• Published 14th Apr 2012
  • 1,042 Views, 2 Comments

Paladin - The_Pariah



As it turns out defeating Discord didn't resolve ALL of the chaos he caused...

  • ...
1
 2
 1,042

Chapter 6: Love is Eternal

Chapter 6: Love is Eternal.

Paladin stepped out of the Everfree forest and into the sunlight. It warmed his fur and made him feel better than he had felt in a long time. But something still troubled him. "Why did Chaos let me get away? He had plenty of opportunity to kill or maim me, but didn't. Why?" As he walked towards Ponyville his thoughts changed to the recent argument he'd had with the princess. It had all been a ruse, to draw out Chaos, but now, he was technically both an outcast and a pariah once more and an enemy of Equestria.

He walked silently into Ponyville. Life seemed pretty normal here. No sign of Chaos yet. Paladin moved quickly, moving as fast as possible without drawing attention to himself.

He reached the library and quietly opened the door and snuck inside. However he didn't expect to come face to face with a despondent Twilight. Her eyes were upset and a single tear rolled down her cheek. She wrapped her forelegs around his neck and sobbed into his chest. “I thought I lost you. I thought you were dead.” She continued to cry, while Paladin continued stroking her mane.

“It alright Twilight, I’m fine. It’s your friends I’m worried about.”

Twilight stepped back and nodded, wiping her tears away. "We need to find a cure for them. We need their help if we're going to beat Chaos."

Luna walked out from behind one of the statues, still in her child form. "You realize that we're going to need my sister's help, right?"

Paladin shook his head. "No. We can do this without her."

Twilight looked at them, confused. "What are you talking about?"

Paladin bowed his head, ashamed as Luna explained. "Paladin is banished as you know. But now, he is also an enemy of Equestria. He argued against my sister for all our sakes to trick Chaos. But he is now technically an enemy."

Paladin looked up, his face an unreadable mask. "But as long as your sister doesn't show up, we're fine. Now Twilight, we need a book that would help us. I'm sure there's one here." His horn glowed, and around fifty books surrounded him.

Paladin closed his eyes and whispered. "She must hate me even more now. Nothing I ever do is right." He opened his eyes, and began to search the books, his eyes running over the pages, looking for any hints that would help, but found now.Screaming in rage, he sent the books spinning back to their shelves.

“What is it?” Twilight looked at him.

“Nothing in this stupid library. I guess I’ll go. I’m not needed here.” He turned to leave, only to be interrupted by a flash of multicoloured light.

"And just where do you think you're going?"

Paladin stopped mid stride. "Umm, I was just going to leave and never return."

Celestia raised an eyebrow. "Before you fight Chaos?" Paladin turned and his eyes grew cold. "Before I fight Chaos? Chaos isn't my problem. He's yours. The only reason I'm helping at all is because you're all my friends. I'm a pariah and an enemy." Paladin turned again and began to walk towards the door.

Celestia shook her head. Her horn flared brightly and a huge blast of white magic exploded outwards.

When the magic hit the statues, they crumbled, revealing five unconscious but unharmed ponies. Paladin Watched the display of magical prowess. "Well, that was fun. Now all you need are the Elements of Harmony and you can beat Chaos."

Twilight took a step forward. "But Paladin-"

He turned to her. "Look, I like you Twilight, I really do. But I'm a criminal. I'm the very thing I swore I would never become. I let you down, I let myself down and most importantly I let Equestria down. I'm done."

Paladin stepped outside. The sun was low in the sky and the moon was near rising. "The darkest time is before dawn and just after dusk, when neither the sun or moon are in the sky..." Paladin said the words he had been taught so long ago, when his brother was still alive. "Oh no. He's going to strike now, at the darkest part of the day!"

Without realizing it, Paladin had started to walk away. He turned toward the library just in time to see it explode in a brilliantly horrifying flower of flame. Paladin went flying back. He landed hard, his head struck the ground and everything went black.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Welcome back." Paladin opened his eyes to see he was in the other world again. This time there was no fog. The world around him was barren. In the sky burned a ball of light, something akin to the sun, but not quite. The fiery pegasus looked at him funny. "I didn't know you were bringing guests."

Paladin climbed to his hooves. "What are you talking about?" The pegasus pointed at something behind him. Paladin looked over his shoulder. There sitting on the ground, smiling, was Princess Celestia. Paladins eyes hardened and his voice took an edge. "What are you doing in my head?"

