• Published 12th May 2014
  • 862 Views, 16 Comments

Manufactured Emotions - Bright Keys



Volt Spark has finally completed his masterpiece: a pegasus robot that can think and learn for itself. Now the machine must make his way through a world he knows nothing about.

  • ...
0
 16
 862

A Study In The Rain

When Alpha woke up the next morning, he looked for Volt Spark after his diagnostic.

It took a while, but eventually he found him in the laboratory, sorting through a bucket of mismatched wires and metal bits. He didn’t seem to notice the pegasus walk in.

Alpha looked around, trying to find a way to get Volt's attention, but eventually settled with "um, Volt?"

“Hm?” the unicorn lifted his head and rubbed his eyes, squinting back at him. Eventually, he seemed to realize who he was speaking with and smiled. “Ah, Alpha, how may I help you?”

"I was wondering if I could go out into town today." He said. "I have the book you gave me with me."

“Yes, sure, just… stay out of trouble, okay?” He closed his eyes and massaged his forehead with a hoof, smiling back at Alpha after a second.

"Is something wrong?" Alpha asked.

“What? Oh, no, my son, go along and play with your friends.” He smiled reassuringly.

"Okay." Alpha said, leaving the room and heading out the door.

As soon as he stepped out, he found Omega right in front him. She was fiddling with her saddle bags when she saw him.

“Oh, hi,” she said flatly.

"You're outside." Alpha observed.

“Wow, good work, Sherclop,” she snorted in a voice that he recognized as sarcasm.

"What brings you out?" Alpha asked.

“I have to go into town and shop for Volt.” She turned and plodded down the hill towards town.

Alpha stood in front of the door, pondering the sudden decision placed before him. Eventually he decided to head into town, making his way to a bench where he sat down and began to read his book.

After a while, a hoof tapped him on the shoulder, coughing respectfully.

Alpha looked up, the lenses in his eyes adjusting to the change.

Before him stood a purple unicorn, smiling brightly.

“May I ask what book you’re reading?” she said.

"Volt Spark told me it was a complete history of Equestria." Alpha replied.

“Not The Complete History of Equestria by Maybell Featherquill? I love that book!” She took a seat beside him on the bench.

"What's your name?" Alpha asked.

“I am Twilight Sparkle, Celestia’s student positioned here on an assignment,” she said.

"Can I help?" Alpha asked.

“My assignment is to learn about friendship, so if we can become friends that would be fine.” She smiled brightly, her eyes squinting cutely.

"My current goal is to learn more about... everything really." Alpha said. "Do I recognize your name?" He said after a few seconds.

“You might,” she shrugged, “but from what I gathered from Pinkie, you were only activated a few days ago.” She shifted position and then spoke again, “You said you wanted to learn about everything really?”

"Yes, I do. I want to fit in more in this town, and if it means making friends, I'm more than happy to." Alpha said.

“Well, I’d be happy to help!” she said, “If you ever want to get a good book, you can stop by the library. I live there, so I’ll help you find whatever you’re looking for.”

"I'll remember that." Alpha said.

Just then, Omega approached looking extremely peeved. She stopped in front of him.

“There you are! What’s wrong with you? Because of your stunt yesterday, I can’t buy the stuff on Volt’s grocery list!” She stomped her hoof on the ground and glared at him.

"Oops?" Alpha said.
“Duh, oops!” she shouted, “most of the stores in town don’t allow robots anymore!”
“That’s horrible!” Twilight cried. Omega seemed to notice her for the first time now.
“You!” she cried, “Leave me alone!”

"She hasn't done anything to you." Alpha said. "I'll see what I can do sometime today."

“Hasn’t done anything to me?” Omega snorted, “She wouldn’t stop blabbing in my ear at your party the other night! She should learn to mind her own business.”

"She's been very nice." Alpha said "maybe this is just another experience thing. Anyway, I'll apologize to the pony I stole from later, then everything should go back to normal. See, easy. But in the meantime, my goal is to learn and that's what I want to do today. I want to interact with as many ponies in this town as I can."

