• Published 2nd May 2014
  • 534 Views, 0 Comments

A War of the Mare's Tales - Moonlight Gaze



This is a fanfiction that is very much so a dark story about what would happen if a power unbeknownst to the world of Equestria came into existence, but also a story of how hidden magic might just be the key to how everything works in the world.

  • ...
 0
 534

4 - A New Magic

"Luna, please stay calm!" Twilight was trying to calm the princess who was freaking out while Celestia and Cadence worked feverously to try and heal Wordsmith. "They're trying everything they can. He was hurt badly, but I'm sure the other princesses can save him."

Luna simply shook and cried in Twilight's embrace, her heart wounded deeply from the potential death of Wordsmith. She had never felt a pain this deep, not even when she realized her mistakes once she was banished to the moon. "Thank you Twilight...But you must understand that this is a very painful situation for me..." Luna cried heavier as she said this. Her tears streamed from an endless pool that was held somewhere in her eyes. When Twilight looked at the princess, she was reminded of a young foal crying because it was lost. It pained her to see Luna like this, but she knew that there was simply nothing she could do. All she was capable of was sitting there and holding her through this tough time, hoping beyond all odds that Wordsmith would be resurrected.

As if on command, Celestia called from the room she was in. "Twillight, Luna, please come see this! Wordsmith is breathing again!" The two princesses rushed into the room at the sound of this. Sure enough, they were greeted by a bed, upon which Wordsmith lay, breathing softly. His chest rose and fell ever so slightly, letting everyone know that he was still alive. Luna was still sobbing, but a smile had appeared on her face. Twilight was baffled that the princesses actually resurrected him, but she was happy all the same.

"It was a very difficult process..." Cadence looked very tired as she spoke, seeming as if most of the work was done by her. "It took more than we thought to save him. It also took some...Unconventional means, to say the least." Cadence's eyes dulled as she said this. Twilight knew what she was talking about. She had read about in a book before. One that she was only permitted to read recently by Princess Celestia, since it held knowledge of Dark Magic, a form of magic that was considered to be treachery. It could pull off amazing feats, even bringing a dead pony back to life, but it required rituals, incantations, and, most of all, the life force of another pony to do. Twilight never thought she'd see a pony use it, but this situation seemed to be exactly that.

"Cadence, may I talk to you in private for a moment?" Twilight wanted to confirm her suspicions, but she didn't want to say anything in front of Luna, for she knew it would only make her sadder. Cadence simply nodded her head and followed Twilight out of the room. "I hate to ask this, but...You used Dark Magic to save Wordsmith, didn't you?" Twilight's eyes clouded for a moment, already knowing the answer. Cadence hesitated for a moment before answering.

"Yes...It was the only way we could save him. He was already dead when we took him into the room..." Cadence almost fell sideways, but Twilight caught her. "Sorry...It was my life force that was used to revive him. I didn't want Luna to be left alone like that...But it took much more of a toll than I thought it would. I never expected it would end up like this..." Cadence's eyes closed as she rested upon Twilight, having no energy left. "Celestia assured me that I would regain my strength withing a week or two, but...It feel like I'm dying. I can barely stand anymore...Please don't tell Luna though. She would hate herself if she found out."

"Yes, I know." Twilight knew all too well how it would feel to know that you caused someone else harm for your own personal gain. Even if you didn't do it purposefully, it still made you feel terrible. "I'm sure you'll be fine. You just need some food and rest. Though maybe I could use some magic to try to heal you a little bit." Without waiting for a reply from Cadence, Twilight started to use her magic to heal her. Cadence looked a little better once she was done, but she still looked drained. "Well...It helped a little at least. I'm sure it'll be fine soon." Twilight smiled reassuringly at Cadence, who now stood on her on.

"Thank you Twilight. It means a lot." Cadence smiled back, thinking about how she would have done the same if Twilight was the one who used her life force. Cadence wasn't entirely sure if she would truly be okay though. She knew when she went through with this plan that there was a chance she might die, but luckily Wordsmith came to before all of her life force was used. She didn't know whether or not she would regain her full strength though. Something told her, and everyone that knew what she did, that it might not. But they chose not to dwell on it.

Luna walked out of the room and smiled. She rushed over to Cadence and hugged her. "Thank you so much Cadence. Because of your magic, and your sacrifice, you saved Wordsmith. I promise that I will do everything in my power to help you regain your strength." Both Cadence and twilight looked shocked at the fact that Luna knew what was done to revive Wordsmith. Luna saw the astonishment on the princesses' faces and replied, "Did you not think I knew of Dark Magic...? I was one who used it at one point before as well. Though mine didn't resurrect anyone..." This statement only served to astound the two princesses more. "It was Dark Magic that made me into Nightmare Moon. I hated everything so much that I resorted to the destructive forces Dark Magic had, but it was overpowered by the Elements of Harmony in the end. It was for the best that way, believe me."

Twilight still looked surprised, but she asked, "If the Elements of Harmony stopped the Dark Magic that made you Nightmare Moon...Is it possible that they could stop Hidden Terror's magic?" Twilight knew that Hidden Terror's magic was something different entirely, but she thought that there might be hope.

"I'm afraid not Twilight..." Luna turned to face the princess, a darkness clouding her eyes. "Having seen his magic before my very eyes...It is something that, as Wordsmith said, can't be stopped by even the purest of light. It is of a darkness that can only come from pure hate and darkness...From someone who harbors no love in his being, and who has shut himself from the outside world." Twilight knew that Luna was right, but it still hurt her to know this fact. Luna saying it made it absolute, but it stung all the same. "I'm afraid that if we are to ever beat him...We will need to not only rely on Pure and Dark Magic...But another form entirely." At this Twilight looked incredibly confused. She had only ever heard of Pure Magic and Dark Magic, so she was curious as to what this third type could be.

"I believe you have revealed a bit too much, dear sister." Celestia now walked out of the room, a solemn look on her face. "I had wanted to wait to tell them of the third type of magic...But I suppose there is no other choice now." Celestia turned and faced Cadence and Twilight, a serious look on her face. "You must promise me that what I'm about to tell you will remain in your minds alone, and that no matter what you will not tell anypony about this magic, nor will you use it without express permission from me and me alone." Cadence and Twilight nodded their heads together in agreement. "I need a sounded bond, not simply a nod of your heads."

Cadence and Twilight replied in unison. "Yes ma'am, we swear on our lives." Celestia nodded her head. She knew that she was being strict, but this was knowledge that had to be kept secret for as long as possible. The power that this magic held was far greater than anything they had ever seen, but it was also impossible to control. It could end in the destruction of the entire world if not used carefully.

"Thank you. Now...I suppose I shall tell you of the strongest and most dangerous magic in all of this world."

Author's Note:

Hello again everyone! Now, I know that I said I would add a new chapter each week, but I'm on Holiday Break from school still, and I'm bored, so I decided to write another chapter. I hope that you all like it so far. I know that I have the gore tag on here, and I also know that there really hasn't been any yet. Rest assured gore fans, there will be gore in this story. I'm purposefully avoiding it for right now. I have had a plan for this story ever sine I began writing it a year and a half ago, and I still remember it to this day. Yes, I do write these on the days that I post them, but I try to make them all flow in some way. I am aware that I am not the best story maker in the world, but I am happy with how it's turned out so far. But as far as the gore goes, you'll just have to wait. Once the story truly picks up, it will make its appearance. In due time my dear readers, in due time. :)

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment