• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 1,682 Views, 15 Comments

The Story of Fluttershy - Rarityfan87



Today is the third Friendaversary for Twilight. She goes to visit Fluttershy to celebrate. As she talks to Fluttershy, she realizes she doesn't know much about her. Twilight decides to ask Fluttershy about her life,

  • ...
2
 15
 1,682

The Story of Fluttershy

The Story of Fluttershy
By: Rarityfan87

“Today’s the three year anniversary of the day I met my best friends here in Ponyville. It feels like it was only yesterday.” Twilight said, as she was looking through a scrapbook of pictures of her, Spike and her friends.

“Time flies by when you’re having a great time.”

“Speaking of time, how long before I have to be at Fluttershy’s?”

“Twenty minutes.” Spike announced, looking at the clock.

“Great, I’d better get ready, I don’t want to be late.”

Twilight did her usual routine when getting ready for the day. She finished up, just giving her enough time to make it to Fluttershy’s on time.

“Alright Spike, I shouldn’t be too long, make sure the library stays picture perfect.”

“I know Twilight, you can count on me.”

“Alright I’ll see you later Spike.”

Twilight teleported in front of Fluttershy’s cabin. She knocked on the door.

“Coming.” She heard… hardly, the voice was so soft. Fluttershy opened the door, revealing Twilight.

“Hello Twilight, please come in. Make yourself at home.”

“Thank you Fluttershy, and happy friendaversary!”

“You as well Twilight.”

The two of them made it to Fluttershy’s couch, taking a seat.

“So how have you been Fluttershy?” Twilight asked, the comfort of the couch embracing her.

“I’ve been great, my animals have been happier recently due to it being spring…”

As Fluttershy continued to talk, Twilight couldn’t help but think about the fact she truly doesn’t know much about Fluttershy. She didn’t know anything about her family, or much else. She noticed Fluttershy giving her a strange look, causing her to snap out of it.

“Say Fluttershy.”

“Yes Twilight?”

“I wanted to ask… if you could tell me about your life.”

“Why would you want to know about me?” Fluttershy was confused. Nopony ever asked her about her life. Nopony seemed to care enough. Fluttershy started to feel happier as she thought of it, somepony actually wanting to know about her, and not just wanting a favour. At the same time, she felt sad. She hated her past, and never wanted to return to those times. However she knew Twilight cared, and besides, she’s a princess now, she has to obey her orders.

“Well… I’ll tell you what I can remember.”

“That sounds great to me Flutteshy.”

“Alright, get comfy, it’s going to be a long story...”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Play with me daddy! Play with me!”

“Alright Fluttershy, alright. Daddy can spare some time from work.” Fluttershy’s dad said, placing his quill down, and placing the papers in the ‘done’ pile.

“Yay! Let’s play with the red ball!”

“Alright Fluttershy, go get the ball, and I’ll meet you outside.”

“Alright dad!” Excited, Fluttershy ran to the closet and retrieved the ball. She ran outside, where she saw her dad.

“Are you ready daddy?”

“Throw the ball sweetie.”

Fluttershy threw the ball, her dad hit it lightly with his hoof, so it would be easy for Fluttershy to hit it back. They continued, slowly hitting harder, increasing their distance, until Fluttershy’s dad hit it too hard, causing it to go quite far. Fluttershy turned around, facing her dad. She started crying, her dad ran up to her.

“I’m so sorry Fluttershy.” He said as he hugged her.

“I loved that ball daddy. It was our special ball. Only for us to play games with it, not even mom can touch it. I always use it when I’m sad, or I miss you daddy.”

“How about we go looking for it? I’m sure we’ll find it!” Fluttershy stopped crying, but her face showed she was still sad.

“Alright daddy…” Deep down, Fluttershy thought it was gone forever.

“Alright, get on daddy’s back.” He picked up Fluttershy and placed her on his back.

They searched the neighborhood for twenty minutes. He was about to give up, when he saw something red in the corner of his eye. He turned and indeed it was her ball.

“Fluttershy look! It’s your ball!” Fluttershy wore the biggest smile she ever wore. Her dad smiled as well, he always loved to see Fluttershy happy. Fluttershy jumped off her dad’s back and ran to grab the ball. Just as she was about to grab it, the owner of the house came out and stood in between Fluttershy and the ball. He was tall for a stallion, average build, and had a short black tail.

“Get off my property!” The stallion yelled, causing Fluttershy to start crying.

“Why do you have to be such a big meanie?”

“Because, you kids are all trouble! All you want to do it break my stuff, and destroy my front yard. Now I’ll take this ball and keep it so you won’t get any ideas to try anything.”

“No! Give me my ball back! It’s my special ball!”

“Tough luck kid, because I don’t care.” Witnessing this, Fluttershy’s dad ran up and blocked the entrance to the stallion’s house. Rage overtaking him after what the stallion did to his daughter.

“Give me my daughter’s ball back… RIGHT…NOW!” Fluttershy’s dad yelled.

