• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 14,012 Views, 374 Comments

A Demon In Ponyville - Terciel1249



Mathew fell into Equestria after being cast out by mankind. With no way to return home, Mathew will have to find his way in this land of talking multicolored ponies.

  • ...
52
 374
 14,012

A Few Pointers

A Demon in Ponyville
Ch. 28: A Few Pointers
Disclaimer: I do not own the right to MLP or any of its related mediums.

The spires of white fluffy clouds glistened as the last rays of sunlight stretched across from the horizon. Its ephemeral beauty wrought wild red, oranges, blues and purples across the city in the sky.

Standing before the dark red door of her father, Rainbow Dash stood silently. The tortoise on her back turned from her then to the door and back again. Slowly, she lifted her hoof and nodded solidly on the wooden surface.

“Coming… Coming…” a raspy voice called from inside the home.

Her muscles tensed. It had been years since she last visited and now arriving with no pretences was probably the least thought out idea she had.Probably.

The door creaked open, revealing the stallion within. Rainbow Dash was almost the spitting image of Rainbow Blitz. His mane had faded slightly, his coat was a darker shade of blue and the fur around his mouth was turning white in his aging years. But his eyes were a surprisingly green, for Rainbow Dash had her mother’s eyes.

Blitz stood there, silent and shocked at the sight of his daughter standing before him with a tortoise on her back no less. It was unusual for her to visit, especially with a tortoise.I think I’m spending far too much attention on the tortoise.“Hi Dashie,” he finally managed to say, the words escaping his lips carrying the tune of confusion.

“Hey Dad,” Rainbow said, scratching the back of her neck as he cheeks began to heat.

“You’re here… and you brought a tortoise with you,” he stated, trying to figure out whether he should be happy, confused or both.Probably both.

“Y-yeah… I wanted to fly by, say hi and maybe talk for a bit,” the mare continued to feel the blood rushing into her face.

“Alright, come on in squirt,” Blitz said, opening the door for his daughter.

She quickly entered, making her way into the kitchen, placing Tank on the counter before taking a seat.

“So squirt, are you hungry? I’ve got a few things in the fridge.”

The older stallion entered the kitchen, standing on the opposite side of the kitchen counter, leaning on the cloudy surface. He smiled awkwardly at his daughter.

“Naw, I’m good.”

The two sat in silence. Their eyes shifted from surface to surface, fidgeting while their minds raced to think of further conversation.

“So, what brings ya to my door squirt? Not that I don’t want you to think I don’t want you here. I’m just curious. It has been four years since you visited… wrote a letter… or anything,” Blitz finally asked, not being able to take the silence any more.

“Well… Ummmmmmmm…”

Tank’s head nudged her, offering her a reassuring nod.

“Look Dad, I’m sorry I haven’t visited,” Rainbow Dash sighed, “I’ve been busy.”

“With the Wonderbolts?”

“Yeah.”

“I figured,” he sighed in exasperation.

“Hey, I finally made it into the Wonderbolts Reserve,” she tried to push some iota of pride in her voice. But the look in his eye wasn’t truly pride, just a far off expression that said he truly wasn’t engaged or happy.

“Good for you Rainbow.”

Her teeth ground against each other, jaw clenching as the sparks of anger rose in her. “You could at least be proud of that.”

“Rainbow I’ve always been proud of you,” her father took a deep breath, “I always say I am. Do you believe me?”

“Well… yeah.”

“Than what more do you want?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” her shoulder sagged.

Blitz watched his daughter, trying to figure out the sudden change of heart. “You wanted something. What is it?”

“I… I wanted to ask how you met Mom?” she finally managed to mumble.

That was not what he would have expected. He assumed it was the new about getting into the Wonderbolts. Her answer was strange and he wasn’t sure how to approach the subject. Deep down, he knew it was more than just that story.

