• Published 2nd Apr 2012
  • 8,410 Views, 103 Comments

The Next to the Last Unicorn - Hivemind



The Red Bull of King Haggard returns to tyranize unicorns everywhere

  • ...
13
 103
 8,410

Part 5

“...and so, here I am. Far away from my friends and relations, but at least I’m far away from the Red Bull. Such a spiteful, nasty creature,” Amalthea shuddered at her own mention of the beast of her nightmares.

“Golly...” Applejack spoke softly. “You’ve been alive for that long? How could ya’ cope with livin’ in fear of a big mother hubbard like that?”

“The Red Bull was imprisoned for over a thousand years, and during this time, the land from which I am from was at peace, until now...”

The trio arrived at the Ponyville library not even a half-hour later, the snowfall having ceased along the way. The front door of the library was enveloped in a shroud of violet magic, and with a single twitch of Twilight’s head, the door flew open with swift force. The girls walked inside, brushing flakes of snow from their hooves before rubbing them on a soft floor mat.

“Let’s hold off the life’s history for now, girls. We can talk more about it when the princesses arrive,” Twilight insisted, slipping off her hoofmits and hanging her bell hat on a nearby coat rack.

“Twilight, dear? Is that you?”

“Heyya, Twi’!”

“Hiiii, Twilight!”

“Oh, don’t tell me...” Twilight groaned. Twilight and the other girls turned and looked toward the reading parlor, where Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash were gathered around on a floor rug, waving them over.

“Girls, what are you doing here? Princess Celestia is going to be here any minute for a private meeting!” warned Twilight, alarmed.

Private meeting?” said Rarity. “So why did I receive this letter requesting my ravishing presence here, hmm?” The well-kept unicorn levitated an unraveled scroll into the air, flashing the royal seal at the bottom of the letter.

“You got a letter from Princess Celestia?” Twilight asked.

“We all did!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash, flashing her own signed letter. Pinkie Pie followed suit.

“What, why? I was told that Celestia and Luna were going to speak to Amalthea personally!”

“There is nothing personal about the safety of Equestria, Twilight...”

Like a ghost in the night, Princess Celestia creeped up from behind Fluttershy and moved to Twilight’s side. Taken aback by her sudden appearance, everypony save Amalthea dropped to their knees, bowing in respect to Her Royal Highness.

“Hello, Amalthea,” said Celestia, turning her head to meet Amalthea’s wondering gaze. “It’s been a while. How have you been?”

“Y-you know her, princess?” asked Twilight, eyes wide with shock.

“I-I don’t understand...” Amalthea murmured.

“You may rise. All of you,” ordered Celestia, keeping a blank and unreadable composure. The girls rose to their hooves, Rarity taking a few moments of spare time to move her hair back behind her shoulders.

“Wait a minute, where’s Princess Luna?” asked Rainbow Dash, quizzically scanning the room.

“Right here,” The dark equine announced, entering in the same fashion as Celestia, moving up to Amalthea’s vacant flank.

“Amalthea...” said Luna, blankly scrutinizing the white unicorn from hoof to head. “How nice to see you again.”

“Again?” questioned Amalthea. “I-I’m sorry, but I’ve never met you before. Come to think of it, I’ve never met any alicorn in my life!” The wonder-filled unicorn curiously looked over Luna’s figure, taking special notice of her black, sapphic wings and her long, black horn. Luna, smiling nervously, took a few steps away from Amalthea. Though bittersweet, the feeling of being adored easily stuck with the princess of the night.

“Do you not remember me?” Luna asked, taking a few additional steps back for good measure.

“I highly doubt that she would, Luna,” Celestia noted.

“It’s only been a few...thousand years, sister,” Luna giggled. “She’s got to remember something about us!”

Much to Princess Luna’s annoyance, Applejack perked up during the conversation. “Ah’ apologize in advance for breakin’ up this little reunion, but can somepony please give a shoutout why we’re here?” asked the confused, orange mare.

“And could you please tell me as to why I had to reschedule my private time?” Rarity added.

“And my time with the Cake twins!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie.

