• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 1,136 Views, 51 Comments

My Little Battalion: Tank Battles Are Magic - CyberFan479



The Mane Six competes in competitive tank battles. (Crossover with World of Tanks)

  • ...
5
 51
 1,136

Chapter 1: Candy Store For Tankers

The Harmony Tankers excitedly browsed models upon models of light tanks. Rainbow Dash scanned the entire area for a tank of her choice. She wanted one with coolness, awesomeness, radicalness. She narrowed down her search to 3 tanks that looked quite similar and had almost identical names - the only things that set them apart were their colours and subtle differences.

"May I be of any assistance?" said a familiar voice, Rainbow Dash turned around, her cerise eyes met with a pair of azure ones.

"Uh, sure. I can't really decide from these 3 tanks. Maybe you could, you know, tell me something about them?"

"Well the one on the left, the Renault NC-31, it's one of the fas-..." Rainbow Dash didn't even let Greased Lightning finish his first sentence before hitting the 'Purchase' button on the screen, gaining possession of the nimble Renault.

"...-test... Oh well, I guess my work here is done." he remarked, as he strode over to Fluttershy, who looked a lot smaller standing in the middle of everything else, her baggy uniform wasn't helping either.

"May I help you?" Fluttershy eeped when she saw the hulking brown stallion that was towering over her, but when she noticed his warm-hearted expression on his face, she calmed down a little bit.

"Umm...do you have anything that’s good at...erm...hiding? Fluttershy asked, scuffing the floor with her boot, her hands clasped behind her back.

Lightning thought this over a little bit, then turned back to Fluttershy and spoke in a soft voice, "There's the MS-1," he replied, pointing to small camo green tank a few metres away, "It's small and easy to conceal in bushes, making it difficult for enemies to detect and hit you. It's gun has acceptable accuracy and good damage."

Now it was Fluttershy's turn to think this through. The idea of hiding and still being useful to the team sounded appreciable. It's size, "hat" and "tail" made it resemble one of her woodland creatures. It was worth a shot, "Ok then, I'll take it," she said quietly, walking over to the screen to confirm her purchase.

'Another satisfied customer," he thought as he approached a more hyperactive than usual Pinkie Pie. She was rushing from one tank to the next at speeds that Lightning thought was next to impossible, before stopping in front of a small grey tank with a rear-mounted conical turret.

"Ah, so you're interested in the Leichttraktor, aren't you? Well, it's weaponry and engine may be a little underpowered to start with, but a few good matches should unlock its full potential and make it a fun tank to battle with."

Pinkie only needed to hear the world 'fun' to seal the deal, "I'LL TAKE IT!"

As Lightning walked away, he noticed the massive grin on Pinkie's face, "Not even the word 'excitable' can describe her. Well, I've met plenty of tankers as excited as her, so I'll just leave her be," he said to himself.

He noticed Rarity walking up and down, passing each and every tank, scrutinizing every one to the very last nick before walking away.

"Is there something about the tanks that bothers you?" Lightning asked, noting the disapproving look on her face.

"Bothers me?" Rarity replied, "Bothers me?" she repeated, spluttering out the words as if her mouth were full of biscuits that she had yet to swallow.

Lightning drew a deep breath, mentally preparing himself for whatever was to come.

Fortunately, it didn't. Rarity calmed down and composed herself, speaking in her posh accent once again, "I apologise for my sudden outburst, but I feel that these tanks really lack a sense of style, a sense of elegance. I know I have to tolerate all this, having to wear this uniform after all. But maybe you could show me something a little more of my style?"

Lightning's face fell for a moment, which made Rarity slightly regret speaking her mind just now. But, then he grinned again, "We do have something that's 'a little more of your style'. Follow me."

He led Rarity to a tank located on the far side of the showroom. It was coloured greenish blue. To Rarity, The tank named 'Renault FT' was an improvement compared to the 'dirty' colours of the other tanks she's seen.

"Well, I guess it's better than nothing then," she said, tapping the 'Purchase' button, before turning back to Lightning," Again, I'm sorry about what happened just now."

"No need to apologise. Sometimes, if we really disapprove of something, it's better to speak our mind and get that vexation and displeasure out of your head," he replied, a smile plastered on his face.

As Lightning went to assist somepony else, Rarity smiled too, she knew a gentlecolt when she saw one.

Lightning approached Applejack, who was kicking the tracks of tan brown tank with a cylindrical turret.

"Hey, mind tellin' me about this here tank?"

"Hmm, the T1 Cunningham. Well, it's armour is fairly weak, but its so-called 'auto-cannon' can pack quite a punch at close ranges and it's quite fast too."

Applejack thought for a moment. For some reason, this 'bug-eyed' tank tickled her fancy - she might as well try it out, "I think we got ourselves a deal, mister."

"Excellent!" Lightning replied. His grin disappeared as soon as it had appeared. He looked around, trying to spot a certain purple unicorn.

"So, where's Twilight?" he asked Applejack.

"Ah think I saw her leave through the back door," she pointed to the door leading to the storage lot.

"I guess she already got her tank. Come on, lets go see what she got."


Greased Lightning and Applejack walked out of the showroom and into the storage lot. It was a large space behind the garage with lines marking out each individual 'tank lot'. Currently, six of them were occupied by 5 light tanks, and in the last one was a larger tank painted a faint brown. Twilight was walking around that tank, inspecting it for any faults or defects.

"So, Twilight, You got the Vickers Medium Mk. I," Lightning began, grabbing Twilight's attention, "Armour is quite thin for a medium tank and it's easy to spot, though it has a good selection of weapons, all of which are quite viable, powerful and accurate for a tier 1 tank."

"Ok, thanks for the information," she turned to her friends, "Alright everypony, we're all armed and ready to show everyone who really are the Rulers Of The Battlefield!"

There was a chorus of cheers before Twilight silenced them, "But before we jump into a battle, we've got to get used to our tanks. After all, the tank we drove in the tutorial handles differently than ours."

"But Twilight, how can we practise without hurting somepony?" Rarity questioned.

Twilight knew what Rarity had meant. They needed to find a place to practise. Driving tanks around willy-nilly while learning the ropes is bound to be a bit dangerous after all, Twilight walked towards her friends to try and brainstorm where they could practise when Lightning spoke up.

"There's a training yard on the eastern side of the camp, it'll give you plenty of room to experiment and practise commanding your tanks."

"Alright then, what are we waiting around for? Lets see what these things can really do!" Rainbow Dash said excitedly.

"Well, off you all go then! See you later." Lightning said, walking back into the garage.

"Goodbye Lightning!" Twilight responded as she clambered into her tank, so did the rest of the Harmony Tankers. The six tanks roared to life, a mix of puttering and rumbling filled the storage lot.

Author's Note:

If you're wondering what any of the tanks mentioned actually look like, here's a link to the World of Tanks Wiki and the tanks' respective pages.

Wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks

Renault NC-31: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:Ch06_Renault_NC31

MS-1: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:MS-1

Leichttraktor: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:Ltraktor

Renault FT: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:RenaultFT

T1 Cunningham: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:T1_Cunningham

Vickers Medium Mk. I: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:GB01_Medium_Mark_I