• Published 6th Apr 2014
  • 1,115 Views, 14 Comments

The Pyromanecer - The Pyromanecer



Some say, Fire is a harbinger of light and the source of light itself. Some say it is a tool of destruction and death. Like two side of the same coin, fire is both of these things.

  • ...
7
 14
 1,115

Burning Oak

The Everfree. A mysterious and beautiful place of wonder and mystic audacity. But behind its magical veil lies a dark secret of shadow and evil. Despite all the monsters and the malevolent, chaotic nature of the forest there lies a certain….serenity. There are parts of the forest where evil does not corrupt and the best of the forest shines out. This is what made Pyromanecer love the Everfree. It was his mirror. A mirror which reminded him what he was. Many a time has risen where Pyromanecer almost drove himself to personally burn every tree in the forest no matter how long it took. But he couldn’t. He didn’t know why. He didn’t know if it was his conscience or his morality but whatever it was, he was thankful for still having it. Because his sanity is what kept him from going rampant and hurting the innocent. Pyromanecer never admitted to being a hero or a guardian. Neither did he accept being evil and wicked. But he could accept being a criminal. Sometimes to good deeds, you need to do bad things. Things which could lead to regret.

“You okay?” Cinder said breaking his train of thought.

“Yeah. I’m fine….just tired.” He lied.

“Maybe you should rest.” She said upsettingly.

“But I have to find the Timberwolf lair.” He said persistently.

“And what are you going to do when you find them?” Cinder said with slight doubt in her voice.

“Well….If there isn’t many of them then I could at least try and take them….but if there are too many then…” Pyromanecer stopped for a moment.

“Then?...” Cinder said urging Pyromanecer to continue.

“Then I’ll have to warn everyone….especially the Royal sisters….Hopefully they’ll know what to do.” Pyromanecer heard the rustling and crunching of leaves behind him. His blood turned so cold that it almost paralysed him. He slowly inched around to see sickly yellow glowing eyes in the darkness of the forest. As soon as Pyromanecer made direct eye contact with the glowing daggers. The snarling began to grow as the muzzle of the beast peered through the darkness into the light shining through the dense canopy. You can’t outrun a Timberwolf but you can at least try to fly away. But the option of flight was beyond any use in the situation in which he was in. He stood up on his hind legs and concentrated on summoning a flame into his hoof. When a small fireball appeared, slowly growing, he threw it at the ground to spread it across the dry grass and shrubbery. But he had to be careful. If he didn’t keep his concentration on the fire he would lose all control on the fire.

The timber slowly approached toward the small firewall and observed and lingered near it to predict how intense it was. After it saw that the fire wasn’t intense enough to cause major harm it simply stepped over it and continues to prowl towards the crimson stallion. Clever boy. Pyromanecer found this as an opportunity in which he needed to quickly initiate. Pyromanecer concentrated onto the fire and used all the emotion and memories he could muster to make the fire rise into the TImberwolf with extreme prejudice. The Timberwolf, noticing the rising heat, crouched lower to prepare to leap as it gave a canine growl and bark.

Pyromanecer, afraid and a memory then came into mind which sparked the need to make the fire rise. The memory in which Cinder’s life was claimed by the Timberwolves. He remembered seeing the light in her eyes dwindle and die as she died. He remembered the most powerful emotions that he was experiencing.

Pyromanecer opened his eyes to see ember’s rising from a pile of ash into the canopy above and the firewall slowly dwindling down. Pyromanecer’s chest gave in as he dropped to the floor, exhausted. He panted and coughed shaking his head to try and forget the memories and pain.

“That was….too close for comfort.”

“I’d say. You almost became his chew toy.” Cinder said trying to make a dark joke, her voice slightly weaker for a moment. Pyromanecer chuckled.

“I think I’ll take that rest now.” He said as he plumped down, sliding against the tree to the luscious green forest floor.

He was close. That Timberwolf was most likely a hunter or scout for no Timberwolf would ever go alone. But now. He need to rest and think of a way to take on multiple Timberwolves without getting too close. Because if he was killed now, then he wouldn’t be able to war everypony of the Timberwolves getting to dauntless and brave, getting dangerously close to Ponyville.

