• Published 10th Apr 2012
  • 504 Views, 7 Comments

Solarstar and Twilight - MoonChill



Solarstar, a unicorn that helped Princess Celestia and Luna get magic, meets Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
6
 7
 504

Chapter 1

Twilight Sparkle paced her library looking for new magic books that she could read. After searching shelf after shelf, she threw down her current books she was carrying. She grumbled and called for Spike.

"Spike? Spike!" she yelled. Spike lazily walked down the stairs. Rubbing his eyes he dazedly dropped down step after step.
"What Twilight?" he looked at the clock that was hanging on the wall, " and seriously? What could you want, it's three in the morning!?" he said and Twilight was still pacing the floor. Clopping was heard through the walls of the library. Apple Jack was passing by the library when she heard the repeated clopping of Twilight.

"What in tarnation is Twilight doing up at this hour?" Apple Jack bursts through the door, leaving an empty apple cart outside. Twilight whips around to see the muddy looking Apple Jack trot towards her.

"I would ask you the same question Apple Jack." said Twilight. Apple Jack smiled and put one hoof over the other.

"Had a late, er, early mornin apple delivery to Mayor Mare. Ponies say she always has this craving for apples that nopony could ever imagine. Spike sat down on the last step and muttered to himself, "I think you both are crazy. Some dragons are trying to sleep!"
Twilight overheard Spike.

"Oh Spike, where's your sense of an early start?" she asked with a smile. He huffed, "I left that in my bed. When I was rudely awakened by Twilight's pacing!" he argued and Twilight rolled her eyes. Apple Jack trotted closer to Twilight.

"Ok so what ARE you doing anyway? And why are you and all your pacing keeping poor restless Spike up?" she asked and then stared Twilight down. Twilight gave a sound of disgust. "Uuhhhhggg! I've run out of magical books to read! I've gone through every book in this library and I haven't found one that I haven't already read four times!" she said. "And plus, I usually do all of my magical experiments during the night while everypony is asleep." Apple Jack raised an eyebrow.

"Well why don't y'all just trot on over to the libr... Oh yeah. This is the library." Twilight raised an eyebrow. Spike yawned and continued his argument.

"Twilight, I think it would benefit everypony if you just give it up for tonight. Maybe we'll ask around tomorrow. Or send a letter asking Princess Celestia." Twilight shot up from her irritated self and smiled widely. Apple Jack nudged Spike.

"I don't like the looks of this, Spike. Looks kinda suspicious." Spike gave an approving nod. Twilight ran towards Spike and Apple Jack.

"Spike, take a letter." she cleared her throat and Spike got out a piece of paper and a quill.

"Wait, Twilight, don't you think that Princess Celestia, you know, might be sleeping now? I mean it is three in the morning you know right?" said Spike, but Twilight shook her head.

"No Spike, I need you to send this immediately." she said almost talking to herself. "This is a dyer need and I am about to die! No new magic means I will have to replay my schedule! That would throw off my entire year again! I plan for three hours a night of magical study and I can't study without any magic books that I haven't read cover to cover!" she explained. Apple Jack blinked widely.

"So what you're sayin is that you spend three hours a night devoted to studyin all your magic and magic books and such?" asked Apple Jack. The response from Twilight was a brash nod of the head.

"Eeyup." said Twilight and turned sharply to Spike. "Ready Spike?" she asked and Spike gulped.

"What about Obscure Unicorn History?" asked Spike.
"Read it five times." replied Twilight.
"Uh, The Elements?"
"Twice." Spike was now getting a little bummed.
"Derpy's Journey?"
"Three times, wait what?"
"Nothing! Ok uh, how about The Magical Legends of Solarstar?" asked Spike ready with quill in hand. Twilight started pacing again but stopped.
"Did you say The Magical Legends of Solarstar?" asked a surprised Twilight. Spike put the quill down.

"Yeah, why?"
"Because I thought I was the only pony who has heard about Solarstar. She was a mythical but magic mare who lived in the faraway castle with Princess Celestia. Legend has it that Solarstar gave Princess Luna an immortal potion that will keep a pony living forever and never aging. Soon Princess Celestia found out about it and forced Solarstar to give her the same life span of Luna." Apple Jack raised one hoof to stop Twilight.

"Are you sayin that our beloved Princess Celestia forced some little pony into giving her immortality? I feel bad for Solarstar but why in the world would Princess Celestia do such an evil thing?" she asked and Twilight had an answer.

"It was once said that Solarstar had once posed a threat to the kingdom because she was so powerful that one spell from her horn could effect everypony alive! Princess Celestia had to take some of her power away before things got out of hand and one night, Princess took half of the magic by a spell that Solarstar herself created. It was a terrible thing, but Princess Celestia said that she had to do it for the safety of all. As Solarstar was weakened, she summoned Luna to her side, asking for her to take the other half of her power. Princess Luna unwillingly took it and then..." Twilight trailed off.

Apple Jack and Spike had gotten increasingly closer to Twilight as they soaked up every last word that came form her mouth. "And then what happened Twilight?" asked Spike impatiently who was now off of his step walking closer and closer in anticipation. Twilight sat down.

"Huh, the funny thing is, I don't remember. Now where did I put that book? Maybe I can read it to you!" Spike shook his head.

"What? No! Do you remember where the book said that she was staying?" asked Spike. Twilight thoughtfully looked at him and then scratched her head.

"That's funny, I remember that part! I believe it was in Princess Luna's castle." Spike gasped with Apple Jack. "Hey, maybe we could meet her!" said Twilight cheerily. Spike lost his balance in terror and fell flat on his face. He got up and gave Twilight a crazed look.

"Twilight are you crazy!? You can't go there! It's all dark and creepy." Spike stuck out his tongue. "Blech, what about all of those creepy crawly things that lurk around in the dark? They could be poisonous, or worse... Pony eaters." he said now clutching Apple Jack's leg. Apple Jack shoved Spike off.

"Well Twilight, I have to agree with Spike, this journey seems a little far fetched and even Big Macintosh would agree that this is a bad idea."

"What does Big Macin..." Twilight was cut off by the insistent Apple Jack.
"Well all I'm sayin is that you may wanna think twice before you count your apples before they've been harvested. What I'm sayin is that I think you should think twice before you go puttin yourself into some dangerous situation." said Apple Jack. "I gotta get going, I need to take a second load of apples to Sugar Cube corner before dawn." said Apple Jack closing the door behind her. Twilight blinked and then looked at Spike who had "I told you so" written all over his face. She pushed Spike aside and went for the window.

Both of them looked out the window and saw the beautiful moon. The imprint of Luna's head was still there and looking more stunning than ever. "I don't know Spike, Solarstar is pretty important and I'm sure that she would be glad to see a student of the Princess. Plus, I have no idea how the book ends! I don't think I even have it anymore."

Spike jumped off the window sill and started walking back up the stairs. He glanced back. "Well I don't know how she would handle a student of the Princess who wronged her." he said frankly and then went up the stairs hopping into bed. Twilight then watched the moon again. "Oh Spike, maybe you're right." she gave a little sigh and then dropped back down on all four hooves. She started walking towards the stairs but her back hoof caught on one of the books and fell on her face.
"Woah!" she cried and then saw the book she had tripped over was The Magical Legends of Solarstar. Twilight stood up dumbfounded at how she had just so happened to trip over this one.

"Well this is quite interesting, now let's see how the story goes on shall we?"