• Published 27th Jan 2014
  • 1,177 Views, 12 Comments

Discovering the Past - Astral Star and Company



Three ponies are subjected to a (not so subtle) investigation as their biggest secret is revealed. Strange and exciting events unfold as their quest for knowledge quickly becomes so much more important.

  • ...
1
 12
 1,177

Chapter 15: Complications Arise

A mere three days after Sunshine sent his plea for help, a letter riding a breeze of purple wind flew into his window and onto his bed. Not risking any magical traps, he had it directed to some of the Royal guard’s top specialists. Thankfully, there was no sign of any magical tampering, so Sunshine could read it in peace. A copy was sent over to Captain Iron Clad for the records.


The letter read:

Meet me at the Citadel gates at Midday. I will not be kept waiting. If you make it here, we will talk.

Signed, Celestia


Sunshine wasn’t sure what to make of it. He had seen that purple wind before, since Celestia’s letters to her faithful student were always transported that way. What worried him was the tone of the letter. It looked like nothing the Celestia he knew would write about. Despite this, he wasn’t willing to give up on the chance of getting home. He was halfway through packing his things when a Royal Guard knocked on his door.

“Lieutenant Smiles,” he saluted “Captain Clad would like to see you in his office, immediately

Sunshine gave a nod of his head and followed the guard to the squat stone building that was the Captain’s office.

Iron Clad sat in his chair, twirling a dagger in his hooves while critically examining the letter before him.

“Ok, Sunshine, I got some good news and some bad news,” he began “Which would you like to hear first?”

“Does it really matter?” Sunshine shrugged

“Not really. Good News is, you’re clear to go,”

“I’m sorry, what?”

“If what you’ve told me is true, then you’ve been looking for a way back to the future, correct?”

Sunshine nodded

“Well, I’ve been organising a couple things, and as soon as you’re ready, you may leave,”

“Thank you very much sir,”

“Don’t thank me yet, I haven’t gotten to the bad news,”

He started to gather his thoughts before breaking the news to him.

“We don’t have any guards to spare, so you’ll have to make the trip on your own. So you’ll have to be wary of bandits, rogues and the like. These are troublesome times you’ve landed in. In case this little venture doesn’t turn out as you’ve expected it, I’ll keep the Lieutenant spot open for you for the next week. What I can do for you is lend some supplies; you’ll get food, water and shelter. There should still be some guards over their supervising the last of the migration. When you see them, give them this,”

Iron Clad pulled out a sheet of paper with his magic, and set it on the table.

“This will get you access to the Citadel. I hoped I could do more for you, but we can’t really spare too much,”

“You’ve done a lot for me,” Sunshine said evenly “I can’t ask you for more, so thank you,”

“You are very welcome. Now, if there is anything you’d like to say, I dismiss you,”

He got up and saluted the bat pony before him

“The Royal Guard thanks you for your service, friend,” he smiled

Sunshine returned it, with a smile on his face “Likewise, friend,”

With that, Sunshine bolted right out the door and back to the barracks. Iron Clad chuckled and shook his head in wonderment.

“Looks like kids just never change,” he smiled


Mansion Subterranean Laboratory


“What do you think?” the tall white alicorn smiled

“I don’t know,” sighed the Doctor “I honestly don’t know. How are you doing that? How are you, Celestia?”

‘Celestia’ pouted at his response

“Honestly Doctor, I am a bit disappointed that you haven’t figured it out. In fact, you’ve been asking more questions than I’ve ever known you for,”

“And who are you?” he pointed “That isn’t any typical shape shifting spell, or illusion, I’d wager,”

“Correct. That little spell is a bit of changeling shape shifting combined with a spell of my own craft. I am Astral Star, currently in the body of your benevolent ruler, Princess Celestia,” he/she boasted, striking a dynamic pose

“And where is the real Celestia?”

“Oh, I’m sure she’s fine,” Astral assured him, using Celestia’s voice

“Actually,” pointed Verity “She’s currently in her throne room, maintaining the day court. An argument has erupted between a unicorn and a griffon over a bar fight,”

Verity said it so evenly and casually, that any other pony would’ve actually believed in what she said, straight away.

“And you know this, how?”

“Intuition,” she shrugged, throwing a wink towards Honour and the Celestia imposter that is Astral.

“Fine then,” he conceded “Have it your way,”

He turned to Astral “How good is that disguise?”

“As good as it gets,” he shrugged “Essentially, I am her. Flesh and blood, right down to her genetic code,”

“So, where is your actual body?”

“Non-existent, for the time being of course,” he smirked “A full body transformation,”

For once in over a hundred years, the Doctor was completely, and utterly, impressed. Verity took advantage of his stupor by lightly taking the lantern off his hooves.

