• Published 2nd Apr 2012
  • 8,409 Views, 103 Comments

The Next to the Last Unicorn - Hivemind



The Red Bull of King Haggard returns to tyranize unicorns everywhere

  • ...
13
 103
 8,409

Part 1

Hello there little butterfly! Welcome!...

-long ago and covered their footprints...

I am Schmendrick the Magician!...

*sniffle*

I held you!...

The last! I knew you were the last!...

*sniffle*

After much walking, Amalthea had finally reached the enchanted grove that was placed deep within the forest she protected every day. In her mouth, she held a bouquet of sweet smelling petunias. A butterfly that had hitched a ride on one of the flower petals earlier unfurled its delicate wings and flew away into the morning sky. Amalthea watched it as it left. When the butterfly flew out of sight, she resumed her slow and sulking pace through the hallways of flower bushes and vines.

Run, run! She will kill you! You must run!...

Not alone! You never could have freed yourselves alone!...

No. Come with me. Come with me!...

A glistening tear fell from Amalthea's eye and hit the soft ground beneath her. The dirt soaked it up immediately. Her pupils quivered, but she dare not cry, not in a place like this.

She reached the end of the long garden grove and took in a deep breath before releasing it, trying at her best to keep her sadness contained. She stopped and looked up at the object of her grieving.

A tall statue of a very old man stood proudly in the middle of a ring of planted roses. A waterfall ran down from the small mountain behind the statue and occasionally sprayed a jet of clear water onto the back side of the stone. The old man held both of his arms up high into the air. In one hand, he held a twisted wooden staff that slid through a hole carved out from within the man's clenched fist. In the other hand, the man held a tiny book with a symbol of a boar's head carved into the book cover. A long stone beard ran down from the man's chin all the way to his robed chest. The man had no hair, but instead he wore a worn woolen pointed hat. Amalthea allowed another tear to drop when her mind turned to an old memory.

Step down my lady. You are free!...

Amalthea closed her eyes and moved her gaze down to a solid gold plaque that was riveted into the statue's base. Another tear dropped.

Here lies Schmendrick

The Roving Wonder

Master Magician and savior of the mythical beasts

Amalthea lowered her head and let the bouquet drop from her teeth. A small cloud of sweet smelling mist coming from the spray of the waterfall enveloped the flowers. The mist thickened and the offering was lost from sight. A few moments later, the mist retracted from the base of the statue, and vanished into the air. The bouquet was gone, but she knew that would happen. It always happened, and she knew who was responsible.

Amalthea lifted one of her front legs and slowly placed a hoof onto the golden plaque. A sudden gust of wind rustled the trees nearby and the waterfall kicked up another spray of sweet mist. A deep, low moan whistled through the air and the wind carried a small group of pink flower petals past her face. One of the petals made a sudden left turn and landed on the tip of her nose. Amalthea smiled and gently brushed it off.

"I miss you as well, old friend. I miss you every day..." Amalthea spoke to the statue. Another spray of mist kicked up and blew towards her face. She giggled when she felt the fine droplets brush against her nose. "I will always miss you..."

"A-Amalthea?"

Amalthea recognized the calling voice almost instantly. She bowed to the statue and turned away from it.

"Hello there Arabelle." said Amalthea to her long time unicorn friend standing curiously in front of her.

"Twelve-hundred years right?" asked Arabelle.

"Yes. Twelve-hundred years..." Amalthea turned her head around to face the statue once more. "Twelve-hundred years, and yet I still regret as to what happened all those years ago. For twelve-hundred years, I have tended to Schmendrick's burial site, and even though he still greets me every year I visit this place, I still feel the one thing that no other unicorn of my time could have ever felt, regret..." Her eyes were starting to quiver and tear up again. Arabella took a few steps forward and gently nuzzled the side of Amalthea's face.

"It is alright Amalthea. He saved you from certain death, and you repaid him by granting him his true wish." Arabelle turned her head and smiled at the statue's face before continuing, "He saved all of us. If it weren't for him, unicorns would have never existed in the world today. Through his kindness and bravery, unicorns and other mythical beasts are free to roam the world."

Even through Arabelle's comforting words, Amalthea was still not convinced. "E-excuse me Arabelle, but I need to take a short walk..."

Arabelle removed her hoof from Amalthea's shoulder and let it slip down to the ground. "Alright Amalthea. I will leave you to it."

After Arabelle and Amalthea bowed to each other, Arabelle turned around and left the garden.

"Schmendrick..." Amalthea whispered as she turned back to face the statue. At the sound of her voice, a low moan seemed to whistle through the trees directly into her ears. "Would...would you mind?" Amalthea was acknowledged by another low moan, this one being much louder than the previous one.

