• Published 21st Jul 2014
  • 4,821 Views, 69 Comments

What It Means To Be A Mother - FabulousDivaRarity



Sequel to "Momma". Rainbow Dash adjusts to the role of motherhood.

  • ...
10
 69
 4,821

What It Means To Be A Mother

Rainbow Dash had held many titles in her lifetime: a member of the Wonderbolts reserves, the only pony to perform a sonic rainboom, and the best flier in Equestria. The title that was newest to her was the title of sister and, behind closed doors, Mother.

The title of Mother was one that she was having a bit of trouble adjusting to. Although she had no objections to the title, she was having some issues trying to live up to the name. She had never pictured herself as a mother. More to the point, she had no idea what being Mother was all about. Her memory of her own Mother was almost nonexistent. There was only one mental image that she had, that had faded with time.

Her coat was the same shade of blue as her own, and her eyes were the same shade of cerise. Her mane was cornflower blue, and curled. She was a Pegasus, just like her daughter. She didn't remember what she'd been doing to warrant that expression, but she was grateful she remembered it. Her eyes were softened and gentle, and her mouth was curled into a smile that was filled with pride.

Rainbow Dash turned to her bedside table. She only had one picture of her and her mother. She had been three years old when her Mother passed away. There was a picture of her as a foal, curled into her mother as she slept while her mother looked on her with tenderness and love. She tried to think of that expression and put it on her face, then walked up to a mirror. The look was about right, but she didn't feel the emotion inside. That was what she needed to work on.

It was the dead of night, and although she should have been asleep, her worries were keeping her awake. She threw off her blanket and got out of bed. Walking down the corridor, she stopped in front of a familiar door and opened it as quietly as she could.

Surrounded by a puddle of sheets, the filly Scootaloo slept peacefully. The moonlight streaming through the tiny window illuminated her face. Rainbow Dash sat by her bed and looked at the slumbering filly, thinking about how much she cared about her. She molded her features into the expression her mother had held, and tried to put the emotion behind it. She felt a warm sensation in the pit of her stomach, and couldn't stop smiling. She had always wondered what her mother felt when she looked at her, and now she was beginning to understand.

It had been two weeks since she was given custody of Scootaloo, and she had put all her efforts into trying to be the best Mom she could be. What was difficult, though, was that she hadn't been able to tell her friends. The past two weeks had been some of the most happy times of her life. She had experienced so much joy, and had learned so much about herself that she was just itching to tell Somepony.

She took a deep breath before shutting the door as quietly as possible and heading back to bed. As she climbed into bed, she decided to talk to Scootaloo the next morning about their little secret. Her mind finally eased, she was finally able to get to sleep.

The morning sun lit up the cloud home from the inside out. Rainbow Dash got up a little later than usual. Today was Saturday, and she was excited to talk to Scootaloo. She went downstairs and started to prepare breakfast. When she was halfway done she heard the familiar sound of Scootaloo trotting down the stairs.

Sure enough, Scootaloo emerged with sleepy eyes and a messy mane. Rainbow Dash put a plate of scrambled eggs at Scootaloo's place at the dining room table, along with a bowl of cereal, before setting a bowl of oatmeal at her own. She set a stack of toast down and got them both a glass of orange juice.

"Morning." Said Scootaloo tiredly. She started shoving spoonfuls of cereal and milk into her mouth, and slowly began waking up.

Rainbow Dash smiled. "Morning, squirt."

After a few minutes of quiet small talk, Rainbow Dash decided now was the optimum time to ask the question that had so recently begun haunting her.

"Hey Scoots, I have a question I wanted to ask."

"Sure, anything." Scootaloo said, giving Rainbow her full attention.

"When I first adopted you, we agreed that to everypony else the story would be that I adopted you as my sister. That's still going to happen, but what I wanted to know is if you would want to share the truth with a few people. Like the crusaders, and my friends."

Scootaloo looked thoughtful for a moment, and then nodded. "I don't want to lie to them."

Rainbow smiled. "Me neither. Do you want to tell them today?"

Scootaloo nodded. "I think we've kept this to ourselves long enough."

Rainbow Dash couldn't help the pride swelling in her chest. "Do you want to tell them together?"

"Sure."

After breakfast, Rainbow raced to get Scootaloo to school, and instructed her to invite the crusaders to The Golden Oak library. She did the same with her friends before she went to work. Today's weather called for clear skies, so she flew up to begin cloud busting. The work didn't require much thought, and did nothing to relieve her mounting anxiety. Time seemed to move as slowly as a snail. As the minutes snaked by, Rainbow Dash tried everything to take her mind off of things, from racing to hanging out by the swimming hole to trying to take a nap. All of them failed her.