She kept smiling. "You are in a coma. This was the only way to contact you. After the library was attacked and Twilight teleported everypony, I came here to find you." She looked at the former windigo. "Who are you? And what are you doing in here?"

He walked over. "I used to be a windigo, but now I'm not so sure. I tried to take over Paladin’s head, but that didn't work out, so now I help out around here, healing wounds and such."

She hmphed. "Paladin, as much as it pains me to say, you have found an ally. How this will pertain to the future, I cannot say. However, now is not the time to dwell upon such things, you need to come back. Chaos has launched an attack against us and we need all the help we can get."

Paladin shook his head. "I refuse, I won't help you."

Celestia sighed. “Then I’ll make you an offer. Either help us now, and I remove both your banishment and make you no longer an enemy of Equestria, or don’t, and keep your titles, your guilt and watch the world survive or fall, without your help.”

“That’s a tad dramatic, don’t you think? Besides, there’s actually not much in it for me.”

“I’ll tell you what. I’ll give you one other thing.” Leaning in, she whispered a few words in his ears.

He stared at her. “You can’t do that.” He raised an eyebrow skeptically.

She nodded. “I can. And will, if you help us. Also, either way, you may want to be careful when you wake up. You injured your leg in the blast.”

He sighed, exasperated. "I will, Chaos hurt Twilight. He's going to pay." Paladin closed his eyes. "You can leave now. I'll be with you in a moment." Celestia nodded and she was gone.

"She gone?" Paladin's eyes opened.

"Yes."

"Right, before I go, I think I know what you are. But I can't be sure. Just thought you should know." Paladin closed his eyes again.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Paladin came to in a book-packed room. Between the books that lined the walls, Paladin could see a vanity and a small table. There were a few candles high on the wall, but the room was also lit by the full moon. He turned and found Twilight was staring at him. "Oh ah... I was... ah-" She stumbled back. Paladin stood up.

"It's ok." He trotted forward and leaned so they were face to face. His heart began to pound. I can’t believe I’m about to do this.

You like her, it’s ok.

But-

You do realise you're arguing with yourself, don’t you?

Shut up. "I told you once before, I like you." He reached up, and stroked her mane with his left hoof. He got lost staring deep into her eyes. So deep... “So precious...” He whispered. He leaned forward, his eyes sliding closed as his lips met hers. In that instant, there was nothing but Twilight. The rest of the world faded away. She resisted for a second but then she gave in and kissed him back. Together they stood like that, before slowly drawing away.

Twilight leaned forward and whispered in his ear. “I didn’t say we could to stop.” Grinning, Paladin leaned in, and their lips locked again.

"I hope we're not interrupting anything important."

They broke apart and looked at the amused faces of their friends, including both princesses. Twilight blushed. "We... ah... didn't-"

Paladin placed a hoof in front of her. "It's ok, I'm sure they understand." While his face was calm, his mind was racing. He knew what was inside his head, but that wasn't possible, was it?

Celestia interrupted his thoughts. "If you two are done, can we continue with out plan of action. As I'm sure everypony is aware, the attack on the library was only the beginning. With all major resistance in Ponyville eliminated, Chaos has the perfect opportunity to attack us. If we are to lead any sort of fight back we need to get back to Ponyville."

"Then wouldn't it be best if we head out immediately?" Paladin stepped forward and staggered, before his front right leg gave out and he collapsed.

Celestia shook her head. "We will be going, you won't." Paladin got to his hooves, only to collapse again. "I'll be fine, don't worry."

Twilight stepped forward. "I like you Paladin, but you won’t be helpful in this fight, especially with that leg." She kissed him on the cheek before she stepped back and joined the group. The moon rose steadily behind them, casting them into shadow. The soft glow of the moon lit up Twilight's mane, and a low breeze rustled through it.Twilight's horn flared and they teleported away.

A voice echoed through the room. "Did they abandon you? I tried to-" It was cut off by Paladin's. "No, they haven't. Your honeyed words won't touch me. I am not a puppet for you to manipulate."

"That's great, but your friends are fools if they think they can take me on. I am Lord Chaos and I shall rule the world!" Chaos started to laugh, but Paladin wasn't listening. He was concentrating on teleporting.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Twilight's group teleported into the ruins of the library. Outside Chaos was orchestrating a whirlwind of madness. Everything had gone mad. The buildings were twisted and in ruins. The ponies were going crazy. At the centre of the whirlwind stood Chaos, laughing maniacally.

