• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 958 Views, 46 Comments

A Princedom Divided - Book 1 of The Princess and Her Guard Duology - Moonlit Novel



The Princess of the night falls for her personal guard, and their relationship grows. It also leads to a revolt, one that shattered the once great Princedom of Equestria. So Rises the NLR in a desperate attempt to protect ponies of Equestria

  • ...
11
 46
 958

Chapter Eleven: The Multi-facet of War

Chapter Eleven: The Multi-facet of War

“PREPARE THE SECOND VOLLEY!” yelled the tactician as they assaulted Cloudsdale the hand cannons coming in handy for the assault on the city made of clouds. Rainbow Dash watched in sadness and the city that was once her home when she was young was now being assaulted, they foolishly thought that The NLR was just going to sit there and take every attack launched at them. The foolishly believed that because they lived in the clouds they were safe...

- - -

“HOW DARE YOU!?” shouted a Wonderbolt as he flew at the pegasus that were attacking Cloudsdale only to be tackled by another pegasus that was wearing a uniform similar to his own, only it wasn't blue and yellow, it was purple and black, it was a Shadowbolt, and the two traded blows as another Shadowbolt flew right over them, a rainbow trailing behind her, showing it to be Rainbow Dash, the “Loyal Traitor” as she was called, as her own Element seemed to still claim her as its own, glowing brightly in the vault of Canterlot. Rainbow flew straight into Spitfire engaging her before the yellow mare could finish off one of the enlisted pegasus under Regal Star's command...

“Not on my watch Spitfire!” she had said as the two continued their fight from Skyville...

- - -

“FORWARD MARCH!” shouted Golden Sword, his Earth pony forces, supplemented with Unicorn forces from Moonlit's Command marched towards Appleloosa, cannons being wheeled into position and swords being drawn and armors clanking against itself and the troops all sharing the same glare, the Appleloosains attacked not a fortnight ago and now it was time they paid...

- - -

“Come my little ponies, quiet now, quiet now. We must get into Canterlot without a noise.” said Luna as we climbed through the sewers our armors dry and packed away in our packs as we climbed through the sludge. The smell was most foul, the combination of all the waste in Canterlot converging at this one point...

- - -

“Perhaps they did not get the message, my brother?” said a voice that caused the room to grow cold where the voice had taken up residence, the lights in the room pulsed in time with what could be called a heartbeat.

“Or perhaps, they do not care, dear brother” said another the shadows of the room swirling around and around, the same with the light in the room.

“Should we correct them, brother?” asked the first voice and the second laughed, it laughed a terrible laugh...

“Yes, let's, dear brother, let us show them exactly what they have done, damning themselves to us and our rule, pity we cannot release Discord on them though” said the second the first voice “hmm’ed

“And why can we not?” asked the first voice, and the second chuckled

“Even divided as they are, they would unite under one banner to destroy Discord, but against us? They have no clue who we are, my dear brother” said the second voice, and then a unicorn had the unfortunate fate of walking into the room as the two voices were talking.

“H-he-hello?” the unicorn stuttered and the two voices regarded the unicorn for a moment, “I-I her-heard v-voices in h-here. I-is th-there an-anyp-pony th-there?” the two voices chuckled darkly

“Why, no, there isn't anypony in here, but you are welcome to meet your end, you nosy little vermin” said the second voice and then shadows wrapped around the unicorn's body and then forced it's mouth open, and the unicorn started to scream only for the light to force its way down it's throat, silencing it and burn its way through the poor pony's body and kill it, but only after causing the most pain it could cause.