“I don’t even know why I’m here. It was just me, kickin’ back in my home, good book in my face. Then along comes Spike, aaand...you get the idea,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Umm...s-sorry for saying this, princess, but I think that we’d all like to know why you’re here...” Fluttershy whispered.

“And let me guess,” Applejack started, “Equestria’s in danger again, right? Ah’m not one to be picky, but it’s wintertime! Shouldn’t these big ol’ monsters be on a holiday or somethin’?”

“That is not of our concern,” spoke Celestia.

“I wonder how your mane gets so wavy like that,” cooed Amalthea, still hitting Luna with compliment after compliment about her previously-legendary looks. Luna was trying her best to hide a thin line of blush visible above her lips, her strategy of using her transparent mane as coverage being about as effective as a glass tea towel.

“Amalthea,” Celestia started, turning around to face Amalthea. “Listen, and listen carefully. Our time is heavily limited.”

“A-alright, I suppose...” Amalthea murmured, looking away from Luna.

“Now, I need you to tell me everything you remember about the Red Bull.”

For reasons unknown to her, the way that Celestia spoke the beast’s name sent a chill colder than the outside air down Amalthea’s neck. Her eyes flashed solid, and her memories were sent into a thundershock, rekindling the fire and flames originally long-doused in her conscious. The singing butterfly, Mommy Fortuna’s warnings; all coming and going in light of her eyes.

Amalthea’s eyes went dull and grey. Her beautiful, shining pupils, once filled with heavy-hearted memories, were now blank and lifeless as memories of the Red Bull flashed through them like firecrackers.

“Amalthea?” said Fluttershy with worried eyes.

“What’s wrong with the poor dear?” asked Rarity.

“Stay calm, girls,” Celestia urged the girls. “I was afraid that this would happen. Luna?”

Thinking ahead, Luna eased herself up to Amalthea’s side, and very slowly closed the distance between their faces as if they were loving relatives, gently nuzzling into the unicorn’s pearl white cheek while trying her best to keep her horn away from the unicorn’s eyes.

The girls could have never looked more surprised even if they tried. Pinkie Pie’s jaw dropped like a sack of bricks. Rarity and Fluttershy was busily planting both hooves over her mouth to conceal their blushing. Twilight on the other hoof was too busy preventing herself from formulating wild accusations and putting them all to question, thanking her lucky stars that nopony else was around, save her friends.

“H’oh boy...this is gettin’ weirder by the minute,” murmured Applejack, slowly backing up to Fluttershy’s side.

Celestia, unphased by the girl’s shocked expressions, moved her head forward, putting her lips up to Amalthea’s exposed ear.

“Amalthea...” Celestia whispered softly. “...it’s us.” The caring princess whispered the three barely audible words into the shaky unicorn’s ear before doing something the girls would have never expected from a pony of such high royal class. Taking it slow, the regal alicorn snaked her neck around Amalthea’s head, pulling the two together in a hug without hooves.

Amalthea’s eyes were hit with a splash of vibrant colors, returning the shine in her eyes as the two alicorns next to her continued to nuzzle her affectionately.

“S-Selene?” said Amalthea, mumbling. Luna smiled and gazed up meaningfully into Amalthea’s eyes.

“...Alectrona?” On those words, Celestia uncoiled her neck around Amalthea’s, bringing the side of her head to rest against Amalthea’s cheek, smiling softly.

“At long last, we’re together again...” said Celestia, smiling.

“And to think that I was too young to remember one as dear and as kind as you...” Luna followed up, happily continuing to nuzzle Amalthea’s neck. The satin unicorn closed her eyes and gladly accepted Luna’s gentle caresses, smiling with each new movement she made.

“Girls,” Celestia started, “Do not be alarmed by what you see. Long ago, this sort of greeting was normal between friends.”

Friends?!” shouted the girls.

Amalthea giggled when she saw the girl’s shocked expressions. “There’s more to this than what Alec--...Celestia has just told you. But, her mention of the Red Bull...” Amalthea nudged Celestia away from her face. Celestia, though slightly reluctant, complied with pleasure, smiling warmly when she and Amalthea locked eyes.

