• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 2,891 Views, 108 Comments

The Why of Pie - Blank Slate



Pinkie tries to become a martial arts/baking master with Twilight while the others make a huge bet.

  • ...
0
 108
 2,891

The Return of Master Roundhouse

The Why of Pie, Chapter One: The Return of Master Roundhouse
I do not own any character in this story excluding Roundhouse. All other characters are owned by Hasbro and, I presume, Lauren Faust. Give them the credit. Cover art was obtained via Google Images. To whomever drew it, I apologize for using it sans permission, but just look at it. How could I not? If somepony knows the creator of it, please let me credit them!


Bounding through the kitchens of Sugarcube Corner as she was, it took Pinkie Pie violently by surprise when her entire body began trembling against her will. She immediately fell to the hard wooden floor, dirtying her coat and eliciting giggles from the two foals she was supervising. She quickly righted herself, waving a hoof in front of her mouth.
"Pound, Pumpkin, shhh! Something important's happening!"

She stood on the tips of her hooves, pointing her ear to the centre of town. Nothing could be detected, but her Pinkie Sense was never wrong. She had somepony to speak to, but little enough time to do it if she wanted to discover the source of her twitch. Sighing, she scooped up the foals and set them in her frizzy, curly tail. "Okay, you two, we need to move quickly! So, um, Pinkie Promise me you won't tell anypony what you're about to see, okay?"

The twins just babbled, which Pinkie accepted as a promise before opening the pantry. Inside, she found what she needed: a small chocolate cake the client never came to reclaim. Pinkie devoured it noisily and focused intently, muttering to herself. "Mmkay, Pinkie, just like before... focus, breathe... summon the energy..." Her body began to glow with unnatural light as the sugar hit her stomach. With a deep breath and a loud sound similar to a party noisemaker, she was gone.

* * * * *

"Ugh, Twilight! Pancakes aren't even difficult! How'd you even make a mess this big?" From his position on the stairs, Spike the dragon had a full view of the carnage. Pancake batter oozed down walls, puddled on flat surfaces, even fell from the ceiling above the skillet Twilight Sparkle was magically using to cook with. Blushing, she turned to her assistant. "Sorry, Spike, I just wanted to see if I could cook."
"Why's that?"
"Because, I'm the only pony who can't! Applejack makes all those treats, Fluttershy has all those woodland soups and stews, Rarity can make so many fancy foreign foods, hay, even Rainbow made those tacos for us!"

They both flashed back to the celebration of their third year in Ponyville, and the five course meal their friends put on for them. Fluttershy started with a simple sweet porridge of oats, fruits, and the petals of various wildflowers. Next came Rarity's dish, a tray of yellow triangles with cheese and mushrooms leaking delectably from the sides. The omelets, as Twilight found they were called, were delightful. Pinkie came next with a tray of lumpy bread-y masses. These she sloshed with a strawberry sauce and covered in cream, to the satisfaction of everypony. Applejack's course was, needless to say, apples, fire roasted and gorged with cinammon and sugar. Finally, Rainbow brought in a tray of seven U-shaped objects, each one of the seven colours of the rainbow. She piled beans, lettuce, some crumbly brown bits, and cheese into them, dispensing each friend a fitting colour.

Aided by Rarity's magic, the red shell flew to Pinkie, the orange to Applejack, yellow to Fluttershy, and green to Spike. The blue and indigo stayed with the servers, and finally the purple shell floated over to the guest of honour. Twilight levitated it to her waiting mouth, and everypony bit in eagerly.

Two seconds later, Fluttershy had Rainbow Dash pinned to a wall by the neck, her wings spread out in fury. Fluttershy pulled up the yellow taco, lifting the cheese from it and displaying the contents. Her eyes were blazing as she shrieked every syllable into Rainbow's face. "BEEF!? You would dare hurt a sweet little cow for food!?" Fat tears came quickly to her eyes and she let Rainbow fall to the floor. Once breathing and the power of speech returned to the throttled pegasus, she spoke up. "No way, Fluttershy! I'm vegetarian too, remember? It's synthetic, made from some plant called soy. It matches anything for flavour if you cook it right, so I went with traditional Marexican food, vegan style. I wouldn't kill a cow just for taco filling."