“Fine,” she growled, shoving her saddlebag into his chest, “inside are some bits and the shopping list. Don’t buy anything that’s not on the list, got it? I’m going home.”

“Got it.” Alpha said, waiting for Omega to walk away before staring at the saddlebags weirdly.

“Here,” Twilight offered, positioning them on his back and under his wings.

“Thanks.” Alpha said.

“You’re welcome. Why don’t you head down to the store. I’ll be at the library if you need me.”

“Sure. I think I can handle that.” Alpha said.

“Alright, see you around!” she smiled, trotting off with a backward glance.

Alpha waved after her before looking at the list Omega gave him. It didn’t take long before his smile fell as he realized he had no clue where he could find any of the things on the list. “Well, it seems like I have a wrong to right.” He said, “maybe I should start there.” He walked over to a random pony and asked, “where can I find the quills and sofas store?”

“Over that way,” the stallion pointed.

“Thank you.” Alpha said, walking over to where the stallion pointed.

As he entered, the shopkeeper looked up and glared. “No, no, no. Out, out, out! Didn’t you see the sign? No robots allowed in my store!”

“I wanted to say I’m sorry.” Alpha said.

“You stole from me, you can’t just expect me to forgive you. It’s going to take a while.”

“Well, I didn’t know about stealing then, but I do now.” Alpha said.

“A likely story.”

“I only know what I’m told.” Alpha said.

“Well, once you can get some pony to convince me, the sign will stay in my window.”

“That shouldn’t be too hard.” Alpha said. “My creators can vouch for me.”

“Alright then,” he said, “as soon as that happens, you can come in, but until then, no robots.”

“Could you at least tell me where I can find some of the shops on my list?” Alpha asked.
“Fine, but I wouldn't expect any treatment other than what you‘ve received here.” He proceeded to give Alpha directions to all of the shops on his list. However, once he had been to all of the shops, he had only been able to pick up three of the items on his list. He walked in a downtrodden manner to the library that Twilight pointed out earlier and knocked on the door.
Twilight answered. “Oh, hi Alpha!” she smiled, “What’s up? Everything okay?” She frowned as she noticed his posture.

“I made a mistake.” Alpha said. “And now I can’t get the things on the list that Volt Spark needs.”

“Is there a way I could help?” she asked, “Maybe I could get the stuff for you.”

“That would be nice.” Alpha said. “I’m sure once Volt Spark talks to them everything will be fine.”

“Alright, give me the list, I’ll go get the stuff. Why don’t you stay here and read a bit while I’m gone?” She levitated the list out of his pack.
“I’ll do that.” Alpha said, walking over to a shelf.

“Okay, I’ll be back within the hour,” she said, looking over the list. She left the library, leaving Alpha alone with his thoughts and the books.
Alpha took several books off the shelf and set them down on the table, taking out his own copy of The Complete History of Equestria.
“Who.” Something in the corner shifted.

Alpha looked up from his book, wondering who else was in the library with him.

“Who.” After a second, an owl fluttered out onto the table.

“Alpha.” Alpha said, looking at the owl.

“Who.”

“Alpha.” Alpha repeated, slowly moving a hoof to touch the owl.

“Who.” The owl pulled back a bit.

“My name is Alpha. What’s yours?”

This conversation lasted a few minutes before Alpha heard another noise and looked over to see its origin.

“Don’t even bother,” said a young dragon as he came down the stairs, just a baby really, “that’s all he can really say.” He was holding a bunch of comics under his arm and he set them on the table. He began to read one titled Power Ponies: The Return of the Mane-iac.

Alpha stared at the newcomer. “Hi,” he said, “my name is Alpha.”

“I’m Spike,” he said absently.

“Who.” Spike shook his head with a groan.

“What are you reading?” Alpha asked.

“Just some Power Pony comics,” he said, “Ever read one?” His nose remained buried in the comic.

“No, I haven’t.” Alpha said. “what’s a Power Pony?”

