• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 966 Views, 27 Comments

Desires - Skylight77



There are two sides to everything. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy learn this the hard way. Now they must work together in order to get home.

  • ...
5
 27
 966

Chapter 12: A Magician’s Tale

3 days ago:

Carousel flew through the skies, beating against her wings more than she was the air. She abused her own body more so than ripping the air apart. She was not thinking about how to get there as fast as she could. Her body was more so releasing all the adrenaline throughout her body that she could possibly manage.

Carousel was still riled up. Her eyes stuck to that mountain she was flying towards like it was her mortal enemy. She stared at this mountain like she wanted to destroy it and take it down. This was wrath she was feeling. Yet it would never be seen, because it wasn’t possible at the moment. But being impossible did not change how she felt.

Carousel’s mind scrambled as she came so close to the mountain. It was a long flight, and it felt like she was draining the entire wrath that was being contained in her body. She had all of the reasons to contain the wrath, but no reason to keep it fueled.

And yet, she still felt it.

______________________________________________________________________________

Carousel’s landmark came into view. She was flying on the opposite side of the mountain from where the city was connected to. She flew straight towards the ground, getting ready to land.

But as soon as she reached the ground, she felt nothing to land on. Instead, the grass seemed to burst in a sparkle of light, causing her to fall right through.

*Gasp!*” Carousel had no time to react before she disappeared inside, losing all sights of everything. She kept falling through, but it wasn’t long before she suddenly felt landing, allowing her to come to a complete stop.

“W-what?” Carousel asked, taking a look at her surroundings. She couldn’t see anything. Everything was as voided as the images she saw in her mind were. She couldn’t even see the area where she entered this place.

“So good of you to come, my little admirer,” a voice spoke from behind Carousel. “Trixie knew you would come, after all.”

Carousel immediately turned herself around. She lowered her ground as she saw the silhouette of the pony who was speaking to her. But it was a little off, like she was wearing something. Carousel could see the unicorn’s horn glowing, even though it was slightly hidden. As the unicorn stepped closer, Carousel remained her ground, growling in anticipation for whatever she was about to do.

But then, Carousel stopped her growling. The closer the unicorn came, the clearer her form had become. But more importantly, she could clearly see the amulet that the unicorn was holding in her magic. She had it, but the griffon she was with was nowhere in sight.

“Trixie believes this belongs to you,” the unicorn stated. Carousel noticed the uniform she was wearing. It was a cape and a hat. They were both purple and were designed with many stars.

“W-what, is going on?...” Carousel asked confused. Everything she was witnessing wasn’t making any sense. She noticed the unicorn chuckling.

“Not everything is at it seems, does it, my little admirer?” the unicorn answered while continuing to walk closer, lifting her hat in the air, revealing the glowing horn. “But there is one thing that is as is around here." The unicorn turned her head slightly while flashing a smug smile. "And that is this..." She motioned her head towards the amulet she was carrying in her magic. Carousel took a slight glace towards the amulet before she refocused her attention back to the unicorn. She couldn't figure out what the unicorn was planning,

"You really have a bad habit of keeping your hooves on this amulet," the unicorn continued, still closing in on Carousel. "So, allow Trixie to solve this issue right away.” The unicorn flared her horn brighter, levitating the amulet closer to Carousel’s face while Carousel tried to back away slightly. “Witness one of the greatest inventions in all of Equestria!”

The unicorn levitated the amulet towards the front center of Carousel’s neck collar until they touched. Carousel turned her head and closed her eyes, bracing whatever was about to happen. When the amulet and collar connected, they created a sudden glow that grew shortly before dying out.

Carousel looked back in front of her when the unicorn stepped away. Her horn dimmed before being re-concealed with that hat. The glow on the amulet had vanished as well. She was no longer holding the amulet in her magic, yet the amulet still connected with the collar.

Carousel placed a hoof on the amulet, trying to move it. The amulet moved with the collar. It seemed that the collar and the amulet were connected together now.

“And that, my little admirer, is how you prevent the loss of your precious souvenirs,” the unicorn said. Carousel took her hoof off the collar.

“What, are you?” Carousel asked.

“I could ask you the same thing, my little admirer,” the unicorn responded while placing a hoof to her hat. “For a magician never reveals her secrets!” she said while at the same time, using her hoof to throw her hat quickly across and in between both ponies. Carousel saw a pinecone levitating in midair right after that hat passed between them. The unicorn placed her hat back on before grabbing the pinecone out of the air with her hoof.

