• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 1,073 Views, 40 Comments

New Toys in Town - Derpator



New toys appear in Ponyville, and Rainbow Dash doesn't want any part of it.

  • ...
10
 40
 1,073

Chapter 3 - Three days of mischief: Day two

Day two.

Rainbow Dash tried out at Sugarcube Corner. She knew Pinkie Pie loved her company and she taught her well with the art of baking. She would always appreciate the help. As expected from Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie did indeed take her generous offer. Whenever there were no customers, they had fun in the kitchen either chatting about future prank ideas or general topics. Pinkie Pie never mentioned the toys though, and Rainbow Dash felt that she shouldn’t interfere. Rainbow Dash knew what she could talk to Pinkie Pie about though. And she would never talk to her about the other thing she discussed with Twilight. Never again.

“So Pinks” Rainbow Dash said as Pinkie Pie finished placing some cupcakes on a tray.

“Yes Dashie?”

“You know, this scenario looks exactly like that other time that... you know.” Pinkie Pie looked in horror as she realised what Rainbow Dash was talking about. “In the dream you told me.”

“Rainbow Dash! I have no idea what you’re talking about!” Pinkie Pie turned her head away from Rainbow Dash.

“Oh? So you didn’t like this then?” Rainbow Dash extended her wing and brushed it along Pinkie Pie’s back, resulting in a small moan from the pink pony. When Pinkie Pie turned to face Rainbow Dash, her cheeks were flushed.

“Dashie... I...” Pinkie Pie struggled to find words when Rainbow Dash silenced her.

“It’s ok Pinkie, I know you don’t feel that way towards me. And I don’t feel that way towards you.”

I guess Twilight does though.

Rainbow Dash pulled her head away from view and formed a smirk. “...Or do I?” She purposely tip-toed towards Pinkie Pie, who was backing into a corner with fear. “Oh Pinkie, I can’t deny my feelings for you.” Sweat started to appear on Pinkie Pie’s temple.

In a sudden realisation, Pinkie Pie knew it was a silly joke and was in a fit of giggles on the floor. “Oh Rainbow Dash, you thought you could get me.” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“Drat! But Pinkie. Why’d you even tell me that dream anyway?” Pinkie Pie stopped her giggles and got back on her feet.

“I dunno. I just had it one night. My dreams usually contain lovely cakes or chocolate covered cookies. Or even chocolate covered cookies on top of cakes. I guess it was just different.”

Rainbow Dash attempted to understand the lunacy of Pinkie Pie’s treat-based dreams but shrugged it off. “Fair enough. But I know two things though because of it.” Pinkie Pie recoiled in fear once more.

“What’s that?” Pinkie asked nervously, while Rainbow Dash extended her wing again. “No, NO! Dashie! Doooooooon’t-“ Rainbow Dash lunged at Pinkie Pie and forced her to the ground, before using her wing to tickle Pinkie Pie’s stomach. What resulted was a huge giggle-fest from Pinkie Pie as she flailed her hooves hopelessly in the air, hoping mercifully that it would end. If it hadn’t been for Mr Cake entering the kitchen shortly after, Rainbow Dash might have tickled Pinkie Pie all afternoon.

Mr Cake cleared his throat and immediately caught the attention of the two mares having fun. They both tried to pretend nothing happened but failed miserably as they rose to their feet. “Pinkie, we have customers.” Pinkie Pie held up a hoof in a salute.

“Yes sir! Pinkie on the double sir!” A cloud of Pinkie Pie had formed as she was no longer present in the kitchen. Mr Cake looked to Rainbow Dash and then to the door, clearing marking the pegasus to leave the kitchen. Rainbow Dash did just that and had another idea as she approached Pinkie Pie at the counter.

“Hi! Welcome to Sugarcube Corner, what can I get yoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuu!” Pinkie Pie’s eyes bulged and she almost jumped out of her skin as she felt the wing of Rainbow Dash gently caress along her back. Hearing the low chuckle coming from Rainbow Dash as she took a seat at a table, she ignored it and awkwardly attempted again. “Heh. Sorry about that. So what can I get you?” As soon as she finished the order of the pony across the counter and she wasn’t in her line of sight, Pinkie Pie stared right at Rainbow Dash with daggers.

Rainbow Dash saw the small chaos she’d caused and pretended to play innocent to Pinkie Pie across the room; lifting up her hooves to gesture she didn’t have a clue what she was on about. She watched as Pinkie Pie narrowed her eyes at her and lifted up a hoof, pointing at her own eyes before pointing them at her. She saw the words “I’m watching you” being mouthed from Pinkie Pie, as she just leant back on her chair to enjoy her victory.