“They’re super heroes that live in this city called Maretropolis,” Spike looked up from his comic.

"What's Maretropolis?" Alpha asked.

“Here,” Spike sighed, “take this.” He handed him a comic from the pile. “This is the first one, it’s called Power Ponies: Rise of Colt Front. You’ll love it.” He returned to reading.

Alpha took the comic and set it on top of the stack of books he'd collected for reading. After a few minutes and chapters later, Twilight returned carrying everything on the list in her saddle bag.

“Hey, Alpha,” she smiled, “I got all the stuff on your list.” She proceeded to read it off and place everything on the table once she had named it.

"Thank you Twilight." Alpha said. "Spike was just telling me about this book he's reading."

“That’s great,” she smiled. “It’s getting a bit late, maybe you should head home.”

"Alright." Alpha said, putting the history book back in his storage compartment.

“Thanks for coming,” she smiled, “I’ll keep this stack of books separate for you.”

“Who.”

“Whatever.”

"Thank you Twilight." Alpha said, putting Omega's saddlebags back on and trying to put the items in it.

“You’re welcome. Good bye, Alpha! See you tomorrow!”

Alpha made his way to the door, but before he could open it, a booming noise was heard overhead.

“What was that?” Alpha asked.

“Thunder, that means it’ll rain soon,” she said, “You should hurry home. No pony likes to get caught in the rain.”

Alpha nodded and went outside as the rain began and made his way back to the lab. He stopped for a moment on the edge of town, watching the rain as it fell around him, and even lifting a hoof to watch the rain land on it. It pooled and rolled off of his hooves, spilling onto the ground and forming puddles on the grass. It was cool feeling and it smelled fresh and clean. Alpha smiled at this scene he’d just watched, and continued standing in the rain, taking in the cloudy sky, listening close to the sounds of the world around him. Then there was a bright flash in the clouds above as a jagged light forked from above. Moments later a large boom like he had heard before tumbled through the sky. It was amazing. Alpha didn’t understand why Twilight said nopony liked to get caught in the rain.

After a while of watching this scene, he decided to go back to the lab, placing Omega’s saddlebags clumsily onto the table.

“Where have you been?” Omega asked. He turned to see her leaning against the doorway to the kitchen, legs crossed.

“Reading.” Alpha said.

“You took forever,” she growled, “And that rain. I’ll bet you half that stuff you bought is ruined now! You’re so… so… Ugh!” She turned and stormed off.

“I’m so what?” Alpha called after her. No response. The door to the library could be heard slamming closed. Alpha shrugged and walked, still dripping wet, into the lab where he hoped to find Volt Spark. The unicorn was hard at work, welding the metal frame for a new robot. Sparks flew above and beside him, but his mask, leather apron and heavy gloves kept him safe. He paused and sat up, lifting the mask and wiping the perspiration from his brow.

“I’m back Volt Spark.” Alpha said, sitting on the floor.

“Oh, hello, Alpha!” he smiled, taking off his welding gear and trotting over, “Oh, my, you’re soaking wet. We should get you dried off.” He took a dirty rag out of his pocket with his magic and began to dry his robot creation.

Alpha looked clearly displeased at having the dirty rag wiping him down, but he sat still anyway.

“There you go,” Volt said as he finished. Then he glanced at his watch. “Oh, my, I should probably eat dinner and then go to bed. It’s quite late.” He put the rag back in his pocket and went to the kitchen to fix himself a daisy sandwich.

Copperwire walked in the lab, taking Alpha’s right ear off as he went past.
“I need this,” he said, “you probably should stay out of here for a while, don’t ask why, just trust me.”
Alpha nodded and walked out of the lab, and made his way to the library. He wanted to know the name for the feelings he felt in the rain.

Alpha looked out of the window in his room, watching the rain as the day came to an end. He had learned the feelings were called happiness and enjoyment among others. He looked at the clock on a table next to his bed, and decided it was time to power down for the night

Author's Note:

This is the last chapter for a few weeks! I won't be home to post!