• Published 23rd Jul 2014
  • 1,697 Views, 40 Comments

The New Babysitter - Junglehero



Pinkie Pie babysits Calvin and Hobbes. This should be fun!

  • ...
4
 40
 1,697

Chapter 2: Preparations

"IT'S SATURDAY!!!!" Calvin screamed, as he and his tiger Hobbes jumped up from their bed in joyous celebration! It was Calvin's favorite day of the week, the one day they were truly free! What were they free from you ask? Today they didn't have any school or homework, and there won't be any tomorrow either. (Not that Hobbes ever had to worry about such things, but that's besides the point) That means a whole day of no stress or dread, a whole day of spending time as best friends, a whole day of nothing but fun, fun, fun!

Calvin quickly changed from his pajamas to his usual red striped shirt and black pants, then grabbed Hobbes and rushed down the stairs at speeds that would make the Roadrunner jealous. He quickly made cereal for the both of them then plopped down in front of the television and put on an animated comedy.

"OK," Calvin began as he listed the plans for that day, "first, we are going to watch these cartoons while eating these Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs until we get super wired and Dad throws us outside. Then we'll do a relay from the tree house all the way to that stream in the woods while having a contest to see who can find the most disgusting bugs along the way. Then we'll..."

Calvin's mom, while walking by her child, overheard his conversation with Hobbes (She thought it was cute how he always had conversations with his stuffed animal) and interrupted him. "Calvin, if you're going to play outside today, you have to be back by four, alright?"

"What?" Calvin asked, "Why do we need to be back by then? It's Saturday and our bedtime isn't until seven, remember?"

"I know all that, Calvin. But Dad and I are going out tonight, and the babysitter will be able to keep a better eye on you if you're inside."

"Well I don’t see how that’s a good reason to...," Calvin paused. “Um, wwwhhaat did you say?”

“I said you’re getting a babysitter tonight.”

Calvin was speechless. After a few seconds, however, realization hit him, and it hit him HARD.

"BABYSITTER!!!" Calvin practically launched from his chair in fear and surprise. "Bu bu but... It can't be Rosalyn, can it!? She went off to college! Left town! Blew the coop! Hasta luego!"

"Do you even know what half of those mean?"

"Does it really matter Mom?! WHY IS ROSALYN BACK?!?!"

"She isn't," his Mother clarified. "It took me weeks upon weeks upon weeks upon weeks upon weeks upon…”

“I get it, Mom. Please get to the point.”

Mom shot Calvin a look, then continued. “but I finally found another babysitter for you. Her name is Pinkie Pie, a very sweet girl from Canterlot High from the next town over, and I want you to be on your very best behavior for her. I don't want you scaring her off like everyone else, OK?"

“What do you mean ‘like everyone else?’ Only Rosalyn ever babysat me.”

“Well that’s because no one else will even consider the idea of babysitting you because of all the times you misbehaved! Remember the time you crashed my car into the ravine? Or the time you made me chase you all around town to get you on the school bus? Or the time...”

“Temporary Insanity! That's all it was!”

“Convenient that you seem to go ‘temporarily insane’ every time you do something wrong.”

“I know right? I should really have that checked out.”

She sighed. “Calvin, just please behave tonight OK?”

“Alright, Mom.” Calvin said begrudgingly. But when his Mother left, he dropped the act, looked over to his feline friend, and started to unleash all of the panic that has been building up inside him for the past few minutes.

"Hobbes, WHAT are we going to do! This is HORRIBLE! I thought we were done with stuff like this once Rosalyn left! This is going to be a disaster! A DISASTER I TELL YOU!!!"
"Pinkie Pie," Hobbes restated, "That name sounds very... unthreatening, to say the least.”
"Oh, thats just to throw us off, I’m sure." Calvin started. "Its probably just a codename to make us lower our expectations so we aren't prepared when she actually shows up and turns out to be our worst babysitter YET”

“Huh, I suppose that would explain why her name sounds like it came out some some girls cartoon." Hobbes said. But Calvin wasn’t done ranting in fear.

“She'll send us to bed early, she won't let us eat cookies, we won't be able to watch TV, OUR SATURDAY WILL BE RUINED!!!" In his hysteria Calvin grabbed his friends collar and began shaking him furiously. "Hobbes, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!!!!"