There was a big sappy apology afterward, and the memory concluded. Twilight snapped out of her daydream to find a fresh plate of scrumptious looking pancakes in front of her. Spike had smelled the smoke during the flashback and broke off early, extinguishing the burning skillet and using the last of the batter to feed her. He shook his ladle at her reprimandingly. "Twilight you can't cook because you're not trained. Rainbow learned from her mother. Fluttershy learned from what the rabbits eat. Applejack from Granny Smith, and Rarity probably learned from a big fancy book. Pinkie probably learned from the Cakes. Considering she's the best we know, you oughta learn from her. Now, you go ask her after brekkie, and I'll clean up here, okay?" The lavender unicorn rolled her eyes and giggled. "Yes, Mother."

The library door busted inwards at a strike from Pinkie's back hooves. Spike leapt backwards and screamed, incinerating Twilight's breakfast. She turned and made clear her annoyance to the festive pink blur. "Pinkie! Can't you knock? Because of you, I just lost my breakfast!" Pinkie's smile fell and she mumbled a quick apology. Twilight shook her head at her friend. "Sorry I snapped, I'm just hungry. Now, what's got you so excited?"
"Remember when I explained my Pinkie Sense and you didn't believe me and we went to the swamp and then I kept shaking and that hydra was all 'RAWR!' And y-"
"Pinkie, pause once in a while! You'll collapse if you don't breathe sometime!"

The party pony slowed her breathing, calming herself. "Okay. Remember when I explained my Pinkie Sense to you?"
"Yes, I do."
"And I kept shuddering because something totally unexpected was gonna happen?"
"Yeah."

The sugar in Pinkie's bloodstream thwarted her efforts to remain calm.
"It's happening again! Something nopony expected is gonna happen and I bet it's just going to be huge! Ooh, ooh, what do you think it'll be, Twilight? Huh? Huh?"
Twilight sighed and set a hoof on Pinkie's lips, silencing her.
"Pinkie, I'm really sorry, but I'm just in no mood for this kind of noise. I've been needing more and more sleep, and been waking up all groggy."

Pinkie's bouncing subsided as she playfully poked her friend in the ribs. "I think it may have somethin' to do with this, silly!"
"With what?"

Pinkie poked her again with a hoof, noting the way her coat and flesh moved. "Your stomach, what else?"
Twilight blushed and reflexively sucked in her stomach.
"What about it?"
"Um, not to be rude Twilight, but you live in your library, always reading or sleeping. You never go out and play in the sunshine, and frankly, you seem to eat all the things I bake... You're puttin' on some pounds, Twilight!"

The unicorn's mane and tail burst into flames at this comment. She brought her face as close to Pinkie's as she could. "I. AM. NOT!!"
Spike, his nerves now restored, stepped between them before somepony evaporated somepony else. "Girls, lemme settle this. Twilight, you've gone up three saddle sizes since we moved here, and at your age, you shouldn't be growing anymore. She's right. Pinkie, the Cake twins are stuck in your tail, and they look too scared to cry about it."

The foals in question were trembling in the poofy magenta fluff, their eyes filled with tears they couldn't shed. Pinkie straightened her tail, sliding the twins onto the grass. She giggled nervously. "Uh, sorry guys..." Spike lifted up Pumpkin Cake, inspecting her for damage.
"Pinkie, what did you do to terrify them?"
"I shivered because of my Pinkie Sense while they were riding on me. I think that frightened them."
Spike turned to Twilight. "Twi, wanna help me ou- Oh..."
Twilight was on her stomach, bawling loudly. Tears fountained from her lidded eyes as she prodded her stomach. "It's so true! I am fat!" Spike scratched his spines. "Uh, not really, Twi. You're just sorta... heavier... just exercise a bit and maybe stop eating sweets for every meal, alright? You'll slim down in seconds. And if you don't wanna do that, well, since when do you care what others think of you? I mean, you were the shut-in queen back in Canterlot..."

The sobbing mare began slamming her hooves on the ground, practically shouting. "But-but, that was different! That wasn't how I looked, just h-how I acted! Baaaaahaaaaa!"
Spike had had enough. He approached her face, grabbing her by the cheeks. "Twilight! Get a grip! It's not that bad being a bit, well, chubby. I mean, look at me! Think I mind?" Pinkie noticed she had no place in this conversation, and quietly trotted away before the tears returned, leaving the crying librarian to her assistant. "Th-that's different! You're just a baby dragon, I'm fully grown! I have n-no form to fill into, no more growing to do! I'm just fat!"
"Oh, come oooonnnn! Even Rarity doesn't whine like this! You know what? I'm just gonna go grab you a healthy breakfast so you can cheer up, alright?"