“Too bad! Your daughter should have been more careful. She’ll grow up to be a horrible pony any…” Fluttershy’s dad jabbed him hard in the stomach, causing him to fall in pain.

“Don’t you EVER! Talk about my daughter that way, or it will be a lot worse next time. Do you understand?”

“Yes, just take the ball and leave!” The stallion laid there, holding his stomach in pain.

“Thank you.” Fluttershy’s dad walked back to her. He saw her smile again as he brought the ball back. Fluttershy gave her dad a quick hug around his hoof.

“I love you daddy!”

“I love you too Fluttershy, and nothing will change that.” He sat on his hind legs and gave Fluttershy a tight hug, to which Fluttershy returned.

“Was that stallion right about what he said about me?”

“Of course not Fluttershy, you’re my perfect little angel. You’ll grow up to be a great pony.”

“I can always count on my daddy to protect me from mean monsters like him!”

“I will always protect you Fluttershy, you’re my favourite little girl.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I loved my dad… he always put me as number one. I actually still have that special red ball. I never got rid of it, it reminds me of the days when my dad was still around. As for my mom, she was always busy at work, moving the clouds where they needed to go in Equestria. She would have to go from town to town. She was hardly ever home. When she would come home, she would only stay overnight, before having to go to another town. A few years later, my dad brought me to my first day of school…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Alright Fluttershy, today is a special day, it’s your first day of school.”

“But I don’t want to go to school. I want to stay home and take care of my pet bunny.”

“I know you love your bunny Angel, but you have to go to school.”

“I’m not moving.”

“Alright then, I guess I’ll just have to take you!” He grabbed her and placed her on his back.

“I’m taking you to school Fluttershy, you have to go.”

“I won’t go in, I’ll just wait outside.”

“I’m coming in as well, I want to meet your teacher. Now we’re going.” He grabbed Fluttershy’s backpack, and lunch box. He made his way outside, causing Fluttershy to ask a question.

“When will I be able to fly and live with the other pegasi dad?” Fluttershy was looking at the beautiful blue sky, imagining what it must be like to be able to fly.

“When your wings develop a little more, it won’t be too much longer, I promise.” He carried her all the way to school.

“Here we are Fluttershy, The School for Talented Ponies.”

“I don’t like it.”

“Just give it a shot Fluttershy. You can’t possibly know unless you try it first.”

“Alright daddy, I’ll give it a try, but I know I won’t like it.”

“Fillies…” Fluttershy’s dad laughed. He made his way into the classroom. Fluttershy got off of her dad’s back, and looked around the classroom. The classroom wasn’t very large, as they only accepted twenty students. The walls however were covered with posters of calculations, the alphabet, and science jokes that only the teacher found funny. There was also a big chalkboard in the front of the room, with a teacher’s desk next to it. All the desks had a pony’s name on the front, to help the teacher remember the names easily. The two made it to the teacher, to introduce Fluttershy.

“Are you Miss Daisy Meadow?”

“Yes I am, and who might this precious filly be?” She asked, only seeing her pink mane and left wing, as she was hidden behind her dad.

“This is my daughter Fluttershy.” Her dad said, pushing her in view of the teacher.

“Hello Fluttershy, how are you today?”

“I’m good Miss Meadow.” Fluttershy said, shyness in her voice.

“Fluttershy, go ahead and sit at the desk with your name on it. Class is about to start soon.”

“Alright Miss Meadow.” Fluttershy made her way to her desk, her dad followed.

“Alright Fluttershy, be good and listen to Miss Meadow.”

“I will dad.”

“That’s my girl. Now I’ll be here to pick you up at the end of the day.”

“Alright dad.”

“I’ll miss you Fluttershy. Good luck.” Her dad gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Bye Fluttershy.”

“Bye dad.”

Just as her dad left the room, the bell rang.

“Alright students, quiet down, class will begin.”

……………………………………………………………………….


The end of the day bell rang. Fluttershy hurried to pack up her things, and hurried to the door and waited for her dad. To her joy, her dad arrived with a lollipop, and it was her favourite candy colour, red.

“Hi dad!”

“Hey sweetie, here’s a lollipop for being brave and facing your first day of school.” Her dad smiled.

“Thank you daddy, you’re the best!” Fluttershy hugged her dad and grabbed the lollipop, tore the wrapper off and started to enjoy it.

“You’re welcome, now let’s make our way home, I’m sure Angel misses you.” Fluttershy followed her dad, staying close, not wanting to lose him. They made their way home, and Fluttershy ran up to her room as fast as she could. She let Angel out of her cage. She sat on her bed watching Angel doing her usual ‘bunny business’. Fluttershy always enjoyed observing animals. A few minutes later her dad walked in.

“Hey honey, how was your first day of school?”

“It was okay, we learned about counting this morning. I made it all the way to twenty! I ate my lunch, which was great dad. After that, we started to learn our alphabet until school was over.”

