• Published 12th Feb 2014
  • 1,296 Views, 146 Comments

Atheist AJ - CreepyPastaPrincessLuna



Applejack becomes the unthinkable. She became an atheist. The Apple family doesn't take too kindly to this.

  • ...
98
 146
 1,296

Atheist's Internal Howl

Applejack couldn't help, or even bear, to think what the others would think. The Apple family has tradition that have dated further back than the beginning of Equestria itself. She was slowly becoming a heathen, and that was a problem. The Apple family didn't care much about the law when it came down to other religions. They did as good Christians did as stated in Deuteronomy 13: 12-13, "If you ask Christians to describe their quasi-chosen god of worship, you'll .... David subsequently cries out to God and asks him why he wants to murder ..... If a city worships other gods, kill everyone in it and burn it". That caused many "heathens" to fear.

Applejack had heard Pastor Christian Talk about dirty. filthy heathens who shall burn in Hell for eternity, even if they helped society and tried to do no harm. Applejack thought about this and whispered, "God seems so lovin', don't he? Love me or burn in Hell. Sounds real nice, don't it?"

Applejack had finished all of her work for the day. She went to dinner and met up with the rest of the Apples. Applejack could tell that they waited for her. Applejack took a big gulp and headed for her seat. She sighed and sat down, bending her head forward and waiting for prayer.

Granny Smith put her hooves together and said, "Lord, we thank you for this food today so that we can remain strong as a family. We ask that you bless the heart of Applejack's dear friend who knows not of what she does," Applejack knew that Granny had heard and she continued, "Please continue to help and guide us, Lord and continue to provide for us. Amen."

Everypony said, "Amen," and ate the few apple tarts and other food that had been prepared. Applejack actually started to get comfortable. She had the growing comfort with the "Don't ask, don't tell" situation. She had the feeling of "What they don't know can't hurt them" type of feeling. Applejack could only imagine how Rainbow Dash had felt for all the years that she was a heathen.

Rainbow Dash came over the next day looking smug wearing a black fedora and carrying a Bible. "So, Aj," Rainbow began, "Did you manage to prove me right or wrong?"

"I do have to admit, Rainbow," Applejack replied, "You were dead wrong!" Applejack gave a stern, cruel look of "I told you so". Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped in disbelief. Then, Applejack busted out laughing and said, "I'm just kiddin'. You were clearly right! Of well, a deal's a deal."

Rainbow Dash chuckled and replied, "No, it's alright. I never really had much of a chance to debate religion face to face. read the rest of it on your own time. How far are you anyway? Genesis?"

Applejack replied with an, "Eeyup," just to tease Big Macintosh a little. "I'm actually a little surprised that you didn't want to claim your reward. Why not just come in, Dashie?"

"Uh, sure. At this rate, why not?" Rainbow Dash threw her Bible on the table and sat herself down on the couch. Applejack sat down next to Rainbow Dash and began to hold a conversation about religion related but not directly about religion itself.

"Do ya necessarily have any problems with same-sex marriage?"

"Me? Not really. I support one's right to choose, but I don't necessarily want to drive the point home with people. I'm not a nag about it, but I personally think that it's no one's business who dates or marries who. Just me opinion."

"What about abortion?"

"I'm not a huge fanatic about any controversial issues," Rainbow Dash took off her fedora and placed it on the table next to her Bible, "Like I said, I don't like to drive a point home that people will disagree with me on. I know that there are people that say, 'I am atheist and hear me roar' and stuff like that. I'm not one of them. I mainly support one's right to choose on many topics. I generally don't care."

"So, ya tend not to form much of an opinion, huh?"

"Yup"

"Well, I've gotten down ta thinkin', and I've started to think of things a little differently."

"When I became an atheist, I took a whole new view on life, too. It felt like a burden was lifted off my shoulders. The weight of the world was no longer my problem."

"The word 'atheist' does carry a lot of weight around here, don't it?"

"Unfortunately," Rainbow Dash paused, "It ain't fair if ya ask me. We're all known to be cruel and heartless. Truth is, atheist in general are very devoted and loving people. Lack of religion doesn't make you a bad person. Religion doesn't make anyone a good person either. This is why many atheists are in the closet. Social problems can range from 'don't talk to me about it' to 'stay away from me, my kids, and my family'. It just ain't fair if ya ask me."

Granny Smith rushed into the living room and screamed, "Get out of ma house you cold-hearted, bloody heathen." Granny Smith started to hit Rainbow Dash in the head with a broom to shew the "heathen" away. Rainbow Dash grabbed her fedora and Bible and ran out, taking off into the air upon exiting. "Don't come back ya bloody heathen!"

"Applejack," Granny Smith started, "Don't allow her to ever come back. EVER! Understood?"

"Uh, ya... sure," Applejack replied hesitantly. Granny Smith headed out of the living room and into the kitchen. Applejack grew less comfortable with the "Don't ask, don't tell" situation. She grew more self-conscience This type of over awareness made Applejack tense up internally. It increased Applejack's shame.

Applejack inched her way up to her room, bowing her head. As Applejack sat in her room, she asked herself distinct questions in her head. She asked, "Is this really worth the social cost?" or, "Why must this be social suicide?" or, "How much will I, or could I, lose?" To a typical, closeted atheist, these were common questions that were asked on a regular basis.

It was, without a doubt, social suicide to admit to yourself that you were an atheist. It was even worse to admit to anyone else that you were an atheist. Applejack grew more nauseated as the overwhelming fear loomed over her. It made her feel isolated -abandoned. It made her feel like the odd on out in the family. It sunk down into the pit of Applejack's core so deep that if it went any deeper, she would surely sink into depression.

This everlasting, internal conflict is what makes the atheist the way her or she is. The internal howl rages on. The howl is roaring but never heard.