• Published 23rd Mar 2014
  • 6,359 Views, 106 Comments

A Lost Soul in a Dark World - TasteTheSun



When Twilight is ubducted, all her friends are devastated. A thousand years later, she returns, but in a different way, an evil way. But is there something more than to this than ruling Equestria?

  • ...
40
 106
 6,359

Chapter 7: A Mare, A Plan, and a Surprise Attack

Fire and smoke arose from the city outside the windows. Celestia continued trotting through the empty and battered halls of the palace. Blood stained the walls all over the hall, which was strange considering there was no one else with her. Just the sight of that sent chills up to her neck. She then heard distant laughter coming down the halls. She quickly took off to where the laughter was coming from. After passing several twists and turns through the palace, she arrived to the source of the laughter, the throne room.

Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and went inside. What she saw made her blood run cold. She saw Black Iron sitting casually on her throne.

"Twilight? What are you doing here?" Celestial asked nervously.

"For one, my name is Black Iron, and second, I'm here to take what's rightfully mine!" she replied harshly.

"And that would be?"

"My throne!"

Celestia was shocked to hear what Black Iron had just said.

"I'm also here to rule this kingdom and help it rise up from the ashes you kept it in. I'll lead this place far better than you ever did in a thousand years!" Black Iron added while stomping her metal platted hooves on the ground for emphasis. Celestia tried to mask her nervousness with a face of seriousness and determination and attempted to speak reason to her.

"Twilight, this isn't like you. You're not an empress threatening to rule Equestria with an iron hoof. Now please come down so we can work this out. I don't want this to be a repeat of what happened to Luna."

Black Iron smiled and wrapped her magic around Celestia and lifted her up off the ground. She held her up to where they were both at eye level. Celestia tried to break free, but the magical grip was too strong.

"I'm sensing a bit of fear and worry deep within you. Not from death, nor from losing your precious kingdom, but the loss of something precious, something that means a lot to you? Is it that I remind you of how your beloved sister turned into Nightmare Moon and threatened to rule Equestria under an eternal night? Is it that she actually saw the truth of things in my opinion? How you yourself ruined this kingdom under your weak compassion and merciful grace!? Or is it, that you are worried about losing your beloved friend the same way as your sister, of how you banished her to the moon? Tell me, did you do it for the sake of your sister, or the sake of you and your kingdom?" Black Iron said in a sinister tone.

"You monster! It was something I never wanted to do! I just didn't have any other choice. It's something I still think about and even regret to this day! And plus, Luna never saw your truth! She was consumed by the darkness, hatred, and jealousy that very much consumed you! So just as I said before, I didn't have any other choice!" Celestia replied forcefully.

"Oh Celestia, you pathetic oaf you. I'm afraid you're wrong about all that. And this is the very reason why you are just unfit to be ruler. You just don't seem to see the obvious. You also don't have the will to do what others cannot. All you do is worry. Worry about your sister, your so-called friends, yourself even! How do you think I came this far? Compassion is the true enemy that defeats us all. So remember this: no compassion and no mercy. Do that, and no one would dare to stand up against you. That's how one progresses in life!"

Celestia was terrified inside by what she was hearing, although she tried hard not to show it. Black Iron then floated up a long dagger from behind her and held it up next to Celestia's neck.

"Oh and one other thing I forgot to mention. Its always a good idea to remove certain ponies here and there in order to reach your goals," Black Iron said as she turned Celestia around, facing the windows.

"Let your burning kingdom be the last thing you see, and don't worry, I'll take good care of it for you," she said before turning Celestia back around while moving the dagger closer. It was then that the princess officially started to panic.

"Twilight, please! You don't have to do this! If there's anything I can do to make it up to you, I'll do it! Please don't let it end like this! I'm sorry!!!"

"The name is Black Iron!" she said with a cold and cruel voice as she slowly continued moving the dagger closer and closer to Celestia's throat. She finally snapped.

"TWILIGHT!!!!"

•••

Celestia shouted as she tossed and turned in her bed in her private chambers. She finally managed to wake up from her awful nightmare. She quickly began gasping for air as she rubbed her hoof around her neck. To her relief, it wasn't slit. She looked down on her pillow and felt that it was damp. She figured she'd been sweating a lot.

As she began to calm down, she got down from her bed and trotted towards the window. Looking out, she saw the moon high up in the night sky. As for Canterlot, it looked the same as usual, which was very good. That's when it hit her. How was Luna able to raise the moon if she wasn't around to lower the sun, and how long was she out?

