• Published 29th Sep 2014
  • 2,866 Views, 125 Comments

Fluttershy’s Pokémon Adventure - ShadowFirePon3



Sometimes, to break out of your shell, you just need to go on a little adventure.

  • ...
4
 125
 2,866

Chapter 4: A New Friend

This was one of the proudest days of Fluttershy’s life. She had only been in this world for a few hours and yet she has already done so much, with even more to come, as the day had only just begun. Nearing the top of the hill that she was climbing, she looked back at the small town of Pallet. It looked like a nice place, even smaller than Ponyville and very peaceful from this distance. You wouldn’t guess that there would be a big crowd of cheering people down there. In fact, looking at the size of Pallet, there couldn’t be that many more people in the whole town than where at the lab at this very moment. A small yet supportive community.

Once she was at the crest of the hill, Fluttershy found herself in a large grassy meadow with three large trees randomly growing in isolated locations across the meadow’s expanse. The trail seemed to stretch on for about another mile through the meadow before entering one of the many small woods that occur regularly on the way to Viridian, according to the map. She adjusted the straps on her backpack and started up the trail, keeping a close eye on the tall grass to either side of her. According to the Professor, Pokémon like to hide in tall grass and will often jump out at unsuspecting trainers. Sure enough, after walking for a minute, a small Pokémon came walking out of the grass and onto the trail ahead. It looked to be about half the size of Bulbasaur and appeared to be a purple mouse with a long and curled tail. Fluttershy stopped and immediately pulled out her Pokédex.

“Rattata, the forest mouse.” The Pokédex began to say in its metallic voice. “Like most rodents, its teeth grow continuously throughout its life and must be worn down by gnawing. Thanks to its sharp fangs, it is able to eat nearly anything, though it mostly likes cheese, nuts, fruits, and berries. It also comes out into open fields to steal food from stupid travelers. When it is threatened, Rattata can deliver a powerful bite.”

Hearing the sound of the Pokédex voice, Rattata stopped dead in its tracks and watched Fluttershy intently. Fluttershy nervously took a step back and withdrew her face behind her hair and sheepishly peered out at the Rattata, who grew quite curious at this strange human before it. Keeping its head low to the ground, Rattata made its way closer to Fluttershy until it was only about two yards away. Then it looked up at her face and sniffed the air a few times. Fluttershy slowly crouched down and held her hand out.

“Hello there, little friend.” Fluttershy gently said, as Rattata sniffed her fingers. “Do you want to come with me on my Pokémon adventure?” She used her free hand to grab some Pokémon food from her bag, which she was sure to make easily accessible for these situations back when she was sorting through her stuff. “Here you go.” She said, presenting the food.

Rattata greedily munched away at the Pokémon food that Fluttershy had given it and she gently used her fingers to scratch behind its ears. Looking around for any more Rattata, she concluded that this one must be on its own. The Pokédex didn’t say whether or not Rattata was a solo type or if it stayed in groups, but it appeared to be a loner at this time. She put a few more pieces of food on the ground to occupy Rattata while she took her backpack off and presented two Pokéballs.

“This one here,” she held out the ball in her left hand and placed it neatly on the ground before her, “is my Bulbasaur. I just got him but I think we already make a great team. And this one,” She placed the ball in her right hand next to it, “Could be your ball, if you want to come with me. What do you say?”

Finishing the food on the ground, Rattata looked up at Fluttershy and then sniffed the empty Pokéball. Fluttershy watched as Rattata seemed to consider the proposition, but after a few seconds Rattata quickly swiped Bulbasaur’s ball in its tail and ran off into the grass.

“Hey!!!” Fluttershy yelled as she grabbed the empty ball and started chasing Rattata. Some Spearow that were perched in a nearby tree, made sounds as though laughing at Fluttershy. Her legs nearly seized up hearing the Spearows laughter, as she remembered her torment as a little filly in Cloudsdale, but the thought that Bulbasaur had just been stolen kept her running after Rattata. “Give back my Bulbasaur!” She cried out, as Rattata had her chase it all over the meadow before it ran up a tree and taunted her from one of the branches. “I didn’t want to do this,” Fluttershy said between heavy breaths, “but you leave me no choice!”

Fluttershy stamped her foot and glared at Rattata intensely, to which Rattata felt a shiver go up its spine. Fluttershy’s eyes suddenly got wide, but didn’t lose their intensity. Rattata couldn’t stop looking into them, it was locked in the gaze. What’s more, it felt a growing sense of the sort of fear and emotional sickness that normally was only induced as a child, by one’s mother, with the intense disapproval at what it was doing. Rattata’s throat started to go dry and its stomach was in knots as it started to break out in a cold sweat. This continued for several seconds before it gave in, nearly breaking out in tears as it tossed Bulbasaur’s ball back to Fluttershy and ran off with its tail between its legs. Fluttershy caught the ball and the Spearows laughter intensified as they watched her beat Rattata with nothing more than a stare, to which she shot a glare at them and they quickly shot out of their perch and flew away, scared of what that gaze might do to them.

