• Published 7th Sep 2014
  • 6,800 Views, 740 Comments

"If you ain't got anything nice to say..." - ManlyDerp



Big Mac has accidentally stepped in a patch of poison joke. The once quiet stallion now can't stop talking, no matter how much he wants to. Ponyville is about to get an earful. (WARNING: Contains character deconstruction and silly moments)

  • ...
43
 740
 6,800

Chapter 4 [EDITED]

"M-mornin' to you... great mornin'... excellent mornin'... best mornin' I've seen in quite a good long while; perfect for apple growing, bucking, and producing apple based products to sell to non-apple enriched ponies for the sake of mah apple themed family to whom I love all except for on-"

Pinkie's deep, accented words echo through Applejack's mind as she galloped down the path. They were the words her brother had uttered in his poison joke afflicted state. They were meaningless, pointless, and none of her business.

... Yet she knew that they might hold the slightest sliver of painful truth in them.

"... whom I love all except for..."

"... I love all except for..."

"except for..."

Applejack shook her head, returning her attention to the road ahead. She knew he would say hurtful things, she knew. Already he had hurt Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash... and maybe one more... but now wasn't the time to think about such things. Now was the time to save her brother from himself. Their sibling love for one another would see them through this turmoil...

... even if that love might turn out to be one-sided.

"..."

Dust flows off of Applejack's coat as she gallops even harder along the path.

___________

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!! Rain...Urgh!"

Try as Twilight might, it was no use. The elusive rainbow mare had refused to appear before the crowned princess of friendship; before her friend. Nothing but semi-cloudy skies could be seen in every direction she looked. Exhausted, the alicorn gently lowers herself to a nearby cloud, resting her tired wings.

"Urgh," she again groans to herself. "Just what I needed right now... Wasn't bad enough that the entire town has been literally turned upside down again, oh no; today just had to give me a large poison joked-up stallion with a side order of broken feelings and a medium-sized confusion drink..."

Gurgle

Twilight blinks at the sudden sound.

"... And I only now realize that I've forgotten to eat today. Of course....

"...URGH!"

With a second unprincess-like angry growl, violet magic begins to seep off of Twilight's horn as her voice rises higher and higher.

"Anything else you want to throw at me today, Equestria?!" her rant began, all the fatigue of the past week having finally caught up with her. "Huh?! Any, fluffing, thing, else?!"

The clouds around her start to shake as her volume increases.

"Wanna tell me that Tirek has escaped again, or that a new swarm of parasprites are on their way to eat us all or something?!"

Magic flares around Twilight's being, amplifying her voice until it boomed greatly into the empty skies around her.

"How about Sombra? Huh?! We blew his flank up good, but I'm suuuuuurrrrre he's good for a comeback right about now!

"Or what about Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon?!

"... or Flash?! How about that creepy stalker pony FLASH?! Maybe he's found another loophole in his restraining order!! Hahaha! HAHAHAH!!

She is all but screaming at this point; her voice a maelstrom of anger and frustration rivaling that of a teenager, pony or otherwise. Though, to Twilight's little credit; her voice is nearing but never quite fully embracing the fabled Royal Canterlot level of torturous volume.

At least credit her that much, fair reader.

The angered pony gives out one final "Yeah!" as her rant reaches its zenith. "That could happen! That could totally happen! Knowing how tod-, no, this wee-, no, this life of mine's been? I WOULDN'T FREAKING DOUBT IT!!!"

"IT!!"

"It!"

"It..."

Twilight's words echo... quite the feat considering that her environment is nothing more then a collection of fluffy white clouds and an empty void of blue. Nonetheless, the mysteriously echoing words begin to slowly die in the resulting silence, returning to the void from whence they came. All that could be heard now was the sole pony's ragged breathing.

Beyond that, all was silent.

"... Wow. Drama queen much?"

Twilight's acute ears swirl at the sudden sound, and so too does her head. Her eyes are soon drawn to a suspiciously darkened rain cloud next to her, whose existence she would have noticed sooner if it wasn't for her slowly degrading mind. Glaring at it, the thoroughly through alicorn quickly applies some magical pressure to the talkative cumulus and tears it to shreds.

A puffy eyed, snot-nosed Rainbow Dash tumbles out of her destroyed cover and unceremoniously flops onto the lower hanging cloud that Twilight is perched upon.

Twilight glares at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow stares right back.

A moment of silence passes.

"... Rain-"

ZOOM!

In an explosion of colors, the pegasus takes off into the blue skies.

"... Celestia damnit straight past Tartarus on a direct course for horse hell where the bubbling smooze flows endlessly and where all the bad ponies forever roam upon hot coals RAINBOW DASH GET YOUR SPECTRAL BUTT BACK HERE RIGHT NOW BEFORE I SPLICE YOU WITH A BUCKING ORANGE!!!"

In an similar explosion of colors, although much more heavily reliant on purples and pinks, the young alicorn gives chase.

___________

Applejack was quickly able to pick up her brother's trail as soon as she entered the Ponyville Park...

... though it came at the cost of having to step over the fallen forms of all the wannabee suitors; all of whom who had just had their collective hearts stomped on by a one Big Macintosh Apple.

"'Don't even bother'?" Applejack overheard Lyra Heartstrings repeat to herself gloomily, her back pressed up against the grass and her face covered in fresh tears. "He... h-he was a bit out of my league, I guess... Nut how did he know that I held feelings for him and only him, Bon Bon?! How did he know?!"

The cream coated mare sitting beside the minty unicorn twitches her left eye sporadically as a result of her 'marefriend's' question.