“That’s great sweetie. Did you talk to any of your classmates?”

“No.” Fluttershy answer quickly.

“Why not?”

“I don’t think they want anything to do with me. I think I would just bother them.”

“That’s not true Fluttershy, I want you to try tomorrow.”

“Alright dad.”

“Now let’s go through your alphabet and numbers.”

“Yes dad.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“The next day I talked to some of the other fillies, and they were actually nice to me. They talked to me and we actually had a lot in common. Well they talked mostly. I sat there and listened, too shy to contribute a lot to the conversation. At every lunch we would sit together and talk. We never got together after school, I always wanted to just go home and spend time with Angel and dad. My dad didn’t worry too much, he was happy I at least had friends at school. After that not much happened until my eighth birthday. That’s when the greatest thing happened…”


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Happy Eighth birthday Fluttershy!” Her daddy yelled. Fluttershy ran up to her dad, and he gave her, her special hug he always gave her on special occasions.

“I have a special gift for you Fluttershy!” Fluttershy was jumping with excitement, unable to wait to see what her dad got her.

“What is it daddy? I can’t wait! Just tell me already!”

“Hold your horses Fluttershy, if you don’t let me speak, I won’t be able to tell you.” Fluttershy stopped making any sound, and stood there, waiting.

“You’re now… old enough to learn how to fly!” Her dad smiled.

“REALLY?”

“Yes Fluttershy, it’s time.”

“Yay! This is the best day of my life!” She hugged her dad so tight, she was choking him.

“You’re welcome.” Her dad said to the best of abilities from the condition he was in. Fluttershy let go, and he gasped for air.

“Alright meet me outside honey, I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Please hurry dad, I can’t wait!” Fluttershy said as she was running towards the door.

Fluttershy waited about five minutes when she noticed her dad coming outside with an inflatable mattress and leg paddings and a helmet. He begun by inflating the mattress and placing the safety gear on Fluttershy.

“We’re ready to start.”

“Alright dad!” Fluttershy confidently jumped in the air and started to flap her wings…. to which she only glided for five seconds, before falling on the mattress.

“Whoa, are you alright honey?” He helped Fluttershy up.

“Yes dad.” Fluttershy said, sadness in her voice.

“Here honey let me show you how to start.” Fluttershy’s dad helped Fluttershy get in the proper position, and instructed her on how to flap her wings properly and how to stay in the air. Every time Fluttershy tried, she was able to glide longer than the last attempt. Slowly her confidence came back. She felt like she could conquer everything. Every day she practiced, everyday she flew longer, and higher, until eventually… she was able to fly, just like the other fillies.

“I DID IT DAD! I DID IT!” Fluttershy yelled, in her most excited voice.

“You did it honey, I’m so proud of you!” Her dad ran up to her and lifted her in his hooves.

“This means honey that the next school year, were moving to Cloudsdale and you’ll be attending flight school!”

“I can’t wait daddy.”


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“That was the happiest day of my life to this day. I felt great that whole week, the progress showing every time I flew. I continued at that school until that school year was over. A few weeks after the last day of school, my dad and I moved to Cloudsdale. It felt strange at first having to fly everywhere and not being to walk to my destination, but I got used to it quite quickly. The other advantage was, I was able to see my mom a little more often at her job, since the weather factory was closer to our new home. The saddest part was we couldn’t play with that special ball anymore, because it would much easier to lose. Instead my dad and I would play card games in the house. As for his job, he worked at home, so it made the move easier…” Fluttershy was about to finish her sentence when… ‘those’ memories were flooding her mind.

No! I forgot about those, I forced you out of my head. Go away, please… go away. I can’t face you I can’t no! Please… don’t… no… Twilight noticed tears were flowing down Fluttershy’s cheeks. She was almost in the fetal position.

“What’s wrong Fluttershy?” Twilight interrupted.

“I can’t Twilight. Story time is over, I need to go in my bed and forget these memories. I did everything to forget them, and yet they come back in my nightmares every year on this exact day. I… I… don’t want to talk about it.”

“Fluttershy, please tell me. I’m here to help you Fluttershy. You can’t just hold it in, it will only get worse.”

“No Twilight… I can’t tell these to anypony. These are my burdens to carry, and no pony else. I refuse. It’s too difficult to discuss. I haven’t told a single other pony this, not even my friends I met before you. I kept these secrets all my life, and I plan to keep it that way.”

“Fluttershy, as princess, I command you tell me you tell me about these memories!”

“No.”

“You have no choice Fluttershy, it’s a command from your princess.”

“I said no! And if you were my real friend Twilight, you would accept that I don’t want to tell you this. Real friends back off where they’re not wanted, and right now I need you to accept that.”

“What you don’t understand Fluttershy is, if you never tell me this, how am I supposed to really know my friend? Please tell me Fluttershy, I promise to never repeat a single word to anypony, not even Princess Celestia. I’ll even put a sound barrier so only I can hear you. We’ll only be able to communicate to each other.”