While the Alicorns tried to deal with the disorderly mess caused by Chaos, the six ponies approached him. He turned and began to laugh. "Is this your pathetic attempt at a joke? You six could never beat me. I am God. I am unstoppable and you, my little ponies, shall die." Shadows in their hundreds, all sharpened to a lethal point, flew at the group.

But not one made contact. All were stopped by a blue force field, created by Paladin who had just teleported in front of them. "Nopony dies today Chaos."

Chaos laughed again. "You don't stand a chance. Even if you possess all six Elements of Harmony, I possess the Elements of Chaos. We are even. It would require a seventh Element to beat me and you don't have one." He tossed another wave of shadow spikes, which were stopped once again by Paladin's shield.

"You know, you've become more and more like our Father every day. He too was a hero, in his own way. I am curious though, why do you fight me Paladin? Why do you fight your own brother?"

Paladin recoiled, his face shocked. "That's not possible, my brother died!" But there was no conviction in his voice. He was back in Manehatten, when Discord had invaded. The building was falling, and Concord was going to be crushed. Only now there was a blue unicorn, pulling Concord-

No, that didn't-

The unicorn was pulling him out of the way. Concord was-

That never-

Concord was safe. Discord was watching with amusement. Suddenly Concord was clutching at his neck, as he was dragged into the air. He vanished in a puff of black smoke.

No, that didn't... That didn't happen...

But Paladin knew the truth and had been telling himself a lie all these years.

"So you do know the truth. Let it be known for all ponies to hear. I am Lord Chaos, I was once called Concordia and I am Paladin's brother! I was not crushed by some building, I escaped and joined with the Elements of Chaos. And Paladin saw it all!"

Twilight looked at him, shock and confusion etched into her face. "But I thought your brother died defending ponies."

Paladin stood there, frozen. His thoughts were chaotic, unfocused. Chaos can't be telling the truth! But I saw him disappear. Unless that puff of black smoke was Chaos taking him... In which case Concord did die then, and he was replaced by Chaos. Finally, Paladin nodded. "He did, this abomination is not my brother. My brother died defending others. When he died, this was born." The malice was thick in his voice.

Deep in Paladin's mind the windigo stirred. All of Paladin’s rage, hate and, which had been funneled into windigo and lay dormant in his mind, was unleashed by this final insult. In his mind, the windigo stood, and it began to turn all of the negative emotions into energy. It's voice spoke to Paladin. "I don’t know what you thought I was, but I now know. I am the embodiment of your dark side. It’s time to show this ‘God’ whose boss."

Paladin looked directly at Chaos. "You’re wrong Chaos. We may not have a seventh Element, but we have me. And I’m all that we need to beat you, you sorry excuse for a god." He reared back, his body warping and changing. His mane and tail burst into fire, and a pair of fiery wings erupted from his sides. Around his body the Armor of the Night flickered into reality, and his body expanded until he was the same size as Chaos.

Paladin brought his hooves slamming down on the earth, sending huge cracks through it. "We are the... um... Warrior, yeah. We are the Warrior and we’re gonna love and tolerate the crap outta you." Paladin spoke with two voices, one his own, the second a voice that sounded like a fire raging. It crackled and spat, but was warm and gentle.

"We stand against you." Chaos tried everything to penetrate the shield created by Paladin, but it all for naught; it was indestructible, buffered by years of rage and pain. Together the seven ponies rose into the air and unleashed the Elements. The rainbow blasted upwards and then descended, slamming into Chaos.

The rainbow wound itself around him, glowing brighter and brighter. It stopped, and formed a tight ball around him. Finally, the rainbow exploded outwards, illuminating the entire town. From inside the fading light, Chaos could be seen looking at himself, before he sat down, completely unaffected by the blast. "Um, shouldn't he be like, stone?" Rainbow asked, confused as everypony else. The two Alicorns flew down to the scene of the brawl.

"What's going on? Why is he still here?" Luna asked her sister. Celestia shook her head.

Chaos started to laugh uncontrollably, before quickly cutting the sound of and reasserting himself. "I told you once before, my pathetic ponies. The brighter the light, the darker the shadows." He blasts of darkness at them, but Paladin blocked them.