“But since you asked first, a proper introduction is a must!” The unicorn threw the pinecone up slightly in the air. She turned her head and opened her mouth as the pinecone fell towards her.

*Crunch!* Carousel winced as the unicorn bit down that pinecone whole. The unicorn was gobbling it down like it was nothing. She could hear the hard crunching sound coming from it. It didn’t help that the unicorn was chomping down on it with her mouth open. She could see the sharp edges piercing in between those teeth, and some were piercing through so far, the unicorn’s outer jaws showed the ending points of the needles.

“Nngh…” Carousel managed to regain her composure when the unicorn was finished with that pinecone. Before she noticed it, a small rag was levitated near the unicorn’s snout. The unicorn brought one swipe with the rag towards her snout. Suddenly, all those needles had disappeared. It was disturbing, yet fascinating.

“I am-“ the unicorn started as she lowered her ground. She then threw her fore hooves up into the air, standing on her hind legs. “-The Great, and Powerful, Trixie!” Fireworks were shooting out of the air, seemingly out of nowhere. She then broke her stance, standing back on all fours as she continued. “But if that is too long for you, my little admirer, then you may just call me, Trixie.”

“Trixie…” It was then that Carousel finally caught the name of this unicorn.

A sudden strange disturbance formed deep within her mind.

“So, my little admirer, do you have a name?” Trixie said as she started patting the top of Carousel’s mane, taking a look at her collar. “For if you do, Trixie isn’t seeing one here.”

Carousel felt an odd wave of adrenaline rushing through her with this odd contact. It felt so weird, yet, oddly soothing.

“Carousel.”

Trixie stopped her patting and looked towards Carousel. “Hmm?”

Carousel cleared her throat before responding again. “You can call me, Carousel.”

Trixie backed away a little bit, trying to process words. “C-carous-“ she couldn’t contain her snickering. “PPHHAAAHAHAHAHA!!!” Trixie broke into a laughing fit, collapsing towards the ground, clutching her stomach as she laughed. She pointed a hoof towards Carousel in the middle of her laughter. “Hah… h-I don’t know wha-at to make fun of more-h! Your name or your voice! AHAAHAA!” Trixie was rolling around the ground in laughter, tears forming in her eyes. Her hind legs were even kicking in the air.

Carousel watched as Trixie laughed her guts out. Carousel’s face turned serious. She began to give off a low growl. Her vision focused on the laughing unicorn. She bent down low, giving a strong glare at Trixie as her teeth clenched together. Her emotions were building with rage hearing that menacing laughter.

The only thing that Carousel’s mind focused on was Trixie’s laughter. Trixie’s movements were in slow motion to her. Carousel’s body began to shake and her hoof grinded against the ground as she slid it with much pressure setting down. Her breathing was very heavy.

“Hey, are you okay?” Carousel’s mind paused when she heard a voice. The visions she saw suddenly became apparent in her mind. At some point, Trixie had stopped laughing and was standing in front of her like normal, giving her a confused look.

Carousel halted her growling and temper, but her body still stayed low. She looked up to the unicorn, letting her expression fall flat.

“You must have a lot of questions for Trixie, don’t you, Carousel,” Trixie said as she let out a smile, bringing herself to Carousel’s level. “But alas, Trixie will only answer what she is about to tell you now.” Trixie brought her hoof to Carousel's collar, lifting them both up to their hooves. Carousel saw Trixie’s horn glowing brighter underneath her hat as she started backing away. “Regarding your souvenir…”

______________________________________________________________________________

The surrounding area of the void they were in was now creating images. Carousel could see both Trixie and the griffon that had attempted to take her amulet.

“My fellow apprentice here, Trixie has quite the story to tell with her, but let’s just say, her greed never ends,” Trixie started. The images showed them at what appeared to be a stage performing a show.

“Trixie makes a living attracting audiences all over Equestria granting them a magical performance of Great, and Astonishing Feats!” The images showed the stage flaring a lot of fireworks all over the stage and above the audience.

“But my fellow apprentice over there, got greedy,” Trixie said as the image focused on the griffon, seeing her go to the crowd. “She decided to become a thief and start stealing from MY audience!” The image showed the griffon’s tail digging through some of the audience supplies just before the images got slashed. Carousel covered her eyes when the slash went through. When she looked back, the images changed to Trixie alone, somewhere in a barren field.

