• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 2,065 Views, 148 Comments

Collapse, Collide - Zombificus



Diamond Tiara's friendship with Silver Spoon shatters, forcing the rich filly to make amends for her actions and maybe make a few new friends along the way.

  • ...
3
 148
 2,065

Assuagement

Even after spending twenty minutes staring out of the window in the classroom door, Diamond did not see Scootaloo return to her class. The other, still-closed door at the end of the corridor, a stylised profile outline of a mare's head marking it out as the fillies' bathroom, had not opened once since Diamond had begun her vigil, and it was beginning to seem like it might not open for some time yet.

Concern had been building in Diamond slowly at the pegasus's lack of a reappearance - as, in the last few minutes, had a more quickly building need to use the absent filly's hiding place for its usual purpose. This left Diamond in something of a dilemma: the genuine need to relieve herself would give her a reason to leave the classroom and find Scootaloo, but she was becoming increasingly doubtful that she would be able to hold it in long enough to figure out what was wrong with the pegasus before she would be forced to either dash into a cubicle, likely sacrificing all progress with Scootaloo in the process, or wet herself and disgust the other filly as well as embarrass herself, either of which were far from desirable outcomes.

Biting her lip, she raised a hoof and waited impatiently for her teacher to respond, shifting in discomfort on her bench as the agonising seconds passed by. Soon, however, the slow, plodding hoofsteps of Mr. Pincel echoed into her ears as he approached across the tiled art room floor, and Diamond turned on the bench in preparation to leave.

"Diamond," started the art teacher, looking somewhat surprised. "What do you need help with?"

Diamond looked back at him, not needing to exaggerate her expression at all. "I need to use the bathroom."

Pincel bit back his automatic response of "of course you can go" when he spotted the empty space in front of his typically star pupil, a look of disappointment washing over his face at the sight.

"You haven't even taken your sketchbook out of your drawer, Diamond. I think you've avoided more than enough work this lesson."

Biting her lip in renewed desperation, Diamond crossed her legs and pleaded with her teacher.

"Please, Mr. Pincel! I really need to go!"

"Had you done any work this lesson, I'd be more inclined to believe you, but this is Art class, Diamond, not Drama. Your acting won't earn you any points with me, young mare." With this, he turned to leave, taking determined, powerful strides away from the filly.

Letting out a whine of desperation and frustration, Diamond dropped off of the bench and made for an empty bucket over in the corner of the shelves of paint. As she neared her target, Mr. Pincel caught her movement out of the corner of his eye and paused in his departure, turning to face the filly with a tired look.

"Diamond, where do you think you're going?" He said, starting to get irritated; Diamond simply ignored him and trotted up to the bucket. Slowly, she turned to face him, positioning her hindquarters over the bucket and widening her hind legs, before raising her left back leg and her tail slowly. Horrified realisation dawned on the art teacher's face and he hastened to stop her.

"Diamond, no! Not in the bucket, please! Y-you can go to the bathroom, Diamond, just please, for the love of Celestia, Luna and everything good in the world, do not relieve yourself in that bucket!"

Diamond looked at him innocently, lowering her leg back to the ground and swinging her tail back over her unmentionables, and shrugged apologetically.

"I did say I needed to go, Sir," she offered, before trotting hurriedly out of the classroom door and down the corridor.

Mr. Pincel shook his head slowly as the door swung shut, rolling his eyes at the events of the past few seconds and turning back to the student who'd requested his help. With Diamond Tiara in his class, he supposed he should have seen something as disturbing as that coming, and silently thanked his princesses that the filly had listened to him and halted her horrifyingly hygiene-destroying actions before they could truly ruin his day.

Diamond, meanwhile, had arrived at the fillies' bathroom and stood, frozen in hesitance, with one foreleg raised to push the door open. A reminder from her body that she did, indeed, need to use the bathroom for more than just figuring out Scootaloo's problem broke her out from her state of anxious equilibrium and she leaned lightly into her hoof, easing the door open slowly enough that even Fluttershy would not have been startled by the movement.