Just then, her sister came bursting in through the doors.

"Celestia, are you ok?!?!" Luna asked frantically. Celestia then ran up to her sister and gave her a tight hug.

"Oh Luna, it was awful, just awful! I'm just so glad your ok," Celestia said as she continued hugging her sister.

"I'm glad your ok Celestia, but mind if I ask, were you dreaming about Nightmare Moon again?" Luna asked.

"I'm afraid it was much worse than that."

"Oh? Then what was it?"

"It was awful. I dreamt that Twilight, who looked exactly like that mare from the news, had taken over Equestria. But what was worse is that she was a lot different than what I remember."

"How different?" Luna pressed on. Celestia released her grasp on her sister and gave her a concerned look.

"She was evil. As evil as Nightmare Moon herself. Oh Luna, I just hope-, wait, you don't suppose...?"

Both princesses exchanged looks at the realization.

"Oh no, we got to find her to sort this out, where is she?" Celestia asked.

"From what I've been hearing, she's seized control over Manehattan and its entire police force. There's even a rumor going around there that she plans on capturing Ponyville before coming here," Luna said.

"Then there's no time to waste! We must dispatch the Royal Guard and alert Mayor Appleseed at once!" Celestia commanded. Luna nodded before heading on out the door. She was then stopped when Celestia asked her a question.

"Luna, how did you raise the moon without me lowering the sun for you?"

"Well, you've been out for quite a while so I had to lower it myself. I won't lie, it was a bit of a struggle doing so," Luna said.

"Thank you Luna," Celestia said before her sister left the room. Once she was sure she was alone, Celestia headed out onto her balcony and looked up at the starry night sky.

"Oh Twilight, please don't be that mare," Celestia whispered to herself.

•••

Manehattan

What once was a small town had blossomed into a great, powerful, and successful city through a thousand years of progress. It had once been a place where ponies would come to do business or simply come and sightsee. Now, it had practically gone to Tartarus.

The citizens there were in chains, forced into harsh labor. Wether to build defenses around the city or to simply do whatever their new leader told them to do. None of them were able to leave or even escape the downed city since the majority of Black Iron's guards kept patrolling around the it. They knew what the risks were in trying to escape. It got to the point to where they simply gave up on all hopes of freedom, and salvation.

They had to work until they dropped. If they didn't comply with their ruler's orders, then they were as good as dead.

Black Iron and Maxspell observed the city below from city hall. In the distance, they could see several of Celestia's guards around Manehattan. Both mares moved away from the windows. Black Iron then took a seat on her makeshift throne her gaurds made out of the former mayor's chair. The guards also turned the office into a throne room, decorating it with valuable items fit for royalty.

In the mean time, Longspear went rummaging through the mayor's desk. All he could find were documents and important bills that had never been signed, or vetoed. He then came across a drawer filled with cigars. He decided to grab one and popped it in his mouth.

"Eh, Equestria is going to hell anyway, so why not?" he thought as he lit the cigar. After taking in a breath, he immediately spat out the cigar and started coughing up black smoke that looked that of a dragon's.

"Ah... fuck me!... what kind of... brand are these!... there awful! I'm surprised... that old coot... didn't die sooner...!" he said in between coughs. Maxspell and Black Iron noticed, and all they did was give Longspear an annoyed glare.

"Longspear, quit goofing off and help us plan a way on how we are going to get passed Celestia's goons! They have us barricaded within this city, and we need to move on with our master plan!" Maxspell commanded. Longspear ignored her as he continued coughing up all the smoke from his lungs. He then grabbed the cigar and tossed it out the shattered window. Once he was sure all the smoke was out, he went to join several guards who were trying to open a wall safe. Maxspell and Black Iron also ignored him and went back to more pressing matters.

"Well, as I was saying, we need to find a way around those brutes, if we are to advance on to the capital," Maxspell said. Both mares then went into deep thought. After a while of thinking, an idea suddenly came to Black Iron. One that she would hope to work.

"I believe I might have an idea!" she said with a bit of enthusiasm in her voice. This filled Maxspell with excitement. She then returned her gaze towards Longspear, who was still trying to crack open the safe along with Ironhoof and several other guard members.

"Longspear, would you and Ironhoof please stop messing around and get over here!" she said forcefully. Ironhoof nodded and marched over to the two mares. Longspear rolled his eyes before trotting over to them.

