• Published 30th Sep 2014
  • 1,320 Views, 7 Comments

Contest of Love? - AnimeKid22



Applejack and Rainbow Dash have been dating for a while and things seem to be going pretty well. They every time they can't come to an agreement on something, they do random competetions, just as they always have. This time around is no exceptio

  • ...
14
 7
 1,320

The Beginning of the Contest: The Winner Will Be Decided By A Contest of Strength and Stamina!

The sun had just risen, and for possibly the first time ever, Rainbow Dash was awake without having coffee. Soon the moon would be eclipsing the sun and cows would flying around. Not really. That would that would make this interesting and less predictable wouldn't it? Unfortunately Discord isn't in this story so there will be no chaos or anything. Anyway, back to Rainbow Dash who is now doing morning exercises so she can whoop Applejack and go on her dream date. She could picture it now, Applejack and herself skating along like genuine bad flanks and laughing for no apparent reason other that the fact that they were having fun and doing awesome spins and stuff. After that, they would totally make out and cuddle. Yeah. Cuddles are awesome. Now wasn't the time for mushy stuff though so Rainbow went to the bathroom to wash her face and clear her mind. She started stretching and did a bit of cardio to get herself pumped up for the first event and was raring to go as she jumped from side to side in place.

Applejack was waking up and going to get coffee as was her normal routine. Ain't nopony doing nothin' till she had her coffee. She was waiting for Rainbow to come get some as well because everypony knew that pegasus couldn't do without her coffee and if, and I mean IF, she managed to go without it, it would be Armageddon. Applejack laughed at the idea of RD waking up without coffee. It was inconceivable. It was just then that somepony was knocking on the door.

"Well just who could that be at this hour?" Applejack was rarely visited by anypony so early, and she hadn't even finished her first cup yet. This was bound to be less than fun. Applejack opened the door and was about to say hello when she was jumped by a pink blur that sent her flying and knocked her to the ground. Only one pony could possibly be so energetic this early and greet her like this. If you guessed anypony other than Pinkie Pie, then you need to watch more ponies man. As Applejack collected herself and looked up to see a Cheshire cat smile on the pink ball of energy, she noticed that Pinkie Pie was shaking from head to hoof. Only one explanation could be found. Pinkie Sense. Oh crap.

"Hey AJ! I started shaking and my tail started twitching, so I ran over here super duper fast so I could tell you something was gonna happen so you better keep an umbrella, unless you don't have one in which case I have one for you!" Pinkie Pie pulled an umbrella from... well I have no idea where and I'm not gonna question it so just go with it. This is Pinkie Pie we're talking about here.

"Well that's mighty kind of ya Pinkie, but I don't really need this." Applejack took it anyway and set it aside. She was used to Pinkie's randomness already and was never really surprised anymore.

"Well you should keep it cuz I feel like something will happen so.... just. in. case. Pinkie backed away slowly and exited the house, disappearing completely. Applejack went back to drinking her coffee, pretending that Pinkie being there was just an effect of her tiredness and started her second cup while she dreamed about beating Rainbow and going on her dream date for their anniversary. They would go to the restaurant, have a few glasses of cider, dance for a bit and eat some good food. Afterwards, they would go home and make out and cuddle. Yeah. Cuddles are awesome. Now that she had her coffee, she could prepare for the days events and win! There was no way she would lose to Rainbow Dash because they were on Sweet Apple Acres, her territory that she grew up on from the time she was just a filly.

Rainbow Dash was excited for the day ahead. It had been a while since they competed against each other and she was looking forward to it with anticipation. It was almost time and she could never be more ready for some aside from being accepted into the wonderbolts which would be the icing on the cake. She made her way to the big open pasture and waited for Applejack to get there, which didn't take long fortunately. Waiting was probably one of the worst things ever and she wanted to get started so she could win already! Applejack and Rainbow Dash decided to sit under a tree since they had to wait for Twilight to show up. After 20 minutes or so, Twilight appeared and Rainbow trotted over to her, feeling annoyed by how late she was. Okay she wasn't more than a few minutes late, but I mean come on! She could've hurried up and been early or something.

"What took you so long Twilight?! My hooves were tingling from sitting for so long!" Rainbow tapped her hoof on the ground impatiently. Applejack just looked at her.

"We didn't wait very long Dash. Y'all are more impatient than a kid going to a toy store." Rainbow got more annoyed at that statement.

"I am not!" Rainbow fought to defend herself. She wasn't some filly who couldn't wait her turn. Well was a few times... That's beside the point! She wasn't losing to Applejack today and there was no doubt about it!

"Well I guess we'll see who is more mature here when I whip your flank!" Applejack was determined to win and nothing would stop her from her dream date and cuddles.

"I guess we will AJ! Just don't hold it against me when I win." Rainbow Dash was as determined to win as Applejack. They looked into each other's eyes with determination. You could feel the tension in the air so thick that a pony with social anxiety would be having a panic attack. And now ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty.