A few hours had passed, and Rainbow Dash had left Sugarcube Corner temporarily to grab her Daring Do novel. She hadn’t realised the time fly by as she was too caught up in the adventures of her hero. What finally caught her attention though was a pink pony standing beside her with a look of determination. No words were spoken, but a cupcake with icing that held all the colours of the rainbow was placed in front of her.

She gazed at the cupcake, and then at Pinkie Pie, who inched towards the chair at the opposite side of the table. Pinkie Pie sat with her hooves placed together, forming a triangle with the surface of the table. Her eyes were fixed on Rainbow Dash, and she wore her eyelids and eyebrows down. Never once did she blink.

Rainbow Dash scratched the back of her head, and then met Pinkie Pie’s glare. Without looking down, she picked up the cupcake and took a bite of it. She noticed Pinkie Pie starting to smile. The cupcake was one of the most delicious things she’d ever tasted, but she didn’t change her expression. As she took small bite after bite, she never once unlocked her staring contest with Pinkie Pie. Finishing the final bite of the cupcake, Pinkie Pie nodded.

“Pinkie,” Rainbow Dash said finally breaking their tension, “That cupcake was delicious. But why’d you go and act all evil like?” Pinkie Pie also broke her mood and sat upright in her chair.

“Simple. The writer wanted to make an attempt of a dramatic moment, so he thought we could act like we were in a competition.” Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow and looked down at her book, half expecting for Pinkie Pie’s answer to be present in the words below her. “Whatever, the point is I thought it’d be a nice gesture.”

“Oh. Well thanks Pinkie. So what was the ingredient to make it tasty like that?” Pinkie Pie smiled back at Rainbow Dash.

“I’m surprised you didn’t recognise the taste. After all, you are Rainbow Dash.”

“Uh, what?” Pinkie Pie giggled.

“You’ve worked with making rainbows before right? You know what rainbows taste like, as do I. It should have been easily recognisable.

Rainbow Dash just sat there with a blank expression. She really should have seen that point coming. It did taste like rainbows do, which aren’t that nice to begin with, but it had a different flavour to it. “So what else was in that cupcake?”

Pinkie Pie clapped her hooves with glee. After a short while, she stopped and went back to being serious. “Can’t tell you, it’s a secret.”

Rainbow Dash’s ears fell down. “Why not?”

“Let’s just say it’s punishment for your behaviour in the kitchen earlier. Strike one!” With no warning, Pinkie Pie leant forward and poked Rainbow Dash’s nose with her hoof. “Boop!”

“Ugh. Well at least I know what you enjoy.” Rainbow Dash sat with a grin and extended her wing, causing Pinkie Pie to slightly hide herself.

“Not as much as I enjoy with Twilight.” Pinkie Pie beamed a smile once more as Rainbow Dash’s jaw extended a second time. “Speaking of which, I’ve finished my shift, which means I’m off to go see her. I would invite you Rainbow Dash, but you’re not into it. Or maybe, you might be. How do you feel about sharing? Let me know ok?” With just that, Pinkie Pie got up, winked at Rainbow Dash and vanished through the door of Sugarcube Corner.

Rainbow Dash just tried to contemplate what just happened. That was a rather sudden change. Not to mention disturbing since she knew what Pinkie Pie meant. And after everything she’d talked with Twilight yesterday. Not only that, but she might have been invited to join in! Rainbow Dash quickly buried herself back in the Daring Do book to take her mind off it.

Time quickly passed as Rainbow Dash was lost in her book. The only time she moved was when Sugarcube Corner officially closed, and even then she attempted to read while she flew back home. She didn’t notice, but she almost crashed a total of fifteen times.

Sixteenth time wasn’t the charm though, as she collided head to head with a dragon. Making a rush to save her book from becoming ruined, Rainbow Dash made a swoop worthy of a hero. Shame was that Spike didn’t see it, as he was too busy trying to regain his composure.

“Spike?” She brought her attention to the dragon who was rubbing his head. “What are you doing out here?”

Spike grunted. “Twilight kicked me out. As soon as Pinkie Pie showed up.”

Rainbow Dash shivered at the thought. “She actually physically forced you out of the library?” Spike wiped off some dirt that was on his scales.

“Not really, it was more of a suggestion. She kept badgering on to me that it’d be nice for me to take a walk. Says I spend too much time indoors.” Rainbow Dash furrowed her brow.

“Wait. She said that you spend too much time indoors?” Spike nodded.

“Yup, she’s a hypocrite. She only made up an excuse to get me to leave. I guess she wants privacy with Pinkie Pie. She’s been around the library the past couple of days.” Spike raised a claw and scratched his chin. “I have no idea why though.”

Rainbow Dash laughed nervously. “Ah ha Spike. I think I may know why...” Spike looked directly at Rainbow Dash.

“You don’t think it has anything to do with those new toys Twilight got the other day? She hides them away and refuses to tell me what they are. Tells me she’s embarrassed.”