Amalthea raised her head high into the air. Her long, white horn started to glow with a silvery luminescence. The sky started to go dark, and vines rustled on the garden walls. All around her, flower petals began magically detaching themselves from their respective holding places. A sudden gust of dusty wind blew the petals towards her, where they then began to circle around her as the wind picked up speed. In just a few moments, she was completely surrounded by a tornado of multicolored flower petals, and with a bright flash of light from her horn, she was whisked away from the tranquility of the garden.

The wind began to slow down as the magical energy began to fade. The torrent of flower petals split and broke away, and when the winds finally came to the halt, they drifted down to the rocky earth beneath Amalthea's hooves.

Hesitant at first, Amalthea opened her eyes and looked on with sorrow in her eyes out at the wide ocean in front of her. The blue waves crashed against the shore of the beach one at a time, each crash spraying a fine mist into her face, reminding her of the old times.

She turned away from the ocean expanse and looked towards a dark, rocky cliff that loomed over the beach. The edge of the cliff was several hundred feet above the sea. Carved into the side of the cliff, was a deep and dark cavern that used to house a creature of such fierce anger and hate, that its rage was fueled entirely by the desire for true happiness of a lonely king with the brain of a madman. He was all that was left of his family, except for one other person. His son.

Then let our quest end here. I doubt I could have ever changed you back into the unicorn you once were anyway!...

Everything dies! I want to die when you die!...

"Leer..." Amalthea whispered to herself as a few stray tears began to fall onto her cheeks. She shook her head in an attempt to get rid of the tidal wave of sad memories that started to drift into her conscious. She took one final look at the silvery ocean, then she turned away and charged her horn for the return trip back home.

Out of nowhere, a very loud, but very deep moan echoed through the cavern within the rocky cliff, kicking up dust at the exit. The wind picked up, and sparks of white magical energy started to swirl around Amalthea's body. A short while later, her horn let out a very bright flash of light, and Amalthea disappeared into the shining veil.

~~~~~

Haggard!

"Haggard?..."

Haggard! Haggard! Unicorn!

"Uni-corn?..."

Unicorn! Haggard! Unicorn!

"Unicorn...Unicorn!?"

The skies above the blue sea immediately went black, and the sea tossed and turned like never before. Massive arcs of red and blue lightning whipped across the sky and over the horizon. The face of the cliff started to rock and shake violently, breaking away massive chunks of solid rock and hurling them straight into the darkened depths. The seawater began to boil, waves crashed over one another, and like a divine god would part the oceans, a massive horned beast of endless fire and smoke rose from the depths. It stepped out of the water and breathed in deeply as it took in its changed surroundings. Its twin horns glowed brightly with the most hellish shade of red hot coals, and its eyes were both bloodshot and aflame.

The unicorn Haggard! Get the unicorn!

The beast reared up on it back legs and let out a bloodthirsty roar that echoed off in the distance for miles. The force of its roar was so powerful and fierce, that the cliff nearby split apart and crumbled down into a massive pile of dusty rubble, most of it falling into the sea. The beast dug its front feet into the ground and arched its back, and with one powerful kick, it took off like a rocket towards the far away mountains, leaving behind a long trail of fire and singed earth with every step it took.

~~~~~

Amalthea looked down at her reflection on the surface of the clear pond. This day was always a sorrowful day for her, for it always reminded her of Schmendrick's death. It also reminded her of the painful feeling of regret, a mortal curse that was placed upon her soul many hundreds of years ago when Schmendrick was still alive.

Yet this day was somewhat of a happy day for her as well, for Schmendrick is regarded as a hero to the immortal unicorns. This sole fact brought some rays of happiness to her day, but not enough to overpower her eternal feeling of regret that she could never seem to get over.

Amalthea took a short sip of water from the pond, picking a clean patch of water before drinking of course. The pond looked the same as it always had, for it was the same pond where she had met the singing butterfly that began her quest in the first place. She even remembered certain songs and poems that it sang for her, and while they annoyed her to some degree, it was still a lovely gesture for a first time greeting.

Nearby, a twig snapped, causing Amalthea to raise her head from the pond in alarm.

“Oh, my apologies Amalthea.” said Arabelle as she came strolling out from behind the cover of the trees, “I just came around to get a drink. Are you feeling any better after your walk?”

“Yes, thank you for asking.” Amalthea and Anabelle lowered their necks down to the pond in unison and took in a long drink of cool water. When Amalthea was finished, she wiped her mouth with one of her hooves and brushed away a tiny bit of moss that stuck to her hoof tip.

“Arabelle, where are the others today? I haven’t seen them in quite some time. Where could they have gone?” Amalthea asked.

Arabelle finished drinking and she too wiped her mouth clean. “I think that Bastilla went to the Northern areas of the forest to take Juhani’s place, for she is not well today and must stay in bed. Aria is in the east, and Matilda is near the outskirts, keeping watch for predators.”

“Thank you for telling me.” Amalthea replied.

“You’re welcome sister. We know what this day means to you, and with Juhani sick and in bed, Bastilla was kind enough to take up her duties while I take up yours. It is the least I could have done.”

“I thank you for that as well.”

“You’re welcome to that as well, dear sister.”

Suddenly, a low moan, this one coming from the direction of Schmendrick’s grave, bellowed out from within the treeline.

“Schmendrick?” Amalthea questioned the wood.

The moan came once again, this time accompanied by a sudden gust of wind that rustled the trees all around them. A thunderous boom resounded around the mountains off in the distance. The sky above darkened and the clouds turned black and grey, indicating the coming of a rain storm.

“Rain?” Arabelle questioned to herself, “During the afternoon? That’s rare...”

“Rare or not, I must return to Schmendrick’s grave to protect it from the storm.” Amalthea cantered to the edge of the clearing and bid her sister farewell. When Arabelle was out of sight, Amalthea quickly turned and made haste down the dirt pathway that led to her friend’s lavish burial site.

~~~~~

“Unicorn...unicorn...the last...”

The fiery beast uttered to itself as it neared the top of the steep hill. It was exhausted, but it did not want to give up, not until its goal was met.

With one final push from its strong back legs, the beast made it to the top and looked out over the wide valley floor below. From the beach up to here, the beast had been tracking the unicorn by the traces of pure magic that the immortal being left behind.

Through the walls of fiery anger in its eyes, the beast could see the trail leading down the hill directly towards a forest off to the side. The trail stops when it reaches the treeline.

Loud claps of thunder shot across the sky and rain clouds began to clump together. Before long, raindrops fell from the sky and landed on the ground and onto the beast’s flame engulfed back. The beast groaned under its breath in pain as each new raindrop stabbed into its form like a tiny dagger, but not even the ice cold rain could deter the beast. It raised itself on its back legs and let out a bloodcurdling roar that shook the ground beneath its feet and caused a flock of birds off in the distance to squawk and fly away in terror.

With the same thunderous force as before, the beast dug its front legs into the ground and kicked off with its back legs, sending it into a frenzied charge down the hill. The rain was now coming down even harder, bringing only pain and suffering along with it, but the beast refused to let its fires die down as he neared the forest treeline.

~~~~~

The rain was now coming down in sheets, producing fog. and reducing visibility. Amalthea had to feel around with her hooves to find the entrance to the grove. When she made it inside, she generated a magical barrier from her horn. and used it to seal away the entrance and the open roof above. Once that was done, she made her way to the back of the grove and sat down on her haunches when she reached the foot of the statue. A low moan acknowledged her presence.

“Schmendrick, I’m here. I have come to protect your resting place from the wind and rain that falls around us.” Amalthea waited for a response, but it did not come. “Are you alright Schmendrick?” A response came with this question in an unusual form. The wooden staff that was held by the statue started to pulsate with a green light.

“That is...a bit strange Schmendrick. I have never seen you do that before.” The light from the staff started to pulsate at a much faster rate. A deep moan echoed through the shielded gardens and the vines started to rustle. There was no wind inside of the magical barrier, so Amalthea interpreted these signals as a bad sign. She was starting to become worried.

“Schmendrick? What’s wrong? Please Schmendrick, please give me a clear sign.”

The green light on the staff stopped pulsating at the sound of Amalthea’s worried voice. The staff then changed colors from green to red and the magical barrier covering the ceiling started to ripple like water in a glass. The intensity of the staff’s light increased and before long, the magical barrier above split in two and dissipated, letting the torrents of water rain down upon the sacred ground of the gardens.

Now Amalthea was very confused. Why would Schmendrick openly allow the wind and rain to damage his burial site? She decided to question him.

But before she could open her mouth to speak, a shrill roar like that of a banshee’s wail tore through the air, shaking the grassy earth beneath her feet. Even through the ear splitting, earth shaking cries, Amalthea trembled in her hooves, for she knew where and what the roaring was coming from. She was so petrified in fact, that she curled herself into a ball and covered her eyes with her front hooves, for she dare not look upon what was coming her way.

“No...no...not again! Not again! The bull!” Amalthea cried out while fearful tears poured from her eyes.

A very powerful gust of wind slammed into Amalthea’s back, forcing her to the ground. She gathered her senses and stood up straight, eyeing Schmendrick’s statue with a look of shock. The staff had changed colors once again, this time to a dark blue hue. Not only that, but from where Amalthea was standing, it looked as if the facial expression of the statue had changed as well. It now boasted a scowl of hate and disgust. The stone lips were parted, revealing a set of rectangular stone teeth that was not there before when the statue was first created.

