• Published 26th Aug 2014
  • 1,148 Views, 5 Comments

Stronger then you think - SomeGenericPonyNameHere



On the verge of a breakdown Fluttershy seeks comfort, finding it in Applejack.

  • ...
3
 5
 1,148

Yer doin' fine, sugarcube!

"Speak up, blast you!"

"What's this about lowering the tax? I thought we were all in favor of the increase so as to improve our reinforcements!"

"This is the seventh time already! Seven times we have met here in our mareship's throne room."

"Yes, and seven more times coming up at a standstill. All of us have voted in favor of the tax increase. All, save for YOU, Jarl Fluttershy!!"

An accusing hoof shot out towards the frightened Pegasus's seat, making her flinch and squeak out in fright.

"ENOUGH!!", the queen called out impatiently.

All who were present turned around in a start as a harsh hoof to a wooden surface caught their attention. The queen Rarity ran a delicate hoof along the ridge of her snout in an attempt to keep herself level-headed at all the bickering.

Several members muttered their apologies with drooped ears and irritated scowls, all aimed at the fair furred mare. With a huff, Rarity rose from her seat, making everypony else present rise as well.

"It appears we are yet again at an impasse. We shall recess until the morrow. You are all excused!"

The older colts and mares left their seats, mumbling irritably and sending cruel looking sneers her way as they passed Fluttershy's seat, where she remained, quivering. It isn't until Rarity lays a gentle hoof on her shoulder that Fluttershy snaps out of her frightened state, shaking her head and blinking back tears.

"O-Oh! Rarity! I-I'm sorry.....But..But I-"

The queen shushed her friend with an understanding smile and a gentle "Shhh".

"Never you mind them, Dear. I know your reasoning behind your choice, and I agree with you whole heartedly."

She could see that Fluttershy was looking less scared, but her shaking didn't stop in the slightest. It was as if she was enduring a snow storm, becoming rigid and breathing in shallow breaths. She was having a panic attack again! Rarity looked toward the window to her right and could see Fluttershy's bodyguard still waiting by the same old oak tree she had left her at some odd hours ago, the farmer's Stetson resting over her eyes as she leaned against the tree in a light doze. With scepter in tail she tapped at the glass, causing a sleepy Applejack to rouse out of her nap and look around for the source that had awakened her.

Applejack turned to see Rarity waving her scepter at her, gesturing for her to come to the window. At seeing Fluttershy's trembling back to her Applejack needed no further bidding. She approached the window as the queen unlatched it with her magic. Rarity used it once more, with a bit of effort this time, and levitated her friend towards the waiting farmer. She Tsk'ed at seeing the wide-eyed Pegasus as she stared into space. The queen saw a brief spark of anger flicker in her emerald eyes before it was blinked away. Applejack then faced her.

"Council again?"

"Yes."

"Same issue?"

"Mm-hm."

"Flutter's the only nay-sayer?"

"Afraid so."

"Impasse?"

"Ohh, my, yes."

"They get their withers in a bunch?"

"Quite."

"Well, shoot! Alright, Ah got her from here. Thanks fer lookin' out for her, Rares."

Said mare let out a defeated huff as she tossed her curled mane over her shoulder in an irritated gesture.

"I only wish I could do more for her. Do take care of her for me, Applejack Darling!"

Applejack nodded at her friend and turned to a still shaking Fluttershy. She carefully guided her to the tree where she herself had been occupying but a moment ago, and seated her against its base. Although she had meant to turn and walk away (other pressing matters to attend to), Rarity couldn't help but to watch as the farmer handled the stiff pegasus. Fluttershy was unyielding with Rarity but once Applejack came close to them, she moved with shaking limbs and frantic breaths, as if bidden by an unspoken command. With an observant eye, she watched from afar as the two interacted.

The shade was nice, and the fair afternoon weather made it even more so. Letting out a light snort Applejack came to sit beside Fluttershy, planting her flank noisily on the ground with a muffled 'fwump'. Fluttershy flinched and locked her wide eyes up at Applejack. she could see that Applejack was smiling warmly at her, patient and understanding as ever.

Leaning her head down Applejack nuzzled the top of Fluttershy's head in an attempt to calm the mare down, afraid her bones would never stop clattering.