“The Red Bull is why we are here,” said Luna, slowly backing away from Amalthea’s side. “Amalthea, the Red Bull has--”

“--returned, yes. I know. I’ve known for quite some time,” said Amalthea, feeling slightly guilty for having cut in.

“You...you’ve known about this?!” exclaimed Celestia, eyes wide with shock.

“For how long, Amalthea?” Luna gasped.

“I didn’t think that you--” Amalthea started, only to be cut off by a furious rainbow pegasus’s outburst.

Hold on! Just hold on for like five minutes, ok?” Rainbow Dash shouted.

Rainbow!” Twilight snapped.

“Let it go, Twilight.” said Celestia, turning to face the girls. “I suppose that everypony here deserves answers, yes?” The girls nodded.

“I know from long ago that pegasi can be a bit grumpy,” Amalthea started. “But to see one angry...”

“Let’s hold off on that for a little while, Amalthea,” Luna suggested, raising a foreleg in front of her.

“Please, everypony, sit. There is more to this than you think,” said Celestia, lowering herself to her haunches. Luna, Amalthea, and the other girls followed suit. Celestia, encouraged by memory of Amalthea’s warm smile, cleared her throat in silence before speaking.

“I’m sure that you all have a lot of questions as to why Luna and I did what we did, and how the two of us know her and greet her as if she were part of the royal family. Well, that’s because...she is,” Twilight, face full of wonder, already had her hoof raised halfway into the air, soon forced to lower it when Rarity annoyingly blocked it with her own hoof.

“Or was, rather,” Luna continued from where Celestia had left off. “Long ago, before the kingdom of Equestria was formed, there lived a race of utopian unicorns with an incredible magical prowess unlike anything you have ever seen before!”

“From conjuration, to the powers of controlling the weather, these unicorns were some of the most powerful and most gifted creatures in all the land,” said Celestia. “Through these powers, they created and lived in peace, caring for one another, and protecting each other from whatever may choose to harm them,” Twilight was practically on the edge of her seat with excitement.

“Uh huh, uh huh. She told us already!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash, pointing her hoof at Amalthea. “What does this have to do with us? I get pulled out of my bed by some letter, and now I have to sit through a little foal’s storybook reading!”

“We’re getting to it, miss Dash. Just hold on for a few minutes more,” pleaded Luna. Rainbow Dash grunted and crossed her forelegs over her chest. The old ways of the pegasi were all coming back in Amalthea’s eyes, making her giggle on the inside.

“Anyway,” Celestia awkwardly continued. “Through the power of their friendship and love for one another, the unicorns brought all the known world to a peaceful resolution for all innocent creatures, save only those as powerful as the unicorns, who could have destroyed their entire race if they wanted too, but even they wanted to live peacefully. Like the pegasi, or oddly enough, the minotaurs.”

Rainbow Dash wasn’t paying attention in the slightest, having already been told most of the information by Amalthea a few days ago, once again wasting precious reading time. Rarity, disgusted by Rainbow’s rudeness, urged her to pay attention with a cold stare. The rainbow-haired pegasus grunted and complied with latency.

“So how do you and Luna know Amalthea, and why do you act so caring around her?” Twilight asked. “You said that she was a member of the royal family, but she’s told us her age, which was what really shocked us from the start, and seeing as to how young she looks, on top of the similarities she shares with you, then I could only assume that...” Twilight paused, the thought of a terribly shocking truth slamming into her mind like a bolt of greased lightning. Celestia nervously looked away from Twilight. She knew what Luna knew, and by the slightly ashamed look on her sister’s face, the unveiling of her secret long-kept away from the warring eyes of Equestria was going to be a painful one indeed.

The girls watched as Twilight rose to her hooves and moved closer Celestia and Amalthea, taking long stares back and forth between their faces, taking note of the similarities and the differences. Her search turning up empty, she peeked around Amalthea’s front and took a quick glance at her cutie mark, finding very little useful information to work with.

That cutie mark... Twilight thought. But, her name. Amalthea...Selene...Alectrona? They sound similar, but how could--

Then, it hit her.