Trotting slowly inside with a building feeling of trepidation, Diamond let the door swing shut behind her and heard a sharp gasp - presumably from Scootaloo - when it struck the doorframe with a loud thud. Taking a deep breath to steel herself, which she regretted almost instantly at the smell she'd subjected her nostrils to, she left the short corridor leading into the bathroom proper and turned right into the room, the cubicles forming an orderly line to the left of her and the sinks directly ahead, below a set of small mirrors, and behind a small orange filly, caught frozen right in the middle of the room.

"Scootaloo..." Diamond began, trailing off with a tone of soft pity as her eyes took in the details before her. Scootaloo's mane, usually spiked up, sprawled across her forehead in a sullen, twisted mess; shading broken eyes with puffy red rims and rivers of tears trailing down from them. Her posture held no confidence, no energy, no strength: she sat slumped, hunched over; her head between her forelegs upon the stained tile floor and her ceaselessly buzzing wings deathly still where they lay, pinned to her sides. As the fillies' gazes locked, Scootaloo's bottom lip began to tremble and a fresh downpour of tears fled her oceanic eyes, a choked half-sob rising in her throat before the pegasus bit her lip hard enough to draw blood and forced her lungs back under her own control.

Finding her voice again, Diamond approached Scootaloo cautiously, her pity and sympathy for the other filly flooding into her features as she tried for the second time to voice her vital question.

"Scootaloo... Who did this to you?"

The pegasus's only response was to burrow her head under her forelegs in a vain attempt to hide the newly free-flowing tears, her breaths coming in short, shaky bursts as she tried determinedly to prevent another outbreak of sobs.

"Please, Scootaloo. I want to help you."

Anger and desperation flashed in Scootaloo's eyes and she snapped at Diamond, fresh tears glistening on her cheeks.

"I... I-I don't want y-your help! I-I just wish somepony would understand!"

"...Understand what?" Diamond asked, keeping her voice sympathetic and calm. For a moment it seemed like the unproductive opening and closing of Scootaloo's mouth might signify an imminent response, but the pegasus shook her head violently, visibly disagreeing with the idea before outwardly voicing her intent, or lack thereof, regarding a response to Diamond's question.

"I a-am not talking to you, D-Diamond. N-no way."

Not ready to accept defeat just yet, but seeing that this line of conversation would lead nowhere, Diamond approached Scootaloo and tried a different approach.

"Then don't," Diamond replied simply, lowering herself to Scootaloo's level and pulling her into a decidedly one-sided embrace. "Just let me help you in some way..."

As the pegasus looked up in shock at the earth filly, Diamond gently guided Scootaloo's head with her hooves, leaning her neck to the side to better support the tearful filly's face. At first she resisted, but Diamond just stroked her mane comfortingly and spoke in a soft, soothing voice, winning the other filly over.

"Come on, Scootaloo; you can cry on my shoulder, I don't mind."

Finally letting go of her self-control, Scootaloo did just that; sobbing loudly into her ex-bully's neck, as she ran her hoof gently through the crying filly's short mane and cooed reassuringly. The pressure in Diamond's bladder had by now built to the point of serious discomfort, but she pushed that concern aside and let the broken pegasus held in her embrace get the emotion out of her system in her own time. Eventually, after a long series of sobs, Scootaloo's crying petered out, eventually being replaced by an infrequent, emotional sniffling. She pulled back from Diamond, who released her without complaint, and gazed up at her comforter as if seeing her for the first time. After a time, during which the two merely stared into each other's eyes, she mustered up the will to speak, and did so in a small but grateful voice.

"Thank you," she said softly, sniffling a little before continuing in a shy, quiet tone. "I-I needed that..."

"I owe you so much, Scootaloo; this... this was the least I could do in return."

An awkward silence fell, neither one knowing quite how to continue. Scootaloo began to look restless, glancing back and forth between Diamond and the door for some time before mustering up the energy to speak.

"You know, uh... I should probably get to class. Ms. Radium will be wondering where I am and, um, stuff... Yeah... Wouldn't want to miss any more of my lesson, and all that."

"Scootaloo, if you want to go back to class, then just do it; you don't need to make excuses, so long as that's what you want to do."

The pegasus nodded awkwardly, shuffling her hooves for a bit before rising off of the tiles and making a few stop-start steps towards the door. She paused, glancing back and offering a stumbling but quite heartfelt farewell.

"Yeah. I just... I guess I'll see you around, Diamond."