“Good riddance, to pathetic garbage” said the first voice and then they both laughed darkly before the room darkened the light disappearing out the door, but it was nowhere near as dark as the shadows had been when the light had been there

- - -

Dark... Just as the night should be... My forces always trained in the dark, feeling that it was where they belonged, as members of the Evening Armada, I am sure they are right. However here in this darkness, I feel uneasy, me, the Princess of-No the Consul of the New Lunar Republic, it would be hard to get over calling myself a princess, and I knew that something was wrong especially when I saw two pony shaped lights in the sewer. Lights that moved just like they were alive, and just as soon as I saw them move I felt a burning pain on my side and I looked down and saw I now had a cauterized wound on my side I looked back at the shapes and noticed something that escaped my sights the first time around, where eyes would be I saw two pits of eternal darkness, and their hands were claws not hands.

“To arms!” said Moonlit, his armor appearing on him in a flash before he attacked the first light creature yes it had to be alive as it moved with a life of its own dodging Moonlit's strikes with little effort, the other unicorns that came with us quickly equipping their armor and drew their blades and attacked the creature of light...


- - -

Meanwhile in the Castle of Canterlot two pony shaped shadows, with eyes that burned brighter than the sun crept through the corridors and soon found their way into what was Celestia's room and before they could attack the shape in the bed a blast of light hit them square in the chest making them disappear.

“If my sister wants to send assassins to attack me in my own bed, then she will pay the price” said Celestia as Twilight climbed out of Celestia's bed, both of them missing something glaringly obvious.

“Did I do alright Princess?” she asked Celestia and the alicorn just gave Twilight a small smile and nuzzled the young unicorn gently, at least she hadn't betrayed her...

“It's Empress, my dear student. I am a princess no longer, if my sister wishes to tear our kingdom apart than I will reform it under a new banner” said Celestia and Twilight nodded.

“Yes Empress” said Twilight before bowing which caused Celestia's heart to clench, but this was the price of war, everything changes, and not always in a way you prefer...

- - -

Applejack paced around the room, she was placed in charge of the castle while Luna and the generals were away and she did not like it one bit, she would have preferred that Mayor Mare had been given that authority, but Princ-Consul Luna stated quite plainly that the mayor would be too busy with other tasks to see to the castle, which was now under the complete ownership of Consul Luna, stating in her final Royal decree that as she alone in the Republic knew all of its traps, twists and turns, she alone could live there safely...

- - -

“Pinkie! Your hair looks simply dreadful! What happened to it? What happened to its curls?” said Rarity as she visited the young mare, gone was her bright fur and bouncy hair, she looked as if someone had sapped the life out of her and her eyes they looked distant and crazed at the same time.

“Oh I'm fine” said Pinkie with a slight twitch as she finished the sentence, “I just have been a little... BUSY!” she continued

“If you're sure, Pinkie...” said Rarity as she backed out of the Sugercube Corner living quarters

- - -

“Fluttershy, we need your help getting some of the local animals to go deeper into the Everfree, there is-”

“No! I won't help you kill anypony! I don't care under what flag you fly” said a very angry voice

- - -

“Stand back, Moonlit, they only surprised me, I will remove them from existence” I said as I shot a blast of shadow magic into their chests

- - -

“Luna, are you alright?” I asked her and she nodded a frown on her face, “What is wrong?” I asked and she motioned to the spot where those creatures once stood.

“I have not seen their ilk for a long time, the last time I saw them was during Discord's reign, but even he did not like them, so I know that they were not allied with him, at least not willingly” she said and I went wide-eyed, perhaps were these creatures of the same ilk as the voice that tried to kill us a several days ago? I shook my head clear of those thoughts.

“Luna-Consul, we need to continue on” I said before sighing hard remembering our mission, we needed to get in and talk with Celestia, hopefully this would go off without a hitch, something I knew would not happen. We were sneaking our way to the leader of an enemy nation and expected to be able to walk right out the front gates right after? How stupid could we be? But Luna ordered this plan drawn up and so I did it and now it was up to me and the fates to somehow see us through this and somehow even more miraculously not get Luna captured...

Author's Note:

OK So this is a SHORT chapter and I apologize for that, but it could not be helped in this case, there was nothing more I could do in this chapter without ruining the next. So with that in mind please tell me what you think