No...no! It can’t be! That’s impossible! She’s just a unicorn! How could--

“Twilight, dearie, is something wrong?” Rarity asked, slightly worried.

“No, Rarity,” Twilight replied, turning her gaze back to the still-nervous royals. “But there’s something that I just have to know.” Soon, even Amalthea had caught on to Twilight’s thoughts, but not in the bad way that Celestia and Luna had taken it. The feeling of shame was somewhat of a mystery to her.

Twilight stepped closer to the downtrodden regal. Luna watched her with quiet distress.

“Amalthea’s strange, but sudden appearance, the way that she looks, the friendship you share and the way that you share it. I can only draw one conclusion, and princess, I must ask you a single question...”

The anticipation set in from Twilight was so thin that you could cut it with a butter knife. All eyes were now on the lavender bookworm, ready and waiting to listen in on what she was about to say. The all-too-friendly trio held their breaths, bracing for the worst.

“Is Amalthea...your sister?”

A coat of silence overtook the tension-high atmosphere as the girls looked to Celestia for an answer.

“...yes,” murmured Celestia.

“Our long-lost, left-alone, cold, frightened...” Each word Luna spoke stabbed into her soft soul.like a barbed dagger. Tears welled up in her eyes as the princess of the night began to sob with remorse. Amalthea, with her ages-old kindness, forced a new wave of emotions to rise. With the utmost care, the caring unicorn leaned down and nuzzled Luna behind the ears while the nightly alicorn sobbed into Amalthea’s neck fur.

“There is nothing to be ashamed of, Luna. We did not leave her,” said Celestia to her crying sibling.

“Oh my, i-is she alright?” asked Fluttershy in a whisper, moving to brighten the mood of the solemn princess.

“What’s the matter with the poor dear? Is there anything we can do, princess?” asked a worried Rarity.

“No, girls. This has happened only one other time, and Luna pulled through it just fine,” explained Celestia, watching as her secret sister whispered soothing words into Luna’s ear.

“Please, allow my...sister to finish.” said Amalthea, pulling her head out from behind Luna’s ears. She nodded to Celestia, who nodded back in acknowledgment and looked towards the girls.

“Yes, Amalthea is my sister, but Luna is also my sister, but this has been so for thousands of years. Long ago, in this very land, centuries before Equestria was ever founded, unicorns were practically worshiped as the highest and most powerful of all the creatures. Nothing could match up to our strength, our majesty, or our magic.”

“But you’re not unicorns! You’re alicorns!” Twilight cut in. “Amalthea is not an alicorn, so how can you say that she is your sister? How does any of this make any sense?!”

“Yes, Luna and I are of alicorn origin, but that does not make Amalthea any lesser part of my family.” The snow white equine fell to her haunches, then slowly descended to the floor until she lay flat on her stomach. “We share the same parents, but Amalthea was the middle child.”

Amalthea nudged Luna to her hooves, the black and blue alicorn having ceased her crying only a few short minutes ago. Luna looked away from her sisters and the girls, not wanting to experience any more pain from sorrowful memories.

“May I explain, Celestia?” Amalthea asked. “Or would you prefer it if you did?”

“Go ahead, Amalthea. I fear that if I tried to explain it, Luna may descend into sadness again.” Celestia waved Amalthea off, signalling her to begin. Amalthea nodded and turned to face the girls.

“You see girls, thousands of years ago, Celestia, Luna, and I lived together in a grove of peace made all of our own. We tasked ourselves everyday to keep the world which we lived in balanced. Of course, we were much younger back then, which made our everyday plans a little difficult. Celestia raised and lowered the sun and the moon, for Luna was just a little one and her magic was not strong enough for such as task. My job was to protect the innocent creatures of our domain from harm, such as predators or natural disasters. We lived in such a way for decades uncountable, until the Red Bull came...”

Celestia felt it right that she picked up the rest of their history. “To the North lived a bipedal species of mammals, vicious and infamous for their heinous acts of killing and violence. They have long since died out, but their actions still run red with the blood of those that have suffered at their might. But, out of all of them, lived a single creature. A king with such a distaste for the world outside, he felt only sadness and misery for his entire life.”