“I’ll give it back later,” she smiled “Go on, watch the show,”

The Doctor gave a nod, and trotted over to where Honour Bound, and the transformed Astral stood. The little filly inside the sphere opened her eyes for the first time of its empty life. It regarded them with a blank stare. It conveyed no emotion, no recognition, only a response to movement and sound.

“Is that…?”

“Yes it is,” Astral confirmed “That is Matriarch Amaryllis’ new body,”

The little thing looked so small and weak. Child innocence was still evident. What it lacked, was a mind and soul. Without a mind, it could not remember, speak or move. Without soul, it could not feel. For now, the pony in the sphere, is just a body.

“How long have you been growing it?” the Doctor asked

“It’s taken us well over one year now,” Honour answered “Amaryllis only started talking to us on the night Luna returned,”

“But now that I have this,” added Astral, gesturing to his new body, and speaking through its voice “We’re probably not going to have to wait much longer,”

Astral now strode to the sphere, stepping over the runic circle that encompassed the floor around it. The circle’s blue light shimmered to gold in acknowledgment of Celestia’s magical power. Verity watched from above, having concluded business with the lantern. Astral closed his eyes, letting the runic circle’s warmth envelope him, swirling around him like a blanket of sunshine. The wind pciked up, and played with Celestia’s pastel mane, blowing back everything that wasn’t tied down. Astral opened his eyes, where once were blue irises, was now only white light.

He was ready.

Drawing forth all his and his current body’s magical power, he reared up. Runic light flared all around him, responding to his call. Letting loose a mighty roar, he slammed his fore hooves into the circle. Wings out stretched and horn pointed at the sphere, all the wild golden light coalesced at the tip of his horn. Swirling around its length, gaining in speed and intensity, upon reaching its climax, it was shot forth in a narrow piercing beam. The laser impacted the sphere with monumental force, but the rune circle prevented any movement. The light seeped into the sphere in wispy tendrils, wrapping around the body’s skin like bandages on a mummy.

The whole sphere transitioned from sky blue, to gold yellow. Minutes he spent doing this, pouring all the magical might he could muster into that sphere. Minutes more, and his new Alicorn body began to burn away. As he dug deeper, the form of Princess Celestia dissolved into blue sparks, starting at the tip of his horn, and ending at his hooves and tail. Astral stood in his real body, barely standing, only the force of his magic kept him upright. As the last of Celestia’s magic faded away, the golden light took on a light blue hue. The beam ceased its path, and rippled over the sphere, no longer seeping inside. Astral’s reserves, were now depleted, and he collapsed into the hard stone floor.

The sphere wasn’t done, however. The magic that was truly Astral’s, and not of Celestia’s form, coalesced at the body’s forehead. The body was now at its prime age, only a little over Fluttershy’s age. It has grown larger, and its mane and tail longer. Had she been walking around today, she would turn many stallion’s heads round in attention. The blue light around its head faded, leaving behind, to Honour Bound’s utter astonishment, a horn.

Mouth still agape, and eye’s wide, Honour Bound franticly went to the clipboard baring Amaryllis’ image. His eyes did not deceive him, the young mare in the painting, was an earth pony, while the mare in the sphere, was a unicorn. Verity sprinted down the remaining steps down, almost tripping over the last couple. The changeling and mare shared a confused and worried look, then turned it to an exhausted Astral Star.

He smiled sheepishly, scratching the back of his head.

“I just don’t know what went wrong?” he joked, although humour was the last thought on his mind.


Thousands of years ago…


Despite the fact that it took a little over an hour by train to get from Ponyville from Canterlot and vice-versa, it took only ten minutes for the trained bat pony. Part of his rigorous training regime, was the delicate and subtle art of gliding. The manipulation and use of natural air currents allowed for low effort, sustained flight with a relatively fast speed to boot. Coupled with the fact that the sky offered no obstructions and obstacles that the land did, it made quick travel a breeze.

Sunshine’s in flight euphoria stuttered as the land below where Ponyville should have been was naught but a field of grass. It only confirmed to him how close, yet so far away from his home. Putting all negative thoughts aside, he focused on the task at hand, getting to Celestia, for she was his only hope now.

Sunshine flew lazy arcs around where would be the Everfree’s perimeter, scanning for signs of pony activity. The wild, untamed forest’s edge was still several kilometres south east. The area below him was only normal woodland, which had a lighter green to its character than the Everfree. Sure enough, he finds a non-descript grey earth pony mare hauling as wagon full of furniture out of the forest. The night guard dove into a fast, but steady approach, spreading his wings metres from the ground to cushion the impact. He landed with a loud thud, and a small cloud of dirt in front of the pony. Said pony only looked at him with disinterested, half closed eyes.