Fortunately for her, each escapade took at least half an hour each. It was getting close to time for school to let out, so Rainbow rounded up her friends before going to pick up Scootaloo and the other Cutie Mark Crusaders. Sooner than Rainbow thought, they arrived at the library.

Applejack, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie were all sitting together in a semicircle. Spike was sitting on Twilight's desk alongside Owlowiscious. The other two Cutie Mark Crusaders were quick to join their sisters. Rainbow put one hoof around Scootaloo before clearing her throat.

"Thank you everypony for meeting us here. We had something we needed to tell you. Before we do, all of you have to promise you won't tell anypony what we're about to say to you."

In unison, all of them said: "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!"

Rainbow Dash looked down at Scootaloo, who did the same in turn. A silent communication passed between them, and Scootaloo nodded to encourage her. Rainbow took a deep breath and began her tale.

"A little while ago I found Scoots here living in the streets. I just couldn't stand there and not do anything, so I asked her to live with me. We really bonded and got close, and one day I made a decision. I went to the mayor's office and picked up some forms. Twilight, do you remember when I needed to get that urgent letter to the Princess?"

"How could I forget? I'd never seen you so anxious in my life!"

"The Princess agreed to have an audience with me, so I flew to Canterlot to ask her to sign those papers, and she did. Those papers were adoption forms. That day I adopted Scootaloo. To everyone else, the story is going to be that she's my little sister, but the truth is... I'm her mother."

She watched looks of shock cross her friend's faces. Pinkie, of course, was the first to recover.

"This is AMAZING! I can't believe it! You know what this calls for, right?! A PARTY!" Confetti flew through the air, and Pinkie blew on a party blower. Rainbow laughed at her friend's antics. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom ran to their friend and gave her a big hug. They went to a different part of the library to talk through everything.

As Pinkie calmed down, Rarity approached her friend.

"That's very noble of you, Rainbow Dash, and I'm very happy for you both, but darling, are you sure you aren't biting off a bit more than you can chew?"

"I thought about that, but every time I did, it didn't seem that important. She needs me, and I need her too."

It was a quiet response, but one so dignified that no pony could argue with it. Fluttershy got up and hugged her friend. This was by far one of the kindest acts she'd ever seen any pony do.

"You'll be a great mother." Fluttershy said in her usual soft manner. The relief the comment brought Rainbow Dash was unlike any she had ever felt.

"You really think so?" Rainbow said hopefully.

"I know so."

Rainbow was comforted by the faith her friends had in her. When she went to bed that night, she felt more reassured than she had in weeks. She fell asleep more easily with her secret off of her chest.

This, however did not tame the anxiety that still lay in her subconscious.

Rainbow Dash sat in the waiting room of the pediatrician's office. It was Scootaloo's first doctor's appointment, and she was more nervous than Scootaloo. A nurse came out from behind the door.

"Rainbow Dash?" She stood up.

"That's me."

"Follow me, please."

The nurse led her to Scootaloo's room and had her stand outside the door.

"The Doctor will be with you shortly."

"Okay. Thank You." She waited there a long time, long enough to feel her heart race and panic.

"Rainbow Dash?"

"That's me!"

"Miss Dash, My name is Doctor Black. I performed an examination on your daughter, and I wanted to ask you a few questions."

"Of course."

"Have her wings always been this size?"

"As far as I know, yes." The Doctor gave her an unreadable look.

"Has she flown successfully?"

"Unfortunately no."

"Miss Dash, as I understand it, you adopted your daughter and saved her from living in squalor. Do you know how many years she's lived in malnutrition?"

"For three years, minimum." The doctor removed his glasses.

"Miss Dash, I'm sorry to tell you that your daughter's wings aren't likely to grow anymore."

Rainbow Dash felt her heart plummet.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"I'm afraid not. If she had been brought in a few months earlier, perhaps something could have been done, but it is too late. I'm sorry."

"Thank you anyways." Rainbow said. The doctor nodded. Rainbow opened the door to see Scootaloo crying. Her instincts kicked into gear, and she wrapped herself protectively around her daughter. Scootaloo moved away from her.

"Why didn't you take me here earlier?"

"I-"

"Why?" Her sobbing was uncontrollable. Scootaloo ran away, and Rainbow didn't blame her. She immediately started criticizing herself.