“Alright… but you must understand, this is the most difficult time of my life. It will be a very emotional memory. So I need you to just sit there and listen. No interruptions, no matter how important you might think it is. Understand?”

“I promise.” Twilight said, doing the motion along with it. After she did as she promised and placed the sound barrier.

“Alright here goes. Two weeks before I was about to start my first year in my new school. I made my way home until all of a sudden…”


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Fluttershy was flying back from taking a trip to a park on the ground. When she arrived home, she could feel that there was something wrong, it was her gut feeling. When she entered her house, she saw her dad talking to a police officer, he was crying, hard. The police pony noticed Fluttershy enter the room.

“Are you Fluttershy?”

“Yes I am… what’s… what’s going on officer?”

“I’m sorry I have to tell you this Miss Fluttershy, but I came to tell you that your mother passed away. While moving a rain cloud in preparation for a lightning storm, your mother was struck by an unplanned lightning bolt. I’m so sorry Miss Fluttershy.” Tears flowing down Fluttershy’s cheeks uncontrollably. She ran to her dad, to which he held her in his hooves, in protection.

“Mommy’s… dead? No, this isn’t true. Mom’s still alive, she’ll be back soon. She’s just working late.”

“No Fluttershy, mommy’s dead… She’s… not… coming back. I’m sorry Fluttershy.” Her dad said, holding her tighter.

“I… I still have you daddy… I still have you to protect me.”

“I will protect you forever Fluttershy, even during the bad times.”

“I need to go now folks, they need me back at the office. I’m sorry about your loss, and if you ever want to talk about it or learn more, feel free to visit us at the station.”

“Thank you, and goodnight.” Fluttershy’s dad said, as the officer left the house. The two held each other in comfort for what felt like ages. They made their way to each their own beds. Both were unable to fall asleep from the tragedy that just bestowed them. All the two could do was remember their times with Fluttershy’s mom. Eventually after a few hours, the happy thoughts helped them fall asleep.


……………………………………..(2 months later)…………………………………………..



Fluttershy had started school, getting through with difficulty, still morning over her mother’s death. The teacher had asked her to stay after class that day, wanting to know why Fluttershy was having difficulty in class, hoping she could help.

“Fluttershy, is everything alright?” Concern in the teacher’s voice.

“No…” Fluttershy hardly spoke ever since her mother’s death. She hardly spoke to her dad as well.

“Fluttershy, please, what’s wrong. I only want to help.”

“Listen! You can’t do anything to help. My mother’s dead, and nothing will bring her back.”

“I’m sorry to hear that…”

“Sorry won’t bring her back. I wish ponies would stop telling me that!” Fluttershy screamed, anger in her voice, interrupting the teacher.

“Now I’m going to go, since it seems like you don’t have anything important to say.” Fluttershy left the school and made her way home. She entered her house and entered her room. She shut the door, and sat down on her bed. Tears were flowing down her cheeks.

Why did you have to leave me so early mom? I hardly got to know you, you were away so often. Even so, I loved you, and you didn’t even come to talk to me for a few months, and I never got to see you one more time before your unfortunate event… Fluttershy was interrupted by her dad.

“Hey Fluttershy, how was school today?” Fluttershy didn’t respond.

“Look Fluttershy, I’m sure you’re still upset about losing your mother.” Tears started to flow down her dad’s cheeks.

“I loved her too. I miss her every day. If I never met her, I wouldn’t have you today Fluttershy. I will always love her, and love you Fluttershy. Please, let me help you get over it.” Fluttershy didn’t respond.

“Well supper’s ready, meet me downstairs when you’re ready.” Her dad said, feeling defeated. Fluttershy made her way downstairs a few minutes later. Holding her head low, her eyes red from the tears she cried. She sat down across from her dad. All she could think during supper was her mother. She felt alone, even if her dad was there for her. She felt like she could have had a better relationship with her mom, and could be closer to her. Unfortunately it’s impossible now. She felt depressed and dead inside. Fluttershy took a few bites of her food, unable to eat more. She couldn’t bring herself to do it, she was too depressed to do anything other than just lay in bed, with the lights off, alone and think about her mother. As for her dad, he felt like his daughter doesn’t love him anymore. He feels like he’s at fault for how his daughter felt. He should have been there for her more. He ended up taking a sick leave from work so he could take care of his daughter, but she had already started to act like this by the time he took his leave. He tried to get her to talk to him, he tried every day, but with no success. This time after supper however, he would try harder.

Fluttershy left towards her room, after only taking a few bites of her supper. Her dad picked both their plates and washed them in the sink. After he finished cleaning he called Fluttershy downstairs.

“Fluttershy, I need you to come here now… please.” He could hear Fluttershy making her way out of her room and down the stairs. He signaled her to sit next to him on the couch. She sat on the other side, leaving a space between them. Her dad moved closer putting a hoof around her shoulders.

“Fluttershy… what’s going on? Why aren’t you talking to me…? Don’t you… love me?”

