• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 1,133 Views, 51 Comments

My Little Battalion: Tank Battles Are Magic - CyberFan479



The Mane Six competes in competitive tank battles. (Crossover with World of Tanks)

  • ...
5
 51
 1,133

Prologue: Training Daze

Author's Note:

Any criticism and comments are welcomed. Anyways, enjoy the story!

"Argh! When is she going to come out?"

"Like the saying goes Rainbow Dash, 'patience is a virtue'."

"Look, your egghead words aren't helping Fluttershy pass the tutorial. In fact, I think she's still trying to turn the turret around, if she actually tries..."

"Rainbow Dash! Fluttershy was willing to step out of her comfort zone to join us in this tournament! And by the way, your insults and complaining is not helping either!"

"Oh yeah? Well I..."

"Quit ya yappin' y'all. If we are to get anywhere in this here competition, we gotta learn to work together."

"And that means being able to tolerate and be patient!"

"Hey! I"m not the only one who's losing her cool!"

"But that's because..."

"HEY FLUTTERSHY! HOW DID IT GO?"

It was at that time when all of Twilight's and Rainbow Dash's rage and angry quickly dissipated, albeit a small amount of it still remained as Rainbow Dash shot a glare at the purple unicorn as they walked towards the yellow pegasus who had just stepped out.

The meek and timid pegasus was Fluttershy, her rather baggy uniform made her look even smaller than she already was. Her eyes never looked up, in her hand was an official looking sheet of paper. The same kind that all the other ponies that had successfully enlisted also received.

Nothing could match the amount of happiness radiating from the pink earth pony named Pinkamena Diane Pie, or simply called Pinkie Pie. In just a nanosecond, she had both hands around Fluttershy, a huge grin on her face.

"YAYYOUPASSEDYOUPASSEDYOUPASSEDWECANALLFIGHTTOGETHER! UmmwellnotfightagainsteachotherImeantfightagainstanotherteamasateambecausethatwouldhavesoundedstrangesincewealljoinedthiscompetitionasateam..."

"Ok Pinkie, I think you've said more than enough," said Rarity, in her posh accent which rarely faltered.

"Umm Pinkie, would you please let go now? If you don't mind?"

"Oh ok! But I'm so EXICTED!"

"Yeah, me too! I'm so pumped up! Non-stop action, big moving metal boxes that weight tonnes with powerful weapons, what's not to get excited about?"

"Simmer down Rainbow Dash, we still need to get our tanks from the garage."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go then!"

She ran off for several metres before abruptly turning around and sheepishly walked back.

"So uh... Where is it exactly?"

Twilght facepalmed, "Follow me..."


The six ponies walked across the camp. As they passed by numerous tents and barracks, several tanks of various shapes and sizes drove pass. Their jaws nearly hit the ground as a large grey coloured tank nearly twice as tall as them thundered by.

"So, you've noticed that Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus tank that just passed by. I'll be surprised if you didn't."

The voice had came from behind them, they turned and came face to face with a green unicorn, her mane was jet black with a gold and brown streak. Her uniform was crisp and starched as if it was ironed while she was still wearing it. Behind her was a tan brown average sized tank, its turret was open-topped and it had a insignia of a gold heart with a sergeant rank inside of it.

"So, you're the new squad that got enlisted."

"Yep, that's us." Rainbow Dash said boastfully

The unicorn closely scrutinized her, "Hmm, snarky, arrogant, and a little hot-headed. You must be Rainbow Dash."

"Hey! I'm not hot-headed!"

"You know, that just helped her prove her point, did you know that?"

Rainbow Dash glared at Twilight through narrowed eyes, she opened her mouth to retort, but the green unicorn interupted her.

"Hey, all of you better work on your relations, a feud in a team is as bad as facing an armada of Maus tanks. By the way, name's Golden Heart."

"My name is Twilight Sparkle, leader of the Harmony Tankers. This is Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Fluttershy."

"So you all registered as a team?"

"Yep," replied Rainbow Dash, "We'll show the other teams what teamwork and friendship can do!"

"Well, I'm the second-in-command of my team, Battalion 21014, and I'll tell you something. Teamwork is just as important as skills and good equipment."

"So umm, don't mind me asking..." Twilight said.

"Go on."

"Mind telling us about that tank?" Twilight asked, pointing at the tank behind Golden Heart.

Golden Heart looked back, " You mean my tank? Well for starters, that is a M18 Hellcat, a tier 6 tank destroyer."

"What in tarnation is that supposed to mean?" Applejack questioned.