It's all my fault.

I should have known better.

"ENOUGH!" Came a booming voice. She looked up to see Princess Luna flying toward her. She bowed.

"Hello, Rainbow Dash."

"Hello Princess Luna."

"I have come to understand that you have adopted Scootaloo and taken her in as your own."

"I have."

"Every parent fears failure, Rainbow Dash. You have nothing to be ashamed of. What constitutes failure is if your child does not know how much you care about them. You have shown Scootaloo that you care by adopting her. You have her best intentions at heart, and this she knows. You will make mistakes- that is the simple truth behind any endeavor. But if you do it with love, you have nothing to fear."

Rainbow Dash smiled. It was just what she needed to hear. The Princess used her magic to transport them back to Rainbow's cloud home. Once inside, Rainbow brewed the Princess a cup of tea, and they sat at her dining room table.

"I never pictured myself as a mother. I don't even have an example to look up to. If I had had Somepony to show me what it meant to be a mother, I probably wouldn't be as scared I am."

"I understand. It is far easier to imitate what you know than to be something you have never experienced. Perhaps you should watch another mother with her foal so that you may better understand your new role."

"Like who?"

"Like your mother."

The shock on her face was clear. "How?"

"I can show you who she was. You may not remember her, but time is something that in this case can be bent. Would you like to see?"

It was then that Tank flew by and was headed for collision with the kitchen cabinets. Rainbow grabbed the turtle, stopped his rotor, and sat him down on the floor. She took a deep breath, trying to think.

"Okay."

"Follow me, then."

They went upstairs. At the top of the landing there was a swirling portal. Rainbow psyched herself up inside enough to go through it, and was surprised when it led to the house she grew up in. She heard laughter and saw her mother tickling the foal version of herself as she tucked her into bed. She watched her mother sing a lullaby that she hadn't heard in years. As the foal version of herself slept, Rainbow paid careful attention to her mother's face. It was so tender and loving, just like she had remembered it. Just seeing that small interaction made her understand what she'd needed to learn.

"Thank you so much, Princess." She whispered.

"You are most welcome."

With that, Luna flew back to Canterlot as Rainbow bolted up in her bed.

With her excellent hearing, Rainbow could hear sobs coming from down the hall. Rainbow instantly threw her blanket off and ran to her daughter. She opened the door to see Scootaloo curled up on her bed, whimpering quietly to herself and shaking. Rainbow didn't give it a second thought and wrapped herself around her foal. She hushed her quietly as Scootaloo finally awoke. When she grasped her surroundings, she moved in to bury her face in her new Mother's coat and cried.

Scootaloo was very much aware that Rainbow Dash was uncomfortable with the idea of motherhood, so she had tried to avoid using the word "Mom" or any variation on that word as much as possible. But now, in her hour of need, she let it slide.

"Momma." Came the desperate whisper.

And with that one word, Rainbow's world was turned upside down. The love, pride, and protectiveness that burst open in her heart was too big to describe. Suddenly, she never wanted to be called anything else. She tightened her hold on the little Filly as a tear ran down her cheek.

"Momma's here, Scootaloo. Always."

As she cuddled into her Mother, Scootaloo put one hoof in her mouth and began to suck. Rainbow was not unaware of this, and briefly wondered why Scootaloo had retained this particular infant-like behavior. Then it occurred to her that it was likely a coping mechanism from when she lived in the streets. Developed at an early age, it had never been corrected because she had never been in anyone's care. Rainbow resolved to take some care of that the next morning.

Rainbow sang to Scootaloo until the filly had fallen asleep. Even after she had, Rainbow wasn't sure if she would be able to leave her. She decided to give in and spent the rest of her night protecting her daughter.

The next morning dawned with promise, and Rainbow followed their usual routine. She dropped Scootaloo off at school, and finished work early. When she did, she stopped at a most unusual place. Rainbow Dash headed into the store with one purpose in mind. She grabbed the one item she needed, and was quick to pay before bolting out of the store and back to her cloud home. Once there, she unwrapped the item and threw it into a pot of boiling water. When she felt it was done, she fished it out and set it on Scootaloo's nightstand. She finished her endeavor with just enough time to pick up the Filly from school.

Scootaloo hopped on Rainbow Dash's back as soon as she touched down. Waving goodbye to the other Crusaders, she held onto her mother as they took off and headed home. Scootaloo was happy to be back home, and trotted upstairs to her bedroom. She opened the door just long enough to toss her saddle bag in, and then went back downstairs to eat an after school snack. While she munched on an apple, Rainbow sat with her, thinking about the myriad of ways she could approach the subject that had been eating at her since last night. When she finally decided on how to approach the matter, she was quick to start.