“What does any of that have to do with the Red Bull?” Twilight asked.

“This king felt that the only way to restore happiness in his life was to capture and hold none other than the most beautiful and majestic creatures to have ever existed.”

“The unicorns...” Luna whispered, shuddering.

“One day, the king made a deal; a deal with a devil, the Red Bull. Luna and I left our forest home to lower the sun and raise the moon, just like we did every day. We trekked through the land, and scaled up the side of the tallest mountain until we reached its peak. But, when we arrived, Luna felt that something was terribly wrong. It was as if all the world was silent; void of all noise. The unicorns that we usually passed by were not there to greet us.”

“There was nothing but silence...” Luna whispered through partially-opened lips.

“Then, as we descended the mountain, the ground beneath us began to shake. The earth split open and crumbled as hundreds upon hundreds of unicorns sped towards us, sweeping us by left and right. The looks in their eyes were horrible; menacing; terrified. They were running in fear. Fearful for their lives. On the rise, the Red Bull ran behind them, chasing the unicorns to the ends of the earth. For a minor second, it turned its gaze to Luna and I. His eyes were filled with rage, his soul with fire, and his body with pain, terrible pain. Just as the unicorns were, we were frightened beyond belief. For reasons unknown, we could no longer control our actions. We wanted to escape the beast’s gaze, but couldn’t. Our minds were compelled to turn and flee. We ran with the unicorns, day and night, never stopping. We grew tired, weary, and just when we thought the worst was over, the Red Bull herded us to the sea, where we were kept as his prisoners, defenseless, powerless, and without any hope of rescue.”

“So, where was Amalthea when all of this happened?” Twilight asked.

“I...” Celestia’s mind drew a blank. “I don’t know, Twilight.” She turned to face Amalthea with worried eyes. “Where...where were you when the Red Bull took us away? Where were you, Amalthea?”

Luna, eyes wide with sudden epiphany, rose to her hooves and backed away from Amalthea, lips quivering. “Where were you while we suffered? When we were forcibly torn away from each other?” Stray tears began to fall from Luna’s eyes.

“Selene, please--” Amalthea started.

“No!” Luna shouted. “You are not worthy to call me by that name! You left us, and you know it!”

“She did not leave us, Luna. We left her, alone and without family,” said Celestia.

Luna opened her mouth to respond, but only sobs came out, broken and full of hurt. Giving up entirely, she fell to her haunches and let her head hang low, allowing Amalthea to approach the grief-stricken princess and lovingly pull her into another hug.

“I’m sorry, Amalthea. I’m just so sorry...” Luna whimpered. Amalthea whispered calming words into her supposed sister’s ear as her sobs began to clear up.

“The elements of the cosmos...” Twilight whispered, looking down at the floor, deep in thought.

“Please forgive me, princess,” Rarity perked up. “But there’s just one thing I can’t seem to wrap my head around...”

Celestia turned away from the tearful scene, and looked to Rarity with teary eyes of her own. She nodded her head once, acknowledging her request to speak.

“Referring back to Twilight’s questions, how is it that Amalthea is related to you and Luna as a sister?” asked Rarity. “I don’t see many similarities here, save the height and horn length.” she pointed out, taking back and forth glances between the two.

“I think we all wanna know that, sugarcube,” said Applejack, nodding in sync with the other girls.

“I’ve got it, everypony!” exclaimed Twilight. “The cosmos! The elements of the cosmos!” Twilight rose to her hooves and spun around to face the girls.

“Their names, everypony, the similarities! Think about it!” Twilight turned in the opposite direction, streaking a sweeping hoof across the three equines. “Just look at them! Same height, same horn length, and oddly enough, same hairstyle, but there is one little difference that makes them unique!”

“Well, ah’ don’t see any wings on Amalthea there. That’s ‘bout all I could give ya,” said Applejack.

“Close Applejack, but not quite,” said Twilight. The purple-haired unicorn turned full circle, scanning the many bookshelves around the room until her eyes fell upon one. Using her magic, she levitated a large, felt-bound omnibus down from the shelf and up to her face, opening it and flipping through the many aged pages before stopping.