"You cannot beat me. I've been watching you, moving the pieces into position. This has been one huge game of chess, you were all nothing but pawns. And now it's time for checkmate." Chaos' arrogant voice echoed throughout Ponyville.

"You forget one very important thing, Chaos." Paladin's voice rang out, clear and strong. "I’m still in the game. And now, it’s time to make my own move."

He lifted himself into the air. Around him a ball of dark blue energy built up. Slowly, it shrunk, the energy growing darker and darker, before it turned a brilliant white. Finally, he could hold it no longer. It blasted outwards, enveloping everything it touched in a glorious glow. His voice echoed out. "True, that the brighter the light the darker the shadows, but what happens when the light is everywhere? Then there is no place for darkness."

The light turned white and Chaos screamed. The other six Elements of Harmony lifted themselves into the air, and the light changed again, becoming a rainbow of colors.

Chaos screamed again as the light faded. The Elements touched the ground and watched. Even now, Chaos resisted the energy. Some of his body was stone, but he was still there. “It will take more than that to stop me.” He laughed, then started to cough. “My, you’ve done well. But, I’m not finished yet. Meet me in the old castle of the royal family. I’ll be waiting.” And with that he vanished.

“Um...Ok, what just happened?” Twilight looked at the princesses for an answer. Celestia looked as confused as her and Luna was looking at Paladin. "Princess Luna, what's the matter?"

She turned around. "He never mentioned he was the brother of the Elements of Chaos. Nor did he mention he had that kind of power."

"I'm right here." Paladin called out from behind her.

"Maybe he has other secrets..."

"Seriously, please stop ignoring me."

"I think we should use-"

"We are not using that spell." Celestia cut her off. "That spell is too dangerous."

"If you keep ignoring me, I'll go fight Chaos by myself." Paladin smiled as a new thought entered his head. "Or better still..." His horn burnt brilliantly with a dark blue light, and the eight ponies around him were surrounded in the same coloured aura. All of them turned to face him. Celestia was the first to speak.

"What are you doing?"

"Mass... teleportation... spell..." Suddenly the light around his horn exploded outwards, and all nine ponies vanished.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The front of the castle was lit by a blue light, and nine ponies dropped to the ground. "Ugh, I'm never doing that again." Paladin moaned.

"I'm glad to see you all made it, come inside." Chaos' voice echoed through the forest. "Hurry now, you wouldn't want to keep me waiting, would you?"

The sun goddess stared at the castle. "But, this castle was destroyed. How does it stand once more?"

"It was Paladin. He performed some weird magic, and then the castle was restored." Twilight said.

"It wasn't special magic, it was a simple restoration spell."

"Restoration spell? I've never heard of it." Twilight looked at him, confused.

"You speak of ancient magic, not used in centuries, and only known by the... windigos."

That's right, I helped you!

"It appears the windigo in my head helped me."

My name, for future reference is Artemis.

"Says his name is Artemis."

"Artemis?” Celestia tapped her chin. “An old name, but a good name."

Suddenly an annoyed howl ripped through the forest. "Are you coming inside or not?"

"Looks like we're wanted inside." Luna stated, with absolutely no sarcasm in her voice.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

They entered the throne room, to find Chaos sitting on the throne, a painting of four smiling Alicorns behind him. "Do you like the painting? I feel it's a bit too happy, but then again, it didn't last long, did it my little Tia?"

"You truly are a monster. How dare you bring that up!" Celestia glared with absolute hate burning in her eyes.

"Oh I should probably explain for the rest of you. This painting is the two Princesses and their parents. The tall midnight-blue Alicorn is their father, King Solace. He's been chained in death ever since 'certain' events. The alabaster one is Queen Aria. She disappeared several years after the King was trapped. Nopony knows where she went. They were quite pathetic if you ask me." His laugh was cut short as more of his body turned to stone. Now more than half of it had been transmuted.

But nopony responded. The mane six, and Paladin, were staring at the apocalyptic looks on Celestia's and Luna's faces. Luna's eyes began to glow, and her body began to warp and change. "You will pay Chaos!" Her voice had changed to that of Nightmare Moon.

Celestia's mane and tail had turned to Sunfire and her eyes glowed with an angry light. She growled, but it was cut short as shadows tore their way through the ground and slammed the Princess' heads together. They collapsed to the ground, Luna returning to normal size and Celestia's mane and tail becoming their normal, rainbow appearance.

