• Published 14th Apr 2012
  • 1,043 Views, 2 Comments

Paladin - The_Pariah



As it turns out defeating Discord didn't resolve ALL of the chaos he caused...

  • ...
1
 2
 1,043

Chapter 8: Artemis' Return

Chapter 8: Artemis' Return

Paladin chuckled as he walked out of the restaurant. "Come on guys, I told you it was getting late."

Close behind him was his brother, Concord, whose mane still dripped with the last remnants of the spilled wine. "Sarah, was that really necessary? I can see why Paladin doesn't drink."

Sarah stumbled out after him, with Evening giving her support. Both of them were exceedingly drunk. Sarah giggled. "Come on Concord, it was a joke," she said, her words slurring together.

Evening hiccuped. "Well, I control that stupid moon anyway- it’ll stay late until I say otherwise." Her silky voice was deteriorating due to the quantity of alcohol she had consumed, and parts of the glamor had started to fade.

Paladin shook his head. "Actually Evening, the only thing you can control in that state is your breathing." He looked across the road, then back at the three drunk ponies behind him. "Wait here a second." Crossing the road quickly, he knocked on the door of the building where the squad of guards was stationed.

The door swung open, and the head of a Royal Guard poked out. "Can I help you?"

Paladin smiled. "Yes, I want you to escort those three back to the library."

The guard nodded. "Yes sir. I'll get the others immediately." Moments later, the rest of the squad stood in a protective circle around the three ponies. The Sergeant who has answered the door poked Paladin. "Sir, If you don't mind me asking, where are you going?"

"Not at all. I'm just going to watch the stars for a while. I'll be back soon. Until I return, you are to guard the library."

The Sergeant nodded. "Yes sir."

Paladin watched as they walked away before turning and walking in the other direction.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Paladin lay down on the hill and watched as the stars continued their trip across the night sky. He smiled softly, but it faded as his thoughts turned to Twilight. "Why is she so distrustful?" he sighed wistfully.

Because she hates you.

Paladin sat up. "Pardon?"

I told you already, she hates you.

"What?"

She thinks you're a monster, a traitor, a fiend.

"... And who the hell are you to tell me what to think?"

I'm you. Only a little more attentive. As for where... A shadow formed in front of Paladin, the ghost of a smile on his lips. Now let's see if I can fix your mindset. The shadow faded, before the same crazy smile formed on Paladin's lips and he pupils shrunk to pinpricks before exploding with a sickly black glow.

He stared at the stars for a second, before teleporting in a flash of black light.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Sergeant yawned and watched with a faint smile as the three ponies slept on the couch. Turning back to face the direction in which the sun would rise, he raised an eyebrow at one of his fellow guards. "Tenson, what are you doing?"

Tenson glanced at him, then continued knitting. "What does it look like Sarge? I'm knitting."

The Sergeant lowered his eyebrow and turned back to face outwards. He blinked as his vision flooded with a large, foreboding outline of a pony in front of him. "Oh, Mr Amor, didn't see you there. I assume you are ready to take over."

He nodded. "You could say that."

Shrugging, the Sergeant stepped to the side and admitted Paladin inside. As one, the guard squad leapt into the air and departed. A malicious smile lit Paladin's face as he swaggered inside.

Inside, Evening lay on the couch, Concord on the floor and Sarah next to him. Paladin passed by them, his hooves barely making a noise as they touched the floor.

He climbed the stairs, and he passed his room. He reached forward and prodded open the door to Twilight's room. Twilight lay in her bed, occasionally twitching as she dreamed. Paladin's horn began to glow black, and a similar glow formed around Twilight's neck. "Treat me like dirt will you? Time for a little revenge." He lifted Twilight, and began to squeeze.

Twilight's eyes snapped open and they darted around the room, searching for her attacker. Her eyes found Paladin, whose face was lit by the dark magic and he grinned like a maniac. She tried to scream, but no noise escaped her throat.

Paladin began to laugh hysterically as he watched with both horror and satisfaction as Twilight slumped forward, unconscious.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Pariah yawned as he lifted himself out of bed. Rubbing the sleep out his eyes, he dragged himself over to his wash basin and splashed water on his face. He turned and trotted into his kitchen.

Pulling a box of cereal out his pantry, he turned, grabbed some milk, and poured a generous amount of both into a bowl. Lifting a spoon with his hoof, he took a mouthful.

"Why do you do that?" Pariah dropped the spoon and choked down his mouthful. "Pariah, why don't you use your magic?"

Pariah stared at the glowing being before him. "Artemis?"

Artemis nodded. "Yup. You going to answer my question?"

"We both know I don't have magic anymore." Pariah picked up his spoon and took another mouthful. "Celestia destroyed it, and replaced it with my magic eyesight." Chewing he raised an eyebrow. "Why are you here?"

"I need to get back to Paladin. And I need your help to do it."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Paladin let Twilight slump to the ground. He paused listening the voice that now had complete control. Who else betrayed you? Paladin instantly regretted his next thought. Ah, that pesky Princess Celestia... Of course.

Paladin's eyes widened. "No, I won't let you."

I'm afraid you don't have a choice. Come along now. Paladin tried to resist, then the voice spoke again. You realize of course she tried to kill you? Paladin blinked, and whatever horrible thing possessed him blinked back the fluctuating colour in his eyes and smirked. His horn flared, and he slipped away with a flash of black light.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Princess Celestia sighed as she lowered her body into the bath. Her regalia lay discarded in a corner. Several candles lay around the edge of the bath, and the blinds were drawn.

Without her regalia, her now-naturally coloured bubblegum pink mane floated outwards and she sighed contently. "It has been much too long since I have relaxed like this."

A burst of black light interrupted her relaxation, and from the darkness stepped Paladin. "Paladin, what are you doing here? I thought my sister told you about next week..." Paladin's eyes snapped open, revealing the pure darkness that existed in them. "What happened to you?"

"I evolved."

The grand set of doors that sat at one end of the room burst open, revealing Pariah, and a fiery pegasus. "Paladin." Pariah's low voice echoed through the now silent bathroom. "What are you doing?"

Paladin spun. "I am getting my revenge. It's only fair." He shrugged, then pulled out a kitchen knife. His black eyes regarded the pegasus. "Artemis, what are you doing here?"

"I came to see how you're doing. I can't believe you've gone this far."

"Artemis, I haven't gone far enough. I'll stop once I have dealt revenge to all those who hurt me."

Author's Note:

Welp, I promised you a new chapter, and I delivered. Chapter 9 on the way soon. Hopefully