Pyromanecer flew up to the highest and most comfortable branch and tried to find a decently comfortable position to sleep in. As soon he was satisfies he closed his eyes and listened to the lullaby of nature to drift off to sleep.


Pyromanecer, after getting some much needed rest jumped down to the forest floor below and glanced around looking for anymore golden eyes peering at him. When he found none he continued on his way to find the pack of wolves stalking Fluttershy.

After walking for an hour or so he came across a cave embedded into the side of a small hill surrounded by low hanging trees. Upon further investigation from a distance there seemed to be movement in the darkness of the large cave.

“That has to be it.” Pyromanecer whispered. He paused looking for movement. “How many can you see?” He asked Cinder.

“Seven.” Cinder whispered calmly. Pyromanecer eye’s widened.

“Seven!?” He yelled in a hushed tone. The silence from Cinder indicated that she was trying to nod her head. Even though Cinder was dead she could still see through the eyes of her skull. But she saw things differently. She could see the magical aura and life essence of a creature. This came in handy when Pyro needed to know how strong his opponent was. But there’s a catch. She can only see through the skull’s peripheral vison. Meaning she could only see what Pyromanecer saw.

“What are you going to do?” She said, the words echoing in his mind.

“Well I can’t fight them…not on my own…So that leaves a few options….and I don’t think you’re going to like them.” He said

“Mhmmmm?” Cinder hummed, pushing Pyromanecer to continue. Pyromanecer sighed and watched as he heard the barking and howling of the pack.

“We could try and convince the dragons to burn them and their home.”

“Dragons hate ponies. Why would they help them?” Cinder said with a despising tone. “What’s the other idea?”

“….The other idea is that I gather evidence and try and get some rangers, mercenaries or ex-guards to help me take these things out.” Pyromanecer said having hope in his voice with that option.

“…Maybe….Apart from the fact that how are we going to convince them to join us if we have no bits or evidence to start with.” Cinder pointed out. “What else”

“We go to the Royal Sisters and tell them what’s going on. I might be caught and captured. But hopefully I’ll get my message across and save lives.”

“Are you insane!? There has to be something else!” She harshly said in a suppressive tone.

“The only other thing I could do is go in there, magic blazing and hope for the best….That’d be a pretty heroic way to go.”

“Going on a suicide mission that no-one cares or knows about only to be mauled by a pack of Timberwolves. Heroic indeed.” Said sarcastically with a sigh.

“Yeah…Now I’m not seeing it.” Pyromanecer said as he sighed and turned away. Heading for “home”.

“I guess we’ll just have to keep tabs on them.” Pyromanecer muttered in despair.


“Home” was a….decently safe place. For starters, not a lot of creatures came up to the base of the mountain. “Home” was simply just a raggedy old tent with a fireplace In front of it. THAT was his Home. The fire was thriving and the tent was secure. It helps to glorify these things to conceal the fact that Pyromanecer was a squatter.

Pyromanecer sat down beside the fire and threw some firewood into it. He could’ve used his magic to do a better job but he wanted to give Cinder some rest so she could recover her magic. He got down and kneeled on all fours and placed Cinder beside him.

“Do we have anyone who trusts us?”

“There is….one….who could help us…” Pyromanecer looked next to him to see the purple, translucent spirit figure of Cinder next to him. Her expression insisted him to continue.

“Ditzy Doo.” He said remembering the bubbly mare who helped him on that fateful day.


The next day Pyromanecer got some gear and set out to find Ditzy Doo and ask her for her assistance in inform pony folk of the oncoming dangers. The streets weren’t too crowded as ponies were just getting up from their peaceful slumber and waking up to the dawn of a new day. It felt wrong to know about the Timberwolves and not at least warn one of them. But he knew he would either be ignored, laughed at or caught. What do these ponies actually think about? Is everyone so self-centred? Do they stand a chance? Is there any point or hope? Why should I help? These where the questions that would remain unanswered in Pyromanecer’s mind as he flew through the alleys and streets with haste and stealth.

