• Published 25th Jul 2014
  • 844 Views, 4 Comments

Chaos and Corruption, Sun and Moon - LunaToTheMoon



What could have caused the royal sisters of Equestria to turn against each other 1,000 years ago when all they had was each other? Let's just say this: chaos and corruption can be masked easily by affection and understanding....

  • ...
5
 4
 844

4 Confiding in the Enemy

Luna landed at Sombra's castle and barged through the door, not caring to take time to talk to any of the Crystal Ponies first. She just wanted to confide in him. Maybe the Prince of the Crystal Empire, the empire of love, would understand Luna's issues with feeling unloved.

The guards let Luna in upon seeing her, announcing her entrance. Luna walked up to the throne, where Sombra sat, regally as always.

"Hello, my dear!" He said in his gruff, but ever-so-sweet voice. It was like a welcoming song to Luna's ears.

"Sombra, can I speak to you in private?" Luna asked, walking up to the throne and whispering quietly into his ear.

"Well, yes, is there a problem?" He showed genuine concern.

"No....well.....yes, but not with you or anything. I just need to discuss some....royal matters," Luna struggled over her words. She didn't want it to get out that her and Celestia were fighting. Equestria was a land of harmony. If the rulers of the harmonious land were fighting and the ponies were to find out, there was no telling what would happen.

"Yes, that's fine. We can talk in my private suite," Sombra said, motioning toward one of the large crystal palace doors.

Luna began to walk toward them. "Your highness," One of the guards asked Sombra, as he stepped off of his thrown and followed the Equestrian princess.

"Yes?" Sombra asked, turning to him.

"Do you want one of the guards to stand outside the door?" The guard suggested faithfully.

"No, I'm sure we'll be fine. Thank you." Sombra dismissed him.

Once Luna and Sombra were in the suite and the door had shut behind them, Luna began to confide in the stallion. "Celestia....hasn't been the same. We seem to be having....issues with one another."

"Issues?" Sombra asked. "How so?"

"Well....she's....confrontational. It's like she doesn't want me to make my own decisions....like she doesn't trust me," Luna's voice got softer as she confided her thoughts.

Sombra sighed. "It's hard, isn't it?"

"What?" Luna tilted her head to the side, surprised that Sombra understood so well.

"It's hard to try to work with someone who you know is so unlike you. My brother and I were the same way. Everyone understood him. It made sense to them, what he was, because he was amazing, and he could shine brighter than the sun...and then there was me. Just a shadow. The younger one who was there, but who nopony understood." Sombra hung his head sadly.

"So what do I do about it?" Luna asked. "No matter how hard I try, she just doesn't understand. It's not about understanding my night; it's just about not understanding me. I so desperately want her to understand," Luna sobbed into a pillow on one of Sombra's plush chairs for a while, and then wondered if what she was about to say next was appropriate. Sombra was already aware that her and Celestia had trouble getting along, but he wasn't aware of what she was about to admit to him. "And....she says you are a bad influence." She decided to add softly after a while.

"Oh...." Sombra replied gravely. He thought about it for a time before beginning to speak again. "It's not true what they say. You do know that, right, Princes?"

"I know, Sombra. You're such a good prince. I don't know why she doesn't trust you." Luna placed a hoof on his shoulder.

"Well, it's not just that. Maybe I am a bit of a tyrant, but it takes one to know one. She's a bit of a tyrant herself, but she chooses not to admit it. Look at her, Luna. She just sits there on her throne, the ruler of a harmonious empire, and she refuses to have harmony with anyone or anything other than her own country. There are other countries around her. How can she even think she represents harmony when she can't even be diplomatic to them?! If only I were a ruler of Equestria. Then, things would be different," Sombra growled softly and his eyes lit up.

"How would they be different? What would you change?" Luna asked.

"I would change her little empire into one of great power, but there's only one way to do it." A haze of purple smoke began to emerge from Sombra's eyes.

Luna shivered as she helplessly watched what happened next.

* * *

Celestia trotted heavily through the hallways of the Canterlot castle. "Discord!" She called. "Discord, where are you?" She yelled out.

"You called, my love?" Discord prompted, appearing out of nowhere like he always did. Celestia had given up on asking where he hid when she didn't need him.

"Where's Luna? Have you seen her?" Celestia continued to trot.

"I'm afraid the answer to that is no," Discord admitted.

"Ugh! She's in the Crystal Empire again, isn't she?" Celestia growled.

"Well....probably. She's been there a lot lately. That's not an issue though, is it?" Discord asked.

"Yes! It is an issue! I told her not to go there, but of course she doesn't listen to me. You know, as princess of Equestria, I deserve a little bit more respect! She has duties as a princess as well! She can't just go off and flaunt with some stallion who she doesn't know!" Celestia yelled a little louder than she meant to, turning the heads of some of the palace guard.

"Oh, I guess that is an issue. How dare she." Discord stroked his beard and agreed, knowing it would please his pony princess. "What is it she had to do anyway?"

"Meet with the captain of the royal guard. He has some very important questions about whether or not to send a few more guards to Fillydelphia. It seems some of the ponies over there are getting into little tiffs here and there." Celestia paused. "I would do it myself, but I have a meeting with the delegates from Saddle Arabia. You know, I have to do everything myself. If she wants more ponies to respect her as a princess, maybe she should think about doing her duties for a change!"

"Wow. Meeting with the royal guards. How riveting!" Discord thought to himself sarcastically, but instead he chose to, once again, agree with Celestia. "How dare she miss such a thing!"

"Thank you for agreeing, Discord." Celestia stopped at the door to one of the palace meeting rooms and kissed the draconequus on the cheek. "Maybe you should be made a princess of Equestria. You would be a better ruler than she is."

Discord smiled. "Oh, I'm honored!" He said in an over-enthusiastic way. When she had left, an evil grin passed over his face as he thought to himself "The harmony is breaking. It's only a matter of time now.