• Published 23rd Apr 2014
  • 1,643 Views, 43 Comments

Button Mash's Awful Video Game Experience - TheExhaustedBrony



Button plays on some of the worst consoles ever created.

  • ...
4
 43
 1,643

Introduction: The Power Hoof

Button Mash was no stranger to video games. When he was just a little colt, he received his first video game console, the Joyboy SP. Since then, his passion for electronic entertainment has continued to grow as video game technology became more advanced and brought about the modern era of video gaming.

Button was familiar with all of the current game systems such as the PoniBox and the PonyStation. His parents' old pong console was the oldest console he's ever played, that is, until today.

Today was cleaning day for the Mash household. Button and the rest of his family were rummaging through the attic for anything that they could do without.

Button loathed the idea of cleaning. Of course, he'd much rather be playing video games, but his parents told him for the millionth time that he wasn't allowed to play until he's spent some time with the family. Parents are so demanding.

“Hey, Button, c'mere. I've got something to show you.” Button's father beckoned.

“What is it, dad?” Button said as he traversed his way around the mess of cardboard boxes.

“Take a look, son.” The stallion pointed a hoof down to a large box labeled, old consoles, “Go on, open it.”

Button lifted the dusty flaps and peered inside the box to see an assortment of large plastic boxes that looked nothing like any gaming console he's ever seen. One of them looked like a pair of binoculars on a stand and another was a massive square that took up almost all of the space on the bottom of the box.

“What are they?”

“Those are the video game systems that I owned when I was about your age.”

“You had video games when you were a kid?” Button said in astonishment.

“You bet. I was quite good at them too.”

“You were.” Button's mother shot a mischievous smile in their direction.

The stallion rolled his eyes playfully, “That is until I met your mother, of course.”

Right now there was only one thing on little Button Mash's mind and that was playing video games. Even if it's old, video games are still video games to Button.

“Do they still work?”

“Some might. Lets take this downstairs and try them out. Whaddya say, you ready to see what your old man did for fun back in the day?”

Button nodded, “Yeah!”

“Alright, why don't you go downstairs and make some room around the TV? I'll bring the games down.”

“Okay.” Button hurried down the attic ladder and into his room and with great haste, unplugged the PonyStation 4 from the TV and pushed it aside. Time seemed to move very slowly while he anxiously waited for his dad. It was as if he had entered bullet time.

After what felt like hours, Button's father finally entered the room with the box of video games. The stallion reached into the box and lifted out what looked like a gray hoof mitten with a numeric pad on the side.

“What's that?”

“This here is the Power Hoof.” The stallion blew the dust off the old controller, “It offers a whole new video game experience as players can use a single hoof to control a game on the Joyboy Entertainment System.”

“Wow. That sounds surprisingly high tech for something from when you were a kid.”

“The idea was that earth ponies and pegasi could play games without having to physically press buttons to emulate what unicorn magic is like, in a weird mechanical way.”

Button's father reached into the cardboard box and retrieved three small black boxes that seemed to be connected by a cord. “You put these sensors around the TV...” The stallion fumbled with the device as they refused to remain on the television. Fed up, Button's frustrated father began stacking books on top of the TV which, crudely, held the sensors in place.

“You alright, dad?” Button asked, concerned for his fathers' mental well-being.

“Everything's fine. Lets get a game.” The frazzled stallion dug through the box and pulled out a game cartridge, “How about Super Hoof Ball?”

“Sure.” Button shrugged. He didn't really care much about the games. What he wanted was to see the Power Hoof in action.

Button's father opened the door on the JoyBoy Entertainment System and slid the game in. He pushed the cartridge down and the satisfying 'click' confirmed that the game was ready to be played.

“Alright son,” the stallion looked right into his sons' eyes, “are you ready to play Super Hoof Ball with the Power Hoof?”

“Game on.” Button shifted his stance and extended his right hoof towards the screen as he mentally prepared himself for the game. Button heard the click of the power button and instantly the screen lit up with the title screen to Super Hoof Ball. The graphics were very simple, as Button had expected, and the menu consisted of only only one option, “Start.” However, despite the simple appearance of the game, the little colt had only one question to ask,

“How do I start the game?” Button vainly waved the Power Hoof around at the screen and tried every motion he could think of as he attempted to start the game.

“Use the controller on the device to start the game like you would any other.”

Button looked down at his hoof to see a black rectangle with the same layout as any JBES controller. Right off the bat, this struck the child as extremely odd. Why would you need a controller on the controller? However, he didn't have time to think about the design, he just wanted to play. Button tapped the small gray start button and the game started up. The level was designed to show some three-dimensional depth and the walls were made up of colored tiles. At the same time, there were various floating objects and shapes that moved all over the screen, including a white ball that bounced around.

The hoof that Button was controlling on screen was spazzing out in the top right corner of the screen and no matter what he did, he couldn't get a response from the game. Button moved his hoof up, down, left, right, forwards, backwards, clockwise, counterclockwise, and diagonal but the gray hoof on the screen didn't even move a pixel.

“Dad, what's going on? I can't make it move.” Button asked, not sure why something so cutting edge was functioning so poorly.

“You're playing with power, son.” He chuckled, "Lets play a different game..."

For an hour, Button tried game after game, hoping that at least one of them would work. Slowly, his anger and frustration grew to a point that nopony should ever go and after the twentieth game, he had enough. Button glared at the piece of junk on his hoof with the fury of one thousand suns. What were they thinking? Is this what dad thought of as being fun? How could anypony sell something so disfunctional?

"I've had it with this worthless piece of trash!" Button tore off the Power Hoof and threw it to the ground. Tears began welling in his eyes as the overwhelming frustration took hold of him.

Button's father placed a hoof on the colt's back, "Why don't you play something else?"

Button shook his head, "I don't wanna."

"Oh come on, cheer up bud, I promise that the next one works."

"R-Really?" Button sniffled.

"Really." The stallion patted his son on the back once more before getting up to retrieve the next game console.

Author's Note:

What the heck is this? I don't even know...