Holding Bulbasaur’s ball close to her heart, Fluttershy sighed deeply in relief. “That wasn’t very smart of me I guess. Maybe I should have just had you battle that Rattata, instead of trying to befriend it right off the bat. The professor did say that some Pokémon will take advantage of kindness if I wasn’t careful, especially the small ones.

Finding her way back to the path, Fluttershy continued on through the meadow with Bulbasaur’s ball in hand. She was ready to jump at a battle with the first Pokémon that she saw, and wasn’t going to let one trick her again. Nearing the first patch of woods, Fluttershy noticed a little dirt clearing in the grass, where three Pidgeys pecked at the ground for bugs and worms. As soon as she saw them, she tossed Bulbasaur’s ball near them and they scattered. Having forgotten to press the button before throwing it, Fluttershy felt really embarrassed when Bulbasaur didn’t come out. But she wasn’t given any time to dwell on it, as one of the Pidgey’s didn’t just fly away, and was now dive bombing her. She ducked and the Pidgey just missed her head. Scrambling towards the dirt clearing, she picked up Bulbasaur’s ball and pressed the button, making it grow three times in size.

“This time for sure,” Fluttershy said, kissing the ball for good luck. The Pidgey was beginning another dive at her as she threw the ball up in the air. “Bulbasaur, Tackle!” She called out.

Bulbasaur came bursting out of the Pokéball and immediately began its midair tackle. Pidgey tried to adjust its course, but it was too close and was coming in too fast. Bulbasaur hit straight on and the two Pokémon went cascading to the ground. Pidgey landed on its back with a ‘thud’ whereas Bulbasaur landed strongly on its four feet. Pidgey got up as quickly as it could and took to the air again, now aiming for Bulbasaur. Swooping low, Pidgey hovered above the pathway for a second and then beat its wings strongly, sending a burst of sand into the air, then it flew up and circled as Bulbasaur angrily tried to wipe the sand from its eyes.

Tackle wouldn’t work unless Bulbasaur could somehow reach Pidgey, taking that into consideration, there was only one move that Bulbasaur could use. “Growl.” Though Fluttershy didn’t have to tell Bulbasaur that. It was already mad and growling at Pidgey.

The hypnotic effect of ‘growl’ lowered Pidgey’s physical strength, by inducing a quick jolt of fright through its body. Despite that, Pidgey saw it as a challenge, that it foolishly agreed to and began its descent into a tackle attack.

“Bulbasaur,” Fluttershy called. “Stand your ground and pin Pidgey after it hits.”

“Saur!” Bulbasaur replied, digging its claws into the ground and bracing its joints, preparing to take the hit.

Diving in as fast as it could, just before impact, Pidgey flapped its wings one last time for good measure, then slammed into Bulbasaur with all the force it could muster. Bulbasaur was ready however, and was only knocked back a little bit, its claws digging into the ground as it slid back about a foot. With Pidgey in a slight daze from hitting something so solid, Bulbasaur recovered quickly and jumped at it. Shaking off the daze, Pidgey tried to escape to the air, but was not quite fast enough as Bulbasaur came down upon it. Bulbasaur then quickly glanced over at Fluttershy, who had pulled out a Pokéball. Seeing this, Bulbasaur jumped back off of Pidgey to give Fluttershy a clear shot. Making sure she pressed the button, Fluttershy brought the ball up and threw it as accurately as she could at Pidgey.

Unfortunately, she had thrown it a little high. Noticing that, Bulbasaur quickly ran to Pidgey, who had just gotten to its feet, and launched it into the air with a scooping and throwing motion of its head. The disgruntled Pidgey was sent spinning and flipping upwards, and tried with no avail to stabilize itself with some frantic flapping of its wings. When at last Pidgey kept itself upright, it was too late. Bulbasaur’s quick thinking sent it colliding with the Pokéball, which opened upon impact, sucking Pidgey inside as a red energy and falling to the ground. Fluttershy ran up to the ball and Bulbasaur jumped into her arms. They watched as the ball wiggled from side to side and the button flashed red. With every shake of the ball, Fluttershy expected the Pidgey to burst out and escape, until the shaking and the flashing suddenly stopped and she heard a metallic ‘ding’ from it.

It took a second before what just happened sunk in, and then, “WE DID IT!!!” Fluttershy cheered, jumping up and down, hugging Bulbasaur tightly and swinging from left to right.

“B…bulba..." Bulbasaur choked out, as Fluttershy was hugging too hard.

“Oh.” Fluttershy said, noticing Bulbasaur’s discomfort and setting him down. “I’m sorry. I’m just so excited. We did it. I’m so happy right now I could just…” Fluttershy could hardly contain herself, almost exploding with enthusiasm like Pinkie Pie. But she took a deep breath and calmed herself, then quietly said to herself, “Yay.”

Bulbasaur waited until Fluttershy was finished and then ran over and paraded triumphantly around the Pokéball. Fluttershy giggled at Bulbasaur’s display and picked up the Pokéball. Her second battle and her first success. Though she knew that it was all thanks to Bulbasaur’s quick thinking. Next time she’ll get it right.

“Well Bulbasaur,” She smiled. “Want to meet our new friend?”

“Bulbasaur!” Bulbasaur said, jumping in the air.

Fluttershy nodded, agreeing with Bulbasaur’s excitement, and pressed the button on the Pokéball. The ball opened and a burst of white energy shot out of the ball and landed on the ground, taking the form of, and then solidifying as Pidgey. Pidgey didn’t seem too happy about having lost, but it didn’t show any sign of wanting to escape its new trainer. It just quietly pouted while looking anywhere but at Fluttershy or Bulbasaur. Which was funny to watch, as Bulbasaur insisted on moving to be in Pidgey’s sight every time it moved its head away.

“Oh, I’m sorry we were so rough.” Fluttershy said, gently petting Pidgey’s furry stomach with the back of her fingers.

Pidgey just stuck up its head in protest.

“How about this?” Fluttershy asked, holding out her other hand, which she had some food pellets cupped in her palm.

Instantaneously forgetting its contempt, Pidgey excitingly hopped over to the cupped hand and began eating the pellets. Now cooing in satisfaction as Fluttershy used her free hand to brush her fingers against its head and stomach.

Fluttershy smiled and watched as Pidgey finished the last pellet. “So, can I count on you as a member of my team?”

Pidgey gave a salute with its wing and puffed out its chest, to which Fluttershy giggled because it was so cute. Bulbasaur jumped in, startling Pidgey, and rubbed its face up against Pidgey’s body, ruffling its feathers and greatly disturbing it. Fluttershy pulled Bulbasaur away from Pidgey and let it preen its feathers back into a tidy and smooth arraignment.

Lost in thought, Fluttershy accidently said out loud, “I know how that’s like. Preening yourself is never very fun.” Both Bulbasaur and Pidgey gave Fluttershy a really confused look. “Oh, um… never mind. Anyways,” trying to change the subject “My name is Flutter…. I mean, Fauna. And this here is Bulbasaur. I hope we can all get along and be good friends” She said, patting Bulbasaur on the head.

Bulbasaur got the hint and decided to ignore Fluttershy’s strange comment, though Pidgey kept turning it over in its head while slowly returning to preening itself. After it finished, Pidgey flapped itself on top of Fluttershy’s head and sat itself comfortably on her hat. It was strange, but she didn’t dislike letting Pidgey stay there for now as they continued on down the path and into the woods. She also decided to keep Bulbasaur out for now because he was extremely energetic and needed to burn off some energy, of which he was doing in excess, running around her in circles as she went along the path. It didn’t take long before Bulbasaur wore itself out and began getting thirsty. Fluttershy pulled out the water bottle in her pack, and realized that it was empty. There was also a sticky note attached to the bottom of it that Fluttershy took off and read.

“Humans have a bit more sensitive stomach than ponies, Pokémon, and animals. You’re going to need to learn to find relatively clean water sources and use the water purifier that is in your pack. So consider this is part of your survival tutorial.” The note ended with Discord’s little doodle of his face again.

Fluttershy sighed and pulled out the water purifier. It was a small little pump with an input tube and an output tube on the side and bottom of the shaft. It also had another sticky note attached to the side.

“Step one, find a lake, pond, river, or stream.” Fluttershy read, then looked up at Pidgey. “You’re from around here. Know where I can find a lake, pond, river, or stream?”

Pidgey took off into the trees. Fluttershy and Bulbasaur followed as quickly as they could. Every time Pidgey got too far ahead, it perched itself on a tree branch and waited for them to catch up. They were going pretty far off of the beaten path, but after about ten minutes, Fluttershy could hear the river. Moreover, there was a waterfall nearby. Pidgey led them out of the trees onto another pathway along the edge of a river. Bulbasaur jumped in to a shallow area and feverishly gulped down mouthfuls of water. Pidgey was content to just sit on a rock and bathe in the afternoon sunlight. Fluttershy hopped onto a bolder at the water’s edge and pulled out the water bottle and purifier again. As she sat down on the warm surface of the rock, Bulbasaur came running up from the water and shook itself dry before plopping down and soaking up the sun. Fluttershy smiled at her two new friends and was about to try and figure out the purifier, when she heard the sound of an approaching bicycle.