"Hey Scoots, can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure, anything."

"Remember last night when you were scared?"

Scootaloo blushed. "Um... Yeah..."

"I noticed that you still suck on your hoof, and I want you to know that I'm not judging you for it. I want to help you with it if you'll let me."

Scootaloo nodded vigorously. "Okay!"

"Now, I hope you know that I don't expect you to quit all at once. I know it's going to be hard for you, but I'll be here if you need me. So, if you'll come with me, I have something I wanted to give you."

Scootaloo followed the older Pegasus pony upstairs, until they stopped at her own room. Rainbow Dash walked over to the night stand and picked up something that fit in her hoof. When Scootaloo went over to see what it was, she nearly fainted when she saw.

It was a pacifier.

"Now Scoots, before you say anything, I want you to know that I do not think of you as a baby. The reason I bought this for you is because even though getting down and dirty is fun, putting that in your mouth is nasty. I'd much rather know what's going into your mouth, and I'd like it to be clean."

Once Rainbow finished her speech, Scootaloo understood. She gave her mother an appreciative nuzzle.

"Thanks for caring about me." Rainbow looked down at her and smiled.

"I'm your Momma, kid. It's my job."

Scootaloo was moved beyond words, and gave Rainbow Dash a big hug.

"So, you're okay with me calling you that?"

"Mom, Momma, Mommy, whatever you want is perfectly fine with me."

"Really?" Asked Scootaloo excitedly.

"Honest."

With the encouragement of her Mother, Scootaloo vowed to try the pacifier tonight. After that bit of serious news, they horsed around until dinner. Soon enough after they finished eating, it was time for Scootaloo to go to bed. Yawning, Scootaloo went to the bathroom and brushed her teeth. Rainbow Dash was waiting for her in her room. Pulling back the covers, Rainbow let the filly climb into bed before tucking her in.

"Goodnight, peanut."

"Goodnight, Momma."

The word sent a flash of heat through her, and she smiled. Scootaloo stared at the pacifier that lay on the nightstand. Her embarrassment made her cheeks peaked, but she decided to try it. When she put it in her mouth it felt strange and foreign, but the sucking motion felt natural, and soon she was fast asleep. With a smile playing on her lips and pride filling her chest, she gently kissed her daughter's forehead before heading to bed herself.

The next morning started with a frantic knocking at the front door. Sleepy-eyed, Rainbow Dash opened the door to a frantic Fluttershy.

"Rainbow Dash, Discord's back!"

Rainbow's eyes became as big as saucers, and she was suddenly wide awake. She looked behind her friend to see Equestria in mass chaos.

"Come in." She said, quickly. Fluttershy sat on her couch while Rainbow ran upstairs. She opened Scootaloo's door and saw the young Pegasus was still asleep. She went back down to her friend.

"Where's everypony else?"

"They all gathered at Twilight's. She asked me to come get you."

"Fly back and tell Twilight I'll be there as soon as I can. I have to take care of something first."

"Okay." Fluttershy said, departing the house rather quickly.

Rainbow flew to Scootaloo's room and gently woke her.

"Scootaloo, you need to listen to me very carefully. Discord is on the loose, and I have to go and help stop him. I want you to stay here. Lock the doors and bolt the windows, and don't open the door for anypony. Do you understand me?" She said in a serious tone.

Scootaloo, still sleepy, but alert, nodded.

"I'll be back later." Rainbow promised.

"Please be careful." Scootaloo said quietly. Rainbow hugged Scootaloo and held her tightly.

"I promise."

With that, Rainbow flew to The Golden Oak Library.

Twilight Sparkle had gathered all of her friends in the library while chaos rocked Ponyville. She lifted the glass covering the elements of harmony and put on her crown. The others put on their necklaces, and Twilight did a head count. Five were there, one was not. Annoyed, Twilight muttered,

"Where in the wide wide world of Equestria is Rainbow Dash?"

Without missing a beat, A voice shouted "Here!"

Rainbow Dash burst through the roof. "Sorry I'm late." She said, grabbing her necklace. Twilight sighed in relief.

"Let's go."

Sitting on his throne, Discord watched the chaos around him with a smirk. It was good to be the master.

"Discord!" Twilight Sparkle called. The draconequus chuckled.

"Ah, hello there my little ponies! Come to join me in watching some chaos?"

