• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 458 Views, 13 Comments

An Icy Heart - LolianTriforce



With Sombra and Ornate on their first mission in the Icy North, they find their first mission tougher than their last adventure. Will they be able to triumph over evil?

  • ...
2
 13
 458

Chapter 8

Celestia led the way to dungeons. The air felt heavy all around them. As they walked, they filled Ornate with all the details. Sombra’s magic beam could be seen all over Equestria, and Celestia knew immediately what to do. With some help from Sombra, she was able to create a portal to the ice palace and bring some guards with her. Now, she was here to help.

They walked through the dungeon to find Snow Ire, asleep on the floor. Celestia looked at her and studied her.

“This is who you found here?” she asked.

Sombra nodded.

“She was wearing this,” Sombra added as he held up Snow Ire’s crown with his magic. “She used it to have magic.”

Celestia’s eyes widened a little. It was unheard for a pegasus to wield magic. There were artifacts that boost unicorn magic, but none of them give them the ability to wield magic.

Celestia opened the cell and walked over to the sleeping pegasus. Her horn flashed gold and a gold stream of light surrounded the cat’s eye pendant around Snow Ire’s neck. Using her magic, she pulled the pendant off of the pegasus.

Suddenly, Snow Ire’s eyes opened and looked around. She looked panicked and scared.

“Where am I?” she asked.

“In the icy north, Snow Plain,” Celestia responded.

Sombra and Ornate looked at Celestia with a look of confusion.

“Her name is Snow Ire,” Sombra corrected Celestia.

Celestia glanced back at them.

“That is not the case,” Celestia responded. “This pony has been missing for months. Her name is Snow Plain, and I am relieved to have found her.”

Sombra was still confused.

“Then why did she say her name was Snow Ire?”

“This is the reason.”

Celestia showed the pendant.

“This has powerful dark magic ingrained into it. Someone else was controlling her. I thank you for your help. This was the source of the magical imbalance.”

With that, Celestia walked out of the dungeon with the pendant. Snow Plain quickly followed her. Sombra looked at Ornate in relief.

“I’m glad that’s over.”

Ornate nodded and hugged him. He embraced her. It was bliss to finally have her close to him. He knew that she was the answer to his life. He knew she was the one; but Ornate was not ready for that kind of commitment yet. Therefore, he would have to wait.

***

Returning to the Crystal Empire was exciting. Ornate was happy to be back. The warm sunlight felt good against her short fur coat. Being in the snow wasn’t pleasant, but getting the job done was all that mattered. She walked down the streets of the crystal city ready to start the day.

Sombra watched Ornate look around excitedly. He smiled. He always thought it was cute to see her like this, but right now, he had a bigger problem. He was supposed to pick up an order he placed right before they left on their mission, and it was supposed to be a surprise for Ornate. He had no clue how to distract her.

Suddenly, Tailored Velvet ran up to Ornate and hugged her. Ornate embraced her back.

“Ornate!” she exclaimed. “I’m so glad to see you!”

“As am I,” Ornate responded happily.

“Hey, I have a reservation at the spa today,” Velvet explained. “I was wondering… would you like to join me?”

Ornate’s face lit up. But she stopped and looked back at Sombra. Sombra smiled. This was the distraction he was looking for.

“Go ahead,” he said. “I’ll meet you back at the hotel.”

Ornate smiled and nodded. Then both girls walked off down the street.

This was Sombra’s chance. He quickly ran down the street and into the jewelry shop. Inside was a collection of the finest Crystal Empire jewels you could ever find. There were a few ponies around, but a clear path allowed Sombra to walk up to the counter.

The counter was manned by a pony with a tan coat and a black mane. He wore an apron and a green visor, along with an eye piece that allowed him to see things clearly. He looked at Sombra and smiled.

“I got it this morning,” the tan pony said.

He pulled out a small package and handed it to Sombra. He used his magic to open the package. Inside was a small black velvet box. As he opened it, the shimmer of an emerald ring shone in his eyes. He gasped. It was perfect.

Sombra handed the tan pony the bits for the ring and took the box outside. Quickly, he galloped to the hotel and walked inside. His heart raced as he entered the bedroom. He grabbed a pouch that he had brought with him to the mission. Carefully, he placed the box in it and closed the pouch. He knew he had to wait, but he wanted to say those four little words so badly.

He sat on the bed and wondered how much longer Ornate would be. He hated to be away from her for very long. Sombra laid back and closed his eyes. The bed was very comfortable, and it wasn’t long before sleep washed over him.

***

Night fell upon Equestria. It was a warm night in the summer. The full moon shone above the sleepy land. It was calm and quiet. It was perfect for a break in.

Eternal’s magic transformed himself into a shadow. He crept across the floor of the Canterlot palace and headed towards Celestia’s room. Creeping under the door, he was able to gain access to the princess’ room. There on the bed was a sleeping Celestia. On her nightstand sat the pendant that belonged to him.

Quietly, the shadow slithered across the floor and reached for the pendant. As soon as he laid his claw on it, the lights turned on. Celestia looked on in horror at the shadow that had infiltrated her room.

She stood up and shot a beam of magic at the shadow. It swallowed the pendant and dodged the beam. Like a flash, it ran out of the room. Celestia called for the guards as the shadow ran out of the castle and out of Canterlot.

As soon as it arrived in the forest, Eternal resumed his pony form. He looked at the pendant and smirked.

“You may have won this time, but I will find a new host for my plan.”