• Published 7th Oct 2014
  • 1,078 Views, 92 Comments

A Series of Unlikely Occurrences - XYZDreadnought



Sometimes its through the strangest of happenings that we meet those dearest to us.

  • ...
8
 92
 1,078

Chapter Twelve - Meeting the Folks

Snowy sat on the bed that was, until further notice, hers, and applied her thoughts to the current situation. Pleasingly, it was a rather simple one compared to her other current problems, but was one which could go very wrong for her if she didn’t give it careful consideration.

Namely, Paradox’s parents were coming back to the house, apparently having been away for the weekend on their anniversary. While she had Paradox’s blessings to stay, his parents were an unknown factor and, as his parents, their word could overrule his. So if she wanted to stay, she would have to make sure to be in their good graces. The only question was, how best to go about this?

Tact was the key, something Snowy did not have a lot of, but she could summon it up if need be. She did not know what kind of people Paradox’s parents where, so she would just have to be polite and keep a stiff upper lip.

But not too polite…’ Snowy thought to herself. That was important, if she was polite enough to seem fake, it might give them a false impression of her, and might lead to them changing their minds later should they find she was not as she first seemed. Besides, they will most likely ask Paradox and the butler for their impressions of her, and she wouldn’t want herself to differ too strongly from their accounts.

As long as they're reasonable people who don’t mind a complete stranger in their house… Which most reasonable people would mind… but they were the kind of people who adopted alien babies, so I can hope. Then all I need to do is keep a cordial demeanor while keeping it formal and with a degree of detachment, that should be presentable enough, not too different from what I’ve displayed thus far, and an easy enough facade to maintain, and with a little luck I’ll be able to stay either until I find a way home or a better opportunity presents itself.

There, a concrete plan which, barring unforeseen factors, should work, provided she could keep her temper in check.

She sighed. “So simple it makes me nervous.”

Deciding she should at least freshen up a bit, she took a shortcut to the nearest bathroom, and summoned a bottle of her favourite shampoo.


“What should I do, what should I say?” said Paradox, pacing in his room, while Walter stood to one side observing.

“Sir, I do believe you are overreacting,” said Walter, flatly.

“But, but, my parents will be here soon!” Paradox wailed.

“And? Its not as if you have done anything wrong,” said Walter, “unless you count eating half a tub of ice cream by yourself, but I think you are well beyond the age you can be scolded for that.”

“But, Snowy…” said Paradox, trailing off.

“Sir, if I may be so bold, you are acting like you are introducing your girlfriend,” Walter said, causing Paradox to freeze and blush up a storm. “Despite her appearance, Miss Bitterfrost is a grown woman, and is capable of looking after herself, and despite what I have said about her previously, she seems perfectly capable of keeping a civil tongue when she has the mind. You need not worry about your parents.”

Paradox shuffled his hooves. “I guess you're right… It’s just, I have so many questions, she’s likely the only pony I’ll ever meet… Is it selfish to want to keep her around for that?”

Walter considered this. “Somewhat, but but I hardly think anyone would think any less of you for it. In your situation, many would do the same. Just understand she is not here forever, regardless of what your parents say, one day she will probably find a way home and she will take it, most likely without so much as a backward glance. I advise not getting too attached.”

Paradox sighed. “I guess…”

Walter ruffled Paradox’s mane. “No need to be so glum, I have the feeling that Snowy won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. You never know what might happen between now and then, I might be entirely wrong about her. Either way, you should get ready for your parents coming back, you know your mother doesn’t like it when you're upset.”

“Okay,” said Paradox, managing a smile, “And Walter… Thanks for looking out for me.”

“My pleasure, sir,” said Walter, “Now I must prepare for your parents’ return, I shall inform you when they arrive.”

With that Walter left Paradox to his own devices. He tried to find Snowy to talk to her, but she was not in her room, so he just assumed she will turn up when she needs too, and went about his business.


Later that day...


On the winding road approaching the manor, the parents in question were making their way home.

“I mean, could you believe what that man was wearing?” Rachelle giggled, “Do you think he had any idea how silly he looked?”

“I think he had a pretty good idea,” replied Arthur, eyes on the road. “It's pretty hard to accidentally dress up as a skeleton, don’t you think?”

“I suppose,” said Rachelle, “It was good costume though, I wonder why he was wearing it.”

“Couldn’t say, maybe he was on his way to some sort of convention.”

They lapsed into a companionable silence for a while as they drove , the manor on its hill becoming visible in the distance as they rounded a corner.

“I wonder how Paradox is doing,” wondered Rachelle aloud.

Arthur rolled his eyes good-naturedly. “I imagine he’s doing just as well as the last time you asked.”

“But how was he then?” persisted Rachelle.

“Honestly, you worry too much, Paradox isn’t a kid anymore, he can survive a few days alone every now and then.”

“Him being alone is exactly what I’m worried about,” sighed Rachelle.

Arthur’s smile faltered, before sighing alongside his wife. “Right…”

“I mean it can’t be healthy, can it? To be cooped up in a house his whole life, with the amount of people he knows being able to be counted on one hand? Can it?”

“We did everything we could, we gave him every opportunity to be happy, not every parent can say the same,” said Arthur. They’d had this conversation before.

“I know, but sometimes I wish there was something more we could do.”

“Hey now,” said Arthur, “we’re nearly back, don’t look so glum, we don’t want Paradox to think we’ve had a bad time, do we?”

Rachelle managed to smile again. “I do get introspective at the weirdest times, don’t I?”

Arthur gave a chuckle as they pulled into the driveway, the gate opening before them. “That you do sweetheart, that you do.”