“Trixie may be cunning and clever with her amazing talents, but she does not resort to petty thievery. She earns her rewards, even if she has to work, On A Rock Farm, to do so!” Trixie seemed to hold venom in her voice at those words she raised. She gave a sigh and calmed herself before continuing.

“But alas, these ponies are just as gullible, if not, even more gullible than you are, but-” the images changed to Trixie and Carousel when they first met. “-this was where she crossed the line. A poor defenseless pegasus wandering through a forest, alone, lost, scared, and everything taken from her.” Carousel glanced over to Trixie, wondering if she was even describing the same story. The images changed to where they met the second time.

“My apprentice told Trixie all about how she was going to get back at you for the way you treated her, with my help.” Trixie smiled at this remark. “She got her wish, but not how she thought it would go in the end.” Trixie shined her horn brighter, causing the entire area to flash. The images disappeared.

______________________________________________________________________________

Carousel and Trixie were now returned to the voided area that they were previously in. Carousel couldn’t tell how she was doing this, or what this room was. But the way Trixie was telling her story was astonishing.

“Long story short, she never had possession of the souvenir you wield now. Not knowing that, she led herself to her own punishment.” Trixie flapped her cape gracefully. “Trixie didn’t have to do a thing after that.”

Carousel could barely follow that story. She felt like she had been used. But the way she was used didn’t bother her.

...It was odd. Even after so much trouble that she had been put through, she felt so... calm about it.

Carousel placed her hoof on the amulet that was connected to her collar, examining it. She could tell that it was indeed hers. The inscriptions on the front was still there, clearly visible. She could even feel the marks of where the engravings were.

“So,” Trixie started up again, “do you have any questions for Trixie now?”

“…Yeah,” Carousel responded in a bit of a delay. “Where... are we?” she asked as she moved her hoof towards the scenery.

“Ah…” Trixie stated smiling. “You haven’t even started, and you are already lost.” Trixie gave her horn a simple flash, twice, before continuing. “Not everything is at they seem are they? Yet we are simply, underground.”

Trixie shot out a wave of magic out of her horn, like a beam. Carousel moved out of the way of the beam’s range, looking to where that beam was going. The beam was striking at something that didn’t look like was there at all. The beam was revealing something. It looked like a large door that was leading to a temple, but there were no walls anywhere near the door.

“Trixie promised you a journey of magnificence beyond anypony’s imaginations!” Trixie said. Carousel walked towards the door, leaving a gasp of awe through her voice. Seeing as there seemed to be no way of opening the door on immediate depiction, she looked back towards Trixie.

“The journey is a long a dangerous one, but Trixie is ready to face the challenges for what she desires!” Trixie started walking towards the door. While she was walking, she used her magic to pull something out of her hat. It looked like a large brown feather. It seemed like that feather belonged to that griffon she was talking about. Trixie levitated the feather towards the center of the door.

“Everypony desires something in their life, Carousel,” Trixie said as she seemed to analyze the feather with the door in front of her. “Come with Trixie, and everything you’re questioning now, will become clear as day, even to you…”

The door gave off a bright flash.

*Crank!*

The door started opening. Carousel put a hoof over her eyes as the door slowly started climbing up, slowly revealing the insides.

*…bzzt…*

The area started to go all static.

*Bzzt…*

Reality broke away as the static covered everything.

______________________________________________________________________________

Current day:

“AaaAAAHH!”

“Carousel, what’s wrong? What happened next?” Rainbow Dash looked towards Carousel’s silhouette, anticipating what was to come. But it wasn’t coming. Carousel was gripping her head with her hooves, looking to be in pain.

“Nngh… Nnngh!”

“Oh no, I think she’s having trouble remembering,” Fluttershy said, looking worryingly at her.

“Now?” Rainbow Dash asked as she looked back to Fluttershy. “No… come on!” Rainbow Dash looked back to Carousel.

“Please, try to remember,” Fluttershy said to Carousel.

Carousel gritted her teeth, squeezing her eyes shut as she tried to force her mind to think back to those events. It was as if something was forcing her mind to be drawn away from happened in that temple.

Rainbow Dash looked away, shivering her head as she squeezed her eyes shut. There just had to be something that would help her remember.

They were so close.

Author's Note:

The back story is starting to draw very close here, and the real story is about to begin. It's been a while, but hopefully this story will start to get interesting.

Next Chapter: Never Around