“Oh you know how that story goes,” the stallion moved to his fridge, reaching in a pulling out a bottle of brown liquid. Popping the cap off with the flick of a wing and sending the cap flying directly into the trash can. His eyes became distant, a soft smile spreading across his muzzle.

“It was college and I was hanging out with the guys. Back then, I might have been a jerk. You know picking on ponies, starting fights and hitting on anything with a pulse.” He released an annoyed snort, “Flutter Breeze was in the dancing program. She was so beautiful. The way she would move through the air. She was so graceful. I don’t know how she did it. I just couldn’t take my eyes off of her.” Taking a swig, he continued, “Me, being the knucklehead that I was, kept trying to go out with her. Every day, I would stop by the dance study at exactly 4:15 PM. I’d say something stupid, she’d roll her eyes and then fly away.”

Rainbow Dash leaned forward, she always loved this part of the story. “Finally Flutters gave in and decided to finally do something about my dumb flank. She said that if I could beat her in a race, she’d go out with me,” he chuckled at the memory, “Flutters decided to use to shorter course, I can’t remember the name. It had sharp turns and I thought I would win. Flutters was a great flyer. While I had better speed, she could move so smoothly through the air. I would have to decelerate too much to make such a sharp turn. She won far and square.”

“What did you have to do next?” Rainbow asked a sly smile on her lips.

“I had to be her dance partner for four weeks. I had to wear the tights and everything,” he shrugged, ignoring the snicker from his daughter. “Why did you want to hear that story again?”

“I love that story,” she shrugged.

“Yes, but flying all the way from Ponyville to hear it is a little excessive,” his green eyes were studying her. Then it hit him, why else would Rainbow Dash visit and ask for such an unusual request. “Are you having relationship issues?”

“What!? No! Why would you say that?”

“It makes sense,” the older stallion rubbed his chin, deep in thought. “Why else would you visit? And more importantly why would you ask me how I met your mother? It makes sense if I really thing about it.”

“What if I just wanted to see you?”

“You didn’t.”

“Ow… Harsh much,” his daughter grumbled, turning her eyes away from him not in disgust but in shame.

“What happened?”

“Well,” taking a deep breath, she began again, “a few of my friends were getting into some serious relationships and… well… I don’t. I’ve talked to a few stallions, and went out but nothing happened. I just couldn’t… connect. I would just talk and that was it. I don’t know what’s wrong. I just couldn’t… and I thought something was wrong with me.”

Silence ruled the air inside her father’s house. It was a surreal experience. To be so unconnected to something, that Rainbow had to turn to the closest stallion to her. He stood in the center of such difficult thoughts, until he finally spoke, “Dash…”

She looked up, meeting those familiar eyes.

“I can say all the good qualities of you all day. I am so proud of you,” he shook his head, trying to find some way to say the right words. “The hard part is trying to talk about your faults. I don’t wanna talk about you like that, but I have you.” His brow furrowed, “You are so driven, Dashie. You pick out your goals and you push for them with everything you have. S-somewhere along it became a weakness.”

“How does that make sense?”

“Dashie, you are never still. You can’t be content with the same thing. You’re always moving and you can’t stay still. You never connected to other ponies very well…”

“Hey! I have friends!” The look Blitz shot her quieted the fire in her eyes.

“Yes you do, but you don’t connect too many on an emotional level. You go into a relation at mach speed. There’s no slow with you. Just an intense drive for the next thing,” he continued to speak in a slow and deliberate tone. “That drive is great in a racer. I know. I had the same drive. You’re mother showed me that I was wrong. Now, you have to learn that same lesson.”

“Well, how do I do that?”

Blitz shrugged, “Why not go with on a date with one of your friends? Make it a girl’s night?”

“Girl’s night?” Rainbow asked incredulously.

“That’s all I can think of,” her father smiled. “Having a friend as a wingpony is the best thing I did while I was dating.”

She thought about it. Some of her friends were single. It shouldn’t be too hard to get the girls to join her.

