• Published 30th Sep 2014
  • 1,321 Views, 7 Comments

Contest of Love? - AnimeKid22



Applejack and Rainbow Dash have been dating for a while and things seem to be going pretty well. They every time they can't come to an agreement on something, they do random competetions, just as they always have. This time around is no exceptio

  • ...
14
 7
 1,321

The Date Dilemma: How Do We Choose A Date?

It was another fine day on Sweet Apple Acres. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and it was a cool temperature. Not too hot, not too cold. Just right. It was a perfect day that couldn't possibly be bad in any way. At least that's what these stories are supposed open up with. Applejack had been going out with Rainbow Dash for about a year at this point and they couldn't be happier with how it was going, aside from the arguments and constantly trying to outdo each other which got them worked up and eventually led to them making out. It all worked itself out after that. Then again trying to see who was the most affectionate worked out for both of them pretty well. Anyway, on to AJ and RD who are still asleep.

Applejack knew she had to get up to do chores, but her bed was soooooo comfy and she didn't want to part from the sleeping pegasus next to her. RD looked adorable when she was sleeping like that and her coat was so soft and warm... Applejack found herself falling asleep again which she knew she could do unless she wanted Big Mac getting mad at her. For a stallion of few words, when he actually had something to say, he could be downright scary. Applejack got out of bed and stretched her legs and then yawned. Still a bit sleepy, she decided to make some coffee to help wake her up. Oh the magic of coffee. The smell of that wonderful brew lit up her sense of smell with pleasantries and happiness which were the only things to use to describe it's aroma. Other words could be used to describe it but that would have to wait till she was fully awake as words required thinking and that wasn't even considerable till her second cup.

Back in Applejack's room, a wonderful smell filled the air, causing Rainbow's ear to twitch.

"Coffee." Rainbow muttered to herself as she opened her eyes and smiled slightly. "Need coffee." Rainbow got up and stretched her wings and proceeded downstairs groggily and wobbled a bit as she was as much a morning pony as Applejack. When she got downstairs, she saw that AJ got the first cup out of the pot. Horse apples. The first cup is always the best. She thought it would be pointless to voice a complaint though since she was to sleepy to care. Or form words. Words required effort and effort required using your brain. Applejack noticed that Rainbow was awake and in the room getting a cup of coffee in her favorite wonderbolts mug and smiled at how cute the cyan pegasus looked when she was sleepy.

"Well hey there Rainbow. How did you sleep? I slept like a foal myself." Applejack was quite awake at this point after having two cups of coffee. Rainbow simply groaned in response to Applejack as she started on her first cup and made a comment about not being alive before her second cup of coffee. Applejack laughed and made her way to the door to go outside. "Well I'm off to do the morning chores Rainbow. If I don't, Big Mac'll be madder than a bull seeing red." Applejack always did love working on the farm and it was a great way to stay in shape. She especially loved apple bucking and apple buck season was one of the best times of the year. It was a little after two in the afternoon when Rainbow came out to see Applejack and after bucking all those trees, AJ decided to take a break. After talking a bit about how the cutie mark crusaders tried their newest way to earn their cutie marks and how Granny Smith was going on about how cute AJ and RD were together which made her blush. Big Mac just agreed with a "eeyup." It was hard to read him sometimes since was a stallion of so few words.

"By the way, I had a great idea earlier today." Applejack smiled brightly at this statement.

"Did it hurt?" Rainbow asked with a snicker.

"Haha. Very funny Dash." Applejack cleared her throat. "As I was sayin' before y'all interrupted me, While I was buckin' trees earlier, I had an idea. Next week will be one year that we've been together and I thought that we should celebrate by goin' on a date somewhere." Rainbow Dash loved the idea and smiled so big it was almost a Pinkie Pie smile.

"I love that idea! And it's been a bit since we've had a date. You know with you being busy on the farm and all." Applejack rubbed the back of her head and laughed nervously.

"Yeah I know. It's just so hard to get away when I've been so busy with all the extra work here lately I haven't had time to do much o' nothin'." Applejack looked at Rainbow apologetically and twirled her mane a bit. "So." Applejack proclaimed suddenly. "I have a plan for a date." She looked as though she had a moment of brilliance as she had a triumphant grin on her face. "There's this great country restaurant with dancing and music that looks like a heck of a good time!" Rainbow looked at Applejack with skeptical eyes and interrupted her.

"Woah woah woah." Rainbow didn't like the idea of this at all. It sounded boring. "AJ. I... have a better idea." Applejack looked a bit annoyed being interrupted like that.

"Oh yeah?" Applejack said with less enthusiasm than an alcoholic at an intervention. "What did y"all have in mind?"

"Weeeeeeeell... There's this awesome ice rink that opened up a few months ago and I figured we could go there." Rainbow smiled like the Cheshire cat but Applejack just got annoyed at having her idea so quickly dismissed.