He went into their upstairs cubby of a room, reaching under her pillow. He found his prize, a heavy cloth pouch bulging at all ends. He took a clawful of golden coins from the pouch before retying it and returning it to its hiding place. Stuffing the money into small pockets of flesh he had, he called back to the depressed unicorn. "I'm heading to the market, and I'm borrowing twenty bits! Be back soon, okay?"
"Mmhmff." Was Twilight's only response with her face pressed into the tear-sodden ground. Spike shook his head. "Sometimes, I wonder who's the mature one in this library..." He hopped out the window and headed towards the town square.

* * * * *
Setting the foals down in their appropriate cribs, Pinkie Pie had time to think. The first question was, naturally, whether or not the twins could stay in bed for even an hour. The next thought regarded Twilight's over-reaction to her weight. Pshaw! I bet I could get her weight down twenty percent in ten seconds flat!

Out on a cloud, napping, Rainbow Dash felt a disturbance.

All she needs is a sport to play! Umm, what do you think, Sporty Pie?
A copy of Pinkie Pie appeared in her head, dressed in a green jersey with cleated horseshoes. Her voice was a deeper growl than Pinkie's airheaded voice, and it cut her points cleanly. "Simple! We teach her hockey!"
"But, you're wearing a hoofball jersey..."
"And that has to do with what!? We will teach that girl to skate whether she wants to or not!"
Brainy Pie, the manifestation of Pinkie's higher thoughts, cut in to the conversation, adjusting her glasses as she spoke. "She's a magical unicorn, what can we teach her that she couldn't cheat at?"

Sporty Pie was at a loss for words. She called out to the other emotions to help back her up.
"Something with teamwork!" chimed Friendly Pie.
"Something more aerobic, she needs to lose weight, not build muscle!" called Party Pie.
"Does it matter? The girl can't play..." declared Gloomy Pie.
"Umm... Let's teach her to fly!" offered Spacey Pie.
"Let her eat cake!" boomed the tremendously overweight Sweetie Pie.
"Idunnosomethingfastmakehergozoomzoomzoomallovereverywhere!" was Twitchy Pie's suggestion.

Eventually, all her thought processes began a debate in her head. Pinkie Pie shrieked at the top of her lungs, "QUIEEEEET!! I can't think with all these thoughts in my head! Oh, forget it! Mr. and Mrs. Cake? I'm going out for a break, is that alright?" The two chefs ran into the nursery, cradling the crying foals. Carrot Cake gave Pinkie a glare, speaking with all the annoyance he could muster. "Yes, yes! If it'll get the twins asleep, please do!" Embarrased, Pinkie Pie grabbed her saddlebag from a hook and opened it. Inside was her so called "Traveler's Treat," A sticky pastry loaded with honey and all manner of sweets. She tore the corner from it with her mouth, absorbing the sugar. Once she had finished, she snuck behind the bakery and began to draw on the sugar she had consumed.

* * * * *

"And you're telling me you're charging eight bits for this!? It was three bits last month!"
Spike glared up at the salespony, eyes slit icily. The stallion behind the wooden stall was sweating and his voice was trembling. "I-I'm sorry, but th-the farmers recently d-demanded wage hikes! I need t-to charge more to make any m-money!"
Grumbling, Spike doled out the coins, taking his purchase with as much vehemence as he could. Like all dragons, he was a naturally greedy creature, and being charged a good 166% extra didn't settle well with him. In his anger, his small, scaly anger, he narrowly avoided crashing into Pinkie Pie.
"Gah! H-How did you get here so fast? Sugarcube Corner's down six streets from here!"
She leant a hoof to him, setting him back up on his back legs.
"Silly, I walked! I guess I'm just fast like that!"
"...I'll just go with that. Now, you're a good chef, right?"
"I like to think so!"
"Okay, good. Whaddya think Twilight would like that's healthy?"