Chaos dragged himself forward, his back legs screeching across the ground, and one stone wing folded uselessly against his body. "Those two focus far too much on offense and not enough on defense."

Paladin ran over to the unconscious Princesses and checked their pulses. He sighed. "They're fine, just unconscious." He scanned them quickly with his magic. "No brain damage either." He turned to Chaos. "Well, now what?"

"What do mean, now what?"

"I want to know if you're going to do anything else stupid before I love and tolerate the crap outta you."

"You were serious about that? Huh. Then come at me bro." Chaos grinned at him.

Paladin walked back over to the mane six and told them his plan. They nodded and Paladin closed his eyes. His horn flared brightly. The other Elements of Harmony were lifted into the air and shot their magic into the air.

This is a really bad idea. Artemis’ voice echoed in his head.

Paladin smiled. I know.

You're basing this whole plan on a theory.

Don’t forget a hope that it won't backfire.

...This cannot end well.

The rainbow descended, but instead of striking Chaos, it struck Paladin. The energy flowed into him through his horn, and when he opened his eyes, they were rainbows. His previously white coat was now a constantly changing rainbow of colours. He started to cough. "This *cough* probably wasn't *cough* the best idea." He tried to step forward, but instead, he collapsed. "Apparently one pony *cough* isn't supposed to hold the energy of the - argh - Elements of Harmony in their body." He chuckled dryly before breaking into a coughing fit.

"What did you hope to achieve?" Chaos starred as Paladin's body was wracked in agony. "Surely you would've thought about this a little better?" For a second, there was actual concern in his voice. "Paladin you're a fool." Chaos' eyes changed colour, becoming a dark green. "Paladin? What's going on? Where are we? Oh my gosh are you ok?"

As the stream of questions flew from his mouth, Chaos dragged himself over to Paladin's crippled body. He knelt as best he could and lifted Paladin's head. Suddenly his eyes were blood-red again. "Oh, very clever. Use your agony to draw out the pony I possessed. What are you-?"

Paladin pulled his body up and hugged Chaos. "Transferring magic. Checkmate." a huge blast echoed through the empty castle, and Paladin and Chaos were flung backwards. Chaos slammed into the painting, and both he and it came tumbling down.

Paladin on the other hoof was caught by Twilight. She looked at him nervously. "Are you okay?"

He nodded slowly. "I think so, but for future reference, absorbing that kind of magic is-" He dropped to the ground, blood dripping out of his mouth.

"Paladin!"

He slowly climbed to his hooves. "I'm ok. I think that was just a side-effect." He wiped the blood off and looked at the throne. Chaos stood there, all four of his legs and both of his wings turned to stone. He was grinning like a maniac.

"That was quite the trick, one worthy of a prize. I'm thinking... Death of a marefriend?" He laughed, and with a flick of his head, a huge stone spike was sent hurtling towards Twilight.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Only to shatter on Paladin's shield. "Really, that's your final attempt? A bit weak - wait why are you still smiling?" He spun to see the ground under Twilight's hooves begin to crack. He leapt forward, pushing Twilight out of harms way, just as the spike erupted out the ground and forced itself all the way through the Armor of the Night and Paladin, before disintegrating.

He dropped to the ground, blood pouring everywhere. He looked down at the gaping hole in his chest. You know, I thought that would've hurt more.

You're dying. I doubt you'll feel anything anymore. You have a minute at best, thanks to the residual magic from the Elements. I’m sorry Paladin, there’s nothing I can do. I have no idea how to fix something this big, I wouldn’t even know where to begin. I have to go, I’m sorry. I can't die here. I'll find you again one day, I promise. And with that, Artemis was gone.

Paladin forced his head up, to see the crying face of Twilight. "Twilight, I'm sorry." his voice was husky, dry.

"Why would you be sorry?"

"I failed to make it." He closed his eyes, and it a fair effort to open them again. "Twilight, move on. I'll be dead in the next few seconds anyway. Just remember that I will always love you." He lifted his head, and his lips brushed hers, before his eyes closed and he lay still.

Twilight began to sob softly, as she pulled Paladin close, her head buried in his neck. Chaos still had his insane grin, even as his snout turned to stone. As this happened, a blast of rainbow magic spread outwards, undoing all the chaos. Paladin's body shrunk back to it's normal size now, and the princesses were stirring.

But Twilight was oblivious to all of this, too lost in sorrow.