"Well t' be honest, I liked my idea better Dash." Applejack was not gonna back down on her idea. I mean how could Rainbow not want to go to a restaurant with her?! "So why don't we go with my idea this time around and use your idea next time?" Applejack thought she had won.

"Hahahaha good one Applejack. How about we go with my idea this time around and go with your idea next time?" Rainbow Dash was laughing all the while.

"I don't think so Rainbow Dash." Applejack went back into alcoholic at an intervention mode. "I think we should use my idea." Applejack had her eyes narrowed to try and get across her seriousness. Rainbow wasn't having it.

"Oh yeah? Well I think we should use MY idea." Rainbow narrowed her eyes as well. No way she was losing this one.

"Well I don't!" Applejack exclaimed, practically fuming by this point. They were staring each other down. You could cut the tension with a knife and slather it on a piece of toast. It was then that Rainbow had an idea. She looked back at Applejack with a determined grin on her face.

"Well it's obvious we're not getting anywhere with this so I have an idea." Rainbow puffed out her chest proudly at this statement.

"What do ya have in mind Rainbow?" Applejack asked skeptically.

"A competition!" Rainbow exclaimed. "A series of tests to see who's idea will be used for our date!"

"Sounds good t' me!" Applejack smiled determinedly back at the cyan Pegasus.

"Now we need to find a judge for the competition." Rainbow thought aloud to herself as she tapped her hoof to her chin.

"How about Fluttershy?" Applejack thought she might be a good choice. Rainbow just stared at her awkwardly.

"Fluttershy?" Rainbow asked skeptically. "The timid pony who has an anxiety attack just thinking about competition?" Applejack rolled her eyes.

"Well who do you have in mind then?" Applejack was about at the limit of her patience.

"Twilight. Duh. She's the one who manages events the best with her lists and stuff. That and she's level-headed and will judge the events fairly." Rainbow had a smug look on her face. Applejack thought that was a good idea surprisingly. Rainbow was rarely one to think in terms of being level-headed.

"Well I guess you're on this one Dash. We'll go ask Twilight and get everything set up for the events. Next is to decide what events we'll do."

"We can figure that out as we go along." Rainbow seemed excited now to whip AJ in the competition and go on the date she suggested. Once they had agreed on where to host the event which would be at Sweet Apple Acres, they went to go find Twilight and ask her to judge it.

Meanwhile, at Twilight's castle
Twilight was quite tired after the days events. She had a conference with the mayor, went to Sugarcube Corner to test Mrs. Cake's new cupcakes, helped Fluttershy briefly with her animals, signed a few document for the mayor of Fillydelphia, and read a few books with Spike. Now it was time to relax and take a much needed bath to soak her aching hooves. She soaked for a bit until the water started to get cold and got out. She was about to retire for the night when she heard a knock at the door.

"I wonder who that could be?" Twilight thought aloud to herself. "Spike! Could you see who that is please?"

"Sure thing, Twilight." Spike went to open the door and saw Rainbow Dash and Applejack standing there.

"Well howdy Spike." Applejack said in a somewhat forced friendly tone. Seemed like she was angry about something. Oh well. "Is Twilight here? We need to ask her somethin' if she's not too busy."

"Sure I'll go ask her." Spike waddled away like a penguin when it tried to run. "Hey Twilight! It's Applejack and Rainbow Dash. They want to ask you a question but didn't really say what. They're at the front door." Twilight got up and went to go greet her friends and see what they wanted to talk about. She saw AJ and Rainbow standing at the doorway and trotted up to them.

"Hello Applejack, Rainbow Dash. How are you two?" She noticed that they seemed upset about something. "Is something wrong?"

"You could say that." Applejack huffed. She went on to explain the situation and see if Twilight would judge the contest.

"You want me to do it? Sure. I have no problem with that, but isn't there another way to solve this?" Twilight looked worried as she said this.

"NO!" Rainbow and AJ yelled simultaneously. At least there was something they finally agreed on there. Twilight giggled slightly at how bullheaded the both of them could be and yet agree on something like this.

"Well I would love to judge your competition. When do you plan on doing it?" Applejack and Rainbow thought it over a moment.

"How about two days from now?" Applejack looked over at Dash and she nodded her head in approval.

"Sounds good to me AJ!" Rainbow gave her a determined look of "I'm gonna whip your flank" and Applejack gave the same look. Twilight looked at them and nodded her approval.

"Sounds like a plan. I will see you both in two days. I assume you have the events planned?" Twilight wanted to make sure they were planning ahead.

"We sure do Twi." Applejack had planned in advance so as not to be last minute as to not confuse themselves or forget. And thus the date was set to determine who would choose the date.

Author's Note:

It's been two days since then and Rainbow Dash and Applejack are at Sweet Apple Acres preparing for the days events that will decide who chooses where they both go. Who will win? Applejack? Or Rainbow Dash? Well I'm not gonna tell you so you'll have to wait to find out.

I used to wonder what friendship could be, until you gave the first cup of coffee to me.