• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 2,023 Views, 30 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusaders: The Next Generation - Bluecatcinema



New team, same old search.

  • ...
5
 30
 2,023

Beauty Pageant Pandemonium

Following the incident in the kitchen, the new Cutie Mark Crusader had spent the next few weeks trying everything they could think of to get their Cutie Marks, from hedge trimming to window washing. Unfortunately, none of these attempts worked.

One sunny morning, a depressed Pound and Pumpkin were approached by the excited Cream Puff.

"Hey, guys!" She smiled brightly.

"What are you so happy about?" Pumpkin asked moodily.

"My mom signed me up for the Fabulous Filly Pageant!" Cream Puff cheered.

The Fabulous Filly Pageant was a beauty contest for young fillies, started five years ago by Diamond Tiara, the original Cutie Mark Crusaders' arch-nemesis, ostensibly as a way of raking in money.

"And that's a good thing?" Pound asked sarcastically.

"If it gets me my Cutie Mark, sure!" Cream Puff smiled. "You should sign up too, Pumpkin. It never hurts to try!"

"Maybe I will." Pumpkin mused. "Mom always says I'm the prettiest filly in town..."

"And where does leave me?" Pound asked. "'Cause I'm tellin' you right now, I am not wearing a dress."

"You could be our... coach!" Cream Puff said finally. "Every good beauty queen needs one!"

"Like I really want that kind of a Cutie Mark." Pound pouted.

"Come on, bro, for me?" Pumpkin used the puppy dog face Pinkie had taught her. "Please?"

Pound tried his hardest to resist, but it was no use.

"Ohhh, fine." He groaned.

"I knew I could count on you." Pumpkin hugged her brother.

"Yeah." Pound sighed. "What are brothers for?"

It didn't take much convincing for Mrs. Cake to sign Pumpkin up for the pageant. The next day, the three young ponies went to Carousel Boutique, seeking the aid of Rarity in providing dresses for the fillies. While Rarity went about her work on Cream Puff and Pumpkin, Pound was forced to wait outside.

Before long, Pumpkin emerged, clad in a cute hot pink dress, her mane bereft of it's usual bow, and flowing down her front.

"What do you think?" Pumpkin asked.

"You... don't look completely ridiculous in that dress." Pound admitted.

"Is that obnoxious brother talk for 'you look kinda nice'?" Pumpkin smirked.

"More or else." Pound shrugged.

Cream Puff came out next, wearing a beautiful white dress, her lavender mane styled into elegant ringlets.

"Well, how do I look?" She inquired.

"I, uhhh..." Pound mumbled, mesmerised. "You look... good. Really good."

"Thanks." Cream Puff blushed.

Pound blushed back, while Pumpkin stifled a snigger.

"Well, we, er, have to get going." The flustered Pound declared. "The Pageant'll be starting soon."

The three young ponies departed the store.

"Thanks, Rarity!" Pumpkin called out.

"Anytime, darlings!" Rarity called back.

The Crusaders arrived just in time for the start of the pageant. Pumpkin and Cream Puff took their place amongst the other contestants, while Pound watched from backstage.

"Well, look what we have here." Smiled a yellow filly with a strawberry blonde mane. "Haven't seen you here before."

"We're new." Pumpkin shrugged.

"I'm Shining Star." The filly smiled. "And I eat rookies like you for breakfast."

"Excuse me?" Cream Puff asked, affronted.

"I've won this pageant three years running." Shining Star sneered. "You go up against me, and it'll all end in tears."

"We'll just see about that." Pumpkin snarled.

The curtain rose, unveiling the contestants to the audience. As they walked down the runway, Shining Star did her best to trip Pumpkin and Cream Puff. She almost succeeded with Cream Puff, but Pumpkin was able to steady her.

"Why that little..." Pumpkin seethed.

"Forget about her." Cream Puff told her. "Let's just focus on the contest."

"Aren't they lovely, fillies and gentlecolts?" Declared the announcer, a pale green unicorn with a microphone cutie mark. "Next up, the talent contest!"

"Talent?" Pound facehoofed. "If we had any talents, we wouldn't be here!"

As it turned out, Pumpkin and Cream Puff handled the talent contest well. Pumpkin spun plates; Two on sticks held by her hooves, and another on the tip of her horn. Meanwhile, Cream Puff entertained the crowd with some ballet. After that came Shining Star, who sang a beautiful song. As the audience applauded her efforts, the prissy pony sneered at her competition.

As the Pageant wore on, Pumpkin and Cream Puff started to grow weary.

"This is what beauty pageants are all about?" Pumpkin sighed. "Just a bunch of gussied-up fillies standing around, looking pretty?"

"Seems so." Cream Puff. Sighed. "So much for glamor, huh?"

Before long, the time came for the contestants to recite speeches detailing why they were worthy of the crown.

"...And in closing, I'd just like to point out that I am the epitomy of a Fabulous Filly." Shining Star rambled on. "Beautiful, graceful, and fashionable."

The crowd applauded, while the judges murmured positively amongst themselves.

"Wonderful." The Announcer smiled. "Miss Pumpkin, you're next."

Pumpkin took her place on the stage.

"Well, everypony, I'd like to say how being pretty and wearing a nice dress is the way to get ahead, but it's not." Pumpkin declared. "Seriously, everypony. We shouldn't be focusing on what's on the outside!"

"Pumpkin's right!" Cream Puff cheered. "It's what's on the inside that counts! You shouldn't judge somepony as lesser than you just because they don't look as good!"

"Miss Cream Puff, please!" The Announcer protested. "Wait your turn!"

"If you ask me, a really Fabulous Filly is beautiful on the inside!" Pumpkin boomed.

"You tell 'em, sis!" Pound cheered from offstage.

"Now really, that's enough!"The Announcer declared. Receiving a signal from the judges, he told the crowd "The judges shall now deliberate. Bear with us, folks!"

When the curtain came down, Shining Star sneered at Pumpkin and Cream Puff.

"Ooh, you're gonna get it now." She smirked. "They're probably gonna disqualify you both!"

Before long, the curtain rose, and the contestants stepped forward.

"We have come to a decision." Declared the head judge, a blue unicorn with an orange mane. "We have... a draw!"

"A draw?" The Announcer repeated.

"Yes." Nodded another judge, a green earth pony with a tangerine mane. "Between miss Pumpkin Pie and miss Cream Puff!"

"What?" Pumpkin and Cream Puff gasped.

"What?!" Shining Star screeched.

"These two young fillies have reminded us of what it really means to be a Fabulous Filly." The third judge, a brown pegasus with a wavy yellow mane declared. "Compassion, caring for others. By that standard, they are the most Fabulous Fillies here!"

The crowd cheered. Pumpkin was crowned with the ceremonial tiara, while Cream Puff was handed the celebratory bouquet.

"No!" Shining Star bawled. "It's not fair! I should have won! Me!"

"Looks like she was right after all." Pound smirked. "It did all end in tears."

After the celebrations died down, Pumpkin and Cream Puff met Pound backstage.

"Way to go, guys!" Pound cheered.

"And now for the moment of truth." Pumpkin declared.

She and Cream Puff lifted up their skirts to reveal... two completely blank flanks.

"Aw, geez!" Pumpkin groaned. "All that work for nothing!"

"Buck up, sis." Pound consoled her. "It was worth a shot."

"Besides, each failure only brings us closer to our real special talents!" Cream Puff smiled. "So what say we get out of these frilly things and get back to searching?"

"Sounds good to me!" Pumpkin smiled.

"Me, too!" Pound agreed.

The Crusaders departed the backstage, their dead end search having only strengthened their resolve.