"I-I don't know, dear heart. It's a mystery to everypony... me especially... h-heheh..."

Applejack doesn't hear the rest of this apparently one-sided couple's 'talk' as she continues forward. Her ears soon pick up more and more similar conversations as she trots along though.

"... 'Pretty smile but too obsessed'? Well excccuuuse me for taking care of my health," pouts Colgate, the town's dentist.

"... 'Bland and uninteresting'... m-maybe I should pick up a new hobby..." mumbles Twinkleshine, the town's... pony.

"... 'Incomprehensible cutie mark'. Yeah... I agree with you there, buddy," says a tired looking Seabreeze, the town's... oceanic researcher? Applejack was never too sure.

"I-I... I knew I didn't have a chance... b-but he didn't need to be so upfront about it!" wailed a heartbroken Roseluck, the town's organic emergency broadcast system, as she lays in a heap on the ground in the middle of Applejack's path. Her sisters and one brown stallion were cooing her with kind reassurances as the farming mare reluctantly approaches them.

"Howdy," she greets, though her voice held no good cheer. "I reckon you've seen mah brother pass by these parts..."

Lilly breaks off from the group and nods her head.

"Yeah," she explains somberly, though some of her anger began to seep through. "He went by in a rush, talking to just about everypony he bumped into. Mostly he was just saying hello and saying stuff about the weather or trimmed grass or whatever..."

Time Turner picks up Lilly's slack, continuing the retelling; unlike his sheepish florist friend, the brown earth pony allowed his anger to be on full display. "But when Rose here said hi back to him, he want on a bloody rant! The girls stepped in to help before I got here, but he just tore into them as well! 'Not interested in your thin flank', 'You have a poisonous personality', 'I don't like your mane'?! He was a right old monster!"

Applejack grimaces, to which Time Turner narrows his eyes in contemplation.

"Although," he goes on, rubbing his chin as he does. Some of his anger waned as well. "That is the same face he made right before galloping off. Think I heard a 'sorry' in there somewhere as well... but I can't be so sure right now."

"He stepped in poison joke recently," Applejack was quick to explain, trying vainly to protect his brother's reputation. "He literally can't stop talking! Please Turner, Rose, Lilly, Daisy; you've got to believe me! Big Mac would never say those kinda things!"

Daisy speaks up, her voice hollow; lacking Lilly's shyness or Turner's now calmer demeanor. "No... but he'd think them, right?"

Applejack takes a step back. "N-no, he wouldn't..."

The flower pony's smiles, though it held the same emptiness as her voice.

"Oh come on, Applejack; even siblings don't know everything that goes on in their brother's and sister's heads. This is probably what he really thinks of us... of all of us..."

"N-no!" Applejack stomps, refusing to accept this. "I know he can't stop himself, but Mac is a sweet soul! He wouldn't even think such things! It just ain't like him!"

"Well... not usually," Daisy replies. "But if his lips were loosened by, say, poison joke..."

"Daisy, that's enough," stops Time Turner, placing a hoof upon her whither. "Miss Applejack," he continues, facing the pony in question. "Not to defend him, Celestia knows we can't ignore what Big Macintosh has said and done already here today... but, speaking as a stallion myself, I can confirm that some, if not most of us, do in fact have such thoughts about mares from time to time. It's just in pony nature to rate and judge those around us."

The brown earth pony is soon given a level glare from his three mare friends.

He brushes this off with the simple wave of his hoof. "Yes yes; I'm aware that I'm throwing myself under the train car here, but it's for a noble cause! As a note, I'd imagine mares are the same way towards stallions, whether you'll admit to it or not..."

The four mares present suddenly find their surroundings much more interesting then the current conversation.

"Anyways, Applejack," Time Turner returns his attention to the apple pony, who in turn does the same for him. "Big Mac hides things; you need to accept that fact if you two are to move past this horrible day when it is all said and done. Do you understand me?"

Applejack remains silent.

With an eventual sigh though, so nods her head in understanding "... Yeah... reckon I do, Turner."

The stallion smiles genuinely.

"Excellent," he comments. Lifting a foreleg, he then points towards the rightmost path before them. "He headed down that way not five minutes ago, Miss Jack. He was galloping pretty fast but something, or sadly somepony, might distract him along the way and slow him down. You'll need to be quick to catch up with him. Good luck."

With the quick tilt of her stetson and a stretch of her hooves Applejack is off. "Thank ya kindly for your help!" she shouts behind her. "I'll get this fixed; just wait and see!" She stops before the bridge leaving the park. "Oh, a-and thanks for the advice too, Turner."

"Think nothing of it," the stallion replies.

With a smile, Applejack departs yet again.

"... You're waaaayyy too nice for your own good, TT" speaks up Roseluck, her tears having tried quiet a bit.

Time Turner shrugs at this.

"Not really," he retorts. "Anypony else would have done the same thing in my horseshoes."

"What makes you so sure?" asks Daisy.

The brown stallion takes his eyes off Applejack's retreating backside, the town's clock inspector turns explains to his gathered friends

"Well think about it, girls. Big Mac just vomited nothing but heart breaking truth to just about every mare, and some stallions, in this park today..."

"Yeah, and?" Lilly asks, tilting her head.

Turner cringes.

"... Think how many bad things you yourself can say about Miss Applejack right here and now, multiply that number by twenty or so years...

"... and then apply the power of family to the result."

Silence reins.

In the silence, the three mares pause and quickly look to one another.

"... Oh wow," speaks up Lilly. "She's bucked."

Turner simply nods.

"Astronomically so."

Author's Note:

Thank you editor Thardoc for your help!