• Published 17th Feb 2015
  • 1,786 Views, 37 Comments

Ebony and Ivory: Mother's love. - SGZone



Chrysalis receives terrible news and finds a very unconventional and scandalous solution.

  • ...
5
 37
 1,786

Chapter 5

The orphanage that was their destination was the largest one in the main hive known as, Heaven’s Light. While changelings have strong belief in the bond of family and unwanted pregnancies are almost non existent orphans still linger. Most of them are from parental deaths while others are victims of foolish changelings not really ready for parenthood. As Chrysalis and Arthemis they were greeted by the caretaker, Ray of Light. A rather small changeling even Arthemis had about a foot on her but she had big bright smile and pretty green eyes.

“Greetings your majesty and royal sister.” Ray said placing her hand to her heart and bowing.

“Rise.” Chrysalis said beckoning her to stand. Ray did as she was told and stood still smiling.

“Would you like to see the children my queen?” Ray asked.

“No thank you we don’t want to get their hopes up. I trust you didn’t tell them of our arrival?” Arthemis asked.

“Oh yes as you instructed royal sister.” Ray responded. “Follow me and we will discuss the process of adoption it’s not the same as getting a pet you know.” She added leading them down the hall.

“I never thought that it was. I understand the gravity of adoption Ray and am ready to be a responsible mother. To love and raise it to be queen or king one day.” Chrysalis responded.

“Oh, I didn’t mean any disrespect my majesty just something to reiterate. I’m sure you would make any girl or boy very happy to be their mother. Today is mostly just paperwork and forms and other tedious things.” She responded.

“Oh, joy.” Chrysalis murmured with a weary roll of the eyes.

As they entered the small office Arthemis and Chrysalis took two chairs opposite of Ray of Light's desk. The meeting started with Sunlight pulling out a rather large stack of documents and saying something about how extensive the process is but since Chrysalis was queen much of it could be avoided. Ray didn’t know it but in Chrysalis’s mind this gave her leave to “check out.” As Ray of Light droned on about forms and regulations and more things that bored her to death Chrysalis’s mind wandered but always came back to the same area. The two boys recovering at her caste and their names. Strangely this question consumed the queen and she was determined to find an answer.

‘Hmmm let’s see… I could name them after their eyes. They were very striking and beautiful. Let’s see: Ruby and Emerald, not bad. Ruby and Peridot, mmmm I think not. Ruby and… Jade? No none of these feel right. I like Peridot. How about Garnet and Peridot? An interesting ring but still no. Spinel and Peridot, Spinel and Peridot, still no. None of them sound right. They’re tough babes and need strong names.

“Chrysalis.” a voice called tearing her from her roulette of names. Chrysalis shook her head clearing her thoughts and looked at her worried sister. “Have you been paying attention, sister?” Arthemis asked.

“Oh yes of course. Forms, forms and more forms I get it. Honestly, I’m a queen, if I can take care of a Hive of millions I can raise and love a hatchling, continue.” Chrysalis said waving for Ray to continue. Arthemis rolled her eyes but left the matter alone as Ray started again. Chrysalis tried to pay attention longer this time hoping to come out of this with something but as the talk returned to what each of the forms meant her thoughts drifted away and right back to her first thoughts.

Alright… maybe precious gemstones aren’t the best names for them. harder minerals maybe, ores? Strong stone names for strong boys. How about Cinnabar and Serpentine. Mmmm a little ugly. Well, there are red and green versions of serpentine, that then? Ehh no, I might as well be calling them colors which isn’t much better than calling them One and Two. How about Realgar that’s a nice one and how about Malachite for the other one. I rather like that but as Priamus said never go with your first pick immediately. What else about them is striking? Oh! they’re fluffy little hair a nice contrast, hmm black and white. Lots of possibilities. Let’s stick with the harder minerals…

But once again her sister interrupted her thoughts. “Chrysalis. We’re ready to go.” She said standing to leave. Chrysalis snapped out of her stupor and stood from her chair.

“Ah yes thank you Ray of Light this has been very enlightening. I’ll be sure to think this over and get back to you soon. I’ll be taking the paperwork.” Chrysalis said holding out her hand. Ray happily handed her the mountain of papers. Which she gratefully accepted tucking the stable sheets under her arm. With another bow from Ray the two sisters departed from the orphanage. As the doors to the orphanage closed behind them Arthemis gave Chrysalis a playful shove.

“What is with you today? You were looking so forward to this and you don’t even pay attention.” She chided.

“I’m sorry but I was occupied with other things. You know that paperwork and such bores the hell out of me.” Chrysalis responded throwing her arms out in confession. Arthemis rolled her eyes at her sister’s immaturity.

“Besides be honest with me was anything she said really all that important?” She asked with a skeptical look. Arthemis fired back with her own look of annoyance, but almost as soon as their staring contest began did Arthemis forfeit it by looking down with a defeated sigh.

“No not really. It was all pretty boring to be honest. I don’t know how you can just drift away like that. I can’t seem to stop paying attention when people start speaking.” She admitted.

“Think of it as a blessing not a curse. It’s what makes you so valuable in these meetings.” Chrysalis smiled. Arthemis giggled in response. The rest of their walk was then taken in silence leaving Chrysalis free to return to her naming problem.

