• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 458 Views, 13 Comments

An Icy Heart - LolianTriforce



With Sombra and Ornate on their first mission in the Icy North, they find their first mission tougher than their last adventure. Will they be able to triumph over evil?

  • ...
2
 13
 458

Chapter 3

It had been hours. Ornate, Sombra, and Snow Ire had walked all around her Ice palace. Snow Ire had been casting the spell to find the imbalance, but she had found nothing. Ornate had begun to tire after the long search.

Sombra noticed Ornate’s fatigue and was quick to her side. Snow Ire noticed immediately, scowling in the process. Sombra gently lifted Ornate and set her on his back. She rested her head on Sombra’s neck and relaxed. Snow Ire turned towards them.

“I think it’s been too long,” she began, “Let’s go back inside and rest up, shall we?”

Sombra nodded and began to trudge through the snow. Snow Ire led them back inside the palace. Sombra began to walk down the hall, but Snow Ire stopped him.

“I will take it from here,” Snow Ire explained.

Sombra looked at her with great curiosity. Nevertheless, he gently set Ornate to her hooves and walked to his room. Snow Ire beckoned for Ornate to follow her. She did so willingly.

Snow Ire quickly walked down the hall to the secret door. She opened it and led Ornate inside. Ornate looked around. She was curious as to why Snow Ire would lead her here and not her room. She noticed the crystal ball in the corner and walked towards it.

She studied it intently, noticing how shiny it was. It was perfectly sculpted. Its surface had no dents. She noticed her reflection and glanced at it. She also noticed Snow Ire directly behind her.

As Ornate turned to look at Snow Ire, she noticed the scowl growing on her face. She mumbled the incantation she had memorized earlier and a glowing orb formed around Ornate.

She began to look around and panicked. Before she could run, she was transported. A bright light surrounded her. As it faded, she looked around. She was inside the crystal ball.

Ornate ran around, panicking. Snow Ire laughed as she watched her. Watching her squirm in her crystal prison was the highlight of her day.

“Do me a favor and stay put,” Snow Ire smirked. “I’ll be back as soon as Sombra is mine.”

Snow Ire quickly left the room and ran down the hall. Ornate sat down and began to cry. She was stuck here, whether she liked it or not.

***

Sombra sat on the bed in his room. He wondered what was so important to Snow Ire that she had to show Ornate and not him. He sat on the bed, staring at the ceiling. The room was nice and warm, considering the whole room was made of ice.

It wasn’t long before Snow Ire walked into her room with a solemn look on her face. Sombra quickly sat up and ran towards her.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“It’s Ornate,” Snow Ire began, “She ran off. She said she hated you. I watched as she ran down the hill into the storm. I couldn’t help her. She was attacked by arctic wolves.”

Sombra’s eyes widened with fear. He felt as if his heart had been ripped right out of his chest. It was unbearable. He fell to his knees and sobbed. Ornate was the only pony he had ever loved. He couldn’t love anyone else as much as her.

Snow Ire quickly knelt beside him. She gently put her hoof on his cheek. He pulled away. He fell down to the floor. He buried his head with his hooves. He just wanted to be alone.

Frowning, Snow Ire quickly stood up and walked out of the room and into the potion room. She saw Ornate curled up at the bottom of the crystal ball. Snow Ire began to pace around the cauldron in the middle of the room.

“Why is he acting like this?” she asked herself. “Why isn’t he getting over it?”

Asking these questions aloud brought Ornate’s attention towards Snow Ire. She gave her an irritated scowl; the dried tear stains on her cheeks were still visible. Snow Ire stopped and looked at Ornate, returning the scowl.

“What?” she asked. “You think you know why?”

Ornate nodded.

“Okay, smarty, what is your answer?”

Ornate began to explain, but the glass kept Snow Ire from hearing her response. She growled in frustration. She mumbled an incantation, allowing sound to pass through the glass.

“Speak up,” Snow Ire ordered.

“He loves me,” Ornate explained.

“Obviously,” Snow Ire mumbled.

“You don’t understand,” Ornate growled, “He was pure evil before he met me. I changed his heart. He loves me, and nothing will ever change that.”

Snow Ire growled loudly.

“He’s supposed to love me!” she shouted. “I love him more than you could ever love him!”

Ornate was greatly surprised at her response. She never knew how much Snow Ire had fallen for Sombra. She stood up and kicked against the glass. The force was enough to tip the crystal ball off the pillow, sending it towards the ice floor.

Snow Ire’s eyes widened. She quickly dove and caught the crystal ball. The sudden stop caused Ornate’s body to slam to the bottom of the crystal ball. Snow Ire set the ball back onto the pillow. She looked at Ornate with a cross expression.

“If you really want to get out,” she began angrily, “smashing the crystal ball won’t help. It will only trap you there for eternity.”

Snow Ire turned the leave. Ornate lay onto her side and began to sob loudly. Snow Ire glanced back at her.

“Don’t worry,” she began, “I’ll take good care of him.”