• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 958 Views, 46 Comments

A Princedom Divided - Book 1 of The Princess and Her Guard Duology - Moonlit Novel



The Princess of the night falls for her personal guard, and their relationship grows. It also leads to a revolt, one that shattered the once great Princedom of Equestria. So Rises the NLR in a desperate attempt to protect ponies of Equestria

  • ...
11
 46
 958

Chapter Three: Overstepping Boundaries

Author's Note:

Well this didn't turn out EXACTLY like I had hoped, but never-the-less, please enjoy :twilightsmile:

Chapter Three: Overstepping Boundaries

Day 42... Yeah I skipped several days because not much happened then, just well, her doing more studying, and me and her conversing some more, not saying that it is a bad thing, I enjoy conversing with Luna, it just isn't something that is very noteworthy, though between the first day and now she finished another fifty years of history. How she did so I had no idea, nor did I care, to be honest, in my opinion, the sooner she returned to being an active member in ruling Equestria, the sooner most of these rumors would stop.

“Moonlit,” started Luna and I had a small smile upon my face

“Yes, Milady?” I asked and she glanced at me at my response but said nothing of it.

“Do you know why there was tension between us and the Zebras? I can understand the Minotaurs, as you cannot please everyone, but, to have two separate countries have such tension with us, a very peaceful Kingdom” she said, and I groaned, while I did know why that had happened, mostly because of an issue with a particular bit of land which we eventually just gave to them to end the squabbles, there was a small faction within the Zebra community that was the same as the Minotaurs, believing that Luna was truly evil, thankfully that was far from the official stance of the Zebra Empire. Even now after her return from her thousand year exile.

“There are several reasons for that, one of which is personal, but not the official stance, nor the belief of the ruling class of the Zebra Empire, and the other, was a land dispute” I said as I pretended to be reading the scroll in front of myself once more. However unlike before, when I was actually sneaking glances at Luna—yes I know a very stalker-ish behavior, but it wasn't solely for my benefit, whatever you may think, after the fight I had with her on my first day as her personal guard, I became privy to her mental state, or at least partly. And I was going to keep an eye on her so when she did finally find out about the reasons for the tension with the Minotaurs, and to be honest, with some of the dragon community, I know what to do—I was actually attempting to avoid talking about the “personal reason” of the tension.

“You're hiding something” she said point blank I sighed but shook my head

“I won't be the one to tell you, I-” I paused unsure on how to continue

“Go on” she prompted and there was an awkward silence as I figured how best to continue.

“I... I care too much to be the one to tell you, while yes I should tell you,” I said holding a hand up as I held off her interruption, “But I cannot, every time I thing about it, every time I open my mouth, I lose my voice, I fear the repercussions of telling you, and the repercussion of not telling you weigh as equally in my mind...”

“Then why even open your mouth about it?” she asked me, I closed my eyes trying to think of a clear answer

“Because, of that same loyalty you keep telling me you are not worthy of” I said finally after a few seconds of silence, not to figure a lie, no I could never do that to her, no.. To do some soul-searching to find an answer that was the truth that would not make the moment uncomfortable.

“You're hiding something again” she said and I smiled

“Not really, just, not reiterating something I had said before, not saying something that'll make this moment uncomfortable” I said attempting to not let myself get too comfortable, that is always how it starts, a guard gets too comfortable and soon after disaster strikes, Discord, and while in the end we benefited, the escape of Nightmare Moon, but in this case, it was about my feelings... Everyone loves to READ about a guard and a royalty, or nobility, falling for one another, accepting it in reality was another thing entirely, and I was not going to put Luna on the spot by reiterating my feelings for her.

“Ah...” she said shifting uncomfortably, “Your feelings for me?” DAMN IT! Can she read minds? Well whatever...

“Yes, Luna” I answer truthfully as, as per norm, I could not lie to her, our friendship, if not my loyalty to her kept me from lying to her, not knowingly at least.

“Is that why you are so loyal to me?” She knows just what questions to ask to make this uncomfortable doesn't she? But never the less I still responded

“I-... I don't know, Luna, I really do not know” she held my gaze for a few seconds, the longest few seconds of my life to that point, before returning to the scroll...

WHAT?!” she shouted waking me after I had dozed off, the sky was getting darker, that meant that soon she'd be taking her place in the watch tower

“What is wrong, Luna?” I asked suddenly alert and she whipped around and glared at me and started towards me her magic running a little wild.