"We're here to turn you back to Stone!" She countered.

"Oh, I don't think you'll be doing that..."

"And why not?"

"I have some things that belong to you..."

With a snap of his fingers, Spike, Angel, Gummy, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo appeared. The six ponies gasped in unison. The second Rainbow saw Scootaloo, her maternal instincts went into overdrive. She bowed her head. The need to protect her Daughter made adrenaline flow through her, the sudden rush making her ears pound. She could feel the others panic, but none was as great as her own. Slowly, she looked up with the most grave and deadly expression she could muster. She stepped forward.

"You have exactly five seconds to put them down." It was said with the most murderous of tones. The look in Rainbow's eyes was not one of justice and duty as would be expected. Her eyes were cold and vengeful. For a moment, even Discord looked startled. He quickly regained his composure.

"Or what?"

"Or you won't live to see tomorrow." Rainbow went up to him, completely stone faced. "Let me be clear- no pony, and I mean no pony kidnaps my Daughter and lives to tell the tale."

Discord looked extremely uncomfortable. He couldn't bring himself to look her in the eye.

"You're accusing me of kidnapping? How do you know she didn't leave on her own?"

"Because I told her to lock herself inside the house and to not answer the door for any pony." Her response was almost robotic in nature.

As Rainbow Dash moved closer, Discord's discomfort became more apparent. The other five ponies adapted similarly stony expressions as they advanced forward.

"I'm going to ask you nicely one more time: put them down."

Discord chucked nervously before putting them down. "Y-You didn't really think I'd do anything to them... Did you?"

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle ran straight for their sisters, and Spike ran for Twilight. Angel rushed to Fluttershy, uncharacteristically frightened, and Pinkie went to get Gummy. Rainbow was quick to whisper something in Twilight's ear just before Scootaloo was put down. The little filly ran to her mother and hugged her tightly. Rainbow returned the hug, teary eyed.

Just before he could poof away, Twilight did as Rainbow asked and performed a simple immobilization spell. Rainbow gave Scootaloo a tight hug before going over to Discord. She was serious about making sure he didn't see tomorrow, but decided beating him to a pulp would be enough for now.

Rainbow wasn't hesitant to begin her assault, but first made sure that her friends got the chance to let out their feelings on the spirit of disharmony. Rarity chose not to engage in physical violence, but gave a simple comment that was chilling with it's finality.

"Whatever you get at the hands of my friends is too good for you."

Fluttershy gave her stare to the incapacitated Discord. Twilight Sparkle continued her spell, a victory in it's own right. Applejack gave a crude but powerful buck to the head.

That left Rainbow, who was feeling more malicious than ever before. She kicked, punched, and let out all of her anger. When she was good and tired, and Discord was good and beaten, Rainbow said one final thing before turning her back on him.

"If you ever touch my daughter again, I will cut off your tail and feed it to my tortoise." With that, Rainbow gave a nod, and Twilight stopped the spell. Discord, bloodied and now officially terrified of Rainbow Dash, was quick to return everything to normal and leave as fast as he could.

Rainbow saw her friends reuniting with their loved ones and looked for Scootaloo. Said filly was waiting for her by the library. When She spotted her Mother, she galloped toward her. Rainbow met her halfway and enveloped her in a big bear hug. She could feel tears seeping into her coat.

"I missed you." Came the muffled remark.

"I missed you too, kiddo." She said, stroking her daughter's mane. The other crusaders came to check on their friend. Rainbow looked at her friends, all of whom gathered around her.

"Are you alright, sugar cube?" Applejack asked emphatically.

Rainbow nodded. "I'm fine. I'm finally learning what it means to be a mom, and beating Discord was a huge victory. I finally understand the maternal instinct. Never thought I'd say that... But this whole thing has taught me that I really can be a good mom... Just an unconventional one."

Her friends all shared smiles.

"We're mighty proud of you." Applejack stated. All of their friends nodded in assent.

"Thanks you guys." Said Rainbow Gratefully.

That night, after she had put Scootaloo to bed, Rainbow got out a quill and parchment out and began to write a letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Since becoming a Mom to Scootaloo, my whole life has been turned upside down. In the past week, I've learned that parenthood is a big responsibility, one you might not feel ready for. But when it really matters you always step up to the plate and give it your best shot. You don't have to be perfect to be a parent, you just have to show love and compassion to your child, and in their eyes that makes you the most phenomenal parent there is.

Your loyal subject,
Rainbow Dash

Author's Note:

I hope I gave you all a worthy sequel!