She began to turn away, but Diamond called out to her and she looked back, looking halfway between nervous and annoyed, with perhaps a hint of happiness at the action, too.

"Scootaloo?"

"Yeah?" Scootaloo responded, rubbing her foreleg uncomfortably as Diamond's eyes locked onto hers with startling sincerity.

"If you need somepony to talk to about this, o-or anything, really..." Diamond began, trailing off awkwardly, though not too quickly for Scootaloo to miss the implied offer of help.

"I'll think about it... I, um, yeah, I'll just go then and talk to you later or something."

"See you, Scootaloo."

Scootaloo's move for the exit had paused briefly as Diamond said goodbye, the filly halting her exit for a moment before she shaking her head and offering a response in kind as she left the bathroom.

"Bye."

Fidgeting uncomfortably, Diamond waited until the door to the bathroom slid shut behind Scootaloo before leaping to her hooves and dashing desperately into the nearest cubicle.

Not having time to close the door in her resurgent need to relieve herself, Diamond plonked her hindquarters down on the seat, making sure to sweep her tail to the right, out of the way, and let her tortured bladder release its contents. Letting out a long sigh of relief, Diamond slumped into the back of the toilet and thanked the princesses that Scootaloo hadn't stalled any longer before leaving. Closing her eyes, she let out a long 'aah' as the pressure receded from her innards.

"Sweet Celestia, that is so much better," she muttered to herself, before slowly coming to the realisation that the bathroom was no longer completely silent. Opening her eyes, she looked into the mortified face of Twist, a blush racing to her cheeks at the other filly's wide-eyed stare.

"Th-thorry Diamond, the door wath open and I didn't realithe you were uthing thith one..." Twist stammered, reaching out a hoof to pull the door closed and block Diamond from view, a fiery red blush upon her own cheeks. "I-I gueth the door mutht have come open or thomething. Thorry!"

Shaking her head and cursing her luck, Diamond called out a reply to the other filly, eager to move on from the incident as quickly as possible.

"T-That's okay, Twist. Lets both just pretend this never happened, alright?"

"Pretend what never happened, Diamond?"

"Thanks, Twist." Diamond replied gratefully.

"Thatth alright. I'm jutht glad you aren't mad at me for walking in on you... uh... relieving yourthelf"

Diamond frowned, confusion written in her features and spilling from her tongue. "Why would I be mad? You didn't open the door, so what could I be mad at you for?"

"I-I freethe up when I'm thocked and thometimeth ponieth think I'm thtaring at them. It wouldn't be the firtht time thomepony got the wrong idea... and I could thort-of thee y-your... filly partth, tho..."

"You thought I'd think you were staring at my bits? Come on, Twist, I know you better than to think that. What sort of pony would think you'd do anything like that? Anypony who knows you knows that you're not that sort of filly at all!"

Twist's response was nervous and barely audible, her tone exuding fear and some hurt.

"...W-well... actually... I-I, um, kind-of, maybe, th-th-thort-of like fillieth ath well ath-ath coltth."

"What's that have to do with... Oh, you thought I meant 'that sort of filly' as that sort of filly! No, I didn't mean that at all - I like mares, too, so I'd be mad to judge you for that - I meant that anypony would know that you're a nice filly and not... some sort of pervert, or whatever... I'm sorry if I made you feel like I wouldn't like you if you swung that way."

"Thatth okay... B-but can we thort-of pretend we never had thith conversation, ath well ath the other thing that didn't happen?"

"What conversation?"

Twist replied after a moment, confusion evident in her tone. "The one we jutht had, thilly!"

"I know the conversation you mean, Twist, I was just doing what you did earlier and pretending that it had never happened."

"O-oh. Right. Thorry."

"Stop apologising, Twist, you've done nothing wrong!"

"Thorry, Diamond."

"Oh, Twist..." Diamond began, shaking her head in endeared amusement at the other filly's antics. Twist, however, seemed to expect more than two words from Diamond and pushed for elaboration after a moment's silence.

"What ith it?"

"Nothing, Twist..." Diamond started, before a thought struck her and she hastened to continue. "Actually, I was just wondering if you'd like to join me, Dinky and Auburn for lunch today?"

"I don't know, Diamond, me and your friendth don't have a very good hithtory together."