“You knew! You knew the reason for the tense relations with the Minotaurs is because of me!” she yelled, but I said nothing, “You kept me in the dark! You say you have feelings for me, and yet you kept this hidden!” she continued and beat on my armor, I still said nothing. On and on she went yelling at me again and again, but still I said nothing, because I knew that I deserved it, that I should have told her, but I couldn't, I told her why I couldn't earlier that day, and now she was yelling at me only 51 years past where she started with me as her Personal guard. Still I said nothing even as she started to break down and beat on my armor tears of anguish rolling down her face, “Why!? Why won't you say anything!? Why are you making it so hard to be upset with you!?” she cried, oh how she just wanted to be upset with someone, and I was happy to be that someone, because it meant she could trust me with her feelings.

“Because,” I said breaking my silence, “I deserve this, why should I be defending myself? I should have told you, but I couldn't because I thought your momentary happiness was much more important than that of your knowledge”

“No, I should have” said a regal voice and we both turned around to see Princess Celestia standing there a sad look upon her face, “I am sorry sister, I should have told you a long time ago about how our relations were going with the other countries, and why” I wanted to interrupt, I wanted to say that it didn't excuse my silence, but with a small, gesture from Luna, I fell silent once more as she and her sister talked, or rather argued.

Now I probably shouldn't say this but when I saw Luna's wings flare during that argument I was ready to leap to her side, even against Celestia herself. Against her sister. However the argument soon subsided and with a wave of her hand as she was leaving the Library, I followed Luna out.

“Lu-”

“Not right now, Novel, she's still watching us” she said and I quieted down. As we reached the tower Luna twirled around to face me, the hem of her dress affected by the sudden movement lifted a few centimeters, not that it mattered the dress was a long one and covered her legs all the way to her feet. “Tell me, Moonlit, what do you think about tonight's sky?” she asked, confused I looked up and saw no stars and was about to comment before one by one at first, and then handful by handful, until it was droves and droves of stars started to appear. Never once had I seen the night sky like this before, as a blank canvas just before it was used, and I said as much, earning myself a small, yet beautiful smile. “That is how I always see it, a blank canvas to be used, to show my love, for my ponies” she said, almost as an afterthought. I smiled at her and removed my helmet, it would do me no good up here anyway, after all, while she was up here, I was naught more than company. “Moonlit, tell me what do you think of my sister?” Whoa... Awkward question considering how Luna knows how I feel about her, never-the-less I answered with the truth,

“I feel as if she is hiding more than she is willing to admit, perhaps about her own strength as well, as before your return, she was able to keep rising and setting the celestial bodies without fail, now it seems...” I drifted off, this was heading towards very dangerous territory...

“It seems as if her strength is waning perhaps?” finished Luna a frown on her face, “I do so hope you do not plan on ever using that against her” and with that I frowned back my gaze firm and absolute

“I will do whatever you order mine princess” I said and she gave another small smile and shook her head before enveloping me in a hug causing me to stiffen in surprise.

“I still say I am not worthy of your loyalty, but I'll take it”

“And what of my adoration, and love?” I teased lightly stepping away from her

“I'll take that too, every last bit of it, and I will use it to shape the stars” she responded leaving me speechless. Then she started to laugh and I glared at her playfully

“That wasn't nice” I told her and she looked affront

“Who said I was lying Moonlit, I will take your love and adoration and use it to shape the night sky, perhaps a small rendition of your love for me? Or how about-” she drifted off obviously in her work molding and shaping the night sky to her will, it was, as different from the times before, as before she had me wait at the bottom until she was finished, this was the first time I ever seen her do her job in person. “Of course you can't go there, shoo shoo, move along little star” she said oblivious to my existence as she worked, something I was happy for, as it truly meant that she really did trust me, so I leaned back and watched the artist at work summoning a quill and a scroll I started to write.

Star after star she guided to it's place
Shapes she grew at her own pace

My heart yearns evermore
To hold her close once more

My heart she claims once more anew
If only, if only, if only she truly knew

What power she holds over me
Shall always be, shall always be

Short, if to the point still it was more to add to my now growing collection of works that I had been writing since I was but a foal, but not since I was a foal had I added so much to it, for the last several days I wrote more and more. Glancing up at the sky I saw more and more shapes take place, and once or twice I glanced back at Luna a smile on my face, only to catch her looking at me and for her to look away a blush on her cheeks. Though I did not know it then this was the day she started to have, in her words, inappropriate feelings for me, her personal guard.

