• Published 25th Jul 2014
  • 819 Views, 4 Comments

Chaos and Corruption, Sun and Moon - LunaToTheMoon



What could have caused the royal sisters of Equestria to turn against each other 1,000 years ago when all they had was each other? Let's just say this: chaos and corruption can be masked easily by affection and understanding....

  • ...
5
 4
 819

1 Luna's Love Note

Luna stared out her window, watching her sister in the gardens below. Celestia was with her newly acquired (and first) boyfriend, Discord. Celestia's cheeks were as pink as her mane. The dialogue being exchanged was inaudible to Luna.

"Oh, Celestia, my dear! You look absolutely spectacular in the light of your beautiful day. Your mane is such a pretty shade of pink! It reminds me of cotton candy, and you know how much I love cotton candy."

"Why, Discord," Celestia giggled. "You must be the nicest draconequus I have ever met, and so hansome too!"

"Just the nicest draconequus?" Discord asked, pretending to be sad.

"The nicest pony, creature of chaos....creature I have ever met," Celestia corrected herself. "I just think it's so sweet you gave up your instinct to be a creature of chaos so that you could be with me."

Luna watched them for a while, until she got tired of their continuous nose rubbing and hugs. Each time it made her gag a little.

"I can't believe that Celestia is such a little pawn to Discord. I know he has always been a friend, but, ever since a month ago when he asked her out, she has just been unbearable," Luna thought to herself.

Tired of watching, Luna opened her diary (which nopony had ever seen), and began to write an entry, like she always did to keep herself entertained.

Dear Diary,

Once again, I find myself watching Tia spend all of her time with Discord. I don't know if I should be sad or angry; after all, my sister and my best friend (the only friends I have in my life) are now ignoring me and just spending time together. I miss when we were all friends. In some ways, I feel like such a fool, helping Discord win Celestia over the way I did. I know the thoughts I write are cruel, as it makes both of them happier to be together. Love is about sacrifice for the ponies you care about, isn't it?

This all really comes back to me being lonely, I guess. After all, if they weren't my only friends it probably wouldn't matter. I'm the princess of Equestria, yet nopony loves, respects, likes, or even appreciates me. Instead, they just fear me. Because the night is dark, they think my heart and soul are dark as well, dark as the sky without the moon or stars, but, that's just it. I raise the moon and stas, so the night can be beautiful. Aren't I removing all the fear? Not that this question hasn't been asked before....

Enough about that, it seems my night is all I ever write about anymore, but, then again, it's all I have. Watching Tia and Discord has made me wonder if...just maybe...if I'll ever find love. I don't want anything in particular; he wouldn't have to be handsome or royal, I just want somepony to love me for me. Maybe that'll happen someday, or....maybe it's just impossible... Maybe love doesn't exist like I dream it does. Maybe nopony will ever want just me and nothing else in their lives or....maybe it's my fault in some way

Luna put down her quill for a second and sighed as a wet tear dripped down onto the diary, smearing the ink. This wasn't unusual; most of her entries made her cry because they were all sad to her. Her greatest fear was being rejected and facing the world alone, and, now, it seemed like both of those were coming true. It seemed that she was facing her own nightmare that no one could free her from. She took a deep breath, trying to stop herself from gasping out her sobs, and picked up the quill again.

Why can't life go back to when I was a filly? I wasn't desperate to find anypony else because I had Tia, and that was all that mattered.

What really saddens me is that my imagination used to help me escape the fear that surrounded me. Even when I was scared (of silly things, not anything serious like what I'm experiencing now) I could close my eyes and imagine I was flying, safe and comfortable. Up above the clouds I would soar, my coat glowing in the silver light cast by the moon. Maybe one day I will feel that dream again....

I suppose I should stop writing for now, as admitting to all of these thoughts only makes me want to cry more. I can't tell if this diary is helping me, or just hurting me more. I suppose it is nice to tell someone, since I can't tell anyone who will actually listen. I hope to record these thoughts and go back to read this one day when things are better.

I guess that's all for now.

Love Sincerely,

Princess Luna

Luna sighed once more and used her magic to move the diary back to where she kept it: inside of a little lockable box painted with the moon and stars on it. She took one more look out the window to see Celestia and Discord lying next to each other, watching the clouds, and then pulled open the doors to her bedroom terrace. It was time for the sun to set and for the night to begin.