“Another thing,” Blitz suddenly thought of something new, “Try to ask him a few things about himself.”

“Why’s that?”

“Dashie, you could talk about yourself for hours. If there’s so much of ‘you’ in a relationship, there won’t be any room for anypony else,” he said simply.

“What does that mean?”

“You’re ego is so great that it can warp the fabric of light with its gravity.”

“That’s not funny,” she muttered, crossing her forelegs in frustration.

“It’s true,” her dad chuckled at the glare she shot him. “Also, don’t be afraid to be hurt. Relationships fail and that’s just the simple truth.”

“What makes you think I can be hurt?” her pouting was increasing drastically to adorable levels.

“I know you can. Remember the time you wanted to be a sky dancer like your mother?” Rainbow Dash didn’t look at him, “You were really good. Then those colts made fun of you for wearing tights.”

“I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“You don’t have to Dashie. I know you better than you think and I know when you’re hurting,” he put as much conviction and empathy in his words. “Trust me. Go out on a limb and do something new. It’s okay to be hurt. That’s how we grow and learn.”

She sat there, watching Tank’s black eyes turning from her to Blitz and back again. “I’ll give it a shot.”

Her father offered her a small smile, “That’s all we can do.”

“I’m gonna go… Thanks Dad,” she gave him a quick hug before taking her tortoise and flying out of the front door, the wind screaming past her ears.

“Don’t forget to visit! I wanna see you more! It’s lonely all by myself!”

0 0 0

Applejack rolled her neck, watching her older brother and the help (affectionately known as Matthew) carrying the day’s load of buckets for apple bucking. The two shifting towers of wooden buckets were comically high. The short version of this story was that Matthew was bored and wanted to see how better he was than Big Mac.

The red pony was happy to oblige originally, but didn’t expect to carry twenty of buckets on his back. The tilting shifting towers slowly moved into the early dawn, the two stallions taking careful steps to ensure those barrels did not meet an unfortunate end.

A loud swoosh caught Applejack’s attention, quickly followed by the buffeting of air slamming into her barrel. Rainbow Dash looked at the orange mare, “Hey Applejack.”

“Hi Dash,” the southern pony nodded. The odd part of this meeting was the time. It was the crack of dawn and no one would believe the spectral speedster would be awake at this hour. “So, whacha here for? It’s kinda early,” the apple farmer pushed for an answer.

“Well… I was wondering… if you wanted to… go out and… find a few guys?”

The orange pony’s jaw dropped,Ah didn’t expect that.“Wait, what?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to have a Girl’s Night. You know… find a few guys? That sort of thing,” the cyan Pegasus rubbed her forelegs together in embarrassment.

“Well… Tell ya what,” the gears in the farmer’s head began to turn, “Ah would love to go out with ya fur a night on the town. Ah was already gonna go to Vinyl Scratch’s club with a good friend. How about ya meet me there at 9? I’ve got dinner reservations before then.”

“Dinner reservations?” a cyan eyebrow rose. “With who?”

“My date, duh.”

Rainbow Dash could only look at the orange pony in surprise, “How in the nine levels of Tartarus did you manage to find a stallion? You’re always working.”

“I do have a life outside of work ya know,” the annoyed orange mare snapped, “And while Ah do work most of my time, a few hours a week Ah go out with mah date. Hell, normally we spend time here on the farm.”

The cyan Pegasus’s head came surprisingly close to Applejack, “How’d you do it? Is it kissing? Or small talk? Details mare! I need details!”

Applejack sat on her haunches with ahumph. “What’s this all about Dash?”

“I’ve been having some… guy trouble,” she said, trying to keep the embarrassment from turning her cheeks red.

“That’s all right. We all have those problems,” the other mare nodded sagely, “Ah’ve had a few bad dates. But let me ask you something, how is yur kissing?”

The Pegasus blanched dramatically at the question, her entire face turning beat red. “T-there’s nothing wrong with my kissing.”

