heard something that Fluttershy could not. Suddenly in a panic, Pidgey grabbed one of the straps on Fluttershy’s backpack and beat its wings to pull her down the path. Taking the hint, she started running as fast as she could, following Pidgey as it led her through the forest as fast as it could get her to follow. The sky gradually got darker over the course of the next few minutes and it began to rain hard. But the weather didn’t seem to be what had Pidgey spooked. After several minutes of running through the rain, Fluttershy emerged from the forest into the suburbs of Viridian, but Pidgey didn’t stop leading her farther and farther away from the forest.

“Hey, you! What’s the hurry?” Came a concerned, yet commanding female voice.

Fluttershy stopped and Pidgey flew onto her shoulder and hid itself from the rain under her hair.

“My Pidgey was leading me through the forest and seemed to want us to get away from something really fast.” She said, turning to face the person who called out to her. It was an adult woman who was wearing a sort of blue and red uniform with white gloves, green hair and red lipstick.

“A Pokémon’s senses are always right. How about you dry off in the station while this storm blows over.”

Fluttershy followed the woman to a small station building. Wondering if she should even go in, she practically jumped through the doorway when the first bolt of lightning flashed in the sky with a loud thunder clap to follow.

“Here you go.” The woman said, handing Fluttershy a little towel.

Now that she got a good look at her, Fluttershy remembered a little of what the Professor had told her and realized that this was an officer Jenny. There are two very well-known and distinct families in this world, the Jenny and the Joy families. Joys are all red haired women who more often than not, end up working as Pokémon center nurses. Their family traits are so strong, that you can hardly tell the difference between them, and it doesn’t help that they all have the same name. The Jenny family is likewise the same in that respect. Looking the same, though different from the Joy family, and using the same name throughout the generations. Instead of nurses however, the Jenny family tend to be police officers, usually the aces of the force. There is no family resemblance like that of an Officer Jenny or a Nurse Joy.

“This is quite the freak thunder storm.” Jenny said, leaning against her desk and grabbing her coffee cup. “Where are you coming from anyway?”

“I’m from Pallet.” Fluttershy responded meekly. “I just started my Pokémon journey today.”

“That’s funny.” Jenny said, sipping her coffee. “You’re the third trainer from Pallet to come by here today.”

“So then Damian and Gary have already been here.” Fluttershy said to herself. “I must have missed seeing Gary when Bulbasaur led me off of the main road.”

“The first one looked like he was a bit of a punk, and the second was riding in the back of a car with a bunch of young women. I only met him because I had to give the driver a speeding ticket.” Jenny said, laughing a little at that.
Lightning flashed again, making Fluttershy jump. “Is the weather always like this?” she asked.

“We do get occasional freak thunder storms every now and then, but they don’t last very long. But wouldn’t you already know that if you’re from Pallet?” Jenny inquired suspiciously.

“I am from Pallet,” Fluttershy quickly said, panicking and pulling out her trainer card and showing it to Jenny. “I’ve just never been to Viridian before. And I’m not very good with lightning.”

Jenny examined the card. “So, your name’s Fauna?” Fluttershy nervously nodded. Jenny casually scanned the barcode on the back of the card with a little scanner on her desk. The computer screen showed that it checked out. “Not that I ever suspected you of anything, but sorry for the third degree. Watch out though Fauna. There’ve been reports of Pokémon thieves in the area.” She said, handing the card back to Fluttershy.

“I will.” Fluttershy said, taking the card back and putting it away.

She looked out the window, just as a blinding flash of lightning, much larger than any one before it, erupted in the distance beyond the trees. Likely in the clearing between the two forest patches. And not more than a second later came a powerful thunder clap that literally shook the ground.

“Oh boy!” Jenny said, nearly spilling her coffee on herself. She quickly opened the door and looked out in the direction of that last bolt of lightning. “That was a doozy of a lightning strike. Hope none of the trees caught fire.”

Looking around curiously, Jenny noticed that the rain seemed to stop just as that lightning bolt had hit. The clouds even started to dissipate, as though the storm was only there to unleash that one bolt. A little sunlight peaked out from between the clouds and a rainbow started to form in the sky.

“It looks like the storm is over now. So, where are you heading to Fauna?”

Fluttershy walked out from the station. “I should probably check in at the Pokémon center and then make my way to Pewter. I couldn’t challenge the gym here in Viridian even if I wanted to as I am now. Maybe down the road though, when I get a few other badges.”

“Sounds like a good plan. Oh, and look here.” Jenny said, pointing to a poster on the sign board next to the station. “These are the two Pokémon thieves that we’ve been warned about. Their faces are a little dark in the pictures, but that’s them. Keep an eye out and keep your Pokémon safe.”

“Understood.” Fluttershy said, looking at the poster.

“And by the way,” Jenny said with a smile. Fluttershy looked curiously at her. “Welcome to Viridian City.” Jenny winked and gave Fluttershy a salute.

Fluttershy gave Jenny as big and warm of a smile as she could and said, “Thank you.” Then she turned down the road and started on her way to the Pokémon Center, practically skipping as she went. She felt so happy that she kept meeting such nice people.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay, but I'm back online again. I'm also told by my proof reader that Fluttershy was written out of character in this chapter. I'm not seeing it, but if you do, I'm terribly sorry. As always, comments and constructive criticism are welcomed and encouraged.