“I never thought that these names would come up, but hearing Amalthea say them only makes them more true!” Twilight beamed while she stared down at the book’s text.

The unicorn looked up from her reading and pointed a hoof to Celestia.

“Alectrona...”

Then to Luna.

“Selene...”

Finally, she pointed to Amalthea.

“And...well, Amalthea!”

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” demanded Rainbow Dash.

Twilight giggled, giddy with excitement having finally pieced it all together. “It’s all too obvious, Rainbow Dash! Those names are incredibly old, but their meanings remain clear. Alectrona, the sun; Selene, the moon; and Amalthea, the stars! They’re the elements of the cosmos, all three of them! In today’s dialect, those names translate to yours truly. Celestia, Luna, and Amalthea, which stays the same. They’re meant to be together! If one falls away, they no longer remember who they really are. Most of their memories would just vanish in a short time.”

“It seems to be that your times of study have paid off, Twilight,” said Celestia, smiling at her student’s accomplishment.

“Thank you, princess,” Twilight replied, smiling back before closing the book.

“But names aren’t going to help us now...” Luna spoke up in a whisper. The dark-maned alicorn freed herself from Amalthea’s embrace and looked towards the girls with worried eyes. “The Red Bull is getting closer. I can feel it...”

~~~~~

He made it.

At long last, he had arrived, weary and exhausted.

His head hurt. His chest hurt. His legs hurt.

His entire body was in pain. Terrible pain.

With each step he took, another blade of ice cleaved through his bulk. His inferno flicked, threatening to die out as another wave of jagged snow slammed into his midsection. He cried out in agony, screaming bloody-mary.

For days now he had been running across this icy, hardened land, never stopping, never resting; not even for a second. He saw nothing along the way, his senses carrying him wherever they may take him.

He took another step forward, powering through the remainder of the icy torrent. When it cleared, he bulked up and charged ahead, completely ignoring the pain as he started up a tall hill. He was so close to his prize that he could almost taste the sweet nectar of triumph.

Soon, very soon, his troubles would be over. All that he had worked for, all the pain that he had suffered would soon grant him victory over the last of his sworn enemy.

Within a minute’s time and at the speed of freight train, he came to a thundering halt at the top of the hill. He stared down from the high point; down at the sight of a prosperous village on the valley floor.

It didn’t make any sense. The marauding race of which his old master belonged to had long since died out. Did some fraction of their species survive their own destruction?

Nevermind that for now. The scent he had been following was still thick in the cold air. He took it all in, savoring in the mystifying luster. It would be a glorious day for him indeed to end the accursed unicorn’s life once and for all. His original prime directive was no longer necessary. Taking the time to chase the unicorn to its watery prison would only slow him down, and may possibly kill the unicorn in the process.

Upon taking in a second whiff, he realised that he was closer than he thought. He followed the trail with his nose until his own eyes fell upon a tall, tree-like structure. A binocular inspection with his ominous eyes revealed that it was in fact, a home carved out from a massive oak tree. Most intriguing, but he wasn’t here to admire the village architecture.

His prize was in there. Cowering behind the tree’s thick walls like a rat in a trench. No barriers would stand in his way. If he could run through a mountain and live, then he could most certainly take down a few mere walls of wood.

His suffering was almost at its end. He reared his head to the sky, looking up to the dark, drab clouds that blanketed the roof of the world. Most of his memories were gone, burned and charred by the flames of hate that lived within his soul. A cruel form of memory loss, but to him, nothing else mattered in the world right now.

With anger and pain still boiling in his molten heart, he parted his jaws and belched a flaming, thunderous roar; a roar so powerful and strong, that the force of it vibrated the air around him and tore a large, gaping hole in the clouds above, which was quickly mended by a rogue head wind.

Much to his annoyance, already at a great height, another snowy wind came around, slamming into his face head on, blinding him. He didn’t care. So long as his other senses led him to his enemy, he could care less about anything else in the world.

He positioned himself for a charge on the hilltop, poising his legs underneath his massive girth.

It was time. Time to end it all.