Fluttershy let out a sad squeak as she bowed her head against Applejacks wide chest, her wings closing over herself in an attempt to hide from the world.

The farming mare let it happen, all the while nuzzling the top of her head. She had seen the wall of liquid forming in her eyes, even saw a few tears roll down. The mare was doing her best to put up a strong front and not cry, but sadly it was a battle she was losing.

"Ah'm mighty proud of ya, sugarcube!"

"H-huh?!"

Applejack ceased in her nuzzling and leaned back on her haunches, still smiling at her friend.

"You heard me! Ah'm proud of ya!"

"B-But I....haven't done....."

"Oh, horse feathers! You're doin' the only thing that none of those stuffies can ever hope to do, 'cept fer Rares of course."

She brought up a furred hoof and pointed it into Fluttershy's chest.

"You lead with this, instead of this."

With the same hoof Applejack pointed to Fluttershy's forehead.

"But....Applejack, I'm...not a....very good leader. I can't even make a decision on my own. You should have seen their faces when they saw that I wasn't on board with their decision. They were so angry!"

Fluttershy shrank back a bit at the memory of it, scrunched up snout and low curses. Sensing her panic beginning to come back Applejack threw her head back, tossing her Stetson into the air, and catching it in her teeth. She then placed it confidently atop Fluttershy's head, making the pegasus (and the still-watching-third-party) gasp out in surprise. This was the one thing Applejack never gave out openly, nor did she ever take it off at any given time (save for a few exceptions), so for her to openly place it on Fluttershy's head was enough to give pause to the world.

"A-applejack, your hat!"

"Applejack's hat!"

Seeing Fluttershy's shocked look made Applejack grin.

"Next to family and friends, my hat is the dearest thing I posses. I couldn't have trusted a better mare with it then you, sugarcube."

The Pegasus looked up at the brim of the worn and torn Stetson, seeing the finer details of it.

"B-Bu-But-!"

"No 'buts', missy! Fluttershy, you have more strength in you then even you yerself know! You've stuck to yer guns on your decision, knowing full well that it would cause a heavier strain on the pony folk. It's been nearly a month now, and you haven't broke, even with all the pressure and nastiness from those stuck-up royals. Oh, 'cept fer Rares. And even though they scare ya and try to bully ya around, you still have everpony else's well being ahead of your fears, leadin' justly and wisely. Ya get what Ah'm sayin'?"

Fluttershy nodded slowly, biting at her lower lip as she fought tears again. Applejack continued to smile at her worried friend. She then rose from where she sat and made for the front gate.

"C'mon, sugarcube! Ah'm powerfully hungry, so lunch is my treat!"

With a slight flutter of her wings Fluttershy stood up on slightly stronger legs and went ot catch up with Applejack, a hint of a smile gracing her features.

As their frames disappeared beyond the gate of the castle Rarity dabbed at the corner of her eyes with a monogrammed handkerchief, tears of admiration threatening to muss her dainty complexion.

"Ah! That was impressively beautiful! I don't know how Applejack does it, or what it is she even does, but she's good!"

With a sigh, Rarity leans over the window pane still looking after the two mares who long since disappeared from sight.

"Perhaps Twilight could benefit from taking a lesson or two from her. Hmm....come to think of it, I wonder how Applejack would look in armor."

Just as her mind was starting to conjure potential ideas the double doors to her throne room creaked loudly open, with Twilight's head poking through.

Stern eyes met the queen's gaze.

"Your majesty, they're waiting for you in the west drawing room."

Speak of the devil.......

"Yes, coming~!"

-End

Author's Note:

Eyup, no sleep. Again. Was listening to This
as I wrote this new one out. I thought it fit pretty well.

Comments ( 5 )

I approve, Moar ?:fluttershysad::heart::heart::moustache:


>Ecocat<

4910079 Maybe some exploring into this alt. universe m'kay?


The rather tired, >Ecocat<

Title should be 'Stronger THAN you think'

'thAN' not thEN......" ;)

Otherwise, another couple thumbs up from me!! :D

However, it won't stop others from submitting your stories to my group. :ajsmug:

Login or register to comment