• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 3,514 Views, 133 Comments

Button Mash and The Quest to Rescue Sweetie Belle - JamesBurton



Button Mash the 14 year old colt that loves to play video games( and other recational activetives) recevies a mysterious game that he did not order. What could possibly go wrong

  • ...
5
 133
 3,514

Sky High Ruins (Patched)

Now Loading… Sky High Ruins

“Alright, Button Mash,” the earth pony muttered to himself as he ascended higher and higher, floating upwards in the blue beam he stepped in moments ago, “let’s see where we go this time.” Above him, he could see the beam lead to a dense cloud layer and he couldn’t see anything beyond that. “Of course, that’d be too easy,” Button grumbled to himself. He crashed through the white layer only to stop moving upwards. Instead, he found himself standing on the clouds. He panicked for a while before he realized he wasn’t on a literal cloud, it was just a white platform. Probably magical, Button inferred, else how could he have passed through on his way up and how could it remain suspended? The brown earth colt wandered towards the edge of the white and looked down.

“Woooooah,” Button nervously gulped. “I’m really high up.” The thought of splatting to the ground like an egg terrified the earth pony at this point, but the view was impressive, he had to admit. “Hey, is that Green Village over there?” he wondered as he leaned a bit more forward.

ROAAAR!!!

The colt quickly scrambled backwards as a mass of red scales zoomed past him causing a backlash that almost blew his hat off. “WOAH!” he shrieked as the creature let out a deafening roar when it flew past. “Is- is that a dragon?” Button’s jaw dropped in disbelief. Every flap of its wings were the angry booms of thunder and every roar was an earthshaking warning to those who dare cross it. If Codex sent that, Button reflected as he watched the dragon fly further and further away, he must be getting desperate.


Meanwhile...

"You released Baelfel, my lord?” the messenger tried to maintain the calm facade while inside he was screaming, doubting his superior’s mental stability. “With all due respect, I believe that that was a very, VERY bad idea.”

Codex chuckled playfully at his messenger, “Oh, come on. You know that Baefel isn’t a problem for me, the Almighty, Super-Spectacular, Mighty Powerful LORD CODEX!” The unicorn stood from his throne and put two hooves in the air with a huge grin.

"Right, my lord,” the messenger rolled his eyes, clearly unimpressed.

Codex payed him no heed, stepping forward as if addressing a larger crowd. “But for Button Mash, he shall soon feel my fiery wrath! He will learn the price of angering the all-powerful dark lord Codex through the fire! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

The messenger merely stared at him for a few seconds in judgemental silence.

“OKAY, SO I’M DESPERATE!” the unicorn put his hooves over his eyes, “... was it really that obvious?”

The messenger only nodded, “Quite so sir. Quite so.”

Now back to our hero...

Button Mash wouldn’t look down. He refused to look down. All he did was stare ahead into the white expanse. His eyes were nulled by the lack of objects to focus on, save for the occasional cloud that was moving ever so slightly overhead. “If Codex doesn’t get me, I’ll die of boredom up here,” Button groaned. As he went further and further, the earth pony could make out dark spires rising from the foggy distance. Dark magic filled the area, Button knew. He wasn’t a unicorn or anything, just a regular earth pony, but the power emanating from the castle was undeniable. The air was heavy and cold, sending chills up the pony’s spine. Button got more and more nervous as he approached the structure, the true weight and size of the imposing keep finally crashing down on him. Despair, hopeless and fear began to creep up on Button.

But one thought kept him going. One face. A smiling filly, marshmallow white with a mane split between pink and purple, calling out to him. “Button, Button,” she beckoned, staring into his soul with her perfect emerald eyes. I’m coming, Sweetie Belle.

"BUTTON MASH!"

Button Mash quickly snapped back at attention, looking around for the source of the voice. He saw a gray blur shifting from cloud to cloud. “Who’s there!?” he shouted, getting ready for a fight. A tiny shift in the wind caused the colt to jump a bit and turn around, eliciting a maniacal laughter from his unknown assailant. “Come out and face me like a stallion!” Button cried angrily.

“As you wish.”

A gray pegasus swooped down from the cloud cover, majestically landing right in front the brown pony. “Here I am,” the pegasus scowled.

The earth pony examined his adversary. Gray coat and jet black mane, just as Golden Heart said. But the manestyle is all wrong, and his eyes aren’t purple, they’re magenta, Button observed. He didn’t know whether to be relieved or worried by this, but he knew that either way, this guy was going to put up a fight. “Who are you?” Button calmly demanded.

"My name is Quicksilver," he replied. "New recruit for The Great Lord Codex's Empire." He paced around Button Mash like a shark stalking its prey. "You've been causing The Great King a lot of trouble. haven't you? From Black Breath to Varga, and now Lady Scarlet. You’ve done a lot of damage for a nopony, and Lord Codex has given me the privilege of defeating you and proving my worth to his greatship!”

"Are you finished?" an annoyed Button asked cynically with one eyebrow raised. "Cause if you’re done flapping your mouth, get out of my way!"

Quicksilver's eye started to twitch as his face turned to a crimson hue of anger. “You… YOU INSOLENT FOOL!” he cried as his wings spread full span. “I was going to give you one final chance to atone for your sins but now…” The gray pony’s eyes narrowed towards the colt, “NOW YOU SHALL PAY, AND YOU WILL FEEL THE FULL WRATH OF THE GREAT AND MIGHTY CODEX!”