"Uh..." Hobbes said, still dizzy from Calvin's assault.

"Great idea!" said Calvin, "We'll go on the offensive. We need to be ready to strike before she even has a chance to start anything. Come on, lets go get our stuff ready!" He started to run off to his room, with Hobbes quickly chasing after him.

"But what about all the things you said we were going to do today?"

"It can wait. We need to prepare for tonight!” Calvin almost immediately came up with a list of thing that they would need for the night ahead. “Alright, we need two liters of sewer water, a five and a half foot ladder, purple duck tape, our wagon, and a semi automatic."

"We don't have a semi automatic," Hobbes pointed out.

"Do we have any rifles?"

"Nope."

"Grenades."

"Nope."

"Missile launcher?"

"No!"

"Then what do we have?"

"There's a leaf-blower in the garage."

"Close enough!" Calvin smirked devilishly as he ran into his room. "This 'Pinkie Pie' character won't know what hit her!" he said as he slammed the door behind him.


"Well that took longer than expected." Hobbes said as he sat down on their bed after a long days work. It had practically took forever to gather the items they needed, because A. sewer water is hard to obtain without making yourself smell like last years garden manure, which inevitably leads to early baths, B. they were out of duct tape so they had to go to a nearby department store, where the workers were all distracted by some sort of Rock and Roll competition on TV, and C. Calvin was still dead set on getting that semi automatic, despite not being able to find one all day.

"I mean come on! We checked the department store, Dads tool shed, even the police station!" Calvin complained.

"Well, those guys wouldn't let us in the into the police armory." Hobbes pointed out.

"I'm not sure why not. I mean, we got a emergency on our hands! But apparently stopping criminals is more important than saving me from my babysitter.”

“Yes, apparently.” Hobbes said while rolling his eyes.

“But, never-mind,” Calvin said “we got enough supplies for the battle ahead. And look, someone's pulling up in front of our house!" Both boy and beast quickly ran up to their bedroom window to catch a first glimpse of their new opponent.

Outside their house was a fancy white car with two teenage girls in it, one in the passengers seat, the other in the drivers seat. They spoke for a minute, then the one in the passengers seat left the car and waved frantically to her friend as she drove away. Once she left the car, the two troublemakers could better see Pinkie.

The first thing Hobbes said was “Huh, didn't know babysitters came in decorative colors.”

“Must be a glandular problem.”

This babysitter was completely pink, the only area that wasn't were some blue designs on her clothes, which matched her light blue eyes. Speaking of her eyes, they were huge, taking up a large portion of her face. She carried a small handbag over her shoulder and had large goofy grin spread across her face. Her entire being begat an aura of adorableness that Calvin didn't want to admit. Hobbes however, had no qualms about doing so.

"Woo! She's a cutie, isn't she?" Hobbes asked, always the one to notice such things, much to Calvin's annoyance. But this time he didn't answer.

"But that's not going to stop you though, is it?" Hobbes asked Calvin. He still didn't respond; he seemed to be deep in thought.

Hobbes sighed. "I guessed so. I'll go set up the stuff." Hobbes attempted to walk to the closet where they stored their supplies, but Calvin put up a hand to stop him.

"Wait a second, Hobbes. Maybe we shouldn't do what we have planned. This babysitter seems nice," Calvin said.

"NICE!!" Hobbes exclaimed, shocked at how uncharacteristically his friend was acting. "Since when have you ever stopped your plans because someone seemed nice! It never stopped you from bugging someone like Susie, so why is it stopping you now!” He then realized what he was encouraging Calvin to do and realized he probably shouldn't do so.

“I mean, I'm not complaining or anything,” he added “but still, this seems kinda unlike you.”
"Hobbes, if this babysitter is nice," Calvin began while running to the bedroom door, "That means we will be able to mooch off her! We’ll have her do stuff for us! Come on!"

As Calvin rushed down the hall towards the stairs, Hobbes stared after him with a blank look on his face. "Yep, there's the Calvin I know," He said.

"Come on, Hobbes!" Calvin called back, "She might even be gullible too! We might be able to get away with stuff we would never get away with when Mom and Dad are home! Oh boy! This night is going to be better than I thought!"