“Well yeeeeeeah, I suppose,” Rainbow Dash said with a questionable tone. “Maybe it’s best for you not to think about it.” Spike carried on his blank expression.

“Oh. Ok then.” Spike put his claws behind his back and kicked at the ground. “So, do you want to go do something? It’s not like I have anything else to do.”

Rainbow Dash flustered her wings a bit. “I don’t know Spike. We don’t usually hang out that often. I wouldn’t know what to do.”

Spike’s mood brightened. “Well there’s always a first time right? Why don’t we just chat or something? I’m sure there’s a free bench in the park.”

Rainbow Dash thought about it and agreed. “Sure, just let me take care of something real quick.” In the blink of an eye, traces of dust clouds were left of Rainbow Dash and her novel. In no time, she had returned without it. “Gotta make sure it’s safe and all.” Rainbow Dash pointed towards the park. “Shall we?”

Spike nodded and began the journey. The park wasn’t that far away from their current location, so they reached a bench in no time. Sighing as he sat down, Spike was soon joined by the pegasus. He looked up at the stars; something he never usually did. Most of the time he kept indoors, finishing off tasks that he needed to do or helping Twilight with something. This time, he felt a bit unneeded.

“They’re great aren’t they?” Rainbow Dash turned to Spike, who held his claws behind his head and was hypnotised by the view above. She could see the reflection of the night glow in his eyes.

It was then that Rainbow Dash joined in the spectacle of stars above her, but came to regret it moments later. Every star in the night sky reminded her of Twilight Sparkle. Not only that, but also what she was likely doing with Pinkie Pie. Quickly blocking her view of the stars, she tried to rid of the images that her mind had conjured up. It wasn’t working, and she groaned at her failed attempts. Spike however, took no notice.

It took a few minutes of intense fidgeting for Rainbow Dash to finally go back to normal. It was a good thing Spike paid no attention, otherwise he’d had assumed she was having a stroke or cardiac episode. Sighing and openly breathing, Rainbow Dash swallowed her pride and looked up at the stars again.

“Twilight’s great isn’t she?” The comment from the dragon almost made Rainbow Dash fall off the bench. Nope, it was back to the gutter.

Rainbow Dash gave an awkward chuckle. “Heh, yeah she is.” Rainbow Dash scanned the nearby area just to make sure nopony was watching her questionable actions. She was uncertain once again by what Spike meant. “What do you mean by that Spike?”

Spike finally broke his gaze with the stars. “At fitting in. Since Pinkie Pie’s been at the library, she’s perked up a lot. Although that may be because of the endless compliments Pinkie’s given her.”

“Are you referring to the toys?”

“Hmm,” the dragon said with uncertainty, “Yes, I suppose so. I keep hearing Pinkie Pie yelling how amazing Twilight is. Or at least, she did yesterday. Whatever these toy things are, both of them love them.”

Rainbow Dash almost regretted choosing to talk with Spike. It was understandable that he couldn’t figure it out, given he was too young for this sort of thing, but once again it was two of her best friends. Doing... that. The very idea of it turned Rainbow Dash off.

Rainbow Dash folded her hooves, trying not to think about it more. She was also speechless, not knowing how to respond.

“Rainbow Dash?” The question caught her attention. “Why are you sitting with your wings out?” At once, Rainbow Dash turned her attention to her wings, which as Spike said, were extended to their maximum.

No matter how hard Rainbow Dash tried, she couldn’t put down her wings. She knew about the pegasi body, but she didn’t want to admit what her body was telling her. No, she refused to admit it. It certainly wasn’t true. Her body said yes, but her mind said no.

But the truth of the matter was that Rainbow Dash was jealous. Jealous that her friends were so... active for lack of a better word. She’d had a few flings in the past with a few stallions, sometimes leading to some action. But she was never a committed pony, so a relationship didn’t ever work out for her. Those stallions in the past understood it as well when her time to tell them came. But maybe this time, she’d be up for experimentation with whatever the toys were.

As Rainbow Dash struggled to try and find an answer, she found refuge from a pony in the distance. She wore a yellow coat, sporting a mane that could be seen as a very light red or a pink. If Rainbow Dash didn’t know better, she’d swear it was...

“Fluttershy!?” Rainbow Dash ‘s volume had exceeded her regular range as she changed the topic. Spike followed suit and indeed noticed the shy pegasus in the distance.

What Rainbow Dash didn’t know though, was that Fluttershy heard her name being yelled out, and had noticed the pair on the bench. As she never spoke in anything louder than a regular conversation volume, neither of them heard her whimpers or apologetic sounds as she ran away. Fluttershy’s defensive manoeuvre was understandable to both of them, but she would have recognised the voice and come over towards them, open for a chat. Spike had no idea why Fluttershy didn’t come over to them, but Rainbow Dash had a pretty good clue.