“Ya sure about that. Ah have the feeling ya might be bad at it,” the orange mare pushed the thought, trying to figure out why Rainbow of all ponies were having these issues.

“I’m fine thank you very much!”

“Why don’t you put yur bits where your mouth is?”

Rainbow’s magenta eyes nearly bulged out of her skull, “What does that mean?”

“Ah’m trying to figure out what’s wrong with ya and Ah need a demonstrations. So, you and me right now. Show me what ya got,” the farmer eyed the Pegasus wearily, watching her every move. “Unless yur chicken.”

“Oh yeah… well!” the cyan Pegasus decided to prove her bravery. Her pride demanded it. With a blur of speed, her cyan muzzle brushed Applejack’s orange cheek.

“What was that?”

“A kiss,” Rainbow turned away from her friend.

“That’s the kiss fur a grandma,” the orange mare snorted. A silly idea wormed its way into her head and she really wanted to play with the spectrum Pegasus. With a strong foreleg, the farmer wrapped her friend in a happy embrace, “This is how ya kiss a fellur.”

Rainbow Dash turned and what she found was quiet different than what she expected.

Two muzzles met, lips pressed against each other. The Pegasus felt her eyes would explode from her skull, looking at the calm earth pony. For the first time, she felt such passion from her orange friend. She couldn’t actually tell Applejack was putting on a show. But the expression of Rainbow’s face would make this entire venture worth it.

“Hello, hot character trait,” the surprise and sultry voice of Matthew broke the single moment.

The two mares broke the connection between their lips. Both were bright head, turning towards the slack jawed Macintosh and the unusually excited Matthew.

“Before you ask, No. We are not getting together. Ah was showing Rainbow here how to kiss. That is all,” the orange mare said, her voice full of iron and her eyes burning with fire.

Silence floated on the air like a swiftly shifting leaf of grass flittering through the air. Unfortunately, the false alicorn could not hold his tongue, “I could use a second demonstration.”

0 0 0

Twilight rubbed her head, trying to figure out why Applejack had called a meeting today and why Matthew had come home yesterday saying ‘Twilight, I love you and think you’re great… but I some of the sexiest sh** and I require the basement for a little while. Bye!’

“So,” the orange mare sighed, “Ah called ya’ll here today to talk about a few things.”

Rarity nodded, daintily sipping on her fruity tea. Fluttershy nibbled on a few pieces of bread while Pinkie was staring at Applejack with an unusual amount of concentration. Her bright blue eyes were creeping the farmer out. Rainbow was silent for some reason. Then there was the empty seat on her left.

“Well, Ah thought it was time fur all ya’ll to meet my colt friend.” A long silence and multiple raised eyebrows met this declaration, forcing the apple farmer to continue, “Let’s just git this over with.” She whistled loudly, and a single pony moved around the corner on queue.

“I don’t believe it,” Rarity was the first to say, her cheeks rising with heat.

He was lanky, with warm brown coat, bright well kempt blond mane with wide rimmed glasses set on his narrow muzzle. The unusual aspect was he was wearing a sweater. His blue eyes were as bright as his smile. “Hey everypony,” he called, taking the seat next to the orange mare. He gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

The sign of affection caused Applejack’s cheeks to brighten, “Ah quite that yur embarrassing meh, Trenderhoof.”

From a secluded bush, a pair of dark brown eyes watched the events with great interest. The best part of this was Rarity’s reaction. Her jaw was clenched and a vein threatened to burst in her head.Oh this is gonna be good.

“And when did all of… this start?” the white unicorn asked, the grinding of her molars loud in the calm day.

“It started when Ah got a letter from Trender,” the orange pony began, smiling at the thought. She didn’t catch the fork in Rarity’s magic being compressed in on itself until it was a metal ball. “He sent a picture of when he was visiting Manehatten after bumping into mah cousins the Oranges. Ah responded with a recommendation of trying their orange upside down cake.”