The White Knight

Quicksilver

Quicksilver flies towards Button Mash with deafening speed, determined to stop this brown subversive from his relentless crusade against his master, Codex. The colt simply sidestepped, narrowly avoiding impact with the pegasus with a straight face.

“Wha-” the pegasus’ mouth was open in shock, only for him to shake it off and dart towards Button again and again, missing his mark every time as the colt practically danced around him.

"Ugh, I don't have time for this Quicksilver,” Button groaned as he ducked and dodged the gray blur charging towards him, but the pegasus did not stop his relentless onslaught.

"If you wish to defeat Lord Codex then you will make time, for you shall not pass unless you defeat me!" Quicksilver charged towards Button for another round of quick attacks.


"I must inform Lord Codex of this!" The messenger quickly dismissed the guards who just reported in and ran to the throne room, barging through the grand doors.

“Lord Codex!” The messenger’s ears drooped as he saw the dark lord wake up unceremoniously from his nap on his throne, grumbling straight towards him.

"WHAT! WHAT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU FELT THE NEED TO BARGE IN MY THRONE ROOM!?" shouted Codex as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and outstreched his front legs in a yawning motion.

The messenger quickly bowed down in fear. "M-m-m-m-m-” the poor pony quavered, unable to get even a single word out.

Codex facehoofed in frustration at his babbling subject. “Just spit it out, will you? Unless you wish to have a cozy stay at the dungeon-”

“No no no,” the messenger laughed nervously while wiping some sweat of his mane, “that won’t be necessary.” He cleared his throat and began speaking. “My lord, we have just received news that Baelfel had gone on a rampage and he annihilated Arcedeus.”

Codex’s eyes almost expanded to the size of planets as he heard this news. “WHAT!?” he bellowed worriedly, shaking in his throne. Arcedeus was a formidable creature of immense strength. He was the guardian of the third world and he was supposed to be the last line of defense, should Button Mash best Quicksilver.

"My Lord! What do we do now?" the messenger shakily asked, concerned at his master’s shakened up disposition. “The third chain has been broken and Button Mash is closing in.”

The tyrant rubbed his temples, trying to get the gears in his head to churn on turbo. Everything was falling apart at the seams, and if he didn’t fix it, he might have some sort of supervillain mental breakdown. “Okay, so all my lackeys are kaput, my plans are falling apart at the seams and I’m running out of options. No problem,” the unicorn uneasily smiled until and idea popped into his head. “Get the pest’s fillyfriend and let’s take her on a little trip to the arena.”


"Hmph, well fought Button Mash!" Quicksilver complimented as he flew from point to point, trying to hit the brown colt who was jumping left and right. He was careful to not fly into anticipating hooves or readied buckings, as he had been battered and bruised by plenty of those already. “What inspires you to fight, young warrior?” the pegasus huffed, the fatigue of battle beginning to show on the gray pony. “Is there something you are fighting for?”

"Yeah, my family and friends,” Button replied as he ducked one of Quicksilver’s charges but was too slow to respond with a headbutt.

Quicksilver chuckled at Button Mash's typical answer. "Hah! And here I thought you was fighting Lord Codex so that YOU could take the throne.” He then tried to charge Button again, only to be met with a grapple by the young colt, locking them in a battle of strength

"I have no interest in the throne." Button replied as he tried wrangling his foe down, only to be slapped by a wing. "All I want to do is live a simple life."

The white knight raised a eyebrow. "If you have no interest in the throne then why are you here?" he asked. "Why would you go through all this trouble to fight Lord Codex?"

"Honestly, I wouldn't be fighting him if he hadn't fillynapped my girlfriend."

A sudden explosion interrupts the bout between the two. “What was that?” Button asked as they both broke their grip on each other. A thunderous roar filled the air as a humanoid figure came crashing down from above. The two ponies stared at each other, both coming to an unspoken agreement that there is a bigger matter between their fight at hoof. The duo slowly approached the figure only to discover that it was a half-burnt minotaur struggling to crawl away.

It didn’t get very far. Quicksilver and Button jumped opposite directions to avoid two huge claws crashing down on the minotaur. The two were looking at a huge red dragon right in front of them. The beast had two horns sticking out of its head, growling smoke out of its mouth. It’s the dragon I saw earlier! Button Mash thought.

The dragon slowly turned towards Button Mash, its tail almost flailing against Quicksilver’s head. The earth pony slowly backed away as the dragon licked its lower chops, puffing smoke out of its nose. Button quickly tried to roll to the side but he got caught in the dragon’s horn, flinging him away.

With Button out cold a dozen meters away, the dragon turned its attention to an unflinching Quicksilver whose wings were poised to go. “Come on!” he yelled as he took off at lightning speed, going directly under the dragon then flying upwards. The reptile fumbled a bit before he was able to take off as well, both flyers chasing each other in hot pursuit.

Button managed to stir after a few minutes, getting hazy glimpses of a big red blur and a small gray blur duking it out in the sky. Streaks of fire blazed the clouds, each one almost hitting the gray figure. Quicksilver could be seen zooming towards the dragon, only to bounce off due to the sheer thickness of its scale. When Button got to his hooves, he saw a big burning ball directly hit the pegasus, sending him spiraling down in smoke. The brown pony cried “Woah, woah, woah!” when he saw the dragon swoop up towards him. Unfortunately, his little brown legs could only carry him so far before the wings of a gargantuan monstrosity caught up with him. The dragon grabbed the terrified pony in his claws before whisking him away parts unknown.

Saving...

Save Completed...

Author's Note:

Next chapter will be the finale of Button Mash's adventure. It may take some time to write.