She was a grey earth pony mare with a straight, earth brown mane and tail, the latter of which reached just short of her shoulders. Her cutie mark was a hammer crossed with a chisel. Her face conveyed no emotion whatsoever, but not like the way the Weeping Angel’s did. Hers only showed boredom, or disinterest in everything around her, including the sudden entrance of the tall, dark bat pony.

“Excuse me, ma’am,” greeted Sunshine with a nod of his head “I was wondering if you could direct me to the old castle,”

The mare looked up at him, and remained silent. Just when it was getting awkward, she finally spoke.

“Follow the path into the forest,” she said, in a mature but monotoned voice, indifferent to what he heard every day from the Canterlot receptionists “It winds a bit, but it’s only a few minutes walk. Once you’re there, talk to Second Leutenant Golden Lance. He’s at a big marble building west of the citadel, you can’t miss it,”

“Thank you kindly,” Sunshine said “Name’s Sunshine by the way,”

“Carver Pie,” she responded, letting a small smile emerge from her dull guise “See you ‘round,”

With that, they parted ways. Sunshine headed into the forest, following the path that Carver pointed out. Carver continued down a long winding road to Canterlot, a large wagon of furnishings in tow. After the chance meeting, a thought entered his mind. Could this Carver Pie be related to pinkie Pie, element of laughter? They had the same last name after all*.

“Nah,” he muttered, smiling to himself “Nopony that boring could be related to a mare like Pinkie Pie,”

The forest was a lot more different than the Everfree that would exist here a thousand odd years from now. For instance, it was very green, every leaf and stem had the same shade of prosperous growth. The trees here grew tall and strong, forming a thick canopy that let only small streams of sunlit through, but somehow still kept the forest well lit. Out of the corner of his eyes, Sunshine could see woodland animals cowering in the nearest bush. Birdcall and other natural sounds trilled through the trees, adding to the already cheery atmosphere. It was disheartening to see it so lively and full, only to know what would become of it in the future.

A short walk along a sandy dirt road later, he came upon a large clearing. Ahead of him stood the castle, in all its majestic glory. It strongly resembled the Canterlot Castle, but was very sturdy and made of grey stone than the marble white that the future one took. It was also smaller, and compacted, leading him to theorise that the castle was built for more functionality than aesthetic. Despite this, the architects still made an impressive building to look at. What worried him were the ruined stone houses across the bridge, every single one looked blasted to rubble. Those that still stood sported vicious holes and singe marks. Only a strong, wooden bridge spanning a small gorge with a river at the bottom, and a pair of guards, separated him from reaching it. The one to the right was a unicorn stallion, the same non-descript type that he’s seen several times before. The one to the left was a Pegasus mare, half a head shorter, but had the same colour scheme, mane cut, armour and weapons, consisting of a spear and long sword.

Gathering his thoughts, he marched up to the pair of guards, setting himself a stoic expression and confident gait.

“Greetings,” he said, saluting to the pair. They did not return it, but fixed him with a steely glare each.

“What business do you have, traveller?” the stallion sneered

Taken aback by the informality of his response, Sunshine let out a snort of disgust

“Is that any way to greet a fellow guard?” he asked innocently

“You’re no guard,” the stallion hissed “You are a filthy bat pony. Any friend of Nightmare Moon’s is an enemy of ours,”

The Royal Guard threw a sideways look at his companion, seeking for support. The poor mare jumped slightly, then nervously nodded her head. Sunshine noticed her behaviour, and found it intriguing.

“You see?” he continued “We hate your kind. You’re better off on the moon, with your mistress,”

Sunshine heaved a sigh, then glanced over to the mare. She shook slightly and held her spear close to her. Seeing no help in the mare’s eyes, Sunshine turned back to the stallion.

“How about this, Captain Iron Clad sent me here so that I may see Princess Celestia,” Sunshine explained

“More lies?” the stallion snorted “How about we have your sorry flank dragged into the dungeons in chains!”

The stallion then growled, hefting the spear in his magical grip, then hurled it at the Night guard, whistling through the air as it closed distance. Sunshine panicked for a moment at the guard’s sudden aggression, but quickly reassumed confidence. He bounded to his left, feeling the air displaced from the spear as it flew past him, stopping with a *thwack* into a nearby tree. The guard snorted in annoyance and drew his sword. The mare shuffled away, quickly and quietly, noticed only by Sunshine, but not the stallion in front of him.

“For Celestia!” the unicorn cried, and charged headlong into Sunshine, sword swinging wildly in front of him.