Pyromanecer neared the Postal Services Office without being caught or seen….well, hopefully. The building was very simple yet brightly decorated making it seem almost like a less fancy café and not be an eyesore in comparison to the other houses and shops. Its paint was that of the blues colour scale and had a strange sense of trust and quality in it. Pyromanecer slipped out of everyponies’ perspective and made sure no one was watching him. He pulled his hood up and dashed to the door and pushed it open gently. The jingling of bells echoed like a tranquil wind chime as the door slammed behind him. He approached the front desk and noticed the small counter bell reflecting the sunlight so yellow and it made the silver almost bloom like a daisy field. Pyromanecer tapped it, making it create a similar sounding echo compared to the doorbell. Soon enough Pyromanecer could hear the rustling of paper and the tumbling of hooves. A yelp of unexpectedness was let out as a cloud-like Pegasus tumbled through the door and landed right in front of Pyromanecer.

“Ow….Oh….Hey Pyromanecer!” She said rolling onto her belly to get up. Pyromanecer waited for her to be

“Hello Ditzy…” He said, trying to think of a way to bring this down onto her.

“What are you doing here, Pyro!? Won’t the guards find you here!?” She said nervously.

“No…They shouldn’t anyway…Ditzy…I…”Pyro made sure she was paying excessive attention. “…I need you to go around Ponyville putting a note, which I will write, at their doorstep, in their mailbox, taped to their door, anything. Just make sure they get the message.”

Ditzy looked straight into the Pyromanecer eyes with curiosity, optimism and most of all, concern. “What’s the message?”

At those words Pyromanecer lifted his saddlebags off with his wings and, with a grunt, placed them onto the counter. Inside there were hundreds of notes which would got all the houses, shops and restaurants in Ponyville. Ditzy looked down at them. The letters read:

Dear Lady or Gentlecolts
This note is a letter which has been sent to all ponies to inform them of a dangerous force which has arisen. One day, I went into the Everfree to discover that the Timberwolves’ numbers are growing and their packs ever more so. I’ve even come to believe that they are going to co-ordinate their attacks onto Ponyville. But don’t worry, I’m currently keeping a close eye on the Timberwolf activity. I will notify the town on the town billboard if there is anything deemed suspicious or dangerous in my time observing the Timberwolf activity. Please prepare to barricade your doors if this happens. This is not a ruse or a drill.

“Is this true?” Ditzy said with fear in her eyes looking straight at Pyromanecer. He nodded.

“I saw it for myself…There numbers are growing…We have to act quickly…You’re the only pony who I trust.”

“What are you going to do?” She said. Obviously she was worrying for the lives of all the ponies and most especially her daughter, Dinky. The little filly who always made Pyromanecer feel a warmth unlike no other. Dinky, to Pyromanecer, was the little sister he never had before.

“Where is Dinky?” Pyro said in a serious tone. Even Pyromanecer found it weird that he was acting so serious. He never acted this way. Maybe it was the pressure or maybe it was the situation or maybe it was the fact that Pyro hated being useless at a time like this. Ditzy was taken aback by Pyromanecer’s sudden question but returned to her normal self in an instant.

“I’ll take you to her, but I have to finish off six more deliveries….could you…wait that long?”

“I will.” Pyromanecer said with a subtle smile.


As soon as Ditzy returned and finished her deliveries for the day she led Pyromanecer to a humble little house near the outskirts of town. This worried Pyromaneecr since they were excessively vulnerable to any attacks from creature of the Everfree. The house in question on the other hand was very comforting and had all the things a home could be. It was just right. Ditzy went to the door with Pyromanecer behind her. She unlocked the door with her keys, admittedly clumsily, and pushed the door into to the house.

“Dinky! Mommy’s home and I brought a friend!” She turned to Pyroamnecer with an ecstatic smile. She was probably excited to see the look on Dinky’s face when she saw him. Pyromanecer wasn’t too sure if Ditzy was mentioning Pyro as a friend of hers or a friend of Dinky’s.