Now where was I? Oh yes. Now, how about Obsidian that’s not bad. Onyx is pretty strong but I’ve heard it before. Hmmm. There’s a better one though...’ Chrysalis stroked her chin in thought looking up at the tall ebony towers around her palace. Just then it hit her harder than a very large and obvious boulder. ‘Ebony of course! How could I not think of that in the first place, were surrounded by it. Ebony, rolls off the tongue, tough, perfect. Now for the blond one. Hmmm. Gold, no. Aurous, no. Alabaster, no. Daylight, eugh I think that was the worst one. There’s something I’m forgetting it’s right on the tip of my tongue.’ She knitted her eyebrows trying to unravel the mystery in her mind as the doors to her castle came into view. Let’s see, Ebony and… Marble, no. Ebony and Quartz, no. Ebony and Platinum, no. Ebony and Porcelain, By the heavens NO! Think Chrysalis you are missing something.’ As she began to climb the steps she was hit by a lightning bolt of ingenious.

“Ivory! That’s it!” She shouted out of the silence making Arthemis jump in surprise. Chrysalis quickly handed Arthemis the papers smiling with excitement. Like someone who just figured out the answer to a very difficult crossword. She disappeared behind the massive doors and sprinted down the hall to Dr. Hale’s office. Chrysalis swung open the doors startling Dr. Hale who has fallen asleep behind his desk.

“What- who? I have a scalpel!” He cried shaking off his sleep and rubbing his eyes. “My queen what are you doing here?” He asked but before Chrysalis could respond the two babies began to howl from the unexpected noise. Chrysalis quickly moved to soothe the screaming babes.

“Shh Shh Shh I’m sorry I got a little carried away little ones.” She cooed running over to them and placing her hands on their tiny little cheeks. “Shh it’s okay.” She whispered stroking their hair. At her soft touch and kind words they began to calm now their cries turning to whimpers and sniffles. “I have good news, though. I have new names for you both. Good names too.” She whispered turning to the one with ruby eyes who was staring at her. “You will be Ebony.” She said turning to his brother. “You are Ivory.” She said. The newly named boys looked at Chrysalis still sniffling but calm. “Ebony.” She said shaking his hand and making him smile. “Ivory.” She giggled as Ivory smiled. “Ebony.” She giggled this time grabbing his feet making the baby squirm and giggle. “Ivory.” She laughed grabbing Ivory’s feet getting a similar reaction.

“My queen if I may they still need rest I would refrain from playing with them until they’re stronger.” Dr. Hale said. Chrysalis nodded to him and stood giving each of them a smile. “So those are their new names Queen Chrysalis?” He asked sitting back down.

“Indeed been thinking about it nonstop since I left.” Chrysalis responded.

“Interesting name’s my queen.” He chuckled.

“Is something funny with my choice of names Dr. Hale?” She said raising her eyebrows a slight edge in her voice.

“Oh you misunderstand my queen. It’s your recent mood that has me smiling.” He responded.

“My mood?” She asked.

“Forgive me my queen but since your recent news your smile has been a rather rare occurrence. You used to have a cocky little one everywhere you went.” He said. “And you certainly had never been as giddy as you were just now.” He continued. Chrysalis scoffed at his comments.

“Dr. Hale I was not giddy. Just a tad... relieved.” She responded with a bit of embarrassment.

“Oh yes my queen. The same way a child is a 'tad happy' on their hatching day.” He chuckled. Chrysalis turned her head with a 'hmph' sticking her nose up and folding her arms in indignation.

“You forget yourself Dr. Hale I’m a queen and could have you killed for joking at my expense.” She admonished.

“My queen if I could have a gold piece for every time you and your mother said that to me I wouldn’t have to be a doctor.” He laughed. Chrysalis rolled her eyes and going for the door.

“Keep me posted on their condition doctor.” She said leaving with Dr. Hale still chuckling behind her.

As Chrysalis left the office she was stopped by Arthemis in the main atrium.

“Chrysalis there you are. Where the hell did you go and what is this about ivory?” She asked.

“Sorry sister but you remember those two boys. Well they didn’t have names so I’ve been racking my brain around some new ones and I just figured it out. They are now Ebony and Ivory.” She replied. Arthemis’s eyes widened in shock as her mouth dropped.

“That is what has been occupying your time? Figuring out names for a couple of baby humans?” She asked. Chrysalis was taken back by her apprehensive tone.

“Why do you care what I concern myself with?” Chrysalis asked a tad insulted.

“You are Queen Chrysalis and cannot be distracted by foolish things.” She chided. Chrysalis now began to bristle but did her best to keep her emotions in check.

“I don’t like your tone, Arthemis. Why are you getting so upset about this?” Chrysalis fired back. They glared at each other as a battle of wills commenced.

“Oh, forget it.” Arthemis growled forcibly handing the adoption papers back to Chrysalis and leaving in a huff.

“The hell is her problem?” Chrysalis muttered climbing the stairs up to her room. Chrysalis slammed the door behind her as she entered tossing the papers on her desk. Knocking the journal that Arthemis gave her. Chrysalis picked up the journal and began flipping through the mostly empty pages stopping at the blank page next to her most recent entry.

‘Hmm maybe I should fill it out. A lot did happen today.’

“Oh screw it.” Chrysalis rumbled tossing the book back on the desk and laying down on her bed, exhausted. It didn’t take long for her to drift to sleep.

Author's Note:

Chapter 5 any criticism or questions is welcome.