• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 458 Views, 13 Comments

An Icy Heart - LolianTriforce



With Sombra and Ornate on their first mission in the Icy North, they find their first mission tougher than their last adventure. Will they be able to triumph over evil?

  • ...
2
 13
 458

Chapter 7

Ornate could feel her heart beating. Its deafening sound echoed in the place she stood. Everything was cloudy and dark. She could only see so far ahead of herself. She wasn’t in the crystal ball anymore. But why was she here? And, more importantly, how did she get here?

She felt a cold pair of eyes burning into soul, but everywhere she looked, she saw nothing but darkness. She trembled as the cold air surrounded her. Her short coat was not suited for the cold. She shivered and started to walk through the darkness.

As she walked, she started to hear the music of a piano. She had heard someone play the piano once, but it was a long time ago. The somber melody was distant and almost faint. She started to walk closer to the location of the piano. With every step she took, she got closer to the origin of the music.

Ornate started to see a spotlight in the distance. She walked faster towards it. She then started to make out the image of a grand piano. Its black, sleek exterior shimmered in the light of the spotlight.

Sitting on a black piano bench was a pegasus, about Celestia’s height, with black hair. He wore a purple crown with a blood red ruby in the middle where his forehead would be. The crown acted like a mask and slightly covered his face. Around his neck was a purple necklace that matched his crown along with purple hoof covers on his hooves. Attached to the necklace was a long black cape that covered his flanks, concealing his cutie mark. His red eyes gleamed as the keys to the piano plinked out its solemn melody. There was a faint red magic around the keys, making them play. This pony did not have a horn, but could use magic; just like Snow Ire.

Ornate approached the mysterious pony and watched as the key continued playing. After a while the song became soft and slowly ended. She looked up to see the pony’s eyes inspecting his guest. He arose from the piano bench and started to pace around her. She waited patiently, wondering what he was doing. Finally, he stopped in front of her and smiled.

“What are you doing here, little one?” he asked.

“My name is Ornate,” she explained. “I’m not exactly sure how I got here.”

Smiling, the pegasus made the piano disappear with his magic.

“I guess I should introduce myself,” he began. “My name is Eternal, at least, that’s what my friends call me. You may call me that if you wish.”

Ornate smiled a little. At least this pony was friendly.

Eternal started to walk away from the spotlight. Ornate followed him, hoping he would lead her out of the strange place. The darkness enveloped them and Ornate strained to see ahead of herself. She didn’t want to stumble on anything.

Walking in the dark seemed to take an eternity. She wondered if Eternal could actually see in the darkness. She didn’t know. She wanted to be found in Sombra’s embrace. She missed him dearly. Tears formed in her eyes at the thought of being away from him. She couldn’t stand it.

***

Eternal glanced at her. He noticed the tears. He could feel her pain. His powers allowed him to feel another pony’s emotions. His soul began to hunger for the power to be had. He could taste the fear of this pony; her fear of being alone forever. It was bliss to have pure fear this close.

This was his nature. He was a demon that fed off the fear and terror of others. That was how he retained his powers. His power was fading. He needed fear; and lots of it. In fact, he neglected to tell this poor pony his full name: Eternal Terror.

He unfolded his wing and wrapped it around her. Ornate looked at him in surprise. He smiled, knowing she couldn’t see his face in the darkness. He continued to walk.

Soon, they reached a pillar of light streaming from above. He stood beside it and folded his wings back. He looked at Ornate and noticed her blank stare. She was confused, to say the least. He smiled.

“This shaft of light will take you back to your world, little one,” he said reassuringly.

She smiled a little and stepped into the light. As quick as a flash, she disappeared. Eternal smiled wickedly.

“Yes, return to your loved one. But be prepared, little one, for I shall return to your precious world to reclaim my power and do away with the useless pegasus.”

***

Sombra paced the floor. He had a sick feeling in his stomach. He had searched for her with no avail. He had to know she was okay. His thoughts were racing and his heart felt like it would beat out of his chest. The panic feeling was overwhelming.

Celestia watched Sombra pace. She was worried, but not as much as he was.

“Sombra,” she started, “We’ve been looking for hours. I know you’re worried, but there’s nothing we can do.”

As if on cue, Ornate appeared in front of them in an instant. Seeing her sparked a flame of joy inside of Sombra. He ran over to her and hugged her tight, tears running down his cheek with relief. Celestia’s eyes widened with disbelief.

“I-I missed you so much,” he sobbed.

Ornate hugged him back just as tight.

“I missed you, too.”

Celestia stood up and walked over to them.

“It’s heartwarming to see you two together, but we have bigger problems,” Celestia interrupted. “The magic imbalance is in the castle and in the dungeons. It’s time to go and take a look.”

“The dungeons?” Sombra asked.

Celestia nodded.

“We go there at once.”

Author's Note: