• Published 9th Nov 2011
  • 4,396 Views, 117 Comments

The Wild Goose Chase - Theevina



Princess Celestia has a strange new mission for Twilight.

  • ...
4
 117
 4,396

12 - Surprise

The morning sunlight awakened Twilight in Discord's arms. Even though they had been outside the entire time, the magic of friendship had kept her warm.

"Ah, good morning, sleepyhead." he said. "Are you ready to go home?"

As much as she was having a good time, she couldn't lie to herself. She was tired and hungry and really needed to clean up. And she couldn't leave her other friends and Spike alone forever. "Yeah, sure."

"What does it take for you to teleport?"

"I have to have been there before so I can visualize its location in my mind."

"So can you teleport both of us right now... to Canterlot Castle?"

"Uh... yes."

"Great, so let's go!"

Discord held on to the goose with one hand and onto Twilight with the other. "I'm ready."

Twilight concentrated on Canterlot and in a moment there was a burst of magic and when she opened her eyes they were standing in front of the Celestia's throne.

"Well that certainly took you long enough..." she said, sipping a cup of tea.

"It was hard," Twilight said, "but we finally got the goose."

Celestia looked surprised. "Oh, really? Well... wow. Good job."

"What's wrong?" Discord asked. "Didn't you say you wanted it?"

"Well, I sort of expected you to give up and come home. I sent you a message to come home but I don't think you received it. I didn't believe you would actually find it. That's... amazing."

"Then why did you send us to find it?" Twilight asked.

"Because it was..."

Princess Luna interrupted by bursting out of a doorway in tears. "It was so sad. He didn't want to go, but he had to." Then she realized that Twilight and Discord were there and quickly regained composure. "Oh, um, we have come to join the discussion."

"Anyway," Celestia continued. "I was about to say..."

Twilight's friends and Spike rushed in through the front door. "Hey, Twilight!" they said in unison.

Celestia looked nervous. "Don't you see we are not ready yet?"

They looked at the princess and then sheepishly backed out the door.

"Princess, what is going on?" the unicorn asked.

"Oh, well, I feel bad for missing your birthday party a few months ago and so I figured there were many ponies that have never really gotten a chance to meet you or thank you for saving them time and time again so..." she paused for dramatic effect. "We threw you a party!"

"SURPRISE!" shouted thousands of voices. The room was suddenly full of ponies from all over Equestria. Confetti rained down over the entire room and streamers were lined all along the walls. A large banner with Twilight's name and face on it hung from the ceiling.

"But... how did you do it?"

"Well, it took several days of preparation," Celestia said, "even with the help of your friend Pinkie Pie. So we needed to have you out of the way for a while. That's why we sent you on a wild goose chase."

"So... it was all for nothing?" Twilight looked crestfallen.

"We think not." Luna protested. She approached Twilight and lovingly took the goose. "We have always been more attached to this thing than they."

Twilight was now approached by her other friends. They glowered at Discord until he became uncomfortable and walked away. He left the castle as ponies booed. Twilight wished everypony could treat him a little better, and she wondered how she was going to be able to explain their new friendship to them.

"Hey, Twilight, are you having fun?" Pinkie asked, unable to control her excitement.

"Oh, yeah, it's nice..." she muttered.

"Well I hope you have fun, sugarcube," Applejack said, "because we have a lot of stuff to get you caught up on."

"Like uh, in the Everfree Forest..." Fluttershy began quietly.

"In the Everfree Forest, there's a problem that Zecora is having trouble with!" Rainbow Dash shouted, "And..."

"Rainbow!" Applejack cried, "Why didn't you let Fluttershy speak?"

"Twilight, dear, when was the last time you've showered?" Rarity asked, completing ignoring the others arguing. "You look absolutely dreadful!"

Twilight then turned her attention to Spike. He didn't say a single word to her. He just smiled because he was happy to have her back home.

Then she suddenly remembered how hungry she was. She walked over to a food table to find something to eat, while trying to push away the drowsiness and ignore the crowds of ponies wanting to talk to her.

She really wanted to find Discord and spend some more time with him, but she was patient. For now, she socialized with the other ponies. She heard all the newest stories from Cheerilee's class, the Cutie Mark Crusader's ideas of things to do to get their cutie marks, all the parties that Rarity's friends in Canterlot were inviting her to, and the dilemma in the Everfree Forest that she was eventually going to have to fix with her friends.

The party died down by the end of the day, and although she was extremely tired, she did admit that she had had some fun.

As she had expected, Twilight found Discord standing outside the castle by himself. A she approached him, she noticed he didn't look very happy. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know."

"Why don't you come inside?"

Discord followed Twilight inside. The whole place was messy from the party and only Celestia was left.

"There's something that isn't right." he said softly.

"How bad is it?"

"I don't know... but I'm about to find out." he walked up to Celestia and bowed before her.

"Yes?" the princess asked.

"I apologize for taking your time, but I was wondering when you were going to keep your side of the deal."

The princess didn't respond. She just stared at him.

"The goose. You said if we found it and I protected Twilight, you would give me my own portion of Equestria to rule."

Celestia hesitated to answer. She wore an impenetrable poker face. Twilight suspected she knew what was going to happen and it scared her.

"Oh..." the princess finally spoke, with anger in her eyes. "I do remember that conversation."

"So will you honor your promise?" he pleaded.

"I would let you have it if there wasn't a certain little problem..." the princess said.

Discord looked puzzled. "What?"

"You and I both know that wouldn't be allowed to happen." Her horn glowed and discord was surrounded with light.

"NO!" he screamed.

The room was filled with bright white light. Twilight was petrified with horror. She silently screamed in her head. A great day had suddenly become the worst day of her life.

When she dared to open her eyes again, Discord was a stone statue on the floor with a look of fear etched into his face. She leaped to him and held his stony form with tears of anguish streaming from her eyes.

"WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST GIVE IT TO HIM?" Twilight shouted at the princess, whom she once looked up to. She didn't know how this could be possible.

"Somehow I knew this would end badly, but I didn't know you would actually become his friend."

"TELL ME WHY!"

"Because he cannot be trusted! He and his species have been the enemy of ponykind of thousands of years and there is nothing that can change that!"

"BUT HE'S CHANGED!" she protested, never feeling so angry before in her life.

"Since you joined up with him, you've lost the element of magic. I sensed it the moment you returned. Letting you go with him was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. Now do you see what becoming his friend has done to you?" She lightly tugged at Twilight with magic to have her let go of the statue. Then she noticed something Discord was holding in his stone hand. It was that dusty gem that he got from the island.

"Ah, the chaos crystal..." Celestia remarked. "I thought you went to that island just to kill some time, but it looks like you actually did find it there." She shot a beam of light from her horn that shattered it into dust. "If he had decided to use it then I'm not sure if the Elements of Harmony would even be strong enough to stop him."

Twilight turned and ran out of the castle in tears.