Being awake all day was taking its toll on me, even with the small nap I had gotten in the library that day. Normally I'd have taken the evening off by now, but recently I have found that I couldn't.

“You may rest, Moonlit, I did disturb your nap, and you have been awake for several days” Luna said almost as if she sensed that I was tired, but I shook my head.

“No, Luna, not tonight, but I may need to take tomorrow off” I said before adding, “I did not mean to fall asleep then either though, I do not have the stamina that an Alicorn has to stay awake for several days in a row” she laughed good naturedly.

“You did a fine job, and you kept your temper in check too, something not many can say the same. Yes... Tomorrow you and I will both take a break from our usual routine, I believe I will need to speak with my sister,” she almost spat out the word surprising me, and I knew my oath to Equestria demanded me to try to placate her, but yet my oath to her, as a Lunar Guard, and as someone who cares for her, demanded I let her get her feelings out, so complicated, matters of the heart... “You must think I am starting to lose myself once more...” she said, I answered right after, not even thinking.

“I do not think that, and even if you were, unlike before, you have your Lunar Guard. However I do not suggest that route” I said clearly stating that the Lunar Guard would be obey her orders, but also stating that at least from my perspective, things have not reached a point of aggression yet.

“Would you obey me if I ordered that?” she said spinning around to face me her face unreadable, the perfect poker face as it is called.

“I told you before, I will obey any order you give me. You once asked me to jump off of the balcony off the ballroom, and I did so, without reservation, it could have cost me my life, and I would do so again, without a second thought” I said

“And if I told you to... Never mind, just... Tell me this, Moonlit, is there a limit to what orders that I could give that you wouldn't follow?” she asked and I froze and had to think about it. As a member of her Lunar Guard I was duty-bound to obey her orders, on the same token, as her personal guard I am, again, duty-bound to protect her, regardless of her orders... “Well?” she asked growing impatient, “Is there a limit to what orders you would follow?” she said agitated

“Yes, there is, I will not obey any order that will put you in danger” I said finally

“And what if I gave you an order that required you to kill?” she asked me and again I froze, but only at the question, before answering just as strongly

“I would obey, I would question you after, but I would trust your judgment”

“And if my sister ordered you to do something, and I ordered the opposite?” she asked and I frowned, what was this? Twenty Questions?

“What your sister orders is of no consequence to me, nor to any of your Lunar Guard, we are required only to obey you” I said

“And is that why you obey me? Because you are required to?” she asked me her voice growing agitated once more.

“No, Luna, I obey you because I choose to. To do otherwise would involve me to lie to myself, or if I have to keep you from harm”

“I DO NOT NEED YOUR PROTECTION! I DO NOT NEED YOURS OR MY SISTER'S DAMNED PROTECTION!” she yelled, her anger surprising me as I took a step back out of reflex something that caught her attention, “I-I-I... J-just go” she said but I stood my ground this time

“No, Luna, right now, albeit not physically, you are a danger to yourself, if left alone” I said biting my lip and she glared at me.

“If you stay, you may be in-” she responded

“It is my life to wager” I said before she could finish her full thought and she gave me a worried look, however there was a look in her eye, almost as-... She clung to me, tightly, and she started to sob into my chest. More than anything I was unsure about what to do, I've never been in this position before and she sobbed all the more.

“I am the cause of such strife, the Minotaurs have threatened war, and there is nothing I can do but leave, but still even that won't save Equestria... Th-the Minotaurs want my life!” she cried, and I stood there frozen, what all had Celestia told her? What information did she keep from her own subjects? “Moonlit, if I told you to kill me, would you do it?” she asked between sobs, and I pushed her away, though it was gentle

“There is no way in Tartarus I would kill you-” I started and she grabbed at me once more, pulling me against her, as if she were afraid that she were alone in the universe, but how could she feel like that she has her sister, and she has me if no one else

“Please, I do not want Equestria to go to war” she begged and placing my hands on either side of her face, I lifted it and lower mine to meet hers, in a gentle kiss. If she wanted to die, I would show her what she would be losing, and what she would be leaving behind...