“Is that what you wanted to know? Dad why are you wasting my time?”

“I’m…a… waste of time to you?”

“Right now you are.”

“Alright, I see. Thanks Fluttershy… you may go back to your room now.” Fluttershy pushed her dad’s hoof off of her shoulder and walked upstairs back to her room. As soon as he heard her door close, her dad started to cry, unable to stop.

My own daughter doesn’t love me. First I lose my wife, and now my daughter doesn’t love me anymore. I thought I was being a great dad, playing with her, loving her as much as possible, I took care of her when she was sick, I was there during the sad, the happy, the depressing and the great moments… after all of that, she doesn’t love me. I don’t know what to do anymore. Please Celestia, give me a sign. Until then, all I can do is try, to gain back my daughter’s love.

Her dad looked at the clock. It was getting late, he didn’t realize how much time had passed while he was deep in thought.

I’ll get some sleep, maybe Fluttershy will talk to me tomorrow. What happened to you Fluttershy? We used to be so close, but instead you’re pushing me away from you. I won’t allow it. I will get my daughter back. He made his way up the stairs, and stopped when he was in front of Fluttershy’s bedroom door. He opened the door leaving only a creek so he could just barely see her. It was difficult since all the lights were off. All he could see was Fluttershy lying in her bed, and he could hear faint crying. He couldn’t take watching his daughter so depressed. He opened the door, and sat on the bed next to Fluttershy.

“Hey Fluttershy, how… how are you feeling?” Concern in his voice.

“Oh I’m just doing great dad, as you can see.” Fluttershy said, in a sarcastic tone.

“What’s wrong Fluttershy? Why won’t you tell me what’s going on?”

“Because… you have no idea what it feels like…” Fluttershy was interrupted.

“How can you say that? Of course I know how you feel. When I was your age, I lost my dad in a workplace accident. I couldn’t stop crying, all I could feel was pain, always there to haunt me, never letting me forget. He invaded my thoughts for a long time, difficult to let go. It was difficult on my mom, especially since she needed to find another job to be able to support the two of us. My mom ended up selling the house and moving to a home that was closer to her second job. All I could do was argue and beg her not to sell it. That house held all the memories of my dad, and it was being taken away from me, without my consent… without my say. Even when my mom promised me that we would take everything that we possibly could, it still felt like I was leaving my memories behind… those precious memories. All the memories of the secret spots in the house only my dad and I knew about. All the work I helped him with around the house. All of that gone, without even thinking about how I’d feel, how important it was to me. When we moved into the new house, my mom did the best she could to support me, to help me through the pain. At first I kept to myself, didn’t talk to her. I stayed in my room a lot, depressed, wanting everything great about my life to come back. At times, it felt like life was worthless, like it was all for nothing. One night, when I was feeling like it would never get better, my mom asked me to sit next to her, because she had something important to tell me. I sat next to her, noticing a few tears sliding down her cheeks.”

“I… I want to apologize… apologize for everything. I’m sure it’s been very difficult for you ever since we’ve lost dad. It has been for me too. Every night coming home to an empty bed, knowing your father won’t be joining me. At times I wish he would come in and comfort me. The sad reality is, it’s over, he’s gone. However much I wanted to just stop everything in life and join him, there was always one silver lining guiding me… that… that light was you. I knew I had to continue doing my best, to raise you, to support you… to love you. No matter what happens son, I will always be there for you… I love you.” She felt two hooves wrapping her.

“I love you too mom.” The held each other, tears of joy flowing down their cheeks. They held each other, just comforting each other.

“Ever since that talk, I spent as much time as possible with my mom. Helping her with whatever she needed, comforted her, and in return, the pain slowly lightened. I was realizing, I still had my mom, and that I can’t waste our time together, because I could lose her at any time as well. The pain never did completely go away however, and it still comes back once in a while to this day, but it got better as life went on. Besides look at all the good that happened, in my life, I had my parents who loved me, I found a beautiful and wonderful wife, and of course I have you in my life Fluttershy. I will always thank your mother for that. I know how my mother felt now, and I will continue to do my best for you Fluttershy, like she did for me. I love you Fluttershy.” He went to hug her, but she backed away.

“That was a nice story dad, but it doesn’t help me with the way I feel and what I’m going through right now.” Her dad’s face changed to a look of pure disappointment. His eyes, expression showed pain. He felt like everything he did up to this point was worthless.

“Well… do you at least love me Fluttershy?”

“Right now I don’t know… I just don’t know, there are too many thing going on inside my head and my heart.” Fluttershy could see all the life her dad normally showed fade away.

“Alright, I understand… I’ll just leave.” Her dad got up, holding his head down, moving like a lifeless zombie.

“Goodnight dad.” Her dad did not respond, he didn’t even show a sign that he heard her, he just left and closed the door behind him. All that could be heard was his steps as he was descending the staircase. He took a seat on the couch.