The sound of hooves rapidly tapping on floorboards told Pyromanecer that Dinky was very anxious to see her Ditzy after a long day. Soon enough the lavender filly came racing towards her mother with a cheery “Mommy!” and tackling her in a tight hug. Thankfully Pyromanecer was just walking inside and wasn’t taken down by the grey and gold ball of tumbling laughter. As soon as the laughter died down Pyromanecer walked toward the pair and looked over them. It took Dinky a fraction of a second to notice the fire manipulator with her wide sparkling eyes.

“Firebird!” She said pouncing on him and hugging his neck, her legs hanging above the ground. Pyromanecer chuckled as he hugged Dinky with his large wings. “What are you doing here?” she asked quizzically. Pyromanecer looked down with a heartfelt smile.

“Can’t I see my favourite little unicorn?” He said as he tussled her hair.

“Is Cinder here?” Dinky said innocently a she tugged on Pyromanecer’s cape. Pyromanecer gulped as he feared she ask for her in front of Ditzy. Although Cinder didn’t like ponies she, like Pyromanecer, had a soft spot for little fillies and colts and always enjoyed seeing them watch her fire in amazement.

“Cinder?” Ditzy darted her eyes to Pyromanecer with a puzzled expression.

“…Cinder you may as well talk now…” He said with a sigh.

“Finally! It was like trying not to breathe! Dinky!” Cinder said from her inanimate skull, making Ditzy jump.

“Wha-…How?” She started

“It’s a LONG story. But I’ll shorten it. Cinder was my past girlfriend who was a dragon. She died and I used voodoo and ancient to put her soul into this skull so she could stay with me and talk with me. And that is why I’m a wanted criminal.” He let out a loud breath and an even louder inhale as he tried to recollect his breath. Dinky was just sat there staring with a smile. She already knew. Pyromanecer just used….lighter terms to tell the story.

“Okay…I can…almost understand that, but….how and when did you learn voodoo and ancient magic.”

“Ah! Now that is an even more complex and longer story that I wouldn’t be even able to tell you without breaking some promises that I made.” Ditzy just slowly nodded in understanding.

“Oooohh you look so cute! And you’re growing up so fast! I swear on my soul that you are going to be the greatest unicorn ever.” Cinder said her voice going outside of her usual pitch as you could hear it in her voice that she was holding her cheeks. Cinder would probably lead out of her mask seal and just pick Dinky up and cradle her in her arms. Dinky couldn’t help but blush and giggle at Cinder’s words. Pyromanecer chuckled at all that was going on, but sadly he knew he had to leave soon and scout the cave for any more activity.

“Ditzy, Dinky…” The red Pegasus started as he walked up to both of them, the draft chilling his legs and the sun beaming onto him from the door. “I need to leave now…” Both of their expressions turned from joy to sorrow in a matter of seconds. It pained Pyromanecer to do this to them.

“I leave to make sure that these Timberwolves don’t stir too much trouble and stay away from Ponyville. I will be gone for a while…and…if I don’t return after a week…” He looked at Dinky with eyes that mirrored his pain. “Then I’ve just made up camp….” Pyromanecer said with a half-hearted smile. He hated lying. But lies eased pain and prevented it, kept those we hold dear safe, made people feel better. Pyromanecer leaned next to Ditzy and whispered into her ear.

“If I don’t return…Then you know what’s happened to me…Don’t tell Dinky…” Ditzy’s expression tried to stay the same but her depressive thoughts were purveyed onto her face as Pyromanecer leaned back.

“This is where…I leave Dinky…I hope that you remember me….” He said as he turned away and walked out leaving Dinky sniffling in the sun’s warmth as she tried to run for Pyromanecer. Ditzy, much to her own dismay, held Dinky back from following Pyromanecer into the Everfree. Dinky just sat there and watched as her brotherly figure walked away into the trees, swallowing him into the darkness. Dinky saw a fragment of Pyromanecer’s cape caught in between the floorboards. Dinky used her magic to telekinetically bring the torn fabric towards her. The fabrix was soft but rough and had the smell of ash and smoke lingering in it

“I’ll miss you, Firebird…” She said holding the cloak piece close to her as her mother held her close.

Author's Note:

WHOA! WHAT'S THIS!? NEW CHAPTER!?
ALREADY!?

Comments ( 2 )

Poke, Proxy better be in this story!

Login or register to comment