Pinkie Pie broke her constant absentminded thought stream, surprising the young dragon with a perfectly lucid explanation.
"Really, Spike? You're asking me, the baker's assistant, the pony whose entire room is literally coated in sugar, the pony who eats her body weight in sweets every day... you're asking me on dieting tips?"
He blinked twice, opened his mouth to speak, and promptly closed it. He elected to ignore the sudden logical outburst.
"Well, yeah. You're a good cook, and I've never seen you gain an ounce. What's your secret, Pinkie Pie?"

In the crowded marketplace, an old, grizzled stallion's ear perked up at Spike's words. Meandering through the crowd, he made his way to the duo. "Pinkie Pie?" She smiled widely, shaking his cloaked hoof happily. "Yes? Are you new in town? Ooh! Lemme make you a welcome party!"
The stallion chuckled, pulling back the hood on his cloak. A disheveled orange mane spilled down, neatly encircling the pale amber eyes and framing his yellow fur. A mischievous twinkle arose in them. "You've not changed a bit, but am I really so old that you didn't recognize me?"

Pinkie Pie gasped, immediately throwing herself to the ground in a slapdash bow. "Ohmigosh! I am so sorry, Master! I-I didn't know you were coming! Umm, umm, should I get you some food? A seat? Oh, this is so unexpected..."
To Spike's further bemusement, the old one laughed. "Relax, Pinkie, it's fine. You know I don't care much for the whole mystical, respect-your-elders schtick, so please don't go bowing and scraping to me, okay? I'm still the same pony, just a bit older and a lot lazier."
"Uh, Pinkie, who is this old guy? Ow!"

She pulled her hoof away from his head, ready to thump him again. "Spike! He's no plain old guy, he's the best old guy! Show some respect!" Not wanting another smack, he dutifully bowed and rose. "Okay, okay, I did it. So, really now, who is he?" Pinkie's eyes lit up with admiration as she gushed. "He's simply the greatest martial artist who ever lived! Grand Master Roundhouse, the best of the best of the best! You wouldn't believe what he's capable of! He can gallop on water, kick through walls, do flips and things... he even taught me how to use my Pinkie Sense!"

"Wait, wait... you told us you don't know why you get your twitches."
"And I don't! I can use my Sense whenever I want, but the twitches are totally new to it. Master Roundhouse here says none of the other students he's trained get twitches when they attempt it. He also said I'm the only pony who ever mastered it, so he named it after me!" Pinkie's smile was almost literally from ear to ear, and Spike was sure she'd hurt something if he didn't stop her. He turned to the aged stallion, cocking the spot where an eyebrow would be if he could grow them.

"So, you're a psychic like her?"
Roundhouse laughed politely, giving Spike a hoofed noogie. "No, no, we're not psychic. We get our abilities through hard work and training. And such training she did! Pinkie Pie here was my greatest student before she had to leave. And now that I've found her, I have a present for her!"
He raised his cloak and pulled something from a saddlebag, waving it in front of her. It was a small file of papers, stapled together very clumsily.

"Pinkie, inside this you'll find three tickets for the ship to Neighppon, your records, and your certification of Masterhood. Now that you've terminated your five years of meditation, I'm inviting you back to Neighppon for the final training. As you can see here," he rapped a hoof on the unsigned certificate, "You're still technically not a Master yet, I still need to sign this. You'll get my signature at the end of three months of training with me."

Pinkie Pie looked crestfallen. "Three whole months? A fourth of a year, away from Ponyville? But, what about my friends? My job?" Roundhouse shook his head, displaying an almost identical personality to her own. "Silly! I gave you three tickets- you can invite two friends to come with you, as guests or as disciples. Three months of training oughta be enough time to whip anypony into shape!" Pinkie and Spike glanced at each other.

* * * * *

"Nonononono! I am not going!" Twilight had her hooves dug deep into the ground, easily resisting the small dragon's shoves. "Twilight, you need to slim down, and Pinkie's teacher seems to know what to do. I mean, look at the guy!" Roundhouse waved from his position at the side of the library door. Underneath the cloak, steel cord-like muscles rippled, although he wore a goofy grin. Twilight was nonplussed. "Spike, I'm going to be stuck with two Pinkie Pies for three months! Without any company, I'll go insane!"
"I know, Twilight, that's why I'm coming too!"
"But, Spike, who'll watch over the library?"
A drumroll sounded from nowhere and three fillies leapt dramatically from behind the door. "Cutie Mark Crusader Librarians!"