I failed… I fai… failed as a father. I did my best to be there for her, be her hero. After all that, my daughter doesn’t love me. It’s my fault, I obviously didn’t try hard enough. I wish you were here mom and honey, I need all the help I can get. It’s getting difficult to live life again. Every day, I see Fluttershy, depression, sadness her only emotions, and I can’t even cheer her up or even be there for her. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t want to give up, but what else is there? If she doesn’t love me, I’ll never be able to help her. I just want this pain to go away, and I can only think of one thing that will work…

Her dad got up and left the house, locking the door behind him. He made his way to the grocery store, and purchased some alcohol. He went back home promising he’d only drink one, to which he ended up drinking three before he started to feel a buzz. He decided to go to bed, before it got too far.

The next day was the weekend. Fluttershy stayed in bed as long as possible, not wanting to start the day, of depression. However, she was awoken by the sound of bottles breaking. She made her way downstairs to a horrible sight. Her dad was on the couch, drunk, bottles of alcohol everywhere around him. He looked up at his daughter, but quickly looked back down, he couldn't look at the disappointment in her face.

“Dad… are you… drinking?”

“Fluttershy… please… I don’t want you to see me like this.” Fluttershy walked up to her dad and sat beside him.

“Dad, stop, this isn’t the answer.”

“But it is Fluttershy, this is the only thing that makes me truly happy.”

“Dad, I wanted to say…”

“Not now Fluttershy.” He said as he grabbed the rest of the alcohol.

“I need to be alone for a while.” Her dad made his way to his room, closing the door. Fluttershy went upstairs and held her ear to the door, all she could hear was her dad crying from the pain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“My dad continued to drink, slowly increasing the alcohol he drank, as it took more to get the effect. After that, I felt even worse, feeling like I was fault for what my dad was going through. I eventually stopped going to school. It was so bad I couldn’t leave the house. Unfortunately it got worse as time went on, my dad started to get drunk, causing him to become angry. I… it’s too hard to tell what happened… honestly I can’t Twilight, it was the worst part of my life.”

“Fluttershy, I need to know, you’re my best friend, I’m here for you and I want to help by being the shoulder to cry on. Trust me, it’ll help to get it off your chest. You need to trust me Fluttershy.”

“Alright, this is going to be very difficult though, I just need absolute silence and you must promise to never speak a word of this.”

“I promise Fluttershy.”

“Alright, here’s what happened, I came out of my room for dinner, when…”


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“What are you doing here Fluttershy?”

“I’m here because you called me for supper.”

“Oh, right. Well help yourself.” Fluttershy went to grab a plate when suddenly her dad slapped her hard on the hoof, causing her to hold it in pain.

“You’re worthless Fluttershy, after all I’ve done for you… and this is how you repay me. Telling me you don’t love me.”

“Dad I do love you thou…”

“LIES! You’re just saying that, just so you can take it back and hurt me even more. Well I’m already ahead of your plan. Now take your food and leave.”

“Dad this isn’t you, this is the alcohol talking, I know my real dad is in there somewhere.”

“This is the real me, the alcohol is only helping me, making me feel good.”

“Please dad… stop, I can’t stand seeing what’s happened. I want my old dad back, the dad that was there for me no matter what, the one that put me first… the one that loved me.” Fluttershy’s dad struck her across the face.

“This is all your fault Fluttershy, you’re the one who caused all of this. You have no pony but yourself to blame for this. I hope you got what you wished for, because now you’re stuck with it.”

Suddenly a knock on the door could be heard.

“I’ll get it dad.” Fluttershy walked over to the door, feeling her dad’s eyes follow her, filled with anger. Fluttershy opened the door to a familiar face.

“Hi Fluttershy, how are you feeling?”

“I’m doing okay, how about you Rainbow Dash?”

“I’m doing awesome. I’ve missed you at school though Fluttershy, is everything alright?”

“Of course, I’m just taking time to get over everything.” Fluttershy could hear her dad making his way to the door.

“What’s taking you so long?”

“Dad, this is Rainbow Dash, she’s my friend from flight school.”

“Nice to meet you sir.”

“Yeah, yeah whatever, Fluttershy is busy right now, could you please come back another time?”

“Sure, well, bye Fluttershy. I’ll be back to visit.”

“Bye Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow pretended to walk away, until she heard the door close. She had a feeling Fluttershy was in danger, after she saw the bruises on Fluttershy’s face. She put her ear against the door, and she could hear Fluttershy’s screams of pain. Rainbow grabbed the closest object, and broke the window and flew in. What she witnessed would haunt her for the rest of her life. In front of her, Fluttershy was being beaten by her dad, as he called her things such as useless, worthless, the worst thing that’s ever happened to him. Rainbow quickly pushed Fluttershy’s dad hard on the floor, and assisted Fluttershy to get back up, helping her walk to the door.

“I’m taking you with me Fluttershy. It’s too dangerous for you to stay here.” Just then she heard Fluttershy’s dad get up. She turned around just in time to see him about to strike her, when she kicked him as hard as possible in the chest with her back legs. Fluttershy’s dad fell to the floor, short of breath from the kick.