"Ok, so what's the plan?" Maxspell asked.

A smile crept onto Black Iron's face of what she was about to tell them.

•••

The night had fallen upon the land. It was pitch black, considering that the moon couldn't provide it with its blueish glow due to the approaching thunderstorms. The only light there was, was the light that was emanating from the city. All of Celestia's Royal Guards had fallen asleep. Some stayed awake to cover the shifts they'de been assigned. All they did was just standing around guarding their fellow guards. One stallion, however kept his eyes focused on the city. One of the guards took notice of him and decided to confront him.

He went up and saluted. "Permission to speak freely Captain?" he asked formally.

"Permission granted, and at ease Private," The Captain replied.

"Any detectable movement Captain?"

"Nope. Nothin' ta report, yet. Although, ya know what's strange, all that aye been seein' are the enemy patrols and the enslaved civilians. Ah mean, we've been out here for several days now, an so far, there hadn't been any large enemy group movements, no... no enemy transports goin' in an out of the city, nothin',"

"I still don't understand why we can't go in and take whoever it is who took over Manehatten down?" the young private said.

"Because, we got explicit orders from the princess statin' that we do not interfere or else they might start harmin' the civilians. We are authorized to attack only when they are killin' the civilians... or us."

That last sentence sent chills up the private's spine. The Captain took notice of it.

"Listen son, don't you worry about nothin'. Just stick to your training and you'll make it outta here in one piece like we always do. So long as ya hold on ta that rifle there," he said, pointing at the private's assault rifle slung across his waist. He then nodded, gave a salute to his superior, and returned to his shift. The Captain also returned his gaze towards the city when suddenly, all the lights there were turning off. From the street lights to the lights in the office buildings, all of them were going out until the area was officially pitch black. Only the flashes of light from the lightning provided small glimpses of the city.

The old stallion quickly took out his binoculars and switched on the night vision. He looked out into the city to see if he could find anything. At first nothing, but as he started zooming in, he noticed the silhouette of a pony standing on the roof of one of Manehattan's tallest buildings. He continued zooming in so he could get a better focus on it. What he saw shocked him a bit.

Black Iron stood firmly in place on the ledge of the tall skyscraper. With both her horn, and the irises of her eyes aglow, she could see the guards out in the distance. She saw them scurrying around in the dark, trying to comprehend the situation. She then flew up into the stormy sky in hopes of blending in with the darkness around her and turned west towards an open field. She charged up the magic in her horn and fired onto the open ground. What followed was an enormous explosion. If the guards ponies didn't notice the lights going out in the city, then the big explosion surely did.

"Come on, take the bait!" Black Iron thought nervously to herself.

All of the guards below were frantically trying to get their gear ready. As for The Captian, he simply stood there watching the entire show with a smirk on his face.

"Ah Black Iron, ya crazy girl ya, what are ya plannin' there lass," he thought to himself before turning his attention towards his fellow guards. "Go an' investigate the source of that explosion. Aerial team, ah want ya ta get an aerial view of the area from above, now MOVE MOVE MOVE!!!" he commanded. All of the guards did what he told them to do and were off. The Captain then returned his gaze towards Black Iron through his binoculars, only to find that she was gone.

"What?! Where she go?!" he said as he frantically searched for her in the night sky.

•••

"I was really hoping we weren't going to come back down here. Aw shit that smells!" Longspear complained while walking through the sewer tunnel. Maxspell simply gave him an annoyed glare.

"Would you quit your bellyaching and get a move on! And that goes out to all of you too!" she said, referring to the hundreds of Black Iron's Royal Guard ponies. They complied with the command and began marching faster.

"How long is it til' we reach The Ponyville section of the sewers?" Longspear asked. Maxspell got a map out of her saddlebags and looked to see how much of a distance they were.

"About...... 20 miles straight ahead."

Longspear moaned at that as they continued behind her lead.

"Once all this is over, I'm spending the next few weeks trying to scrub all this gunk off me,"

Maxspell snickered and found joy in her accomplice's suffering as she continued on.

•••

Questions, Comments, Complements
Any errors are accepted, always room for improvement
Be sure to like and follow me both here and Twitter (@Pony3T)

Author's Note:

Hey guys!

Sorry for the long update. Been busy these last few weeks, what with all these final exams I need to do. Thankfully I was able to get this one up. Hope you enjoy, and I have no idea when I'll get the next chapter ready.

~From your number 1 and 03 pony, Pony 03