They parked the car in the garage at the base of the hill, before taking a leisurely walk up the hill to the manor.

As they walked past the various garden beds that Rachelle had planted over the years, she noticed something odd.

“Dear… since when have we kept koi?”


“Welcome back sir and madam, how was your trip?” said Walter, opening the door right on cue.

“Thank you Walter, our trip went very well,” said Arthur, putting his bags down in the entrance hall floor.

Rachelle however kept looking over her shoulder and out the door.

“Is there a problem, ma’am?” said Walter, concerned.

This brought Rachelle back to the present. “What? Oh, no I’m fine, it's just that…”

“It’s the fish pond, isn’t it?” Walter deadpanned.

Rachelle started. “Why yes, that's what I wanted to ask about, why do we…?”

“I’m afraid that will have to wait, as I do not fully understand how that came about myself,” said Walter. “Regardless, Paradox wanted to speak with you when we got back, on an important matter. Care to wait in the living room while I go and fetch him? I shall take up your luggage as well.”

“What sort of matter?” said Arthur, raising his eyebrow.

“I think Paradox would rather tell you himself, so if you will just wait a moment he will be down shortly.” With that, Walter picked up their joined luggage and smartly carried it upstairs.

Rachelle and Arthur looked each other in confusion.

They didn't have time to dwell on these unusual circumstances, as not moments after Walter disappeared from view, Paradox all but tumbled down the stairs, landing unsteadily in front of his parents.

“Uh, hi Mum, hi Dad… How was your trip?” said Paradox, awkwardly.

“It was fine Sweetie… Walter said you had something to tell us?” said Rachelle, concerned at Paradox’s nervousness.

“Ah, well you see…” said Paradox, before his train of thought derailed. He tried again, “Well recently,” his brain froze again, it tried desperately to try and describe the current situation, but it had all happened so fast, he had no idea where to begin.

“Are you alright sweetie?” said Rachelle, kneeling down to her son's level. “What's gotten you so nervous?” She gave a little gasp. “No one's seen you have they?”

“Well, um, kind of?” said Paradox, rubbing the back of his neck.

“What?!” said Arthur, also kneeling down, and putting his hands on Paradox’s shoulders in alarm, “Who were they, what did they look like, did they have a camera, please tell me they didn’t take pictures!”

“Err, well, um.” said Paradox, rapidly losing control of the situation.

A feminine sigh could be heard from up the stairs. “Well, as it seems that my host is incapable of explaining himself, I might as well introduce myself before any more conclusions can be jumped to.”

All eyes turned to the stairs as Snowy descended, slowly, as her body was not designed for such a steep incline, hopping down each step in a manner that she hoped was still dignified.

Even Paradox was startled, for there was something different about Snowy, Her white coat was absolutely pristine, and expertly groomed so as to be completely smooth, without a single hair out of place. She had applied some eyeshadow, the same colour as her eyes, and had groomed her eyelashes. And then there was her mane, while the past few days it had been rather disheveled, now it practically shimmered and shone, with a gentle undulation and styled into the point of being pristine, and as she moved it seemed to flow behind her, as if it hardly weighed a thing.

Indeed, to say Paradox was surprised was an understatement.

Arthur initial reaction was shock, both at someone unknown in his house, and at the fact of a very similar creature to his own son, next came a slight relief at the fact that it was another one of his kind that had spotted Paradox, not a human, then came curiosity. Who was this pony (as Paradox had taken to calling himself)? What were they doing here? Is it female or simply female sounding? Considering it had a horn rather than wings, was it even the same species?

As Snowy reached the bottom step however, only one thought occupied Rachelles mind.

“Oh my god it's so precious and tiny!” she squeed, before rushing over.

All Snowys Mental gears grind to a halt. ‘Did she just- whoa Snowy reign it in- But she- Remember I am here to make a good impression- But- it’s not an insult, at least not intentionally- She- I don’t need this right now- Are you even gonna let me get a word in edgewise?- No- Fine I’ll be in the corner mourning the loss of my dignity- why?- Because she just picked me up.

Snowy rubber banded back into reality so fast that her head spun. She was vaguely aware of being cradled in the woman’s arms.

With a noise not unlike a distressed cat, Snowy shot out of Rachelle’s arms like she was on a spring, before landing like a mountain goat on the post at the end of the stairs banister.

Rachelle’s hand flew to her mouth, “Oh, I’m sorry, did I startle you? Sometimes I can’t help myself around cute-” Snowy stopped her by raising her hoof.

“Just... Just don’t say anything, give me a minute,” she hissed through clenched teeth.

What followed was a minute of awkward silence as Snowy performed breathing exercises from the top of the banister. When she finally felt in control of her emotions again, she hopped off and gently floated down to the floor.

She turned to Rachelle. “While I... appreciate the implied compliment, I would be thankful if you never did that again.”

“Oh, okay… Sorry.” said Rachelle, taken aback by the stiff demeanour.

What followed was a bit more silence. As usual, it was up to Snowy to break it.

“Well Paradox, aren't you going to introduce me?”

“Oh right,” said Paradox, “These are my parents, Rachelle and Arthur. Mum, Dad, this is Snowy Bitterfrost.”

“Charmed,” said Snowy curtly, giving a respectful nod. “I am thankful for the assistance your son has rendered during my current situation.”

“Um, likewise, I suppose,” said Arthur, “If I might ask, what assistance was he rendered?”

Paradox rubbed the back of his neck again, that was gonna take some explaining...

Author's Note:

Four whole Months... and it was shorter than I wanted it to be.

...Thanks, for putting up with me.

Edited by the ever helpful m2pt5