“Quickly Fluttershy, before he gets back up.” The two made it outside.

“Fluttershy do you have enough energy to fly?”

“I think so.”

“Well try to follow me, I’ll take you to the ground and we’ll find a place where you can stay for now.” Fluttershy followed Rainbow, almost losing conciseness a few times. Rainbow constantly checked to make sure Fluttershy was doing alright. They landed on the ground, Fluttershy fell on her side, from exhaustion.

“We made it Fluttershy. You stay here and rest, I’m going to look for a place we can rest for now.” Rainbow took off, looking left and right, for any possible resting place. Until she noticed an abandoned cabin. She flew back to Fluttershy as fast as possible. Upon her arrival she was relieved to see Fluttershy was still there, still conscience.

“Fluttershy I found an abandoned cabin…”

“I can’t Rainbow, I’m in too much pain and I’m exhausted.” Rainbow thinking quickly picked up Fluttershy, and flew to the cabin, with much trouble from having to carry Fluttershy. They finally made it. Rainbow opened the door and placed Fluttershy on the floor.

“We’re finally done Fluttershy, you should be safe now.”

“Thank you Rainbow… you… you saved my life.”

“Anytime Fluttershy, now I’m going to get the cops and put your dad where he belongs for what he did.”

“No… don’t Rainbow.”

“Why not? After what he did to you.”

“I know, but it’s not his fault. He has a drinking problem.”

“That still doesn’t give him the right to treat you the way he did.”

“I know, but I just want him to be left alone. I want to give him time to think, and possibly turn back to the dad I knew. I don’t want him to go to jail for life, when he has the chance to fix his life.”

“Even though I totally disagree with you, I will do as you ask. But if he ever hurts you again… I will call the cops.”

“Alright, and thank you Rainbow.”

“Anytime Fluttershy, and I promise to keep this between us.”

“I appreciate it Rainbow.”

“Now I’d better get home before my parents worry, will you be alright by yourself here Fluttershy?”

“Yeah, I should be.”

“Alright, I’ll stop by tomorrow to check up on you.”

“Alright, until tomorrow Rainbow.”

“Bye for now Fluttershy.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Rainbow kept her promise and visited me every day and at night after supper. She brought me some food and some blankets. Eventually I went back to school, but only three days a week to start. After the first week, that’s when another kid bullied me, thankfully Rainbow Dash stood up to him and helped me. They ended up racing. As you know I ended up on the ground and got my cutie mark for helping the animals. Ever since then, the town of Ponyville gave me money to support the animal shelter I ended up making from the cabin. I used the money to eventually get furniture and food. Rainbow continued to visit me, until a few years later she came with a lawyer.

“Are you Miss Fluttershy?”

“Yes I am.” Fluttershy said, worry in her voice.

“I am sorry to announce this, but your father has passed away from alcohol poisoning. Since you’re the only relative he kept in contact with, I bring you his possessions. You may do what you please with them.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, well I’d better get back to work. I’m sorry for your loss miss.”

“Thank you, and goodbye.”

“I’m sorry Fluttershy.” Rainbow grabbed Fluttershy in a hug.

“Thank you Rainbow.” Tears flowing down Fluttershy’s cheeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I still have the items the lawyer gave me. For the longest time after that, I’d just look at the picture of my dad and me when I was young, and kept thinking what happened dad? How did things end up the way they did? For a long time I blamed myself for what happened, but after Rainbow trying everyday to convince me it wasn’t, and as time went on, I convinced myself it wasn’t my fault. The weight on my shoulders never left however. To this day every year, on the anniversary of his death, I get those nightmares. Every year I think of how I never got to say a true goodbye, never got a chance to make amends.”

“Wow, I’m so sorry Fluttershy.” Twilight hugged Fluttershy, to which she returned it.

“Thank you Twilight, now I need some time alone. Just to reflect on things.”

“Sure Fluttershy, I’ll be home if you need anything.”

“Thanks.” Twilight made her way to the door and left. At that point, Fluttershy grabbed all of her dad’s possessions and flew to her secret spot near the Everfree forest. She made a pile with the possessions and lit it on fire. She also repeated to herself.

“It’s not your fault Fluttershy, it’s not your fault…” She stayed there until the pile turned into ash.

“Goodbye dad, I’ll see you again when the time comes.”

Fluttershy made her way back to the cabin. After that, the nightmares never came back, she was finally able to push those thoughts into her subconscious. The weight on her shoulders were finally gone, she could live peacefully now, and continue to enjoy her life with her friends and animals.

THE END.

Author's Note:

Well that was a long and emotional story to write. I hope you guys enjoy it. Please let me know what you think in the comments. As for the "--------------------------", I did that as way to try to make it easier for people to know when it was the present, and when it was the past. Thank you for reading and have a great day/night.