Twilight smacked herself in the face with a hoof, but in the absence of anypony more skilled, she relented. She turned to Pinkie Pie. "So, you're sure this'll get all this off of me?" She poked her furry stomach unhappily. "Yuh-huh! I promise! I train everyday for my exercise, and have I changed a bit since we met?"
"Well, no..."
"See? I can guarantee you'll lose that jiggle if you wark hard- cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!"
"If you're so sure... Alright, we'll go. Spike, write up four letters, one to each of the girls besides us. Have them meet us in the library tomorrow morning. Mr. Roundhouse?"

The yellow stallion trotted over. "Yes?"
"Do you need a place to stay for the night?"
"Thanks, but these bones are used to hard surfaces. There's a great little rock garden not far from here, and there's just the comfiest granite there!" His basso profundo voice was entirely wrong for his personality, and downright terrified Twilight when he chuckled. "Er, right... Okay, Spike, let's go break the news!"

* * * * *

The seven friends were seated on a big circular couch at the Spa Sisters' establishment, with Roundhouse off to the side. A strong Earth pony mare was the first to speak up. "Fer three whole months!? Twi, there's more stay-at-home ways of droppin' that droop."
"Applejack, this is more than me just getting fit. If what Master Roundhouse said is true, I'll finally be able to explain Pinkie Pie!"
The fashionista spoke up next, distracted somewhat by Aloe and Lotus hovering around their number one client. "Be that as it may, Applejack- oh, yes please! My hooves are just slaying me right now! Er, be that as it may, I think Twilight should go! She simply must see all of Neighppon for me; I've heard it's simply breathtaking!" Rarity swooned for show and fell back against the plush sofa. Next was Fluttershy. "Um, Twilight? I'm fine with you wanting to lose some weight, but, um... does it have to be in martial arts? You don't even need to fight when you have your magic..." Roundhouse shook his head, bouncing in Pinkie's style and shaking the other seven. "Oh no she doesn't!"

Quicker than even Rainbow Dash could comprehend, Roundhouse pricked fourteen points across Twilight's back and neck. She twitched, shuddering uncomfortably. "What was that!? I-I can't feel my horn!"
"Simple: I paralyzed it. When we go, you'll have to do it all by hoof- the only magic will be little Spike here sending letters for you."
"Oh, you have got to teach me to do that!" Rainbow beamed. Roundhouse shook his head. "Sorry little filly, that took me forty years to learn. I doubt you wanna spend four decades of your life learning to stun one unicorn." She looked down, slightly embarassed at how eager she had been. "Right... Well, I'll find some way of doing it, I'm sure!" Fluttershy prodded her gently. "Rainbow, I don't think it's a good idea... When are you going to be fighting unicorns?"
"Shucks, she doesn't need any fancy old style o' learnin'! She just needs ta learn how we tussle back home!"
"Teach her if you must, Applejack, but please, not in the spa! You'll ruin my reputation as the perfect client!"

Spike and Pinkie turned to each other once more, both nodding simultaneously. Spike produced a small box, beams of light escaping from the clasp. Pinkie raised a hoof for silence. "Girls, this is sweet to get such a nice send-off, even though we hardly talked about it, so I decided you'll need something to keep you busy with while you can't party. Spike?"
He undid the small lock on the bock and opened it.

Inside was a masterfully carved row of gold tablets, each the size of an ordinary playing card. "I always pay rent ahead, but since I'll be gone, the Cakes returned my rent money for the next three months, and I had it melted down into these. Each one is worth six-hundred and twenty-five bits, for a total 2500 bits." Everypony beyond Roundhouse gasped. Nopony knew she had that kind of money. "Now, I'm setting up a contest, and the prize is this box and its contents. To compete, you each have to spend two months in the craziest way you ever have before! Twilight can't enter, because she's coming with us, so I've decided- If one of you wins, you get the whole thing! Two, you each get half of it. Three, you each get one piece of the gold and the fourth you'll donate. If everypony makes it to day sixty of the contest, you each can have a piece. The Cakes will preside over the judging.