The stallion took over the story, “I had the sudden idea of doing a magazine special on all the best recipes for each of the major fruit. It would be a way to introduce ponies all across Equestria to new ideas. I was writing AJ here for a few good apple recipes. Since I couldn’t taste them, AJ asked me down to the farm and we kept in touch.”

The stallion rubbed the back of his ear in embarrassment. Rarity face was trying to smile while at the same time, implode on itself, “How did you two suddenly decide that you were a thing?”

“Oh my god this is amazing!” a dark chuckling emitted from close by. Twilight turned to the hidden figure, glaring at him.

“Oh that’s easy,” the orange mare said, “He was such a gentlecolt. Remember when ya decided to dance with Granny at the festival. In all honesty, Ah wasn’t even thinking about a relationship. Then we went on that picnic ya made. Ya took me to the theatre. Ah never saw the Pony of the Opera, but it was so good.” She gave her stallion a playful nuzzle, making the brown unicorn turn a brighter shade of red.

“Yeah, we had a magical night.”

“Bbbutttttt,” Rarity stressed, her eyes trying to evacuate from her collapsing face, “I thought you didn’t want to move to Ponyville. Remember… you wanted to be yourself and continue to do what you do.”

“Oh my god her face! What’s going on with her face?”

“I can still do that,” Trenderhoof replied happily, “I can also try a relationship. I don’t have to be something I’m not just to date AJ. I also don’t have to force her to be something she’s not.” He looked into her bright green eyes, “I’m just happy spending time with her.”

Twilight was trying to decide if Rarity needed some help, or was on the verge of a full mental breakdown.

“What about Rarity?” Pinkie Pie asked, “She had like the biggest crush on you. I even saw her worship cave. It was kinda disturbing.”

“Well…” Trenderhoof turned to Rarity, “Miss Rarity, you are a great mare. I just like somepony else. No hard feelings… right?”

“Oh! Bitch got dumped! You go you stick figure pony! Burn that heart and smash it! Her pain nourishes me! Give me more!”

Twilight sent a blast of magic at the inconspicuous bush. “Hey!” shouted the stallion hiding behind the leaves.

Rarity’s face seamed to freeze, held in the expression that would haunt the nightmares of little children from this day forward. “No… No hard feelings.” Then, in a series of jerking motions the white unicorn quickly left the café and back to her boutique.

“I’ve very happy for you two,” Fluttershy added, her eyes on Rarity’s swiftly retreating figure. “I hope Rarity’s alright.”

“I’m sure she will be,” Twilight added, shooting Matthew an angry look.

“Oh please, she’s gonna bury herself in a tub of ice cream tonight!”ZAP!“Stop that Twilight! I’m having fun!”

“Fun at Rarity’s expense!”

“I didn’t do it, so I’m allowed to enjoy the fireworks!”ZAP! “Owe!”

The purple alicorn turned back to Applejack and Trenderhoof, offering her joy and ensuring Rarity would be alright… eventually.

The cyan Pegasus watched the proceedings when she was struck with a sudden realization. She had to go into a relationship, knowing that she could be hurt. In the end, she had to be open to the relationship just like Applejack, Fluttershy and even (no matter how many times she grumbled about it) Twilight. The simplicity of it was what she missed last night. A series of ponies buying her drinks, yet no amount of conversation could connect. She as a mare had to be open with another pony and herself. It would take time, but she was Rainbow ‘Danger’ Dash and she would be better. She would be happy.

Her magenta eyes caught sight of Twilight’s lunch. This particular plate stood out from the rest of their friends’ simply by the fact two sandwiches and a bowl of salad were offered to the alicorn princess.

“A little hungry Twilight?”

“Nothing much,” Twilight shrugged.

Off in the distance, a ray of bright blue magic shone through the air as Rarity released her frustrations into the air. Her screams of utter rage nourished Matthew’s sadistic nature for several days, much to Twilight’s annoyance.