"I know about the... birthday accident, Twist. Dinky is really sorry about that, and she's been wanting to make it up to you for a while. If you really don't like her, then that's okay, but could you at least give her a chance to start over?"

"The'th feeling thorry? I thought the hated me after what I did! I overreacted, and the wath jutht trying to do thomething nice - I thould be the one thaying thorry!"

"Then you can both apologise to each other. I think a fresh start could be great for both of you, but you don't have to come if you don't want to. I won't be mad, I promise. A little disappointed, but not mad - I'm not going to force you to hang around with ponies you don't like."

"No, I'd love to! A freth thtart thoundth great!"

Diamond smiled happily to herself; this unexpected conversation had gone surprisingly well.

"I'll see you later, then."

Wiping herself off, Diamond slid off of the toilet seat and turned to flush it, before pushing the door to the cubicle open and trotting on out towards the sink. As she washed her hooves, she contemplated the Scootaloo situation and the turn of events which had stemmed from it, letting her mind wander whilst she lathered the soap over her frogs.

She hadn't gotten any information out of the pegasus, but she'd definitely gone a long way to earning her trust, and her offer to lend an ear had not been rejected by the other filly, giving her hope that with a bit more effort she could win Scootaloo over enough that she'd feel comfortable sharing her problem. The incident with Twist afterwards had been incredibly awkward, but that too had seemed to be a step in the right direction as far as gaining her friendship was concerned. She couldn't remember if she'd ever teased Twist for her lisp, but she hoped she hadn't, especially since she had actually begun to see it as one of the filly's more endearing features. It was a nice sound to hear, at least in her opinion, although Copperwing's uncharacteristically fillyish giggle still had the top spot on that particular list.

Diamond's thoughts of her hospitalised friend stayed with her as she dried her hooves and left the bathroom to return to class. The memory of the older pegasus, wide-eyed and vulnerable in her hospital bed, came back to her unbidden, and a sharp pang of loss struck her heart at the image of her friend trapped alone in the place she feared most. What she wouldn't give to be there with her right now, instead of in this long, dull corridor, too far away to comfort her friend when she needed comfort more than ever.

The door to the art classroom opened suddenly in front of her, breaking her out of her lachrymose stupor to see the tall form of Mr. Pincel looking down at her in concern.

"Diamond," he began, stepping out of the classroom and pulling its door shut behind him. "Is everything alright? It's not like you to be off task in lessons, and you've been standing outside the classroom for a good minute now, as if you didn't realise where you were."

Staring down at her hooves in embarrassment, Diamond gave no answer.

"Is that... Have you been crying, Diamond?"

Still, no response.

"You know, you didn't have to pull that stunt with the bucket if you needed some time to yourself, I'd have understood."

Again, Diamond couldn't bring herself to answer, the anguish in her chest at the heartbreaking image of her friend in that sterile white bed - so afraid, so alone - as it flashed up in her mind again preventing her from managing anything more than a whimper.

"Alright, Diamond, I'm here if you want to talk about it, and I'm not moving from this spot until you either go back to class or tell me what's wrong."

"She's so alone." The words came out of Diamond's mouth without her even realising it had happened until after the fact, in perfect synchronisation with the fresh tearfall rushing forth from her eyes. His heart breaking a little at the grief in his student's voice, Mr. Pincel reached a reassuring hoof out to Diamond's shoulder and tried to get to the bottom of her sorrows.

"Who is, Diamond? Is... Is it somepony in your family? ...No? ...A friend?"

"Th-The best one I have."

"Can you tell me her name, Diamond?"

"C-Copperwing. She's... she's Auburn Wake's sister."

"And what's- uh, why is she alone?"

"She's... She's in the hospital. She had a p-panic attack, and then an asthma attack, and now she's in h-hospital. She hates hospitals; she's got a phobia, and she's all alone in there and I'm stuck here and there's nothing I can do to make her feel safe. She's so alone, in the place she's most scared of, and she's got a breathing mask a-and it's all not fair because she's all alone and I can't fix that!"

"Diamond... She is going to be okay, isn't she? She is going to get better?"

"Y-yeah, she is. But what about now? Just because she's going to be better doesn't mean she's okay now! And I could help. I could make her feel safe and happy and I could make her smile again. Maybe I could even get her to laugh. But I'm stuck here while she's over there, and I can't do anything!"