"Let me explain, every tank used in the tournament is marked with a tier and a type. Currently there's 10 tiers, this allows the matchmaking system to match teams of similar tiered tanks to prevent unbalanced battles. There are also 5 different types of tanks, light tanks, medium tanks, heavy tanks, tank destroyers and SPGs, also commonly known as artillery. Light tanks are well, light, and are faster than most tanks in the tournament but have relatively thin armor and underpowered weaponry. Heavy tanks have thicker armor and powerful cannons which makes them a force to be reckoned with, but are quite slow, cumbersome and an easy target to hit. Medium tanks sits somewhere in between with average armor, average firepower and average speed. Tank destroyers are specifically designed to destroy enemy tanks with weaponry that are much more powerful, however, most tank destroyers lack a turret and must re-position themselves in order to hit a target. SPGs take a different approach to fighting by provide powerful indirect fire support with shells lobbed in an arc to hit distant targets from friendly lines."

"Well shoot, that's a lot to remember." Applejack replied, her brain practically melting from the mass overflow of information.

"Well, back on topic. The Hellcat is a unique being one of the only few tank destroyers with a turret as well as having one of the highest top speed and acceleration in the tournament. Armed with a high powered 90 mm AT Gun M3, the Hellcat can be a dangerous tank destroyer to fight. However, it has armor comparable to tier 1 tanks, is slow to turn and is a high priority target to the enemy team. So if you're good with sniping, I highly suggest you take this tank out for a spin."

"Ok, thanks! We'll keep that in mind," replied Twilight, "So, do you know where the garage is? We're on our way to pick up our tanks."

"On the north side of the camp, straight ahead then turn left, you can't miss it."

"Ok! Thanks again!"

"No problem, see you later."

"Alright girls, time to move!" Twilight proclaimed.

"Yeah! I can't wait to get my hands on those things!" Pinkie said excitedly.

"Well, I hope the tanks over there aren't as rough-hewn as the ones we saw. I mean, look at the colour palette! Brown, grey, green, and just one colour for each and every one of them. And not forgetting the rough contour, no elegance whatsoever."

"Looks like you can only hope, Rarity." Applejack said, "But fer now, lets get to the garage first."

The Harmony Tankers set off again towards the garage, where their weapons of choice were waiting for them.


"Wow, it's a lot bigger than I had expected."

The six ponies stared, gobsmacked at the sheer size of the garage. It was nearly thrice as big as an average house, the noise inside was deafening. A tank or so would drive out only to be replaced by another. Everything was happening so fast, that Twilight's head was starting to spin.

"Ok, who would've though getting a tank would be this stressful?" Twilight though out loud, messaging her temples. She realised what Golden Heart had meant that they couldn't miss it.

"Do you require some assistance?"

Twilight looked up, standing in front of her was a tall, brown stallion with a stocky build. His short, unkempt mane was a shade of blonde. She couldn't help but look at his toned arms and sky blue eyes.

"Uh, yes. We're here to get our tanks."

"Oh, so you're the new squad. Follow me to the showroom."

The stallion led the Harmony Tankers to a separate room. The noise from the outside was still audible, but not as deafening. The so called showroom was occupied with hundreds of thousands of model tanks. From light tanks to tank destroyers, they were yet again astounded by the sheer size of the room and the amount of tanks that was stored in here.

"Since you're new recruits, the tanks available to you are the tier 1 tanks over there," the stallion pointed to a row of small sized tanks on the other side of the showroom.

"Huh? Why don't we get the higher tiered tanks?" Rainbow Dash protested.

"Good question, allow me to explain. As a new recruit, you will start with a tier 1 tank of your choice. When you participate in a battle, be it a win or lose, you will earn Experience Points and Credits which are stored in your ID cards, which double as 'credit cards'. You can use Experience Points to 'research' better weapons, equipment and most importantly, higher tiered tanks. Most of the time, you have to research certain equipment in order to be able to research certain tanks. Credits are used to buy equipment and tanks that you have researched, it is also used to repair your tank and reload your ammunition. Please note that Bits can be used to be converted to Credits, but cannot be converted back. Bits can also be used to purchase a 'Premium' status which allows you to earn more Experience Points and Credits per battle."

"So to get better tanks, we gotta keep fighting?"

"Essentially, yes," replied the stallion.

Rainbow Dash grumbled, "Alright, fine."

"Well if it makes you feel better, usually it should only take you a few battles to move onto tier 2."

Rainbow Dash expression lightened a bit, "Well, enough talk. I want my tank!"

The stallion grinned, "When you find a tank you think it's most suitable for you to use, there will be a screen in front of the model which shows its specifications and stats. Simply tap the 'Purchase' button on the botttom of the screen to receive the tank. After that, the tank will be ready in the storage lot at the back."

"Thanks! By the way, my name is Twilight Sparkle of the Harmony Tankers."

"I'm Greased Lightning, delighted to make your acquaintance."

"Well, thanks again. Alright girls, lets... go..." Twilight's friends had already ran off to check out the different kinds of tanks.

'Might as well join them,' she thought, as she walked over to the tier 1 tanks on display.