***DISCLAIMER
I do not support alcoholism or physical/verbal abuse. This is just a story and is not purposely based on a true story.

PS: If you enjoyed this story, please check out my other Fluttershy story: Fluttershy's Letter

Comments ( 15 )

A nice story, Rarityfan87.

4663731
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! :twilightsmile:

Poor Fluttershy :fluttercry:. I'm glad Rainbow helped her, but she never got to say goodbye to any of her parents, not properly, that must be horrible. I'm glad things got better and she was able to finally get rid of those thoughts and sleep peacefully.

A+ in almost all aspects of what makes a good sad, dark, slice of life story.:heart::raritywink:

It came out wonderful. Between the emotional scenes, the mental stresses, the relatability of common life aspects, the depression, and the slow build to a much better uplifting ending was purely genuine. :twilightsmile:

Plus I really liked the ties to the canon and head canon intertwining that you invented for her back-story. Very unique. :yay:

Last but not least, I was really impressed with the closure and tying everything together towards the end making it a complete one-shot story. :ajsmug:

I approve good sir!:moustache:

Grammar : no mistakes from my memory.
Punctuation: yeah, there is but does not overshadow it
Plot: Cliche, sure. However, the description was really good that it makes me forget. And I usually end up reading these things. Made me cry a little, too.

Hm... I do feel horrible for Fluttershy I really do but why? Why in the name of God did she think it was a good idea to say "I don't love you dad," and think that there wasn't going to be reprecussions? Sure him dying hurt but in a really sad and sadistic sort of way.... it actually was kinda her fault. That being said I still like the story and I still love Fluttershy.

While this story has promise, I do believe it needs work.

One thing I noticed something off about some of the characterization. For example, Fluttershy's father. I don't think a loving father would actually think that his daughter didn't love him anymore just because she stopped spending time with him. Even though two months is a lot of time for the grieving process to happen, I think someone like Fluttershy's father would understand that their own daughter is too sad to spend time with him. It also seemed weird that he would two months to have this talk. I know he's mourning too, but has he really ignored his own daughter for two months? I'll assume he did try to comfort her, but the story he tells her seems better placed sooner. In fact, it would probably make sense to have that conversation within a couple days after her death. Also, I found the father's sudden turn to alcohol is bizarre and extreme. If you wanted to go down this route, then I would suggest you to have the fall happen gradually over a longer period of time.

Aside from that, there are smaller things that I found odd. Twilight seemed to be coercing Fluttershy into forcing out her past rather than encourage her to tell her friend. Princess or not, this seemed a little inappropriate for Twilight to do to a friend; especially someone as sensitive as Fluttershy. Also, the teacher seemed to wait a very long time to address Fluttershy's sadness to her directly. With the flow of narrative, it seems like Fluttershy went to school for over a month moping and only now was her teacher talking about it. Wouldn't it have happened sooner? If Fluttershy had waited over a month to even come to school, wouldn't she have investigated a little? These matters aren't stated when they should be. With that, I recommend you to be a little clearer in that sense.

Leading from this subject is the POV. If this is Fluttershy's memories, then have them in the first person. If you wanted to keep it in the third-person, however, then don't include the inner thoughts of other characters. How would Fluttershy know that her father doesn't think she loves him anymore? Have her learn his reasons for turning to alcohol through slurred comments that are spited from his mouth.

Another thing to fix is pacing. The story is very rushed and I feel like it needs to slow down in order for the audience to get enveloped in the story. A big factor to this is talking heads. Give your characters more to do while talking than just talking, but you don't just have to do that. You could also have your characters struggle more through words or provide detailed descriptions of their environment or actions in between lines of dialogue. This will give your story a much stronger emotional impact.

Lastly, there were several scene transitions that were hard to tell. For example, you cut from the father's story to a flashback of his mom comforting him. However there's no line break to indicate the separation. This could confuse the reader.

Overall, this story does need editing however I have faith that you can transform it into something great.

Oh my god that butt-fucking son of a bitch smacked that poor filly

LIES!

I immediately thought of Fluttershy's dad as Frau from Austin Powers.

4687997
:rainbowlaugh:
I actually didn't think of that when I was writing that part.

4688346 Actual line
Scott: But I thought I was made in a lab...
Frau: Lies. All LIES!

:fluttercry::pinkiesad2: Wow! I don't know what to say, but this was sad, beautiful, haunting, emotional, everything. Very powerful story. I feel so bad for Fluttershy and for what happened in her past. First the passing of her mother, but then her dad's alcoholism, but I just hope she knew that it wasn't her father that abused her, but the alcohol. :fluttershysad:

5068047
I was originally going to go for a sad ending, but as I was writing it, I thought that it would be too much since the rest of the story is hard to swallow at points. However I might release that ending as a bonus chapter.

5069646 :pinkiegasp: Oh, that will be very powerful if you decide to add the sad ending as a bonus chapter.

I think Twilight should have been a lot more compassionate but great story even though it was so sad. :fluttershysad:

Login or register to comment