"Diamond, look..." Pincel began, before thinking better of telling her why he couldn't just let her go and visit her friend and changing tack, aiming instead to bring the smile back to her face. "Ah, actually, no... Diamond, could you tell me more about Copperwing? What's she like?"

"Well, she's a pegasus, like Auburn. She's a year older than me, and she's even taller than Auburn is - she's not skinny, though, not like Auburn. She's not fat or anything, she's just... I dunno... Auburn's tall like she was stretched upwards, but Copper's tall more like she was sized up, like a shrink ray only backwards. She's sorta... the right size for her height, I guess."

"Oh, I see. Maybe she's a naturally big filly, then, rather than just having a growth spurt? Tell me more, like, say... how did she get her name?"

"Well, it's pretty simple, really: all of her feathers are copper coloured; I mean they're actually shiny like real copper is, not just the same sort of shade. Her coat's kinda the same colour, but it's duller... like, it's still shiny when she's in the light, but not bright like her feathers are. It's really pretty when the sun goes down because all the golds and oranges and reds from the sunset light up her coat and, um, yeah... She's - uh, I mean, her wings and coat are - really nice to look at. When that happens. At sunset."

"Okay, Diamond... so, what is she like?"

"She's really patient and understanding," Diamond began, her face splitting into a broad smile as she recalled how Copperwing had helped her with her algebra, and only widening as she continued to list off feature after feature of her best friend's personality.

Seeing the positive change in her demeanour, Pincel smiled and listened until he was sure she'd extricated herself from her sorrowful thoughts. After ten minutes or so, he posed the question of Diamond's return to class, and after a little more convincing, she followed him back inside. Though he was distracted with other students as usual, Diamond still made an effort to do her work in thanks for him lending his ear to her worries, and found to her surprise that the art came easily. Her heart guided her hoof in smooth, sweeping curves whilst her mind lost itself in thoughts of Copperwing, and though both parts of her appeared to be separate in direction, they shared a common focus.

*

The remaining hour and a half of Diamond's art lesson snuck quietly past the driven filly: seconds, minutes and hours alike took the opportunity to escape into the ether as she worked, moving from light pencil sketch, to heavy pen outline, to watercolour wash. The ink outlines blurred under the invading wetness, but Diamond took it in her stride, working it into graduated shadows as the faded sea of watercolours completed its slow union with the canvas.

While it dried, the artist adventured off around the room, questing after bright acrylic paints, transparent acetate sheets and a multitude of permanent markers in a rainbow of hues. Her triumphant return to a dry canvas lasted but a moment, before she once more dove like a gannet into the seas of her work, in an determined, impassioned search for the elusive fish of inspiration. Short, sharp, bright, bold strokes of her brush shocked life into her work, illuminating carefully chosen areas of her image in brilliant colour whilst leaving others to the subtle shadows her union of blurred ink and watercolour had cast.

As the last half-hour of her time made its great escape from the day, Diamond worked like a filly possessed, teasing translucent shapes into life on the acetate with flourish after skilled flourish of her marker pens. The overall effect was like a blurred mirror image of her work thus far, copying the overall shape but abandoning any detail in favour of flowing, blending rivers of rich colour, accentuated with sparing use of the solemn, solid lines from her black marker. Examining the finished piece, she nodded with satisfaction and set it down next to the nearly-dry paintwork it so resembled before rushing off on another quest: this time, a hunt for silver paint and a glue gun.

The rest of the lesson escaped under her muzzle, aided by the distraction of her obsessive work, but Diamond didn't stop working, meticulously fusing canvas and acetate with painstaking application of the glue gun as all her classmates vacated the room. Even Mr. Pincel leaving could not break her stupor: Diamond paused just long enough to acknowledge him before returning to her work as if he had never been there at all. Finishing off with deliberate, light lines of silver paint across the top of the compound picture, she reached for the hairdryer and held it in place above the new paint, finally beginning to surface like a deep sea diver as the paint dried up under the artificial heat.