It was now time for the first event which Applejack chose. AJ and RD decided to choose two events each and who ever got the best 2 out of 3, would be the winner. The first event being apple bucking. I know it's a bit unfair due to Applejack having the home field advantage, but this is my story, not yours. And besides, Rainbow isn't exactly unfit. They positioned themselves at the starting line and waited for twilight.

"You're going down AJ!" Rainbow stared determinedly at Applejack and readied herself for take off.

"Now I reckon you're the one that'll be goin' down sugarcube!" Applejack returned the determined stare. Twilight looked at them both and then back at the flag she was going to wave to signal them to start, which disappeared somehow. She looked around frantically and noticed that Pinkie had run off with it.

"Pinkie!"

"What?" Pinkie sported a Cheshire cat grin.

"You know you could've just asked and I would've let you wave the flag." Twilight actually wanted to do it, but she didn't really mind letting Pinkie do it.

"Sorry Twi, I just always wanted to wave a flag but never had a chance till now and I was so excited I forgot!" Pinkie smiled apologetically. "Cinnamon bun?" She pulled a cinnamon bun from... well use your imagination. Again, this is Pinkie Pie.

"Where did you... Never mind. It's fine Pinkie, you can wave the flag." Twilight just giggled at her pink friend's antics. "So whenever you're ready."

Pinkie looked at AJ and Rainbow, lifted the flag, and with the loudest possible voice she could use, yelled "GO!"

Rainbow Dash and Applejack took off, making Pinkie Pie spin and get dizzy. There were buckets at the base of each tree for them to put the apples in and the both of them wasted no time at all. Apple quickly spun around and, with a mighty kick of her hind legs, knocking the apples in the tree with a *thwack* sound, causing them to fall into the basket. She quickly galloped to the next tree and repeated the process. Meanwhile, Rainbow was kicking the trees as hard as she could and filling buckets almost as fast as Applejack. She got a bit flustered that Applejack was filling more buckets so she moved faster and did the best she could. For Pinkie and Twilight, it was a blur watching them because they were moving so fast. The two ponies bucked tree after tree, filling buckets as quickly as possible, until they came upon The Tree. The biggest tree in the orchard. One that Applejack couldn't possibly buck by herself. She looked at RD who nodded her as though she already knew what she was going to say. They galloped as fast as they could, spun around and kicked with all their might and with the tree shaking, the apples fell from the tree, which were larger than normal apples. Twilight and Pinkie cantered over to them and Twilight began counting the buckets. After a few moments, Twilight announced that Rainbow Dash had bucked the most trees.

Applejack conceded, however Rainbow Dash didn't want to accept that.

"Wait a minute Twilight. We did the last one together, and there is an equal number of trees, so I think it should be a tie." Applejack stared at Rainbow Dash with a what-are-you-thinking look on her face. "I just felt like giving us both a point for this one, Okay?!" Rainbow blushed and looked away. Such a tsundere she was. Twilight looked at Pinkie Pie and shrugged.

"Okay. Give them both a point Pinkie." Twilight never figured that Rainbow would say something liken that, but nonetheless, she was okay with it.

'Okie dokie lokie!" Pinkie Pie pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down the score. "So what's the next event Dashie?" Pinkie Pie stared at Rainbow in suspense in rather overdramatic manner. Rainbow Dash looked back at Pinkie and smiled. She was about to speak when Applebloom came galloping up to 4 ponies with a distressed look on her face. She skidded to a halt and caught her breath before speaking.

"Applejack! I need your help! If you don't, the situation will more hopeless than a group of people fighting over the last piece of turkey on thanksgiving!" Applebloom was sweating and obviously nervous about something. Also, I want turkey now.

"What the hay is going' on Applebloom?" Applejack was concerned about her sister and wanted to help her in any way possible.

"Well... Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were supposed to help me with a fundraiser for the school, but they both got sick and I need y'alls help if you can give it." Applebloom gave them puppy eyes. You know the ones. Those soul crushing, tear inducing, I'll-give-you-whatever-you-want eyes. And if you can say no to those, you're either heartless, or a veteran parent.

"Sure Applebloom. I'd love to help. What kind of fundraiser is it exactly?" Applejack was curious. Fundraisers are fun and competitive.

"Anything you can do to earn bit really. Within the legal boundaries anyway." Applebloom had no idea what that meant, but Miss Cheerilee told the class that and she would never disobey a teacher. For fear of... PUNISHMENT. "I had a great idea, but Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo weren't too keen on the idea. I wonder if they didn't just skip out on me." Applebloom consider that possiblitry and felt annoyed by it.

"Friends don't do that silly." Pinkie giggled. "Friends help friends, and if a friend doesn't help a friend when that friend is in need, well that isn't very friendly now is it?" Applebloom thought about it and it sounded kinda weird the way Pinkie put it, but it made sense in the moment.

'You're right Pinkie." Applebloom smiled brightly. Pinkie wasn't right. They actually skipped out on her.

"So..." Applejack changed the subject to get back to the subject at hand. "What was your idea exactly?" Applejack's curiosity was getting the better of her.

