• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 681 Views, 6 Comments

Unfortunate events - knetch



series of event that put tho characters on quest for survival in the Capital wasteland and they will be forced to adapt their very being into this new and ruthless world.

  • ...
15
 6
 681

Chapter 2: Hunter's lesson

Hunter's Lesson

Camille's Pov

We have been walking together in the morning. Yet I find the distinct impression that the purple dragon behind me is still real. as it didn't go away after i woke up. also didn't try to eat me.

“So, you said we need to find some food? what do You have in mind” and yet again he is still there. Well, maybe I am not crazy enough.

“On one hand, we could eat some of the two hundred years old kind-of-food, that i have in the bag" by the look on his face. he didn't like the idea "Or we could hunt our meal to have fresher food on our metaphorical plate" He didn't like that idea either but his grimace was less pronounce. So i will take it as a good sing.

“well Camille. the thing is that can eat gems as every other dragon, also meat and vegetables. but i have had most of my life feed a Vegetarian diet” he look at the ground as if ashamed, but if he doesn't adapt, he will have a hard time looking for food on the wastes, Let’s see if he can manage molerat meat.

We stop near an abandoned ruin "Spike, as you know. food its not exactly easy to find. so there is no room to be picky" he look me with a downcast face "You can die out here Spike, but don't worry i will try to help you get through this"i have my own problems to deal with, but also i don't want to have the kid die on me if i could do something to prevent it."So spike can you get on that telephone pole and keep an eye out for any animals?" its best to get this over with.

“alright, just give me a second” he responded as he leap to the pole, and latched to the side with his claws. ”Camille there is some bears on the horizon where the sun rose this morning, and opposite to the bears there are some weird cows with two heads.

"good job spike, now come back here" as he jumped from the pole, as i loaded both guns and cocked them. we starting walking towards the cows.

“Spike come here" when he was near me, i handed him one of my pistols "here take this pistol. let’s see how you handle a weapon” I watched as he panic, why was he panicking?

“What do you mean by a weapon? You want me to kill the cow-thing?” he hissed with terror dripping from his voice. right, he has never killed an animal before.

“look spike. I know that you haven't done it before. but remember the talk about not being picky in the wasteland?" he nodded with his eyes glued to the ground " i might not always be there to hunt for you. so you must learn how to shot in order to survive" he kept looking to the ground "I know it must be hard. but i need you to be strong" he raised his head with resolve.

"I will hunt, lets just get this over with" he looked into my eyes with determination. i don't know what was going through his mind. but maybe he found the resolve to survive on this place. i give him a smile "Let me teach you Spike. I learned from one of the security guards back at home. but trust me you cannot let this fear to weight you down in the wasteland" i reassured him while letting him take the gun from my hand.

"i am so sorry, i have never hunted before" he said as we crouched near some high grass, hiding from the brahmin.

“Don't worry Spike. now to the matter at hand. we first try to sneak more closely to the Brahmin” as we sneak the distance one of the cows turns our way “ get down” I whisper to him and we get to the ground, the cow turn away from us “ alright, let’s move” we sneak closer until we are just at twenty meters away.

He whisper in my ear “How can they not see us? You are blue and I am purple?” he asked me with curiosity, the drake is really good at pushing his thought and focusing on the task. i will give him that.

“They can only see in black and white, even if the colors stand too much. If we don’t move much they just think we are weird looking rocks. but be careful this tactic only works as long as you don’t get too close. I learned that the hard way” molerats are more dangerous that we give them credit for.

As we position ourselves behind some rocks noticed that Spike was grabbing his weapon by the cannon i hissed at him “don’t grab it that way or you will blow your claw off!!”I realize that sound like Head Officer Gomez, heh “ Spike look at me. that pistol its a revolver .32 and this is the grip and you grab it like this. Now from this end when you pull this trigger. There will be a little explosion, and a hunk of metal will fly at high speed towards the way the cannon its pointing, do you understand?” he nods “ later I will teach you how to reload this pistol, but for now I will show you how to aim. You see those little edges? They are the sights. This is the front, this one and the rear. You must align them in the direction towards the target” he looked at me as I point towards the brahmin "get the front sight at the same distance between the rearsight edges and point it towards the brawmin .

“So, I grab it like this?” he says with the pistol on one claw.

“Use both claws for better aim, also just above the trigger there is a lever, it is set on safety you must pull that down or the trigger will not yield” he does that as I pull my pistol and take aim “alright at the count of three, and these weapon got a recoil that will kick the gun towards you claws, so aim a bit lower and relax you arms to anticipate for the kick. alright try to hit the cow on the back of the herd. one………two……..three!!!!!!”.

Spike’s shot hit the cow on the left forehoof, and mine at the base of the neck, the cow fall a second later and we stand up as the other cows ran for their lives leaving their downed kin behind “ and now the make sure”i take out a knife from my backpack and stab it at the side of each head. and the brawmin pass on.

“What are you doing? “Spike ask me horrified as I take the knife from the brahmin.

“Making sure it is dead before I taking the meat from its body. For me its better to kill the animal before feeding on it. both as a sign of respect and i don't want to cause it unnecessary suffering” he looks at the brahmin. with a tint of guilt, he reminds me of a kid back in the vault.

“What about the others of your people? Where are they? Do they all do this?” soon the guilt vanished replaced by anger.

“I don't know really, I haven’t spoken with anyone from outside so far. but i have heard stories back in the vault about the wasteland. So i suppose that yes as i told you before. the wasteland is not exactly kind" he maybe good at focusing on the task at hand. But he is way to emotional. then again who am i to talk.

