• Published 9th Nov 2011
  • 4,396 Views, 117 Comments

The Wild Goose Chase - Theevina



Princess Celestia has a strange new mission for Twilight.

  • ...
4
 117
 4,396

10 - Forgotten Past

Until Twilight's eyes adjusted, all she could see was empty darkness, but then the room slowly came into focus. It may once have been a beautiful entrance hall with marble floors, fancy rugs, elegant tapestries and glimmering chandeliers.

"Uh, where do we look for it?" she asked him as he wandered away.

"I don't know," he shouted back, "just look for clues." Then he vanished down another hall.

"Oh yeah, that's really going to help..." she muttered.

Out of the many different passages to choose from, she chose one randomly and trotted away to wherever it led. There were countless rooms in the castle; some were big, some were small, some were simple, many more were extravagant. But nowhere she went provided any clue as to where the goose could be found.

Then she came across a chamber with a large staircase leading to the upper levels. Figuring she could find something better up there, she took the stairs and started on a new hallway.

Eventually, after searching the castle for a couple hours, she came to Princess Celestia's room. She could tell it belonged to her because it looked like a room made for a royal filly, and she assumed Luna's room wouldn't be so bright. She was excited at first, but after searching every inch of the room there was still no trace of the goose or any clue about where it could have gone.

She turned around and almost stepped on a giant spider. Screaming, she quickly galloped away feeling tired and angry. She was going to see how Discord was doing. He was still searching on the main level in the library, throwing books off of shelves.

"Nope, nope, nope, nope." and once he was finished with a row, his neck would stretch out longer to start on the next one.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Oh, well, you know, one of these could be a secret lever to a hidden room."

"That's ridiculous." Twilight said.

"Oh really, then do you have a better idea? It doesn't look like you've had any better luck."

She blushed. "Well, no I haven't. I think I'll check the kitchen next, that is, if you haven't already."

She remembered seeing the kitchen before in a hall that she had been through before. But she didn't search it because there could not be any good reason why it would be in there.

There were pots and pans and empty bags of cooking supplies, but as she suspected, it was nowhere to be found in there. However, she noticed a door leading to the dining hall which she did not notice was there before.

In the dining hall, the table was set with candles, plates, silverware and napkins all old and covered with dust. The ceiling was high and surrounding the room were several paintings of royalty and nobility. There was one that caught her eye more than the others, the largest one mounted above the fireplace. She instantly recognized the princesses in the beautiful oil portrait. Even though they were much younger, they still had a similar appearance. In the rear were two alicorns wearing fancy clothes and crowns. Twilight assumed they must have been the king and queen.

As she looked at it and examined its details, she thought she saw them move. It must have been an illusion, but the ponies were moving in the painting. But they weren't in the painting anymore. Actually, the room was completely changed. It was bright and clean and they were sitting at the table eating a royal meal. The four of them were alone.

The king and queen watched their daughters nervously, not paying much attention to their own food.

"Dearest daughters," the king spoke, "thy mother and I have a matter of great importance to speak to you about."

"Yes, what is it?" Celestia asked politely in a young voice.

The queen looked like she was about to say something, but hesitated. "We are going on a journey, a very long journey and we may never return."

"Why? Where art thou going?" Luna asked with an ever younger and higher voice.

"It is not of any importance to you." the king said. "But you two may have to rule for yourselves."

"What nonsense is this?" Celestia asked. "We are not yet prepared to rule yet. What is the date of thy departure?"

"This night." the king said sternly.

"What? ... No!"

The queen stood up and walked over to comfort her daughter. "Be brave, my dear. You will have to take care of Luna and make your own choices. This is meant to be."

Celestia's eyes teared up. "But I don't want you to leave!"

"We must."

"But you said you would not be returning."

"We probably will not."

"That's not true! The magicians say this mountain contains mysterious fire that will destroy us all. But even that cannot happen, can it?"

The king sighed. "You must never say that. Anything can happen."

Twilight watched the scene fade away and another one replaced it. It was a few years later because they had grown. Celestia and Luna entered the room looking fearful. Their parents were gone and they were still just princesses learning to cope with the stress of ruling on their own.

The ground was rumbling and shaking. "What is happening?" Luna asked.

"The legends were true." Celestia answered. "The fire mountain will destroy us all. We must flee."

"But where to?"

"To a new land called Equestria. It is where the other tribes have gone. There is a wooded area they found where we may make our new home."

"But what about all our possessions?"

"They are not that important. Everything is in the vault."

"So we flee now?"

"Wait, we will need the Elements of Harmony. They are still in the vault."

"Which one is it?"

"Large and crimson."

Luna obeyed and ran out of the dining room. She looked like she was heading towards the library.

Discord put his hand on Twilight's back. She was awoken from the vision and reappeared in the present.

"Are you alright?" he asked. "You've been staring at that for quite a long time."

"I don't know what to say..." she began. As much as she already knew about pony history, she had learned almost nothing about the history of the princesses. "I don't know if it was ghosts or a miracle or what. But I think I know where the goose is!"

"Then where is it?"

Twilight ran away without answering. He followed her back into the library. "Celestia said it was large and crimson. I think she meant a book."

They ran different directions through the shelves, checking for a large and crimson book. Eventually, they both entered the same row and found it at the same time. The color was faded, but there was no doubt that it was the one.

"May I?" he asked with a grin.

"Be my guest."

He pulled at the large book and there was a deep thud in the ground.

"So... what was that?" she asked.

"I have no idea- AHHHHH!"

The floor opened up and they fell into a bottomless pit.