• ...
5
 122
 4,732

Chapter 3

After the consumption of several donuts, the three young ponies and the Marine exited the shop. The sun was still high in the sky.

“Ah think Sugarcube Corner makes better treats,” said Apple Bloom, “but they don’t have as many kinds for sale at one time.”

“It was still really good,” said Scootaloo.

“If Sugarcube Corner is as good as you say, I might have to visit Ponyville again soon,” commented the Marine. “I’ve got some leave coming up.”

The four of them paused outside on the sidewalk. They hadn’t made plans past this point.

“It was really nice to meet you, Beth,” said Sweetie Belle.

The woman nodded. “You too. It was fun.”

“We should probably be gettin’ back now,” said Apple Bloom.

“I’ll see you three later, then.” Beth turned to go, and found herself walking beside the fillies.

“This is that awkward moment when you say goodbye but keep going in the same direction, isn’t it?” asked Scootaloo.

All of them laughed. “I suppose so,” answered Beth. “Where are you going?”

Sweetie Belle remembered the name of the apartment complex and told her.

“Talk about coincidences. That’s near where I live.” Beth frowned. “Wait, you’re staying with Applejack, right?”

Apple Bloom again noticed her reaction to AJ’s name.

“That’s right,” said Sweetie Belle. “She’s at work right now.”

The woman appeared to relax a little. “Well, I guess I might as well walk back with you. We can keep talking about sweets, if you want.”

“Sure!” said Scootaloo, smiling.

There seemed to be a little more traffic on the road than before, but the Marine was used to it, and her relaxed attitude gave the ponies confidence.

As they walked, their conversation didn’t stick to one subject. The Crusaders were still unfamiliar with Earth, and had lots of questions to ask.

A truck from the Carolina Bottling Company drove by, and Beth debated the fillies on the topic of national soda companies versus local brands.

Apple Bloom asked about all the NASCAR stickers she kept seeing on cars, and the woman explained the subject of auto racing.

Scootaloo kept trying to shift the discussion back to donuts, and succeeded a few times.

When they reached the gate of the apartment complex where Applejack lived, Beth paused, preparing to say goodbye.

“Why don’t you come in?” suggested Apple Bloom. “You know my sister, and we could sure use some help cookin’ up this food.”

“We can have a little party!” added Sweetie Belle.

“Well, I guess I could. Just for a little while.” Being invited to an informal party by three fillies was clearly not what Beth had been expecting when she got up that morning. She followed them up the walk and into the building.

It soon became obvious that the Crusaders’ cooking skills had not improved much since their last attempt at getting food-related cutie marks. They reached the decision to promote Beth to head chef.

“I hope you realize that I can barely boil water,” she said, laughing.

“That’s still better than the last time we tried,” said Apple Bloom. She looked at Sweetie Belle. “How did you even get concrete out of gelatin, anyway?”

“It wasn’t concrete! It was just really hard!” retorted the other filly. “And anyway, who baked bread so crispy that it warped the knife?”

“Calm down, you two,” said Scootaloo, pushing her way in between the other two Crusaders.

“Who put the milk in before the cereal…” said Apple Bloom.

“…and then somehow caught it on fire?” finished Sweetie Belle.

“Um, whoops,” chuckled Scootaloo nervously.

“Wow, maybe I am the best qualified,” said Beth.

A little while later, and with no serious mishaps, the food was coming off the stovetop in great quantity. While there was no meat, Beth had managed to create several dishes that she was happy with. The spice rack in the apartment was not well stocked, but enough flavors were available to satisfy any tongue.

While the ponies were not familiar with “Mexican” and “Asian” types of seasoning, they were willing to try almost anything.

They hadn’t started eating yet, and were only proceeding with initial taste-testing when the front door lock clicked open and Applejack walked in.

“Hi sis,” said Apple Bloom, trotting forward.

Applejack stopped short at the sight of the person in her kitchen. Beth looked up and froze. For a moment, the two of them stared at each other.

“Beth Pickens,” said Applejack, looking surprised.

“Uh, hello.” The woman looked nervous.

The three Crusaders glanced back and forth between the two of them. Something was happening, and they didn’t want to miss a minute of it.

“Can Ah talk to you outside?” asked Applejack.

The Marine nodded and dried her hands on a towel before following the pony out the door. The door clicked shut behind them.

“What was that all about?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“If AJ wanted us to know, she wouldn’t have left,” observed Apple Bloom.

“I guess we’ll just wait, then,” said Scootaloo.

Several minutes passed.

“This is boring!” cried Sweetie Belle. “I know it’s polite to wait on guests, but we’ve got all this food ready to go!”

“Well, it’s still afternoon,” said Apple Bloom. “Maybe we should have waited a little while before we started cooking.”

“Hey, maybe if Applejack and Beth are going to be very long, we can go back to the donut shop and pick up something for desert!” said Scootaloo.

Several more minutes passed.

“Yeah, let’s go get donuts,” said Apple Bloom.

“Right,” agreed Sweetie Belle.

The fillies transferred the food into the refrigerator and left a note on the kitchen counter about their whereabouts. They discovered that Applejack and Beth were not outside the apartment door, so maybe they’d taken a walk.

“This is going to be a great dinner!” said Sweetie Belle. “I hope Beth can stay.”

“Ah still kind of wonder what Applejack wanted to talk to her about,” said Apple Bloom. “And why it’s takin’ so long.”

“Less talking, more donuts,” advised Scootaloo.