“What was that all about?” Spike looked back at Rainbow Dash with a raised eyebrow.

“Ugh,” the cyan pegasus moaned, “She did that the other day too. She’s been avoiding me for some reason.” Rainbow Dash then remembered her chat with Applejack. “Oh.”

Spike was now more interested. “Oh what?”

“Applejack told me she had a crush on me.” Spike almost jumped.

“Really!?”

It took Rainbow Dash a few moments to remember exactly what she had heard, rather than jumping to conclusions. “Well, not exactly. She told me that Fluttershy wanted to try out these new toys with me, which explains her more-than-normal nervous behaviour. Seeing as what these toys are, Fluttershy either wants a onetime fling with me or a relationship.” Rainbow Dash momentarily forgot that she was in fact talking to a young dragon.

“A onetime fling? What’s that?” Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened as she realised her mistake. She stared ahead for a few moments, before laughing nervously, after almost corrupting a young dragon’s mind.

“Eh, don’t worry about it Spike.” Even though the dragon didn’t fully understand, he brushed it off.

“I got the relationship part though.” Spike produced a blush. “Speaking of which, do you think I might have a chance with Rarity?”

Rainbow Dash was about to facehoof, but then remembered Spike wasn’t aware of what was happening with Rarity and Applejack. She didn’t want to break his feelings, but she had to let him know the truth.

“Uhhh,” she rubbed the back of her head with her hoof, “I don’t think so Spike.” Almost immediately, the dragon was fully focused on Rainbow Dash.

“Why not!?” Rainbow Dash jolted a little backwards. “Twilight doesn’t think I have a chance. When I asked Pinkie Pie yesterday while she had quickly gone to the kitchen for a drink, she told me not to get my hopes up, but keep trying. I don’t know why I listened to her though, she looked pretty tired out and her face was bright red. Or more pink. I don’t even know!”

Rainbow Dash had flashbacks to images her own perverted mind created, and she hated it. Or at least, she thought she did. Her wings seemed to prove otherwise. Before she could say anything though, Spike continued.

“Rarity’s a great pony! I help her around a lot; I can be a real romantic at times too. She’s very kind, and appreciates what I have to offer. So what if I’m a dragon? It can work, and I think-“

“She’s into mares.” That seemed to stop Spike.

“What!?”

“She’s into mares.” Rainbow Dash knew the truth hurt, as she saw tears starting to form in his eyes.

“N-No. That’s not true. That’s impossible!” Rainbow Dash sighed.

“Search your feelings Spike, you know it to be true.” Rainbow Dash covered her ears as she heard the biggest cry for a “no” she’d ever heard. “I’m sorry Spike. It hurts me to tell you, but I think you should know.” Rainbow Dash looked down. “I’m sorry,” she said in a very apologetic and sympathetic voice “I really am.”

Spike didn’t answer, but he cried instead. Rainbow Dash didn’t want to break his heart, but somepony had to tell him at some point. She knew that he’d feel miserable, but deep down he would accept it in time. Perhaps it was for the best.

Rainbow Dash wasn’t the most comforting pony around, and she’d never have to play this role to a pony in this situation. She certainly cheered ponies up for other matters, but this was a personal relationship matter, and she couldn’t do that, considering she wasn’t that type herself.

Rainbow Dash took one last sigh, turned to Spike and quietly flapped her wings. She couldn’t comfort Spike at the moment, and she knew he’d be alright. She made sure only to fly away slowly towards her home above. Even though her house was right next to the park, it felt like an entire journey. One thing was on her mind though as she landed on the clouds leading to her door.

Fluttershy.

If Spike reacted like that, how would Fluttershy react when Rainbow Dash would have to turn her down? Fluttershy was incredibly sensitive, and she would be broken for weeks. She almost didn’t want to say no just so Fluttershy would be happy, but she just couldn’t put herself in a relationship with her friend.

The fact that Fluttershy was a mare didn’t matter. Rainbow Dash was more of an open type to anypony rather than a single gender. She just didn’t get involved too much.

Nevertheless, she would have to do something about Fluttershy. In a few days though, she couldn’t bear herself to do it at the present time.

Why don’t I try out the toys with Fluttershy? She’s the most kind, sweet and gentle pony around.

Rainbow Dash had to smack herself in the face to get her brain to stop coming up with ideas. Her jealousy was starting to grow slightly, and in a way she did want to experience something with Fluttershy. After all, all of her other friends seemed to be having good times, so why not? If she had flings with ponies in the past, why not Fluttershy? Besides, Fluttershy would experience something she’s wanted for a while, and Rainbow Dash couldn’t turn down a nice time.

As she flushed away the unwanted thoughts of her and Fluttershy in some awkward situations, she failed to notice one other detail she experienced slightly earlier.

Her wings had stiffened again.