From the trees nearby came another low moan, bringing chilly winds along with it.

“Unicorn...”

“I...I can’t believe as to what I am hearing...” Amalthea whispered to herself.

Slowly but surely, Amalthea uncovered her eyes and looked on with horror at the sight of the four-legged beast that stood away from her. Its eyes were red and full of fire, its entire body aflame and crackling with each raindrop that fell down upon it, and its twin horns glowed a bright orange.

The Red Bull of King Haggard. So you know of the bull?...

With every part of her being, Amalthea wished that she had never known what the Red Bull was, for it was the very same creature that she, along with Schmendrick, had encountered hundreds of years ago. This fiery beast of torment and sadness wrought Amalthea’s soul just to look upon it, for it was the same creature that followed the evil commands of the mad king Haggard, all in the name of his goal to find true happiness, which only led to own demise.

“I have waited for this moment...” Amalthea was shocked to hear the bull speak words, “Finally, I will rid the world of you, all of you, for it is the only thing that will make me happy...”

The bull stepped forward, causing Amalthea to step back, where she then hit the stone base of the statue behind her. She could make out a faint chuckle from underneath the bull’s tattered breaths. When the bull was in the perfect striking position, it reared up on its hind legs, let out another earth shaking roar, and charged with full force towards the statue. Amalthea screamed and shielded her eyes, cowering in fear at the inevitability of her coming fate.

“Schmendrick!” she cried out as the raging beast drew closer.

As soon as her cry echoed off in the distance, the staff in Schmendrick’s hand flashed with a bright white light, causing the entire garden to light up with activity. All around the statue, vines increased and broadened in size as they detached themselves from the trees and hurled themselves at the bull, wrapping it in a thick blanket of strong plant life. The beast struggled under the force of its bounds, screaming and roaring, trying at its best to free itself.

Just above Amalthea’s frightened form, stone grinded against stone as the twin arms of the statue started to close in, eventually coming to a stop when the two hands collided with each other.

“Sch-Schmendrick?”

With one hard push and a roar louder than any other, the bull broke free from its twisted bonds and charged with brute force, flames and sparks shooting out of its nostrils. Amalthea screamed.

“Schmendrick!”

On those words, the joined arms reared back over the statue’s head and immediately bounced back forward.

“No! Not like this!” the bull shouted when it was only a few feet away from its long lost prize.

Not even a second later, the bottom of the wooden staff slammed onto the ground, blinding Amalthea with a intense solar flare. Just before the bull reached her, she vanished into the ether, leaving nothing behind but an angry bull, a burning garden, and a crumbling stone figure.

~~~~~

“Schmendrick...no, please no...”

Crickets chirped, and lightning bugs lit up the night air around Amalthea as she lay in the middle of a grassy field, weeping in sorrow. Her tears soaked into the dirt on the ground and ran through her disheveled mane.

“Why, oh why! Why must I be cursed with this...regret!?” Amalthea tearfully and angrily cried out into the night. The crickets ceased their chirping for a moment, then resumed once the crying unicorn buried her face into her hooves.

“E-excuse me?”

Amalthea gasped with surprise at the soft, sullen voice that originated behind her. “Arabelle?” she asked as she scrambled up from the ground and turned around, only to gasp once more when she finds herself staring at the worried face of a yellow pegasus much smaller than herself. The pegasus carried a wicker basket on its back filled with various fruits. Amalthea's lips started to quiver, and additional tears rolled down her white satin face.

“W-wait! Don’t cry, please don’t cry!” The yellow pegasus, though hesitant at first, stepped forward and wrapped its arms around Amalthea, pulling her into a comforting hug. The pegasus lightly cooed and shushed the crying unicorn in an attempt to calm her down, which started to work when Amalthea wrapped her own legs around the pegasus, returning the hug.

“Did something bad happen to you? Do you want to talk about it?” asked the pegasus. Amalthea did not speak.

“Here, why don’t we just go to my cottage so you can calm down? It’s not far from here, and it’s kind of chilly out here in the field. Would you like that?” Amalthea nodded her head in reply.

“Ok, c’mon. I’ll help you up.”

The yellow pegasus moved her head and front hooves underneath Amalthea’s chest, where she then pushed up against her, heaving her up on her hooves. Amalthea stumbled once, but soon recovered. The yellow pegasus stayed by her side and held her up using her forehead.

Amalthea leaned her head down to the pegasus’s ear and whispered a few words of thankfulness.

“Shh, don’t worry,” the pegasus continued to lightly shush and calm the sorrowful unicorn, “it’s all going to be ok.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Special (and ironic) thanks once again goes to Jonsey for inspiring the story idea. You never cease to amaze me.