"Now, as I said, you'll have to live your lives totally backwards, in the most hilarious ways I could think of." Her serious speech was slowly dissolving into infectious laughter. "Heehee! Rarity, you have to be a clown!" Rarity collapsed. "Rainbow Dash, you've just been accepted to law school!" The athlete's jaw dropped silently. "AJ, you have to be- this was Twilight's idea- a writer! And your subject is... romance!" Applejack kicked a hole through the bottom of the couch. "And Fluttershy, well..." She slapped a mouthguard into the timid pegasus' open jaws. "You're now an amatuer buckboxer!"

The four on the couch looked from one to the other, petrified. Spike and Pinkie laughed. "Hahaha! Oh, wow, you think I'm kidding, right? Hahaha!" Applejack was the first to speak, having the strongest will. "Are you tellin' me that Ah hafta start writin' all those sappy novels that Twi's got sittin' around in the library beside her bed?" Twilight's blush was almost audible. "Really, Pinkie? Aw, yer really makin' me work this time, huh?" The party pony simply nodded.

"Law school!? Are you insane? I can't even win a game of horseshoes; how am I gonna become the next big-name lawyer?" Pinkie's giggle, to her, was downright menacing. "Heehee, I dunno, but if it works, that gold there's gonna be peanuts compared to what you'll earn! Think of it, Dashie: Lawyers. Make. Millions."

"A clown, Pinkie Pie? A CLOWN!? Will I be allowed to be fabulous, like the jesters from the days of the Royal Court of Canterlot?" Pinkie's response was to smack a red ball onto the white mare's nose, leaning closely and whispering in the most terrifying way imaginable to the fashionista, "Honk honk!"

Fluttershy seemed to be getting sucked into the couch as she nestled deeper and deeper into it. Her response was muffled by all the soft padding, hardly rising beyond the faintest of whispers. "But, Pinkie... I can't fight. I'm a pacifist..."
"Relax, Fluttershy! Nopony really gets hurt in buckboxing!"
"Uh, hate to break it to ya, Pinkie, but..."
Rainbow Dash flew over slowly, whispering in Pinkie's ear. Pinkie was nearly sick after listening to what she said. "Uggh, Rainbow! That's horrible! Did that actually happen? ...Did they ever find her wing?" Upon hearing this, Fluttershy withdrew further into the fluffy couch, now just the tip of her mane visible.

"Alright girls, do you agree to these terms? No entry means no prize money!" Rarity thought for a brief moment. "Well... that kind of money would get me some new fabrics... I'm in, but on no condition will I dye my mane and tail." Pinkie nodded and spoke to the next pony. "Rainbow, what do you say?" "I may not be an egghead like Twilight, but what the heck? With that money, I could get season tickets to the Wonderbolts! I'm in!"
"AJ?"
"Shoot... we do need that money, and this year's harvest is lookin' mighty thin... Oh, fine, Ah'm in."
"Yay! Three ponies means this'll be a good race! And Flutters?"
"Mmmf."
"Uh, come again?"
The animal lover poked out of the sofa, trembling. "I guess I could buy a lot of new homes for all the critters... I-I'll do it, but I'm quitting the second somepony gets hurt..."

The five friends met hooves in a circle and bound their agreement. "Alright girls, starting the day we leave, the contest is on!"

* * * * *

The foghorn blew again, nearly deafening everypony on the top deck. Twilight grimaced and leant over the rail to her friends. "G'bye, everypony! Take care! I'll have Spike send you reports on how everything goes, alright?" The five mares on land, well beyond her voice's range, merely waved as the ship's mooring slipped and it slowly set sail. On the top deck, Roundhouse, Pinkie Pie, Twilight, and Spike all waved goodbyes to Ponyville. Pinkie sobbed and let fly a single balloon, this one with each of their cutie marks stamped upon it (with a burning quill added for Spike.) The small latex sphere floated up and up, rising from all visible sight into the upper atmosphere. Pinkie brushed a tear away and strode into the cabin. She hated long goodbyes, even if they were for short journeys. The distance may have been thousands of miles, but she still felt her friends as if they were close by. She looked up out of the hatch in the ceiling, noting the lightly clouded skies.

"Three months with no AJ, no Rarity, no Dashie, no Flutters... Master Roundhouse knows best, I guess." She returned to the deck and smiled a huge smile, beaming out to the port they had just left. "Goodbye, Ponyville! Next stop: Neighppon!"