"A hardcore parkour challenge." Applebloom seemed excited about it. Applejack suddenly realized why Sweetie and Scootaloo were "sick". Rainbow Dash perked up at the thought of doing some hardcore parkour. It wasn't something she did often because had nopony to do it with. Rainbow had an idea and rubbed her hooves together.

"So... You need somepony to help you out? We could do it. It would be a great event for our competition to decide who choose a date!" Rainbow thought it was a great idea. Applejack wasn't so sure but decided to go along with it.

"I don't have any other ideas, so let's do it y'all!" Applejack was determined to win this one. Applebloom gave her big sister a bear hug at this statement.

'Oh thank you, Applejack! This means more t' me than y'all know." Applebloom jumped up and down excitedly like a kid who had been give too much sugar. Which makes me wonder if Pinkie had given her a cupcake.

"I didn't give her a cupcake! I pinkie promise!" Pinkie said nervously.

"Who're y'all talkin' to Pinkie?" Applejack wondered.

"The narrator." Pinkie smiled back at AJ

"I'm not even gonna ask." Applejack knew better than to question Pinkie's mind.

They all advertised so that ponies could watch and give money to the fundraiser for the school. There was a jar for Applejack and Rainbow Dash so they could decided who won based who had the most bits in their jar. Applejack and Rainbow were stretching their muscles so they didn't pull anything as hardcore parkour takes a lot of muscle and stamina to do. Applejack had done it once or twice, but nothing major and certainly not what Rainbow Dash was planning. Rainbow was the type to do the most extreme thing possible, and this would be completely insane, if she had no wings. The only issue however, is they were tied down so AJ and Dash would be even and not be able to cheat like a certain event that will not be named. Rainbow hated being restricted like that, but Applejack knew she would use her wings if given the chance.

After about an hour of getting ready, quite a few ponies had shown up to watch the event. A lot of the ponies in town loved to watch Rainbow Dash in action, and Rainbow loved the attention, so it worked out for everypony. After warming up for a good half hour, Rainbow was ready to win. She was determined and had no doubt that was the most extreme of the two. She was thinking about making her middle name "extreme". Rainbow 'Extreme' Dash. Aww yeah. Pinkie Pie was getting impatient and wanted to this started so she could watch them jump and stuff. Or whatever it was they were gonna do. She had no real idea.

It was time to begin and AJ was as ready as Rainbow Dash. They had an obstacle course set up and Applebloom was at the stand getting ready for the bits to flow in the jars. Twilight and Pinkie were sitting in a hot air balloon waiting to give the signal for them to start. Everypony got really quiet, Rainbow and AJ were at the starting position, Pinkie was eating a cupcake loudly and a bag of popcorn. Twilight lifted the flag, looked at the two ponies who looked back at her, and with the use of her magic, waved the flag.

"GO!" Twilight yelled. And they were off faster than you could blink. Dash immediately went for the nearest wall and started climbing it until she found a window, which jumped into and used it to jump onto the nearby roof and started galloping across it until the edge of the roof which she easily cleared and made it to the next roof. Applejack located a series of walls which she hopped over, using her right forehoof as leverage and saw that the last one led to a roof. She started wall jumping and made it to the top and galloped across quickly, clearing roofs just as Dash did. She eventually caught up to her when they spotted a trapeze that had been set up and looked to Dash and Dash looked back at her. They galloped as fast as possible, jumping into the air, Dash grabbing the trapeze and AJ grabbing Dash's hind legs. They swung upward, giving AJ enough speed to grab the second trapeze and reaching out for Dash to grab her hooves. Dash held on and they swung towards the trampoline on the ground nearby. All the ponies on the ground gasped anxiously. How were they gonna pull this off? Like bad flanks. Duh. They let go and fell rapidly, both with looks of fierce determination and aimed for the trampoline. They bounced and both did awesome front flips as they landed on the ground, once again taking off. Everypony cheered them on and the bits started piling up in the jars rapidly. They found a pair of skateboard which the pole grinded with and jumped down several flights of stairs, landing back on the skateboards on their forehooves with ease.

They were both determined to win and they couldn't be stopped, the goals in their minds quite visible and within their grasps. That is, until the jars were full of bits. Pinkie blew a whistle and they both stopped.

"Time's up!' Pinkie yelled. After a few minutes, everypony left and it was time to determine the winner of the event. Twilight counted all the bits in each jar and turned around to face AJ and Rainbow Dash.

"After carefully adding up the total in each jar, I can determine that... it was a tie." Twilight knew they wouldn't like this. Rainbow and AJ were both pretty miffed by the outcome.

"Well consarnit. I guess the winner will be the one that wins the last event then." Applejack said with frustration.

"I guess it will." Rainbow was still determined as ever. She was NOT gonna lose to Applejack. No way, no how.

"See you at the finish line Dash." Applejack said mockingly.

'I guess I will when I whip your flank AJ." Rainbow Dash was completely flustered at that statement, but no way was giving up!

It was all down to the last event. The last one that Applejack chose. Something she knew she was good at. Rock Climbing. See what happens in the final chapter!

Author's Note:

And so it was decided, that Rainbow Dash would be nicknamed Tsunderella