"What is this Vault you talk about and why did you leave" He was venting and trying to accept what he has done. so i decided to answer his questions. maybe it will help him to calm down if he learns a little bit about the Vault.

"The Vault is technically a bunker. an underground network of tunnels made of metal and other materials that can sustain life inside. I leave the Vault because i am looking for my father.” as i said this stopped and looked at the ground.

"your father is on this place?" he ask me with sudden sadness.

"yes, but i will tell you about that after we have dinner" i responded with urgency. its not exactly a topic that i like to talk about “Alright, let’s grab some meat before those bears or some other thing notice the brawmin” I said as I proceed to cut. Spike threw up soon after.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We decided to return to the jury rig station for rest. It was getting late and those bear things and scorpions would start hunting soon.

When we got there, there was a campfire near the metro entrance, with people, and the remains of I think it’s another Brahmin, but this one its different. it got straps and bags all over its side. There is some shouting and we watched how they started to beat a person with a bat, the bone crunching sounds made an echo and even at our distance it reached us.

“What are they doing?” spike’s question snap me out of my train of thought.

“I don’t know, but it doesn't look good. maybe we should get out of here” I said as I grab his claw.

“What are you doing? Shouldn’t we help him?” shook off my hand, and went over the campfire. just as he got in line of sight. he fire one shot to the sky “Stop hurting him!!!” these people didn't seem normal, wearing straps of gear in improvised armors, and some with dried blood on them. Raiders

all the raiders turned to him and one took a rifle with an scope, i heard the crack and spike fell to the ground while clutching his arm.blood was flowing from his wound as he desperately applies pressure hoping to stop the bleeding.

What should I do I thought as the raiders approached spike, there were too many. I can’t, maybe they will let him live ones again my brain trying to convince me not to step up there and risk my life- but my body was doing otherwise.

I took aim at the raider with the rifle, and took the shot. It went clean through his neck. he soon collapsed on the ground while his buddies notice me.

I have just killed my first person, how many people in the world have had this thought. my first time killing, hunting animals is one thing, but this one was a living breathing and thinking PERSON

i was paralyze but the idea of my new homicide that i didn't notice the raider tackling me to the ground.

“What do we have here? Boys looks like we found some meat, heh” the word “meat" he was saying it while eyeing my body “you are going to pay for what did you do the boss, bitch. and me and the boys are going to enjoy every second of it” as he said that two raiders pinned me to the ground, spike tried to get up, but was kicked on the head and pinned down ass a raider sat on him “you are going to watch how we have fun with your friend” a raider ripped the upper part of my vault suit with a knife revealing my breasts.

I knew what they were going to do to me. To think my entire quest finished as another corpse in the wastes and i was absolutely powerless to do something about it.but, When the brain its looking for a way out, a way for me to survive. you tend to notice the strangest things. for example a rock way beyond the reach of my hand. a blade of dead grass distorting in the air. a speck of wind carrying a form and a whisper.

“Do not move” said the whisper. The raiders paused for a second. It was as if time itself stopped its flow entirely, like the silence so thick that even in my near rape situation i could feel the pressure. the silence before the storm, and storm there was.

The raider in front of me that ripped my suit was stabbed by a set of three claws. Only revealed by the now fresh blood that coated them while they where sprouting from the victims chest. With shock in his face, the raider was lifted up by something. her tried to say something but whatever he was going to say died on his lips as he passed out.

the creature was there but you could not quite see it like a shadow in the air. said shadow threw the now fresh corpse to the ground. as the raiders that pinned me down tried to shake the confuision. just a moment later i heard gunshots from the hill to my left then the head of the raider on my left exploded, while the one on my right had his leg severed at the knee. I notice that there were more shadows on the distance from where i heard the shots. they were waiting something.

I heard the sound of electricity as the shadow before me revealed itself. Now i was watching a man. He stared scanning everyone searching for threats. I could see that he wore a leather jacket that reached his knees. with thick cables going from the arms to the exposed shoulderpads. on top of a faded green armor.

There were symbols on this armor one with two scimitars crossing a leaf on the chest plate. A howling wolf on top of some cogs with wings crossed by a sword on the right shoulderpad and , on the other shoulderpad the number 101 on top of a cog just above a set of lights that were glowing but getting more dim.

He wore an old army helmet and I couldn't see his face, because of the googles that emitted a dim green light covering his eyes. he also wore a small gasmask covering his mouth and nose. But what grabbed my attention the most were two things. First some kind of armored gauntlet with sharp looking claws, put in a pincer fashion, stained by the blood of the raider. and i finally on his other arm wore and old looking Pip-boy three thousand model A.

-A vaultdweller like me.

A raider took a shot at the figure. Only for the bullet to be blocked as the gauntlet came to life and some kind of shield manifested on it. Then in one swift motion, almost like flowing water. He closed the distance with the raider and stabbed him in the gut then he using the now deceased raider’s body as a shield to block a the knife of another that was aimed for the Vaultdweler's neck. as the raider struggle to take his knife out the corpse of his friend. That Vaultdweler crushed his head with the clawed gauntlet.

As the other raiders watched the beheaded corpse fall. He gave a quick glance to me and spike, pressing a button on his chest, he spoke.

“Caravan secured. all Hunters, kill the rest of the raiders”

Other figures appeared from the hill, and soon gunfire was heard on the background.

Author's Note:

i wanted to do something different, so instead of doing a loner's fic, i decided to make up Camille just a vaultdweler in DC looking for her father.

the hunters and most of the concepts separate themselves from fallout canon after a single event.
my aim its to present you a fresh perspective on the wasteland.
and maybe you will enjoy it