"Tia," She called down to her sister from the terrace, but the white pony didn't notice. She was too busy giggling about something; Luna didn't care what it was. "It's time for the sun to set!"

Still, Celestia didn't hear, so Luna decided to just do it herself. Using her magic, she slipped the sun down behind the hills to the West, and then raised up the gorgeous full moon and stars. "Celestia, Discord, if you want romance, I'll give you romance. The sun may like to get things done, but the moon is a sucker for romance," Luna whispered softly, mostly to herself.

Celestia didn't call up to her sister, still too absorbed, but she did notice the change in lighting. "Brrr," She shivered. "It's cold tonight."

"Perhaps we should go inside, my dear?" Discord offered.

Celestia nodded.

From above, Luna watched the couple escape back into the castle. "Figures," She muttered, before sulking back into her room.

The good news was, now she at least had something to do. Night time was her time to work. Usually, she helped ponies in their dreams, but she wasn't sensing any nightmares right now. "Even if I do try to help them, they are still afraid of me. They would think I was part of their nightmare and run away," She thought the truth to herself sadly.

She was about to go down for a cup of tea when there was a knock at her door. "Yes, come in!" She called. She held her breath, hoping it was Celestia coming up to apologize. Unfortunately, it was just a mailmare.

"This came for you," The pegasus said. She looked exhausted, like she had just flown it to the castle.

"Why didn't you just leave it in my mail box? I would have checked it tonight, you know?" Luna asked her.

"Yes, I know, but the pony who sent this here really wanted you to get it. He said that it was urgent, and he had me rush it here right away."

"Oh," Luna said, surprised, taking the letter. "Thank you!"

The pegasus smiled and flew away.

Luna looked at the letter's return address, It read:

Prince Sombra

Crystal Castle

The Crystal Empire

"A prince, how peculiar! Usually all royal matters go directly to my sister," Luna thought to herself. Still, she opened up the letter and read:

Dear Princess Luna,

I am Prince Sombra of the Crystal Empire. I'm not sure how much you know about my empire, but it is way up in the rugged and cold North. However, we do not feel the cold because there is a huge abundance of love all throughout the empire. Not only does it keep the empire warm, it also gives everpony who lives there coats like shining crystal.

Now, you may be wondering why I'm writing to you, and I hope you don't think I'm being too blunt when I say this. Ever since I was a colt, and even now, I look up at the night sky and marvel at its beauty and the complexity of all of its delicate decorations. Night is a time for joy and peace. The animals understand that, and that's why many of them are nocturnal. Ponies are just fools.

When I used to stare at the night sky, I would ask ponies, "Where does the night come from?"

They would answer me, "Princess Luna raises the moon and stars."

"She must be amazing," I would respond with a twinkle in my eyes.

Luna stopped reading for a second and blushed from all the praise this letter and mysterious prince was offering her. Then, she continued reading.

"Her magic is," The would tell me. "Be careful though; there's something just not right about her. She's dangerous, and so is the night. Stay away from them both if you want to be safe."

Luna went back to frowning again, as she usually did, but continued reading the letter, captivated by what the pony was trying to say.

So now, Princess Luna, I want to meet you for myself. Surely if the night is so sweet, the pony who creates it is sweet as well. Please, anytime, if you feel so inclined, come and visit my empire and me. I would be the happiest stallion in the world if I could meet my hero.

I suppose that's all I have to say.

Love,

Prince Sombra of the Crystal Empire

Luna put down the letter and allowed herself to comfortably flop onto her bed. She let out a little squeal of excitement and kicked the air.

"Is this....a love letter?" She wondered to herself. "Are my questions, my dreams, perhaps all being answered by this sweet stallion. He seems so sincere; what a letter! He adores the night and seems to love (or at least like) me too! He even signed his letter with 'love' even though I've never met him before. This is amazing!"

She squealed again, closed her eyes, and sighed. She sighed often, but this was a happy sigh. In fact, she was crying too, but her tears were tears of joy. Somepony out there still understood her!

"When should I go see him?" She wondered to herself. "I want to go tonight, but that might not be just right. Plus, by the time I get there, it would be daybreak, and this definitely has to take place at night. I know! I'll leave tomorrow in the early evening and raise the moon from his empire. I think he would like that, and so would I!"

Luna didn't do much more that night, but, whatever it was, she was always happy and skipping around as she did it. She had missed her filly-like personality, but now, this one mysterious stallion, had helped bring it back to her.