Sighing contentedly, she slumped back in her seat and set the dryer down, eyeing her finished piece with pride in her heart and a dumb grin on her face. Overlong, dirty blonde mane, subtly shining copper coat, shyly solitary pea green eye and a gleaming silver tiara: Copperwing. Her picture wasn't quite as beautiful as the real thing, but Diamond still felt a temptation to waste another hour-and-a-half just staring at it anyway. A voice calling from the doorway, however, robbed her of that opportunity.

"Diamond?"

She didn't have to look to know that the first speaker was Auburn...

"Hellooooo?! Equestria to Diamond Tiara, come in please!"

...Or that the second voice belonged to Dinky, for that matter; but she turned anyway, flashing them both a big grin. They trotted over to her table, and she hopped off of her bench and greeted them happily.

"Hey, you two. Is it lunchtime already?"

"Yup," chirped Dinky, evidently pleased about this, "Like they say, time flies when you're having fun!"

"Or," Auburn cut in, "When you're painting my sister... Really nice work, by the way, but this must have taken you forever!"

Diamond blushed modestly and shuffled her hooves.

"Actually, I only started this lesson, and I lost half an hour going to the bathroom and trying to comfort Scootaloo."

"First of all, what? Second of all, what? And, third of all, what?" Auburn responded, disbelief clear as day upon her face.

"Well, I just found a lot of inspiration, that's all... and I didn't think that the fact that I use the bathroom was anything of a revelation. I guess I should explain about Scootaloo, though. On my way to Art, I got pushed past by the Cutie Mark Crusaders; it looked like they were arguing about something, especially Scootaloo and Apple Bloom, but I couldn't hear what they were saying over the noise of the crowd. I got to class and they carried on to theirs, but a minute or two later, Scootaloo came sprinting down the corridor in tears and dived into the fillies bathroom. I needed to use the toilet anyway, so I went after her and tried to find out what was wrong."

"So," said Auburn, curious. "Did you find anything out?"

Diamond shook her head. "No, though I did manage to stop her crying, which is going to help my relationship with her. I could have pushed for info, but I thought that would just make it worse, so I kept the questions to a minimum and tried to seem like somepony she could talk to. She did say she would consider talking to me about it before she left, and she was a lot happier then, so I think we might make some progress later on."

Auburn nodded approvingly. "Good move. She wouldn't have told you anything if you'd pressed her for details, and you'd probably have lost whatever trust she had in you; but it sounds like you've gone a long way to gaining her trust. Even if this whole thing blows over before she says anything to you, this is going to be good in the long run, I think."

"Yeah, that's what I thought. We should probably get to lunch; I told Twist she could eat with us and she'll start wondering if we bailed if we don't get there soon."

"Twist?!" exclaimed Dinky, looking at Diamond as if she'd gone mad. "But she hates me!"

Diamond gave her a serious look, halting Dinky's objection in its tracks, and explained. "No, she doesn't. She's as sorry about that mess on her birthday as you are, and the only reason she hasn't apologised is because she thinks you hate her guts. This way, she can apologise to you, you can apologise to her, and we can all have a nice lunch with somepony new."

Dinky considered this and closed her mouth fully, turning away from Diamond to leave Auburn to ask her own questions, the filly having come up with a new one in the meantime. "How did you even find this stuff out? Twist's not in your class, and it's not like you two have ever been close."

Diamond shrugged helplessly, giving her answer with an attempt at lightheartedly lifting some of the oddity from it. "Bathrooms have proven to be an oddly good place for heartfelt conversations today."

Auburn shook her head in wonder. "You know, sometimes I wonder whether you're the weirdest of us, rather than Dinky." Briefly, the pegasus looked back on the morning's events and promptly changed tune. "...And then I remember things like Dinky's hoof-licking episode earlier and I realise that she's not going to give up the throne that easily."

Dinky beamed at this, and Diamond laughed lightly as the trio made their way out of the art room and down the corridor. Unseen by the chatting fillies, a pair of magenta eyes followed them as they turned the corner, their owner letting out a soft sigh and setting off on her own along a different path.

Author's Note:

Quite a long one, this time around, and quite dialogue heavy. This will be the last chapter of this arc where nothing particularly plot-related occurs (although this did set up quite a few plot points) and also the last for three weeks, since I am about to go on holiday to Australia.

As always, comments are very welcome, and I'll endeavour to reply to any questions you have. Thanks for reading!